Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

Pluto TV is pretty much perfectly that

I just had a thought. Despite having an antenna for my local channels, the market I'm technically in, shows up on Pluto (Cincinnati only), and it's making me wonder if I can change that filter and get the channels for other regions, and see what makes the evening news in Glendive, MT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Roku really seems like the only place for weird public access style programming, since it's relatively cheap and easy to launch a channel on there. But their browse function ain't great and a lot of it is recycled templates full of the same 100 public domain movies everyone has, or 2000s era dtv trash that probably sold the rights for crazy cheap in bulk packages, so you gotta dig around for the good stuff. There's this one channel called American Horrors thats a 24/7 stream that plays old shot on video horror, music videos, trailers etc. You can't browse anything or pause, it's just a running channel, which I like. Occasionally you'll find some real weirdo poo poo clearly made by some guy in his basement.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Laserdisc would be a lot more fun or perhaps laserdisc-sized packaging. I wouldn't trust any VCR with a rare tape, but laserdisc players were built to last.

My Sony LD player is from 1993 and it still works flawlessly, plus I have discs from 1978 and 1980 that still play without fault.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If I had truly too much money, I would collect Gundam Laserdiscs. They all have such great coverart

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Iron Crowned posted:

I live in a spot where I can get both Cincinnati and Dayton on an indoor antenna.

my condolences

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

Roku really seems like the only place for weird public access style programming, since it's relatively cheap and easy to launch a channel on there. But their browse function ain't great and a lot of it is recycled templates full of the same 100 public domain movies everyone has, or 2000s era dtv trash that probably sold the rights for crazy cheap in bulk packages, so you gotta dig around for the good stuff. There's this one channel called American Horrors thats a 24/7 stream that plays old shot on video horror, music videos, trailers etc. You can't browse anything or pause, it's just a running channel, which I like. Occasionally you'll find some real weirdo poo poo clearly made by some guy in his basement.

Yeah I watch that sometimes, also the B-Zone, and B-Movie TV.

I really wish there was some good online resource for what channels are out there and what's good, because Roku itself is singularly unhelpful.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
There are DVD players that record if you want physical copies of poo poo off of tv and I mean, it's not like you can't just use a VCR.

Latex breaks down after time. That's why someone has that horrifying avatar of the Ninja Turtle. A lot of old movie poo poo ends up like that. I had a sand people mask I got from Disney World when I was a kid and years later it just turned into goo and I threw it out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CPL593H posted:

That's why someone has that horrifying avatar of the Ninja Turtle.

That sounds awful and it shouldn’t be allowed.

I’m mainly sad that after I made it, literally 2 days later I was elsewhere on the net and someone had the same pic as theirs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m mainly sad that after I made it, literally 2 days later I was elsewhere on the net and someone had the same pic as theirs.

Thank you for replying because I was too lazy to dig up one of your posts.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I have one of the masks from the bank robbery in the dark Knight and it's fallen apart almost completely.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
If you have a Roku you NEED to install B-Movie TV

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

It reminds me of the episode of Transformers where Optimus Prime’s destroyed corpse comes back to life and has an eye hanging out and is missing part of his mouth cover.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Can you get B-movie tv on non-Roku devices. I never bothered getting one because I use my Xbox for that.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

Pluto TV is pretty much perfectly that

The pluto tv this old house channel is my "chill beats to study to"

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I just bought my first new TV in over a decade and
I’m really enjoying some of this 4K content I’ve been streaming. It’s over twice the size of my old TV and while my blu rays still look pretty good, DVDs look pretty disappointing. It seems like a good time to get into 4K physical media because a lot of older stuff is finally getting releases and I could leapfrog the blu ray format for the DVDs I never upgraded.

I’ve been looking around for a player and I haven’t been able to find one that uses a Bluetooth remote. All of my media equipment is in a closet 20 feet away from my TV, and a PS4 is my current blu ray player so the remote works just fine. Does anyone know of one that might work in this situation? I have a feeling the right answer might be PS5, but it doesn’t look like that supports Dolbyvision or Atmos.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I'm having some Mario Bava issues. Kino and Arrow have released editions of the same films... which releases are better? I have Arrow's Black Sabbath, Lisa and the Devil / House of Exorcism, and Baron Blood, and Kino's Black Sunday, Hatchet for the Honeymoon, and Black Sabbath (AIP cut). I also have the Arrow's steelbook for Blood and Black Lace. I am wondering which edition of Five Dolls for an August Moon and especially A Bay of Blood looks best, Arrow or Kino? I can't get a clear answer when I read reviews. Region coding doesn't matter, I am region free.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

ultraviolence123 posted:

I am wondering which edition of Five Dolls for an August Moon and especially A Bay of Blood looks best, Arrow or Kino? I can't get a clear answer when I read reviews. Region coding doesn't matter, I am region free.

Caps-a-holic is your friend. The former clearly uses the same scan and are identical: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=7317&d2=7318&s1=69462&s2=69474&i=0&l=0

The latter is more problematic: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=13250&d2=13249&s1=132444&s2=132407&i=1&l=0
The Arrow edition looks like it was from a more recent scan, but I prefer the colour scheme of the Kino (it has blue skies). The Arrow also has slightly elevated blacks in the darker screen caps.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

tonedef131 posted:

I just bought my first new TV in over a decade and
I’m really enjoying some of this 4K content I’ve been streaming. It’s over twice the size of my old TV and while my blu rays still look pretty good, DVDs look pretty disappointing. It seems like a good time to get into 4K physical media because a lot of older stuff is finally getting releases and I could leapfrog the blu ray format for the DVDs I never upgraded.

I’ve been looking around for a player and I haven’t been able to find one that uses a Bluetooth remote. All of my media equipment is in a closet 20 feet away from my TV, and a PS4 is my current blu ray player so the remote works just fine. Does anyone know of one that might work in this situation? I have a feeling the right answer might be PS5, but it doesn’t look like that supports Dolbyvision or Atmos.

It sucks thinking about all the niche stuff on DVD that will never get a better resolution release, like all the director's label compilations. It's half the reason I'm clinging to my last run 1080p plasma from 2013, 85% of my library is either SD or FHD. Eventually I'll go all in on uhd collecting or 8k if that becomes a thing on the media side (8k tvs are out there for purchase, 8k gpus now exist) but I think I'm gunna be one of those people with a SD/FHD second screen somewhere like all those CRT weirdoes

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I can't imagine wanting to go 8K in the next decade—4K UHD looks perfect to my brain. With Blu I always noticed the black compression and lots of smearing and such, but the 4K picture quality is just so ideally invisible that I can't imagine what 8K could possibly bring to the table that would make it worth it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

feedmyleg posted:

I can't imagine wanting to go 8K in the next decade—4K UHD looks perfect to my brain. With Blu I always noticed the black compression and lots of smearing and such, but the 4K picture quality is just so ideally invisible that I can't imagine what 8K could possibly bring to the table that would make it worth it.

depending on the scan it would be diminishing returns..something shot on 35mm in ideal conditions can pull a 8-9k scan in terms of line resolution*
*to clarify- older film stock was much slower (tighter/less grain structure) so, say your film was shot on 50iso (very slow) and the density of the negative was perfectly exposed, you were at the sweet spot of sharpness on the cinema lenses you had, etc etc. you could produce an 8k master from that and it would blow you away

..large format stuff though..dear god. i've been lucky enough to see 2001 and lawrence projected 70mm, and i'd imagine it's that interms of clarity but on a smaller screen at shorter distances

anything digital or with cgi/digital vfx which is the majority of what most people want, not so much. the alexa that the majority of things get shot on is 2.8k (not counting the LF/65 versions), computer graphics still aren't finished at anything over 2k as the norm as far as I know..maybe someone like Cameron is futureproofing and rendering at 4/8 or higher but i don't see that 2k ceiling changing that fast. 6k seems to be the average resolution now for even bottom tier cinema cameras, but the storage and processing increases required as you go up that scale still make it kind of pointless

e: also, my 2020 smartphone shoots (probably very limited bit range/compressed like hell) 8k..I have a feeling the next few years of tradeshows will be pushing 8k the same way 4k was

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 27, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

4K adoption is so slow right now, 8K adoption is nonexistent

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dorium posted:

4K adoption is so slow right now, 8K adoption is nonexistent

I would disagree just in the sense that new consoles come out this year that hinge on 4k which is the type of thing that pushes adoption rates...same with GPU prices being pushed down with new releases this year (10 series is more common than 20 or 30 series, so you'll see that same cycle flip over to more 20 series cards in the majority)

Plus try finding a non 4k TV..from what I can gather there you're looking at buying something from 2018 or older at this point.

I'd agree with actual 4k media sales though, that's not pushing sales of sets like 4k streaming and 4k gaming sadly. It's all very chicken and egg, but it does seem like more labels are getting into UHDs finally (the ones that don't own streaming networks anyway)

from my vague recollection in terms of 8k stuff, i'm pretty sure they did an 8k scan of wizard of oz

quote:

The Process
MPI scanned each of the three-strip Technicolor nitrate film negatives at 8K 16-bit, composited them together and then applied a new color grain. The film was rescanned with the Lasergraphics Director 10K scanner. “We have just under 15 petabytes of storage here,” said Bailey. “That’s working storage, because we’re working on 8K movies since [some places in the world] are now broadcasting 8K.”

https://postperspective.com/the-wizard-of-oz-gets-a-4k-uhd-hdr-remaster/

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 27, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I just don’t think the average person, especially the older gen who has money to buy something like a 2 thousand dollar tv are gunna see the difference in quality. I still got a mom who watches 480p stuff on her nice 1080 Plasma tv because “ain’t that the movie right there? Why do I need anything else”. I’m currently offloading all my blu-rays onto her that I upgrade to 4K discs in the hope she’ll start noticing the transition but as of now she either doesn’t care since a dvd is just good enough. I gotta imagine 1080p is still and probably always will be “good enough” for a lot of people. Especially with Microsoft pushing this standardized 1080p next gen console cheapy box. That thing is going to make a killing when it’s readily available at $24 a month lease and paying $12 for their Netflix of games service and whatever movie/tv streaming option you want.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
if it makes you feel any better if we do get a 8k disc format (maybe it's on something that isn't a disc at that point, who knows) i think that'll be the last of it.

i don't see 16k media being a thing (even though there are 16k cameras in the imax open spec now) cuz 8k is really pushing it in terms of discernable differences...but still, i'd buy the poo poo out of an 8k wizard of oz personally.

you're improving the details you can make out, the colorspace and representation of color being true to life, and the brightness/darkness range, all things that make a 4k disc better than a downsampled blu ray from the same source..those factors will improve again in that fashion with 8k and to me they are all pretty noticeable things. but i'm also in a niche with the rest of y'all so

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Why would DVDs look worse on a 4k tv compared to 1080?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
think of resolution as detail

you're taking an image on a DVD that has 720x480 of information, then blowing it up to either 1920x1080 (1080) or 3840×2160 (4K)

the larger you try and get that number, the worse it will look cuz information is gone..which brings in various tricks to make it look better with software/hardware to varying degrees of success.

if you want to go down a fun rabbit hole check out AI upscaling, where ai creates the missing information again to varying degrees of sucess (usually based on whats around the pixels of information not there)..super trippy

another fun way to think about it

VHS (the most popular first format of owning a film for most people) was 333x480

So you make a sick beautiful film that say has 6k worth of info, so 6144 x 2592 and then people watch that thing at 333x480 on a single lovely mono speaker more then likely, but nostalgia is a hell of a drug and when it comes down to it you remember the film itself more than the presentation anyway

that's why homies mom is all like "eh"..totally valid

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 27, 2020

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

wa27 posted:

They actually do look better than 1080p, but the larger screen and watching 4k content makes the fuzziness of the upscale more noticeable when switching back and forth.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
i totally nerd out when i get to see something i've seen a ton over the years in a crappy format finally either projected on film or being available in a high res scan copy. especially if they don't decide to gently caress around and recolor/grade the thing. it honestly feels as close to seeing something for the first time as you can get for me.

everyone should get to see something in 70mm at least once in their life.

it's always cool to be able to be like "oh poo poo, there's a piece of set design or prop/art i'd never noticed before cuz it was a god drat blob or smear of color instead on my dvd"..for a long time it felt like there was a big gap between the theatrical presentation and what you got at home and usually for the worse on that..it's nice to be in a period where we get to see things as they were made to be seen :allears:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zer0spunk posted:

Plus try finding a non 4k TV..from what I can gather there you're looking at buying something from 2018 or older at this point.

You can find them, they just under 32"

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It's like zooming in too far on a low-res photograph in Photoshop. It starts to look really lovely.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I can't believe how much the projectionist hosed up my 70mm projection of 2001. I'd literally been waiting a decade to watch the movie so I could see it in 70mm for the first time :mad:

I mean it was still a terrific film, but boy did it not look ideal up there. They apologized to us after the screening since it was the first time they'd ever projected in 70.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

wa27 posted:

4k isn't really making them look worse. People just tend to get a bigger TV to replace their last one, which is gonna be less forgiving of older formats

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

feedmyleg posted:

I can't believe how much the projectionist hosed up my 70mm projection of 2001. I'd literally been waiting a decade to watch the movie so I could see it in 70mm for the first time :mad:

I mean it was still a terrific film, but boy did it not look ideal up there. They apologized to us after the screening since it was the first time they'd ever projected in 70.

people at my screening laughed during hal's song, which was..weird as hell and really ruined that moment. nothing about that scene is funny??? i think i learned the easter egg behind the song from this thread on a related tangent though

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’m personally all about VCD

A friend went to China to see family and brought me these back in my high school days. First time ever seeing Battle Royale was on VCD.

dorium fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 27, 2020

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

VCDs fuckin ruled. Looked fine on a CRT, and one of the lesser-known features of the original PlayStation was its ability to play them.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
i'd really like to not think about how much bit disc rot has hosed me over the years :(

wonder how much better tape held up over time in comparison

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 27, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Got me curious now if these discs still play. Gunna try right now.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dorium posted:

Got me curious now if these discs still play. Gunna try right now.

it varies wildly, way more frequently with blanks then commercial pressed stuff, but in both. really down to manufacturing and environment and luck. time ruins everything

its pretty noticeable though, like as visual holes or the entire layer separating. you'll know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
The two instances of laser/disc rot I discovered in my collection weren't even movies, they were music. My CDs of Anthrax's "Spreading the Disease" and an original Deathlike Silence Production pressing of Sigh's "Scorn Defeat" both have laser rot.