Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

similarly, berserk loving whips rear end and i will die on that goddamn hill if i have to, whereas i really don't know what the gently caress miura was thinking with that other manga and i don't want to find out.

He was thinking about nude children. This isn't hard (like he was.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

How long should something have been over with before it's acceptable to post about it in here?

There's no limit, as long as we are just discussing something that happened and not trying to fight about it/litigate it/have a slapfight, like the above is risking turning into.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nuns with Guns posted:

He was thinking about nude children. This isn't hard (like he was.)

the thing is, by all appearances, kentaro miura is not a man who thinks pedophilia is extremely cool and good; the protagonist of Berserk is a child sexual abuse survivor, and it's handled almost weirdly realistically. his assault is portrayed as a completely horrifying thing done to him by a monster and taken dead seriously, and it informs his characterization very heavily through the whole story in ways that can be summarized as "poo poo hosed him up bad."

like, berserk is dark as all hell and has some rough fuckin content in it, but very little of it is handled in ways that give me any kind of inclination that the dude's actually a bad person vs. being a good person who's writing a story about bad poo poo. and the times it does step on rakes, it... well, steps on rakes. you can see what the dude was trying to do with it, he just didn't exactly land where he wanted to.

and then that goddamn naked child manga happened, and now i'm not even sure what the gently caress to think, because it seems insane to me that the same person could write Guts' backstory and characterization and then turn around and be like "hell yeah naked children." i feel like a lot of the people defending it were kind of in a similar boat to me on this, they just decided the answer was to dig deep into his artistic influences and try to puzzle out WTF he was trying to do, as opposed to throwing it out the goddamn window because if you have to work that hard to puzzle out his intent, his intent probably doesn't fuckin' matter all that much.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Do you remember when bird nixed conversations about child abuse and paedophilia from the sagas thread?

Maybe we could do that!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

stop digging, dude

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

tight aspirations posted:

Do you remember when bird nixed conversations about child abuse and paedophilia from the sagas thread?

Maybe we could do that!

probably a good idea. i only even jumped into this conversation because rhino decided to call me out from left field, and i don't like thinking about the subject.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the thing is, by all appearances, kentaro miura is not a man who thinks pedophilia is extremely cool and good; the protagonist of Berserk is a child sexual abuse survivor, and it's handled almost weirdly realistically. his assault is portrayed as a completely horrifying thing done to him by a monster and taken dead seriously, and it informs his characterization very heavily through the whole story in ways that can be summarized as "poo poo hosed him up bad."

like, berserk is dark as all hell and has some rough fuckin content in it, but very little of it is handled in ways that give me any kind of inclination that the dude's actually a bad person vs. being a good person who's writing a story about bad poo poo. and the times it does step on rakes, it... well, steps on rakes. you can see what the dude was trying to do with it, he just didn't exactly land where he wanted to.

and then that goddamn naked child manga happened, and now i'm not even sure what the gently caress to think, because it seems insane to me that the same person could write Guts' backstory and characterization and then turn around and be like "hell yeah naked children." i feel like a lot of the people defending it were kind of in a similar boat to me on this, they just decided the answer was to dig deep into his artistic influences and try to puzzle out WTF he was trying to do, as opposed to throwing it out the goddamn window because if you have to work that hard to puzzle out his intent, his intent probably doesn't fuckin' matter all that much.

Okay, I don't think you are defending the pedo manga, I want to make that clear. But you have to understand that goons are necessarily skeptical of people trying to 'contextualize' pedophiles. Posting as many words as you have in defense of the one of the works of a pedophile, whatever the context, is going to activate some goons' pedo senses. This is especially true as this thread is not here to discuss Berserk. I would say, if you are going to defend Berserk, especially outside of a Berserk thread, keep it short. "I still like Berserk, but that pedo manga was something else, and it makes me wonder about the author" expresses pretty much the same thing, but doesn't make other goons wonder why you are putting so many words into defending a pedophile.

Just some friendly advice. Take or leave it as you see fit.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

luxury handset posted:

when the kool aid man arrives, something good is about to happen

A drywall contractor is gonna get a fat paycheck?

Those ads were funny and great when I was a kid, but now that I'm grown and struggling to find housing in this poo poo economy, all I can picture is the parents crying off camera "how are we gonna afford these repairs, honey? We should've bought the kids some Sunny D. Or even The Purple Stuff."

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Sep 25, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Berserk IS a classic manga. It eventually goes off the rails and gets boring, but early Bersek is like "what the comics format can do".

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Well, to me it's not just the manga with the story by him and drawn by his assistants that features nude children that sets off warning bells, but the prior short comic he did a few years ago about a magical child goddess who could empower a warrior guy by pissing on his face and riding around standing on his shoulders in a dress and calling attention to the fact that he could look up and see stuff if he wanted.

You can still like or appreciate the influence Berserk has on all sorts of media properties for the past 30 years, and the creator having an obvious and uncomfortable fixation on children doesn't invalidate that. You don't need to run into and preempt people bashing Berserk because the author's done other creepy comics, either, though and that just makes you look like a tool.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Thank you for keeping Berserk-chat from devolving too much, but let's move on.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
less 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐝𝐮𝐦𝐩 circle jerk, more 𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓲𝓬𝓼

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
addendum i just caught up to this beserk part of the thread and i 𝚍𝚒𝚍𝚗𝚝 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍 the manga but it's almost worse

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Can someone post some classic Hakan stories

He was a GBS superstar in the early/mid(?) 2000s, who'd post these big e/n-type threads that always ended on a really weird note. At some point it became a bannable catchphrase to call out other posters with "you're no hakan"

There are some in the Saclopedia, but they're pretty new (the first replies are all "oh hey you're back" or some poo poo)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I always though Hakan was the guy in this Genesis game who looked like Eddie from Iron Maiden, but with a big floppy hat and two katanas like the world's first neckbeard

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Phy posted:

I always though Hakan was the guy in this Genesis game who looked like Eddie from Iron Maiden, but with a big floppy hat and two katanas like the world's first neckbeard

The Forever Man

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Phy posted:

https://youtu.be/GzGlWVG5_IQ

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Spanish Manlove posted:

One of the first things I did as a mod a long time ago was to search my username in the reports forum. The only notable things I remember were a few reports for posting about things that made me happy in the "bitch about things that make you mad" thread in pyf

Ya know I never wanted to know what reports I had against me but I can't stop wondering. Thanks for that

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Len posted:

Ya know I never wanted to know what reports I had against me but I can't stop wondering. Thanks for that

if you didnt have one before, you have one now :wink:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I sneaked in and checked, mine are all people just noting what a cool guy I am who enjoys cool stuff, like videogames.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Looks like taxman's announcement is gone

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Looks like taxman's announcement is gone

i think that those are set to show for only a certain period

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah, just like stickied threads I think, you set the number of days for it to be up when you post it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Oh that makes sense.

Also, patron saint of LF PRON HAUL had a stroke live on stream. What a year.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

what

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Oh that makes sense.

Like a stroke stroke or stroking stroke?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1309553112991043586
content warning: ron paul has a stroke

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Len posted:

Didn't occur to me to check mine, as an IK with the ability to do that, until you mentioned it.

I have one report. It is from me (when I just got my buttons and wanted to see how probing someone worked). I guess I either don't suck as a poster, or am completely ignored/inconsequential as far as the forums go. I'll take either. :shrug:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Didn't occur to me to check mine, as an IK with the ability to do that, until you mentioned it.

I have one report. It is from me (when I just got my buttons and wanted to see how probing someone worked). I guess I either don't suck as a poster, or am completely ignored/inconsequential as far as the forums go. I'll take either. :shrug:

resisting the urge to report this post.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

JacquelineDempsey posted:

IKs can see the report forum now?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Oh, Ron Paul himself. I thought you meant a former goon from LF.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Moon Slayer posted:

Oh, Ron Paul himself. I thought you meant a former goon from LF.

Lol if you don't think Ron "Infrateal" Paul was posting in Laissez's Faire

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wasnt there a goon named "pron haul"?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh drat that's freaky.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Someone started a "chill" landlord thread in byob.

It immediately descend into honeybee chat and is being watched to ensure it stays chill. Very good chance the byob mods are going see a cspam mob rushing in to demand blood and death.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

pentyne posted:

Someone started a "chill" landlord thread in byob.

It immediately descend into honeybee chat and is being watched to ensure it stays chill. Very good chance the byob mods are going see a cspam mob rushing in to demand blood and death.

it's not a "chill' landlord thread, it's a chill "landlord" thread

beekeepers, lawn care providers, hedge wizards, et cetera

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

We are achieving apotheosis as this thread has moved on from being the source of sagas to speculating on what threads might yet create sagas in the hopes of stoking interforum conflict :allears:

Personally, I'm excited for when the saga stock market opens up. GRVR IPO looking hot!

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Going back to older sagas, but Groverhaus just came up on a (non-SA) discord I'm on and it's still funny as hell.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

LostCosmonaut posted:

Going back to older sagas, but Groverhaus just came up on a (non-SA) discord I'm on and it's still funny as hell.

I remember being endeared to donoteat's podcast when a bunch of non-SA folks already knew about it and the rumors that sprang up around it (load-bearing drywall).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

LostCosmonaut posted:

So, dumb question maybe, but the Groverhaus is mocked for quite a lot of things, but am I right to assume that it was basically a poor quality DIY design that as a consequence of Grover's ego means that rather then lasting say 40-50 years it's going to only last 10-20? Like any major repair would end up compromising the structure further, so no matter what it's the equivalent of a regular house just with cancer?