Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Yall getting really worked up about these nothing movies.

In other news mandalorian s2 trailer poped up today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Can't wait for Baby Chewie to be introduced.

Maybe we'll also get Baby Boba Fett!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Bogus Adventure posted:

They've had the merch assembly line running for years

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

For a quick recap: Rey is hyped up on pure rage because two of Unkar’s guys tried to steal BB-8 away from his rightful owner (Rey’s incredibly invested in this loss of ownership because she sees it as analogous to her parental situation).

So, coincidentally at that moment, BB-8 spots FN and yells something like “hey that guy stole my master’s jacket!” - so Rey chases him down and strikes him in the face with an upwards swing of her steel pipe. FN is literally knocked into the air with a surprise blow that realistically would have shattered his jaw - and, while he’s rolling on the ground in pain and confusion, BB repeatedly tazes him with an electric prod.

The fact that it’s so unmemorable points to several of the problems with the film: the brutal violence against an innocent man is played for light comedy, the scene in question is poorly constructed because of the reshoots, and FN instantly forgives being struck in the face with a pipe and starts quirkily flirting with Rey....

Contrast this with Luke being knocked out by Sandpeople.

So it’s politically bad, but also just stupid and shoddy. The building FN gets beat in is a hastily-repurposed set from abother scene, so props and lighting change drastically from moment to moment.

Oooh, now I vaguely remember.

Yeah, that doesn't scan too well these days where black people are getting the police called on them for hanging out in their front porch.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Robot Style posted:

They've had the merch assembly line running for years

Baby Baby Boba Fett

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrZ-xeAlJ_c&t=57s

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Bogus Adventure posted:

They did that in that god awful Rebels cartoon.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Incelshok Na posted:

They did that in that god awful Rebels cartoon.

You seem confused.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Roth posted:

You seem confused.

Shbobdb is a Bad Take printing press :ssh:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Just checkin in real quick, everyone knows these movies are bad right?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CainFortea posted:

:hai:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Wrong

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Well clearly this calls for a scientific inquiry.

https://www.strawpoll.me/21002063

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainFortea posted:

HOLY poo poo

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

CainFortea posted:

We might have a problem.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

reignofevil posted:

We might have a problem.

Look, science solved the problem last time. It can solve this problem too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

gently caress wait I though this was the other Equeldome.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

gently caress wait I though this was the other Equeldome.

Just spreading out a bit.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Roger roger

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CainFortea posted:

10 people who voted are not only wrong, but also clearly suffering from a mental episode. It's a cry for help

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best part of the sequels is the part where they leave sentient beings behind as slaves because I knew it meant I could enjoy every single resistance members death from then on.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

McCloud posted:

10 people who voted are not only wrong, but also clearly suffering from a mental episode. It's a cry for help

this is ableist garbage that isn't even trying to be a joke, c'mon now

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

LMAO, I love the new thread title

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

CainFortea posted:

Copy that, Rogue Leader.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's fun to talk about how and why they're bad, though.

Much like with the prequels, though I do wonder how much boils down to the sequels not wanting to be anything like the prequels so badly they ran headlong into loving everything ELSE up.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's fun to talk about how and why they're bad, though.

Much like with the prequels, though I do wonder how much boils down to the sequels not wanting to be anything like the prequels so badly they ran headlong into loving everything ELSE up.

Different strokes for different folks, I know i'm not interested in discussing why so much as making sure we're all on the same page.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I thought TFA was fine. However they clearly had no idea where they wanted to go after that and with TLJ being so decisive and them walking it back far too hard with RoS had effect that brought the whole trilogy down.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CainFortea posted:

Different strokes for different folks, I know i'm not interested in discussing why so much as making sure we're all on the same page.

Fair enough, though I feel it makes good media seem all the better when you compare and contrast against other things and analyse how, where, and probably why they hosed up.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

David D. Davidson posted:

I thought TFA was fine. However they clearly had no idea where they wanted to go after that and with TLJ being so decisive and them walking it back far too hard with RoS had effect that brought the whole trilogy down.

Imo both of the first two could be parts of at least decent trilogies. Not great but fun watches. The dissonance between them and then the poo poo-covered cherry that is RoS is what makes the whole trilogy terrible

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CainFortea posted:

Eh, people can think that a movie is bad for very different reasons. Remember how chuds were up in arms about the little white cuckball? Seeking solidarity with people just because you dislike the same movies runs the danger of chumming up with idiotic assholes, so a little more thought than "It's bad, agreed?" would be great.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

Eh, people can think that a movie is bad for very different reasons. Remember how chuds were up in arms about the little white cuckball? Seeking solidarity with people just because you dislike the same movies runs the danger of chumming up with idiotic assholes, so a little more thought than "It's bad, agreed?" would be great.

Except my dislike was formed in the theater, so it is unsullied by chuds freaking out about girls.

Edit: At least the prequels have stans who have decades worth of memes to build their headcannon with. The Sequels are just borringly bad.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

is Star Wars Galaxies a sequel? Cuz there's some really interesting stuff going on there and the dev post mortem is really fascinating. What winds up being kind of interesting is that the inability to balance "Star Wars as a universe full of people" and "Star Wars as the Skywalker's story" ultimately turned into a poisoned pill that broke a lot of legitimately cool designs and ideas.

https://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/15/star-wars-galaxies-tefs/

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tulip posted:

is Star Wars Galaxies a sequel? Cuz there's some really interesting stuff going on there and the dev post mortem is really fascinating. What winds up being kind of interesting is that the inability to balance "Star Wars as a universe full of people" and "Star Wars as the Skywalker's story" ultimately turned into a poisoned pill that broke a lot of legitimately cool designs and ideas.

https://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/15/star-wars-galaxies-tefs/

I dunno if it's a sequel, I don't recall what time frame it was in. But what I do know is it's not a movie.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I was cautiously optimistic with TFA when I saw the trailers because it looked exciting and full of action. There were some things that worried me, like the "it's not a Death Star, it's a Star Killer" superweapon, the mysterious return of Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber, and the title. Like, why would the Force need to Awaken?

When I saw it in the theater, I nearly walked out because I hated it. I thought Kylo Ren throwing tantrums was corny as hell, the movie side-stepping why they had dug up Anakin's lightsaber pissed me off because it made it feel like they just wanted to return an iconic prop, and Han jumping to hyperspace to skip through a shield on the fly showed they gave zero fucks about the rules of the world. I didn't like how it seemed Rey could not be hurt or knocked down, and that Finn had to feel the consequences of her actions (she releases the monster and Finn nearly gets eaten, when they face Kylo Ren it is Finn who gets cut down to show how tough Kylo is despite taking a boltcaster blast to the side). I hated how Poe returns out of loving nowhere after seemingly dying on Jakku. Maz refusing to explain HOW she got Anakin's lightsaber (or how it got retrieved in the first place) was infuriating. I also hated how there was zero explanation in the movie as to what happened to the New Republic and the OT heroes---you had to buy the comics and books to get them. It reminded me of the dumb tactic that Bioware used for Dragon Age/Mass Effect to tell the story through different media---I mean, milk more money out of the customer.

I had zero problems with Rey being the new hero. I love Ahsoka in the Clone Wars/Rebels. I just wanted to see a hero's journey where the protagonist struggles and grows throughout the story. It helps to build that ensemble of heroes that Star Wars is known for. People love to say that Luke is a Gary Stu or overpowered, but he gets his rear end kicked all over the place throughout the OT (starting with Uncle Owen giving him chores, and ending with Sneaky Sheev giving him the spicy jazz hands). It gives the other characters chances to shine by saving him (Leia blasting the garbage chute screen, Han winging Darth Vader, Obi-Wan cutting down the bar thugs, R2 cutting them out of the Ewok trap, Anakin giving Sheev the ol' heave ho down the endless pit, etc.). Even in the PT, Anakin gets his rear end kicked all over the place despite being the Chosen One (he gets caught by the Geonosians, Dooku takes his arm, Palpatine messes with his mind, and Obi-Wan cuts him down). If Rey is in trouble, Rey gets out of it on her own. It leaves the rest of the ensemble with nothing to do.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Bogus Adventure posted:

the movie side-stepping why they had dug up Anakin's lightsaber pissed me off because it made it feel like they just wanted to return an iconic prop, and Han jumping to hyperspace to skip through a shield on the fly showed they gave zero fucks about the rules of the world.

The lightsaber being unexplained is a result of changes in editing, but the explanation is even stupider. The original opening of the film had Luke's hand, still clutching the lightsaber, floating through space and entering a planet's atmosphere (how it got into space is never explained). The hand burned up on entry and some alien found the lightsaber after it landed, nearly burning down a large field when he turned it on. I think there would also have been a montage showing the saber being sold to a junk trader who then had it taken from him by Kylo and the Knights, who then had it stolen from them by Maz.

The hyperspace jump is actually stolen from Lucas' rough draft of Return of the Jedi, where it was originally the way Han got the crew to Endor without the Empire noticing. So it's not Abrams and Kasdan having a dumb idea and putting it in the movie, but just another example of them just taking all the pig lips and assholes that weren't fit to include in the OT, and putting them in their hot dog of a movie.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Robot Style posted:

The lightsaber being unexplained is a result of changes in editing, but the explanation is even stupider. The original opening of the film had Luke's hand, still clutching the lightsaber, floating through space and entering a planet's atmosphere (how it got into space is never explained). The hand burned up on entry and some alien found the lightsaber after it landed, nearly burning down a large field when he turned it on. I think there would also have been a montage showing the saber being sold to a junk trader who then had it taken from him by Kylo and the Knights, who then had it stolen from them by Maz.

The hyperspace jump is actually stolen from Lucas' rough draft of Return of the Jedi, where it was originally the way Han got the crew to Endor without the Empire noticing. So it's not Abrams and Kasdan having a dumb idea and putting it in the movie, but just another example of them just taking all the pig lips and assholes that weren't fit to include in the OT, and putting them in their hot dog of a movie.

So how does that explain the saber showing the attack on Luke?

Also, lmao that they took something even Lucas and his editors thought was dumb as hell.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
In my opinion, the one and only good thing about the sequels remains Kylo Ren. He is a dumb idiot, but that's at least something. Him throwing tantrums was something different from everyone else going through the motions in TFA. He seemed unpredictable in a way that was interesting, as opposed to the other off the rack characters. His trajectory to super space Hitler in RoS was kinda lame, then the face turn in Return of Palpatine was the stupidest poo poo. But at least the character went through some poo poo. I have no idea how to describe Finn's development. A Stormtrooper who became a became a not-Stormtrooper, fell into a 12-hour coma and then was a rebel. The end. Or Poe Poe: Rebel master pilot. The end.

Really riveting stuff.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The best part of the sequels was everyone, friend or foe, making GBS threads on the ginger general guy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Kylo the school shooter was an infinitely better idea than having him be some “badass” revan/vader knockoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Well the results are in folk. Pretty clearly the sequels are bad movies. This is just science you can't argue with science.