Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Smoking Crow posted:

here's a story about vf

so yu suzuki is a crazy person. we all know this. when vf1 (i think) was being mocap'd, he came in to observe and micromanage because that's what he does. he saw the bajiquan expert doing akira shoulder and wanted to know how powerful it was. so he lined up with him and told him to hit him with it as hard as he could. the bajiquan guy did not want to do it because he'd risk breaking this skinny nerd's sternum and ribs, but suzuki made him do it. the guy does the shoulder and yu flies back 10 feet into the wall and everyone thought he was dead. he was ok and i'm pretty sure this is why akira shoulder does so much damage even to this day

Its also his trump card in DFC it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
is this why the shoulder check is the only move ryo learns in shenmue 3?

twice?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

here's a story about vf

so yu suzuki is a crazy person. we all know this. when vf1 (i think) was being mocap'd, he came in to observe and micromanage because that's what he does. he saw the bajiquan expert doing akira shoulder and wanted to know how powerful it was. so he lined up with him and told him to hit him with it as hard as he could. the bajiquan guy did not want to do it because he'd risk breaking this skinny nerd's sternum and ribs, but suzuki made him do it. the guy does the shoulder and yu flies back 10 feet into the wall and everyone thought he was dead. he was ok and i'm pretty sure this is why akira shoulder does so much damage even to this day

this is how all fighting games should be balanced

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

here's a story about vf

Lol

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

this is how all fighting games should be balanced

Imagining Ed Boon being hit in the nuts and uppercutted to properly balance Johnny Cage.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Smoking Crow posted:

here's a story about vf

I want this to be real and I need a source

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Just watch, the new VF will be a dating game with gacha elements.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

GOTY

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Pai-chan <3

We are finally together~

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

This really raises the question of why aren't all fighting games also dating games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

i too, hope its good

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The Sakura Wars of fighting games, where based on the dating sim segments your character gains moves and stats.

The evo top 8 will take forever

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wtf, sega?
Announce a game or shut up

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

dont play with my emotions

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Are people overreacting, or is the new patch for GBVS the actual death knell for the game as they're saying?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Manoueverable posted:

Are people overreacting, or is the new patch for GBVS the actual death knell for the game as they're saying?

How can you slay the dead

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Elvis_Maximus posted:

As someone who never played virtua fighter, what do you guys love about it?

I've only played a bit of doa, so that's my only exposure to vf characters at all which I assume isn't exactly the best introduction.

Always preferred 2D stuff, and in the past few years Tekken I guess

To me VF5 is like SFII. It's very simple but the game is pretty fast and damage is pretty beefy so even before you know combos it feels like you can dish out damage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Manoueverable posted:

it nerfed ferry into the ground so as far as im concerned nowhere to go but up

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Manoueverable posted:

Probably depends whether you played Gran/Ferry/Percival or Soriz/Beelzebub/Lowain. Pour one out for the innocent Meteras, though.

And if you played Ladiva you should really know what to expect to happen to arcsys grapplers by now and can only blame yourself.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I play Katalina so the EX fireball nerf hurts for corner combos but I haven't done too much experimenting to know where she stands otherwise.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

chumbler posted:

And if you played Ladiva you should really know what to expect to happen to arcsys grapplers by now and can only blame yourself.

I hate this poo poo so much.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Cross posting from the Tasteless Tattoos thread:

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I’m thinking about getting a Japanese Traditional E. Honda tat, but I definitely don’t want it to look like Donald Trump took up the sport of Sumo.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBRXh_3pjHd/?igshid=187s8giu3paqe

(If that was the intention then it might belong in the other thread...)

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Yardbomb posted:

Give Wolf a 619 and hurricanrana you cowards.

I'm pretty sure El Blaze was invented just for that.

Wolf's Frankensteiner is awesome and I feel like a million bucks when I hit it. He also used to have a stunner (back+K+G into throw) in VF4 with a pretty strict timing that I just loved seeing but I think it got turned into some kind of head lock multi throw starter in VF5.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of throws, big flashy throws are cool, but I like the simplicity of SF4 Sagat's or young Zeku's back throws, just fully pick them up and chuck them behind you. No twirls or punches or knees or anything, just toss em.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
Thanks for letting me know about the fexl sale, thread. Gonna enjoy trying that out this weekend.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

so are they rebooting VF? because thats what its sounding like

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

As long as Shun Di is there I’m a happy man.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Manoueverable posted:

A lot of the stuff isn't that bad in practice (rip Ladiva tho) but it's hard to get hype for a patch that's 80% nerfs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nobody knows until Sega says something more than "here's a pic of Akira's back"

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Manoueverable posted:

They hit a lot of characters in unpopular ways in a game that... doesn't have a lot of characters to begin with.

I wouldn't go as far as saying this is the actual killing blow but no one is really coming out of this patch at anything better than barely lukewarm at best, RIP at worst (pour one out for Ladiva) unless you play Bubs

Edit: Oh lol Gran's Medium Boot got the Ky Stun Dipper treatment in terms of "lol unsafe on hit unless exactly properly spaced." As a Ky main forever, that loving sucks for them

MechaX fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 26, 2020

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Lots of Arika and Akira in this thread

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

chumbler posted:

Speaking of throws, big flashy throws are cool, but I like the simplicity of SF4 Sagat's or young Zeku's back throws, just fully pick them up and chuck them behind you. No twirls or punches or knees or anything, just toss em.

Daimon does this, but then executes a front throw. He's pretty strong like that.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Manoueverable posted:

The stuff there nerfing is stuff that made each character feel like bullshit to fight but the danger in nerfing all the strong characters is just making the game INCREDIBLY boring.

Basically the patch might turn GBVS into early SFV.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Lol imagine if the Virtua fighter announcement turns out to be nothing I’d get a heart attack on the spot.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Lol imagine if the Virtua fighter announcement turns out to be nothing I’d get a heart attack on the spot.

I mean I would settle for a steam port of VF5. I just want to play some drat virtua fighter again

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

mango sentinel posted:

The stuff there nerfing is stuff that made each character feel like bullshit to fight but the danger in nerfing all the strong characters is just making the game INCREDIBLY boring.

Basically the patch might turn GBVS into early SFV.

A fate worse than death :gonk:

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

V i r t u a F i g h t e r. (Rollback please)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

"To keep up with modern demands, we've made the game only playable via link cable."

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
The reason nobody likes the granblue patch is because its a game with already waning popularity, and they nerfed 70% of the cast lol. There's like no reason to go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
it's still fun and I will be there for cags