Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Problem description: I noticed computer performance was extremely slow, and nothing had high usage percentage. Finally checked temperatures and it was CPU throttling. So I re-did the thermal paste and started keeping and eye on it. During a CPU stress test or when gaming, Core #0 (or Core #3 according to Corsair's iCUE) is significantly higher than the others, by 15-25 degrees. This holds across two different CPUs and two different coolers, with multiple attempts at re-thermal pasting and then giving up and buying a new cooler. During the stress test on the new cooler, Core #0 is at around 70C and cores #1,2,3 are around 53,53, 45 respectively. I assumed this was improperly applied paste, but I have tried many attempts and many pastes. Is it possible that the motherboard is the problem? Could it have been damaged from high heat?

Attempted fixes: Swapped from a 4690k to a 4790k and vice versa. Temps are lower on the 4690k but still have a wide range. I flipped the heatsink on the Hyper212 to see if it was bent, and the same core was hot. I tried new thermal paste about 4 times. I finally got a Corsair H100 Pro and it's still the same temp split with their factory applied paste (assumed very evenly and correctly applied). Temps are lower, no longer in the 80-90 range on one core that I saw with the hyper212 on a hot day while gaming, but still weirding me out.

Recent changes: Noticed i was getting extreme throttling during the heat wave, and I hadn't been monitoring the temp before that. Otherwise, new case and new cooler, but still the same issue.
--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

System specs:
Mobo- ASRock Z97 Extreme6
CPU- Intel 4690k or 4790k running on stock settings, voltages on auto
CPU Cooler- Initially a Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo, I got fedup with it's bulk and my old case and upgraded it to a Corsair H100 Pro
Case- Initially an Antec 500 (15 years old), Upgraded to a Fractal Meshify with the new CPU cooler.
Ram- 16GB Gskill
GPU -GTX970

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Deceptor101 posted:

Is it possible that the motherboard is the problem? Could it have been damaged from high heat?

Yes, both of those are possible.

I'd make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Okay, I'll look into updating the BIOS, it's not something I've done in a while. If the motherboard is damaged, there's no real harm in running it as is for now, right? 70-75C on one core isn't great, but the end result is the CPU or mobo dies and I replace them both, which is realistically what I'm facing anyways, as it's not like I can get a replacement mobo for such an old CPU now anyways?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Deceptor101 posted:

If the motherboard is damaged, there's no real harm in running it as is for now, right? 70-75C on one core isn't great, but the end result is the CPU or mobo dies and I replace them both, which is realistically what I'm facing anyways, as it's not like I can get a replacement mobo for such an old CPU now anyways?

Yeah, the CPU/motherboard running hotter will shorten the lifespan of the hardware but that temperature isn't going to kill it immediately or anything like that.

You can get another comparable motherboard if you really want to. You might have to pay a premium however.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Yeah, the latest bios didn't change anything. I'll assume it's something with the mobo and just keep an eye one it. I'll also keep an eye on CPU/motherboard sales and just plan on that needing an upgrade at some point. If the temps get bad I can always swap the I5 4690k back in, as it runs lower temperatures due to lower speeds, but if I hit that point, it's time for a replacement anyways. Thanks for the advice.