Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Tato posted:

I don't really trust much of anything Hogan or Bischoff say or the reasons for things going the way they did. The rest of that PPV was also god awful with guys like Nash refusing to show up and job. Just a terrible PPV for what was supposed to be WCW guys finally getting some victories.

That said....Sting really did look like poo poo that night.

It's because Hogan and Nash are not...generous people. At all. Hogan and Bret, most natural feud in the world. Hogan squashed it. Because he's an rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Didn't Bret end up "joining nWo" and cutting lovely promos, sometime around WCWs decline? I think this was after he got kicked in the head by goldberg?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Fargin Icehole posted:

Didn't Bret end up "joining nWo" and cutting lovely promos, sometime around WCWs decline? I think this was after he got kicked in the head by goldberg?

You can replace "Bret" with almost anyone, but yes – I think he was in nWo 2000 with Jarrett?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

You can replace "Bret" with almost anyone, but yes – I think he was in nWo 2000 with Jarrett?

It was a bit more complicated. Bret would team with Hogan and stuff, but would deny being a member, and I think there was a fake face turn?

Bret in WCW was largely a disaster, the only saving grace being a great match with a person most wrestling fans don't even want to acknowledge.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 25, 2020

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It was a bit more complicated. Bret would team with Hogan and stuff, but would deny being a member, and I think there was a fake face turn?

Yes, but then later when Russo rebooted the nWo with Jarret, I think Hart officially joined.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bret in WCW was largely a disaster, the only saving grace being a great match with a person most wrestling fans don't even want to acknowledge.

Bret countering the spear with a Steel plate after cutting a great promo in Toronto was amazing but sure as hell as everything else that had the potential to be good in WCW at that point in time WCW of course ruined it

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Super Dan posted:

Yes, but then later when Russo rebooted the nWo with Jarret, I think Hart officially joined.

yeah he was in there for like 3 weeks, he recreated the nWo on December 20th 1999, a day after Goldberg concussed him and retired on January 10th 2000 leading to everyone's favorite PPV debacle

one of everyone's favorite PPV debacles at least

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Who are you to refuse to acknowledge El Dandy?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Bret was a member of NWO Hollywood for a short period. Commentary would point out that Bret was playing his own game because he wasn't wearing NWO colours but was recruiting for them. Then there was a bit on Nitro where Bret called out the rumours that he wasn't a member of NWO Hollywood and revealed that he had Hogan's back and put on a black and white shirt.

Bret was also on the Hollywood team for Halloween Havoc but I think there might have been some kind of feud between him and Hogan at this point because Hogan had Stevie Ray KO every other person in that match.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Amusingly Hogan did the exact same "I wasn't eliminated" ending during the battle royal where Randy Savage won his first world title. As I recall he may or may not have changed that one mid-match from Savage winning cleanly to what it turned into

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

DeathChicken posted:

Amusingly Hogan did the exact same "I wasn't eliminated" ending during the battle royal where Randy Savage won his first world title. As I recall he may or may not have changed that one mid-match from Savage winning cleanly to what it turned into

Yeah from what I heard he called an audible.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Super Dan posted:

If they wanted to do Montreal, I don't know why they didn't just go all-in on it. Have Hogan put the Scorpion Deathlock on Sting, then have the ref and/or Bischoff declare that Sting tapped out, only to have Bret re-start the match.

I would honestly pay a small amount of money just to see Hogan not only attempt a Scorpion Deathlock but fully lock it and and squat down with it with whatever decayed mess his knees have to be in 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DeathChicken posted:

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah from what I heard he called an audible.

This is exactly what happened. Hogan was originally supposed to be distracted and dumped out from behind clean. Halfway through the match he demanded a gently caress finish which is him getting dragged under the ropes with none of the ten referees or six commentators acknowledging it. It's made worse by the fact that Savage doesn't get to celebrate at all while Hogan spends ten minutes bitching about whether or not he was screwed and how it was still HIS belt.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

You sort of get the feeling that maybe Bischoff shouldn't have folded like a beach chair to ALL of Hogan's demands. Like add some provisions to what 'creative control' entails. Or maybe try to enforce the ones already in place.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Bret countering the spear with a Steel plate after cutting a great promo in Toronto was amazing but sure as hell as everything else that had the potential to be good in WCW at that point in time WCW of course ruined it

Considering that Owen died a few weeks after, I don't think we can lay the blame completely at WCW's door here.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I just want to ask everyone here... DID I GO UNDER THE BOTTOM ROPE OR NOT??

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I just want to ask everyone here... DID I GO UNDER THE BOTTOM ROPE OR NOT??

*pantomimes going under the bottom rope at least a dozen times*

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Super Dan posted:

If they wanted to do Montreal, I don't know why they didn't just go all-in on it. Have Hogan put the Scorpion Deathlock on Sting, then have the ref and/or Bischoff declare that Sting tapped out, only to have Bret re-start the match.

i would guess because hogan wanted there to be a visual of the 3 count so you know he won in some fashion

just putting on a hold doesnt prove anything unless there's a tap

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Just my own personal take but you can read any Hogan action with the idea that he probably thought he'd be on top in any company as world champ until they buried him with the belt. The top guy can't just be losing matches, brother.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I still vividly remember the Nitro in Rosemont, IL where Hogan walked out to a loud chorus of boos as a face. Gene excused the crowd's response as being in "shock" because he walked out wearing all black. This was one week after Sullivan shaved his moustache in the middle of the ring.

The boos were so loud that they had to pipe in the crowd noise they used on WCW Saturday Night. It was hilarious.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

Just my own personal take but you can read any Hogan action with the idea that he probably thought he'd be on top in any company as world champ until they buried him with the belt. The top guy can't just be losing matches, brother.

Was literally Bischoff's opinion, he wasn't worried when the WWF pulled ahead because whoever had Hogan would win in the long run.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I guess I can put these here, for people that want to watch some old wrestling.

NWA Battle of the Belts 2 is exactly what it sounds like. A bunch of title matches. This was technically a Championship Wrestling from Florida show which is why some of the title matches are for Florida titles.
The real main event is obviously the main event. The NWA World Heavyweight champion Ric Flair taking on Barry Windham in a match that really showcases just how great Windham was at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbG_g7XH8tE

Couple of months later we get the Crockett Cup 1986 (or to give it its full title: First Annual Jim Crockett Sr. Memorial Cup Tag Team Tournament)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30CExpM6T2E

It's a big single elimination tournament, held over two days and just look at some of the names involved.

In addition to the this tournament, there's also a world title match between Flair and Dusty just to round things off.

This last one is the really fun one.
The 1987 edition of the Crockett Cup. But it is not the official clipped home video version. This is the raw satellite feed from NBC who were there recording it for ~reasons~. This means there's no commentary and the camera work is also different.
The interviews are the best part though, since these were obviously meant to be edited later you have them doing re-takes and talking about all sorts of stuff you wouldn't normally hear in a normal interview/promo situation.

Night 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxonPfqqIN0

Night 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHv48DZBnGo

I clipped this to share it with the discord, so I'll just put it here as an example of what you're getting
https://twitter.com/mrbling/status/1310118695964901379

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress yeah this is awesome

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MrBling posted:

I guess I can put these here, for people that want to watch some old wrestling.

Corckett Cup '88 was a real clusterfuck. Due to "injuries", "betrayals", and "no-shows", the brackets were completely thrown out of whack. So much so that The Sheepherders, who won their first round match and their second round match, were made to wrestle a second second round match, which they lost and were then eliminated.

I remember a column in a PWI that was a "interview" with The Sheepherders, where they said that, and being stripped of the UWF Tag Title instead of having a unification match with the NWA Tag Titles is why they left the NWA to go to the WWF.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is kinda related to WCW but it's mostly an ECW question.

In one of those old WWF Roundtable episodes, Foley said ECW fans didn't like Vince but they hated Bischoff. I've heard Heyman never used the initials WCW on ECW TV, a lot of big time stars in ECW cut promos saying all sorts of things about all the big time names in WCW....

Why did ECW hate WCW so much?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

This is kinda related to WCW but it's mostly an ECW question.

In one of those old WWF Roundtable episodes, Foley said ECW fans didn't like Vince but they hated Bischoff. I've heard Heyman never used the initials WCW on ECW TV, a lot of big time stars in ECW cut promos saying all sorts of things about all the big time names in WCW....

Why did ECW hate WCW so much?

I imagine it's a combination of WCW 'stealing' ECW wrestlers like many of the luchadores, Benoit, etc, WCW's top guys under Bischoff being the Hogans of the world vs. WWF's Bret Harts, and just a matter of where ECW was located making their fans a lot more friendly to WWF in general than WCW.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think there was this big thing that Tod Gordon was working in secret for WCW to try and raid talent? ECW signed a whole bunch of guys from ECW and while WWE did too they had that deal where they'd give Paul money and send their struggling guys over. Plus like Douglas would always trash Flair and Foley did a whole thing where he was begging "Uncle Eric" for a job. Then Austin came over talking poo poo. Then Pillman came over talking poo poo. ECW just super hated WCW for a bunch of reasons.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Basically ECW fans respected Vince, and thought Eric couldn't do poo poo but was lucky to have deep pocketbooks

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

STAC Goat posted:

I think there was this big thing that Tod Gordon was working in secret for WCW to try and raid talent? ECW signed a whole bunch of guys from ECW and while WWE did too they had that deal where they'd give Paul money and send their struggling guys over. Plus like Douglas would always trash Flair and Foley did a whole thing where he was begging "Uncle Eric" for a job. Then Austin came over talking poo poo. Then Pillman came over talking poo poo. ECW just super hated WCW for a bunch of reasons.

Foley begging for his job back made him one of ECW's top heels for his stay. and drat was Superstar Steve Austin's promo about his time in WCW hot fire. I personally don't recall any of his WWE promos with as much clarity as that.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

2 Cold Scorpio cut a few promos, too, and I remember when Woman went back to WCW someone - and it might have been Scorpio - did a bit dissing her by saying they had sent her back to Atlanta.

The whole 'wooing' after chops thing began in ECW. Watching that evolve from being a Philly crowd dig at Douglas to a wrestling-wide tribute was something.

NikkolasKing posted:

I've heard Heyman never used the initials WCW on ECW TV, a lot of big time stars in ECW cut promos saying all sorts of things about all the big time names in WCW....

I'm pretty sure he did. I seem to be recalling a graphic referencing WCW when musclehead Jim Steele got squashed by 911. Steele was slightly better than a jobber in WCW for a few months.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
I think that, besides Paul wanting to maintain a relationship with Vince, there was also the fact that the fanbase knew WCW could be better and didn't exactly have high expectations for the WWF.

Also: While the ECW fans' feelings about WCW were surely part of it, those Cactus Jack promos reflected his actual mindset at the time. He figured that he was never getting a WWF job and was scared shitless that he had burned his bridge in WCW with the belt-spitting incident. So he thought that his best bet was probably begging Kevin Sullivan to vouch for him personally as new booker and give him a spot in the Dungeon of Doom, even if that was the most anti-Cactus Jack thing possible.

I say it on Between The Sheets whenever the topic comes up, but NOBODY has ever laid their soul and insecurities as bare on wrestling promos as Mick did in his ECW heel run. From the very first promo airing on the episode of TV where he turned, he was letting out his frustrations/fears with regards to the damage he'd done to himself physically and his issues with the ECW fans, with the stuff about being worried that he had sabotaged his own career coming soon after.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Adam Page is challenging for the throne but he lacks the gift of being able to do that and cut a 'wrestling' promo at the same time.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

nws very hunky photos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8SOOqdRCUI

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

well this is the most gloriously 70s thing I've seen in quite a while

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DJExile posted:

well this is the most gloriously 70s thing I've seen in quite a while

Needs a mustache

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
He looks like a cartoon baby who has the ability to magically turn into a fully-grown man whenever he likes.

Antron Qyzippa
Oct 3, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
It's still 1997-2000 to us

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tuesday Nitro will return for the last two Sundays of October to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Halloween Havoc 95.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antron Qyzippa
Oct 3, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

MassRafTer posted:

Tuesday Nitro will return for the last two Sundays of October to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Halloween Havoc 95.

sweeeet