Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Origami Dali posted:

I forgot to mention, I also spend an embarrassing amount of time scouring youtube and archive.org for that very thing. I got a playlist of nothing but Halloween commercial reels and horror hotline numbers.

I like the Pannoni channels for commercial blocks, he has several of them and I really don't know what the difference between them is.

The other day I just plunked a YouTube commercial block on to kill some time at lunch, and saw the bumper for one of the channels I grew up with, and had the realization that I very well could have been watching that exact broadcast when I was 6 years old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVcqmRuzkrs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FilthyImp posted:

The Stranger Thing blues for S1 at Target are done in a really great packaging that just screams tactile nostalgia.

It'd be perfect if it was the kind of chunky textured plastic from the 80s.

I think the season 2 id like that

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

The Stranger Thing blues for S1 at Target are done in a really great packaging that just screams tactile nostalgia.

It'd be perfect if it was the kind of chunky textured plastic from the 80s.

Season 2 also has a Target exclusive case that's a clam shell style case.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Vinegar Syndrome's new VSU line's first title is a bluray/uhd combo for BEASTMASTER

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

Vinegar Syndrome's new VSU line's first title is a bluray/uhd combo for BEASTMASTER

drat you! I was just about to post

Look at that packaging tho!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

And Arrow is putting out a 4K of Tremors and a Blu Ray of Versus in December. I'm fuckin stoked.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Objective quality of videotapes aside, being able to easily record poo poo from a TV is something I miss and something I think is missing culturally. Like with streaming we are all just watching a preconceived library of tapes and nobody is recording a movie that played by chance and doing a bad job of skipping over the commercials.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FunkyAl posted:

Objective quality of videotapes aside, being able to easily record poo poo from a TV is something I miss and something I think is missing culturally. Like with streaming we are all just watching a preconceived library of tapes and nobody is recording a movie that played by chance and doing a bad job of skipping over the commercials.

People do it all the time, it's called DVR.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

There’s something different about having it as a physical object but also sacrificing space on a tape for something else. My sister was huge into recording music videos off MTV for years and she only had like 5 tapes when it was all said and done. Weird warping between blink 182 videos and jodeci or destiny child vids. Fun times.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

DVR is a bit limited though, you can't just take a tape out and let your friend borrow it, or sneak upstairs and record a movie with boobies in it during the Cinemax preview weekend, then hide it under your bed for watching the next time your parents leave you home alone.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Plex DVR, baby

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Lumbermouth posted:

And Arrow is putting out a 4K of Tremors

:aaa: About bloody time we get a decent version of this.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Steen71 posted:

:aaa: About bloody time we get a decent version of this.

It’s limited edition. I already ordered mine.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Gripweed posted:

What's the appeal? I'm sure I don't have to list all the ways VHS tapes are the worst media storage system. You'd think if people were gonna bring a defunct media back it would be laserdiscs, you get that nice huge coverart. Or even beta, for tech nerd points and Vaporwave style

https://youtu.be/_oJs8-I9WtA

This video explains Beta vs VHS better than I ever could.

Also, CED discs are the worst media storage system. All the drawbacks of laserdiscs, videotapes, and vinyl records in one plastic package!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Happy to see Arrow jumping in the UHD game with both feet. They did a good job with Pitch Black and I'm definitely gonna grab their King of New York UHD as well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Personally I hope in 20 years when people get nostalgic for lovely State Farm adverts, there's no evidence remaining that they ever existed.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Basebf555 posted:

GIve me a dvr that is a rewriteable, linear dvd disc, that i can also scratch like a dj does to a record to do dope image cycles

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FunkyAl posted:

TV doesn't really have the same cultural position any more anyway. I barely watch tv and I doubt it's where people go to see random movies on a Saturday afternoon, even though when I was a kid my primary way of exposing myself to great and terrible movies was just watching the Sci-Fi Channel or USA Up All Night. What we have now with streaming is a greater amount of control over watching what we want, but far less of a chance of stumbling upon something wonderful or captivating at 3:00am. Sometimes there were even boobs on the CBC summer movie series that I was able to watch because I grew up near the Canadian border.

The little tv I still watch consists of those weird digital subchannels like This!TV and Comet, because they preserve the experience of getting a random sampling of weird stuff I've never seen before.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

gey muckle mowser posted:

region free according to their Facebook page

Thank you, ordered this now.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

usa UP all night

Fixed it for you.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
They’ll sell a non-SE of that Tremors 4K right? I have no interest in all that extra stuff, but def want 4k Tremors.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Boywhiz88 posted:

They’ll sell a non-SE of that Tremors 4K right? I have no interest in all that extra stuff, but def want 4k Tremors.

That’s usually how Arrow does it. You won’t get the second disc, which doesn’t sound that amazing anyways.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

So Shout is doing an Army of Darkness 4K ( a media play excerpt) early next year:

https://lsc-pagepro.mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?m=53795&i=674082&p=12

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

So Shout is doing an Army of Darkness 4K ( a media play excerpt) early next year:

https://lsc-pagepro.mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?m=53795&i=674082&p=12

So, this will be my third triple dip

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

A home video format isn't a home video format until it has three separate releases of the Evil Dead trilogy on it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

caligulamprey posted:

A home video format isn't a home video format until it has three separate releases of the Evil Dead trilogy on it.

It really is amazing at just how many versions of those movies got released on DVD. Somehow I think Army of Darkness had twice the number of versions of both the first two combined.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Even back in like 2004 it took an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of all of them. I can't imagine what it's like now.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

caligulamprey posted:

That one rubbery book version of the first one looked cool as hell on the shelf at Best Buy in 2002. One of the RedLetterMedia people busted his out during a video and apparently it like totally dissolved. Shame.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

TV doesn't really have the same cultural position any more anyway. I barely watch tv and I doubt it's where people go to see random movies on a Saturday afternoon, even though when I was a kid my primary way of exposing myself to great and terrible movies was just watching the Sci-Fi Channel or USA Up All Night. What we have now with streaming is a greater amount of control over watching what we want, but far less of a chance of stumbling upon something wonderful or captivating at 3:00am. Sometimes there were even boobs on the CBC summer movie series that I was able to watch because I grew up near the Canadian border.

The little tv I still watch consists of those weird digital subchannels like This!TV and Comet, because they preserve the experience of getting a random sampling of weird stuff I've never seen before.

What I miss is the idea of a local braodcast that's free streaming in a way "streaming" is not. Same with radio. Everywhere should have a team of fools making at least one crappy show and trade in syndication

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheScott2K posted:

That one rubbery book version of the first one looked cool as hell on the shelf at Best Buy in 2002. One of the RedLetterMedia people busted his out during a video and apparently it like totally dissolved. Shame.

I have that version, I haven't looked at it in a couple years, but the coating is definitely flaking off, still cool to flip through the pages though.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

TheScott2K posted:

Yep I have both the ED and ED2 Book of the Dead editions, bought back in 2002 and 2005 respectively. And they're totally destroyed despite being stored and handled with the utmost of care (as I do with all of my movies). The latex has completely dried out. Everytime I pick it up a big chunk of it falls off. It's like handling bone dry leaves.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yep I have both the ED and ED2 Book of the Dead editions, bought back in 2002 and 2005 respectively. And they're totally destroyed despite being stored and handled with the utmost of care (as I do with all of my movies). The latex has completely dried out. Everytime I pick it up a big chunk of it falls off. It's like handling bone dry leaves.

I remember some DVD that had fake blood in a plastic pouch on the cover. I wonder that those look like now.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Gripweed posted:

I remember some DVD that had fake blood in a plastic pouch on the cover. I wonder that those look like now.

Oooh I have that one too! The first unrated Saw release on DVD. Funny, I just looked at it a few days ago. All of the red coloring is gone and the liquid is about 90% evaporated.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I've got that first book of the dead edition and it's still in great shape. Maybe some of the batches of latex were weaker than others.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Spatulater bro! posted:

Oooh I have that one too! The first unrated Saw release on DVD. Funny, I just looked at it a few days ago. All of the red coloring is gone and the liquid is about 90% evaporated.

So it's more mysterious and confusing than scary now.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

TheScott2K posted:

At 1:23 if auto play doesn’t work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFXFvYeP8Kw&t=83s

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FunkyAl posted:

What I miss is the idea of a local braodcast that's free streaming in a way "streaming" is not. Same with radio. Everywhere should have a team of fools making at least one crappy show and trade in syndication

I live in a spot where I can get both Cincinnati and Dayton on an indoor antenna.

It really is interesting to see exactly how little variation there is among the markets. They both have the same syndicated sitcoms (Big Bang Theory, The Goldbergs, Black-ish, Mom, Mike and Molly, 2 Broke Girls, etc.), reality shows, and talk shows, the only differences are the time slot.
Even when they occasionally show a movie during a lazy weekend afternoon, you'll see the same movie either the next day or next week crop up in the other market.

There just isn't any local programming anymore, which is kind of sad TBH.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

FunkyAl posted:

There are weird Roku channels that offer stuff like this.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Maxwell Lord posted:

There are weird Roku channels that offer stuff like this.
Pluto TV is pretty much perfectly that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Spatulater bro! posted:

I have that, too - mine is in basically the same condition.