Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

Personally, I'm halfway convinced at this point that if Silent Hill 2 was released for the first time today, as-is with the same plot, people would hate it.

It’s not the plot that’s the standout, it’s how it’s presented. SH 2 is a masterclass of implied storytelling through symbolism and environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
And a lot of that is technical limitations.

SH2 seems to be partially an accidental success

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

man nurse posted:

It’s not the plot that’s the standout, it’s how it’s presented. SH 2 is a masterclass of implied storytelling through symbolism and environment.
Is that really what the people who remember the game fondly care about, though? Or is it just because it did something new and unusual (for the time) first while pulling it off decently well?

I'm just questioning this because I've noticed myself also tending a bit towards thinking of old games with rosy nostalgia glasses and then finding I don't actually like them all that much anymore when I replay them. Surprisingly few of them end up being evergreens that I still enjoy today when I put it to the test.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You really need a Nemesis or Pyramid Head avatar, because good god it would be an improvement.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

In that vein I replayed Siren 1 last month on PS4 to 100% and I still find that game to be wonderful. Toyama's got such a great sense of bleakness in his worlds with stories told from multiple perspectives and formats. I'm probably gonna replay Blood Curse and try to imagine what a Toyama PS5 Silent Hill would be like.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Cardiovorax posted:

Personally, I'm halfway convinced at this point that if Silent Hill 2 was released for the first time today, as-is with the same plot, people would hate it.

Cardiovorax posted:

Is that really what the people who remember the game fondly care about, though? Or is it just because it did something new and unusual (for the time) first while pulling it off decently well?

I'm just questioning this because I've noticed myself also tending a bit towards thinking of old games with rosy nostalgia glasses and then finding I don't actually like them all that much anymore when I replay them. Surprisingly few of them end up being evergreens that I still enjoy today when I put it to the test.

It's probably this. It's why people aren't often impressed by movies like Aliens or Citizen Kane. They were completely novel when released, and subsequent movies copied them for years. It's hard to be impressed by Aliens if you've already seen the action movies it inspired. Same with SH2. The plot wouldn't be received well today because we've seen it so many times at the point.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That is exactly the feeling I'm also getting.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Cardiovorax posted:

I should dig out my copy of SH3 pc out of the garage. I remember having a lot of fun with that. For me that one probably does hold up. The original? I have no idea what it would be like on a replay.

I never really was impressed by Silent Hill 2 even when it was released.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Cardiovorax posted:

One of my friends is a Buddhist chaplain and I've begged him for years to play SH2 because I wanted his insight. Once I discovered the SH2 Enhanced Edition project, we finally got around to play it. Sadly, it didn't really grip him like it did me, and it took me explaining what had happened in it. The game is still good, but man it's "locked door hallway" simulator.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

I should dig out my copy of SH3 pc out of the garage. I remember having a lot of fun with that. For me that one probably does hold up. The original? I have no idea what it would be like on a replay.

I never really was impressed by Silent Hill 2 even when it was released.

If nothing else you can sell your SH3 PC for an absurd amount of money

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I played SH2 for the first time in october of last year, and it was really really good. IMO the most impressive part of SH2 isn't the plot, but the general atmosphere and the sound design. I was still scared even though I was playing on Beginner lol. The hotel kinda sucked rear end cause it's where the puzzle elements of SH2 stop playing by the rules as well, like with the extremely small camera angle switch in the room you see the kid in, and with one of the keys actually being outside the hotel. Other than that though it was just a great experience.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Medullah posted:

There were rumors of it being announced with the PS5 launch stream, and when the RE 8 trailer started you hear foghorns in the distance and I was like "HERE WE GOOOOOOO"

there was a moment in the last ps5 showcase, where things went dark and i heard foghorns and i started freaking out but then it turned out to be fortnite. and then at then end, seeing the snow i almost did it again. :negative:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Crossover sequel, large-scale battle royale but in the SH universe

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Don't give them ideas.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Heresy, but you could probably remake the remake of 1 to third-person and miss nothing in the transition. You'd probably have to make Chris less lame next to Jill.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Let Chris punch the hunters

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kibayasu posted:

The bow gun fires 3 bolts in a spread pattern for every shot. So the 18 in the inventory screen is actually only 6. Since it’s a spread pattern the only way to get all 3 bolts into something is at close range but that will kill a zombie in 1 hit.

Up until REmake2 the “canon” run was Claire A/Leon B because of reasons such as Ada. Besides item placement there’s some significant differences in how everything plays out at the end compared to Leon A/Claire B.

Vikar Jerome posted:

yes and you should also do this because its a different game/story mostly in the back half. its also long been considered that claire A - leon B is the "canon" or closet to canon events.

I guess I just did Leon first, because he was on Disc 1.

Regardless, I guess I'm not going to be done with RE2 as soon as I thought.

site posted:

okay but what about their thoughts on circumcision

Had I not spent the other day watching Justin Whang videos, I'd have no idea what this was referring to.

Policenaut posted:

Welcome to my TED Talk, I'm Policenaut and today I'd like to begin my presentation of why Silent Hill 2 was so good that it ultimately killed the franchise.

I call it Final Fantasy 7 Syndrome.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
If they did remake 1 again, I kinda feel like they should just remake the plot so it all ties together between the characters. Expand on the outdoors/dormitory area and have Chris gently caress around there, before he encounters Wesker who encourages him to explore the mansion that Wesker (directly or through Barry) has just encouraged Jill to leave. Basically, Wesker is explicitly juggling the various S.T.A.R.S. members to get combat data, moving them around as needed to ensure they don't team up while being faced with the various creations of Umbrella. (Rebecca is a wild card that screws things up eventually.) When Chris arrives in the mansion, all the areas that Jill has unlocked are already unlocked, and vice versa for Jill in the dormitories.

Not because having a "True Canon RE1" is important, but because it'd force them to switch things up because they couldn't just do the standard scenario 1:1.

site posted:

Let Chris punch the hunters
Chris being able to brute force his way into areas that Jill couldn't enter, and conversely, Jill being able to finesse her way into areas that Chris couldn't, would be a way to mix up areas you revisit with different characters. Maybe Chris brute forcing his way through an area actually breaks something so Jill has to find another way in, or Jill is able to squeeze herself through a gap/climb up something that Chris can't because he's like 50 pounds heavier.

The current RE1 Chris sorta just feels like a worse Jill, so differentiating the two more so Chris has a clear advantage in some areas would ensure some goodwill towards the character in terms of mechanics alone that should rub off on the overall feel of Chris. Maybe play up him not being big on puzzles, realizing his own limitations, and instead being smart enough to realize that all the puzzles basically assume you'll respect them and not just jam a giant pipe into the gears to break them. Not saying he should never properly solve one, just that he shouldn't always do so. Thinking about it, I think that'd be effective characterization for both Chris, but also the villain side of things which basically assumes everyone will behave exactly to their design until eventually someone comes around and triggers the self destruct.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Wesker spending weeks putting together a ridiculous survival horror emblems/gems/gears puzzle just for Chris to break it and pass the door in 10 seconds is perfectly in character and perfect for RE1 explaining why Wesker hates Chris. :roflolmao:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Something about all those suggestions rubs me wrong for reasons I can't articulate, so I'm going to assume my age is showing and that I'm slipping into an "they changed it so it sucks" mindset there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
all that sounds fun on paper but it would just break down into nobody wanting to play as jill because who the gently caress wants to spend all that time doing item hunting and puzzle solving when you can just play as chris and do none of it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think remake one is really worth it.

I have similar feelings to basically all the games past 3.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

klapman posted:

I played SH2 for the first time in october of last year, and it was really really good. IMO the most impressive part of SH2 isn't the plot, but the general atmosphere and the sound design. I was still scared even though I was playing on Beginner lol. The hotel kinda sucked rear end cause it's where the puzzle elements of SH2 stop playing by the rules as well, like with the extremely small camera angle switch in the room you see the kid in, and with one of the keys actually being outside the hotel. Other than that though it was just a great experience.

i do think that SH2 holds up, i replayed it about a year ago and still enjoyed it. the game just has very good sound design and atmosphere. the first three SH seem to be crafted with an idea in mind, whereas the later entries feel more like a hot topic version of silent hill, or a bad movie version, that is "trying to be silent hill" primarily and i think that's why the series took a sharp nosedive.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cardiovorax posted:

I think people just liked it cause it was creepy as poo poo.

At least that's why I liked it anyway.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
Both Resident Evil and Silent Hill got weirdly obsessed with taking dumb poo poo from their terrible rear end movies and forcing them into later games

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Max Wilco posted:

I found a cord in the police station, which I figured would connect to the shutter controls for the windows, but the guide never said anything about using them. I also found a flamethrower in the Umbrella lab, but I never picked it up.

If you look, there's two shutters with broken cords - one in the Licker Hallway, and one near the basement stairs. Late in the A scenario, zombies will pour through those windows if you do not close one with the cord, unclearing the space so you have to fight your way through again.

However, in the B scenario, the cord will burn out early and re-open the shutters. So the hallway you previously closed will be full of zombies. Unless I'm remembering wrongly, not using the cord means both fill up on A and neither on B, so you made one scenario harder and one easier.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How the gently caress is combat data actually worth anything? Are there hidden cameras everywhere? Who uses this poo poo outside of Umbrella or it's many proxies?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How the gently caress is combat data actually worth anything? Are there hidden cameras everywhere? Who uses this poo poo outside of Umbrella or it's many proxies?

Combat Data translates one-to-one into improved stats for your monsters, you need to keep it going to outpace the various Plucky Protagonists who show up. This is extra important because a lot of them have specced into Superpowers of their own and it's embarrassing to have your top of the line bioweapon defeated by a bald 20something doing a suplex on them.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

It's one of the things they had to backfill later on as the series progressed. Umbrella seemed to be only vaguely interested in adapting its various projects to combat applications, but a few of the later games established that there was a mature black market for bioweapons and that the competition therein was literally cutthroat.

It's easy to forget since most of them get merked without ever seeing on-screen action, but most of the STARS are military veterans with combat experience. Watching them get mulched by some of the accidental bullshit on the first floor of the mansion would go a long way towards punching up the resale value on the bigger, more deliberate bioweapons.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
A big selling point of the early BOWs Umbrella makes is their breakthroughs in having them follow directions. Early Umbrella notes lament that fly-guys are a dead end, embiggening animals is limited and zombies are unreliable on top of being scorched earth. I can see Mr X and Nemesis being really important data sets because they can accept simple commands(complex for the weapon platform using Nemesis), avoid murdering indiscriminately(.. you know, for this series) and recognize and pursue specific targets based on visual features(at least, I think Nemesis is stated to recognize photos as well) for long periods of time in complex urban environments. Unfortunately Umbrella collapses shortly after RE3. RE5 and so on plays BOWs more as a viable marketplace and a fact of life in the setting. RE7 expands on it in a more grounded way as RE6 is rather out there in almost all aspects, to say the least.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Resident Evil's camera angles finally explained.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Max Wilco posted:

Resident Evil's camera angles finally explained.

:aaaaa:
Also proof that the fixed cameras are Bad.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

Both Resident Evil and Silent Hill got weirdly obsessed with taking dumb poo poo from their terrible rear end movies and forcing them into later games

As a Silent Hill 2 die hard it irritated me to no end that they put Pyramid Head in the movie. I get it, he's one of the coolest characters but he really doesn't make sense as an antagonist to anyone but James.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think remake one is really worth it.

I have similar feelings to basically all the games past 3.

I'd like a Code Veronica remake because a) I played it on a friend's PS2 back in the day and only got about 2/3 through and it bothers me it's the only mainline RE I havent finished, but not enough to actually play it and b) everyone says it sucks so maybe make it good this time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Disco Pope posted:

I'd like a Code Veronica remake because a) I played it on a friend's PS2 back in the day and only got about 2/3 through and it bothers me it's the only mainline RE I havent finished, but not enough to actually play it and b) everyone says it sucks so maybe make it good this time.

I've been catching up on RE games this year (only played 1 and 2 back in the day) and when I got to CV I straight up said gently caress this and downloaded a memory card save to use with my PS2 emulator that had the infinite weapons. It was challenging to say the least.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

id be careful with b) because the last time they remade the one "that sucks" we got the 3 remake

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What even is the selling-point of Code Veronica? It was the beginning of a doldrum where the REmake flopped, RE0 was a mixed-bag, and Veronica itself was seen as terribly dated before the ground-breaking RE4. Does it have a spooky mansion. an infested police-station, a big lad with a limited vocabulary?

If they were to remake it they'd had to overhaul it completely. Make the setting more appealing, keep the somewhat grounded tone of the prior two titles, cut down on backtracking, and especially remove any chance to soft-lock your game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The remake didn’t flop?

The remake was really well regarded.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It underperformed on its gamecube release, which was the writing on the wall for the fixed-camera formula. ReMake fared much better over a decade later with the HD remaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury
As a 15 year old, the John Woo rip off opening scene was really, really cool. I was entranced by in game cut scenes.

And I thought the Psycho plot twist was compelling too. Even if Steve was annoying.