Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

I'm not sure if I've played a single Japanese made game.

Edit:

Just Super Mario Galaxy I think on the Wii, which I never finished.

you probably should, theyre the ones just making normal single player games alongside western indies right now while our AAAs lose their minds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

when wwe came sniffing around a bunch of japanese companies trying to buy their way into the market the companies in question took their bids and then sold to larger japanese promotions instead so there could be some cultural... protectionism(?) in play too. like if microsoft really tried to buy sega i bet sega would see if sony or nintendo are wiling to match their offer first

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Japanese devs go too far up their own asses and end up making MGS2. Western AAA devs go too far up their own asses and make Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands 2: Breakpoint.

The choice is simple.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I think if the Sega/MS thing was actually serious enough for them to be easter egging the poo poo out of Twitter, the deal is already done.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Stux posted:

yes the article is a fluff piece to justify things post hoc. these companies do not need to pivot to live service, they never have, they are doing it because if its successful it is even more profitable than selling a game once. this is the entire reasoning. even this article is lying outright lol its saying again about the 30% steam cut being some millstone around the neck of AAA publishers. if thats true then how did they possibly survive during the pre-digital era, where their margins were far lower. physical sales were less profitable due to the store and platform holder cuts as well as physical production. alongside that, used games were the method people used to buy games cheaper rather than sales, and used games give approximately 0% back to the company. digital sales actually allow them to capture the budget market now that their sales arent undercut in the same stores theyre promoted in by a used market. the idea they need a subscription or they need microtransactions or they need a live service game is absolute nonsense, and if they have taken financial damage from trying to do this and failing rather than just making a game it is entirely self inflicted. gigantic companies are not victims.

even this stupid bit "they tried everything" they list games that were explicitly financial successes, the issue is they werent big enough. this is the same stupidity that lead activision to say destiny 2 wasnt profitable enough despite doing ridiculously well. its the same idiocy that had square enix yelling about games missing targets even when they sold fantastically and easily made profit. this isnt games failing, its games failing to make extraordinary levels of profit leading them to seek even more customer hostile monetization to inflate margins. they then list things that bethesda utterly failed at through their own fault and caused financial and reputational damage because they were incompetent and lazy. their store being an absolute dumpster fire to use and so comically badly made every game they released on it somehow came out with copy protection stripped outt before being added back in is their own fault. fallout 76 being a complete technical horrorshow with no content because they laser focused on making a game they sell a subscription for and to pile microtransactions on is their own fault because they focused on greed rather than making a competent product. these giant studios are consistently shooting themselves in the foot while still making profitable pieces of media and then going "woe is me" and its stunning people are falling for it.

You do know that games have gotten dramatically more expensive to make, right? That's how they survived pre-digital: games were fundamentally cheaper to make. And many devs didn't survive, and many still don't. You think indie game #520938634 wouldn't jump at the chance of being on a streaming platform? And the 30% digital cut always seemed too steep to me, with the the profit margins likely being among the most ridiculous in the media industry.

Developers may not "need" subscriptions/microtransactions/live service model, but they do need steady and reliable revenue streams to mitigate the risk of financial collapse, which those services offer in a way no other service can. This is capitalism and risk mitigation 101.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lammasu posted:

Is there any reason Microsoft hasn't bought any Japanese developers yet? Is their some legal barriers that stop foreign businesses from buying native Japanese companies?
I mean, they just bought Tango Gameworks...

BonoMan posted:

I think if the Sega/MS thing was actually serious enough for them to be easter egging the poo poo out of Twitter, the deal is already done.
They wouldn't be saying a goddamn thing before confirming because Microsoft and Sega Sammy Holdings are both public companies and nobody wants to get hosed for insider trading over internet fame.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Arkage posted:

Developers may not "need" subscriptions/microtransactions/live service model, but they do need steady and reliable revenue streams to mitigate the risk of financial collapse, which those services offer in a way no other service can. This is capitalism and risk mitigation 101.
What's being omitted in this relative to gamepass, is that you can still buy the game, unlike with ps+, unless they fixed that, and usually with some discount on the game and DLC. Developers are reporting how much gamepass is helping them all the time now.

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2020/09/descenders_approaches_3_million_players_with_xbox_game_pass

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Stux posted:

. if thats true then how did they possibly survive during the pre-digital era, where their margins were far lower.

I mean, they didn’t. Most of the game developers from the past are no more. There’s an incredible churn in this industry of studios and publishers going out of business or getting bought up and shuttered. That’s not because their owners are happy with all their riches and retiring.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Stux posted:

the developers that have the wolves at the door are not giant publishers who own multiple studios, theyre small indie devs, who somehow despite being in an infinitely more precarious position manage to consistently provide better support for their games post release than the studios posting millions of sales do. theyre also the same studios who had to push for ages to get into digital stores and will be once again shut out if subscriptions take over, outside of the very exceptional break out indie games.

Yeah, it’s worth remembering that pretty much all of the major AAA studios/publishers are raking in cash hand over fist.

That they then turn around and spend that revenue on investor/executive-facing poo poo like bonuses while laying off 30% of a game’s staff the second it ships, forcing people to crunch 100-hour weeks, abetting or endorsing a culture of hazing/sexual harassment/toxic management, maintaining a draconian grip on media outlets and journalists and making things like game reviews utterly worthless for decades, turning a blind eye to rampant racism/misogyny/queerphobia/fascism on their platforms for fear of alienating a core demographic of customers at the expense of all others, shipping games that are half-done and laden with predatory “micro transaction enhancements” and/or advertisements, etc.
shouldn’t fool you into thinking that money’s ever tight for them.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Arkage posted:

You do know that games have gotten dramatically more expensive to make, right? That's how they survived pre-digital: games were fundamentally cheaper to make. And many devs didn't survive, and many still don't. You think indie game #520938634 wouldn't jump at the chance of being on a streaming platform? And the 30% digital cut always seemed too steep to me, with the the profit margins likely being among the most ridiculous in the media industry.

the 30% cut is too much for indies, but its nothing for the big publishers. its markedly lower than what was being taken on physical sales:

this is ea. sony/nintendo/ms/valve taking a 30% cut and you still double your margins? seems like a pretty fantastic deal.

games have gotten more expensive to make, but their margins are sky high. every other media industry would kill to make the margins a $60, now soon to be $70, digital sale makes, plus whatever after market on going purchases you can stuff in there. its not some strange luck or chance that has made gta 5 the most profitable piece of media ever created, others dont even come close, it is literally double the highest grossing films. it has doubled what avatar brought in on the same production and marketing budget.

small devs are the ones that struggle, but they are also the ones left out. it took forever for steam to open up to self publishing, and a move to subscriptions would likely turn the market again into a space only the most exceptional indie games can break into. the 30% should be slashed for smaller devs, the opposite scaling to what valve currently does really. but also, these smaller games are not the ones turning to manipulative monetisation en masse. successful indie games are much more likely to give healthy long term support through free updates or sensible dlc. the ones pushing the most overt and predatory after market monetizations are always the companies who explicitly do not need to to stay afloat. and they are also consistently the publishers and large studios who have existed for decades now and have exploded in size and valuation. if you believe that the giant devs who are under the least financial pressure in the entire industry are secretly at risk i have a bridge to sell you.

doingitwrong posted:

I mean, they didn’t. Most of the game developers from the past are no more. There’s an incredible churn in this industry of studios and publishers going out of business or getting bought up and shuttered. That’s not because their owners are happy with all their riches and retiring.

we are talking specifically about gigantic developers/publishers who did. easily. in fact not only did they survive, they exploded and became vastly rich. they do not need more of your money at all. the article was about bethesda specifically, who certainly had no issue in navigating that period, they came out of it as a giant publisher who had enough liquidity to buy up other developers. that isnt them struggling with the smaller profit margins pre-digital. any issues theyve had now hasnt been because their margins got better, its because of comically bad management that is so well known its been a punchline for nearly a decade.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

to be played while reading the above

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfRIoxIlAQY

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
So my old Xbox 360 wired controller that I use for my PC is starting to go, any recommendations for a new xbox one controller I can use with my PC?

I'd prefer if it has like a wired USB connection because wireless and latency but I can do wireless.

I just want something that's going to last more than a few months

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

SirKibbles posted:

So my old Xbox 360 wired controller that I use for my PC is starting to go, any recommendations for a new xbox one controller I can use with my PC?

I'd prefer if it has like a wired USB connection because wireless and latency but I can do wireless.

I just want something that's going to last more than a few months

Any Xbox One controller can be used wired. So just get whatever you can find.

A new Xbox controller is coming out with the Series X and S consoles this November, but it doesn't have many upgrades.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

id wait and see if the new version has improved build quality any

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Zerot posted:

Any Xbox One controller can be used wired. So just get whatever you can find.

A new Xbox controller is coming out with the Series X and S consoles this November, but it doesn't have many upgrades.

Some people might consider usb-c a decent upgrade. One less flimsy micro cable to have to keep around

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Excellent replies about backward compatibility, several pages back posted:

:words:
Great info, thanks!

So basically: anything that could be played on Xbox One (minus Kinect games) will work on Series X

That includes 40ish original Xbox games like like 500 Xbox 360 games.

And worth noting is that the 360 will still play a lot of OG Xbox games that never worked on the One.

That about right?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I was hoping that I'd be able to play the old The Return of the King game on this but alas. (Microsoft buy WB pls)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

American McGay posted:

Just follow the link. I've been streaming Tony Hawk to my phone while I watch NBA playoffs on the TV. It's a pretty decent little solution.

I've been doing this too and its rad as hell but my router sucks and it's like training with weights on, I mostly just practice speed runs because the latency sucks.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If stux made more serious posts instead of drive by poo poo posting people might actually read them more.

Also I find it extremely difficult to take anyone with an anime avatar seriously so :tenbux: yourself into adulthood mate.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Minidust posted:

Great info, thanks!

So basically: anything that could be played on Xbox One (minus Kinect games) will work on Series X

That includes 40ish original Xbox games like like 500 Xbox 360 games.

And worth noting is that the 360 will still play a lot of OG Xbox games that never worked on the One.

That about right?

Yes. Only thing I might add is that the back compatability the Bone X/Series X provides to original Xbox titles is significantly better than the 360, as not only do they all work smoothly without issue (PANZER DRAGOON ORTA) but it will run them in 1080p

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It'll run them at 4K!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Laserface posted:

Also I find it extremely difficult to take anyone with an anime avatar seriously so :tenbux: yourself into adulthood mate.

lmao

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
you post in the xbox thread

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Laserface posted:

If stux made more serious posts instead of drive by poo poo posting people might actually read them more.

lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Phil loves anime

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
There is more than stux with anime avatars, there is me, and others in the thread, which one you refer op.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Me too apparently.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

whoever it was, as funnny as it is pls dont buy other ppl avs until lowtax is gone.

also if you need t o rebuy your av theres a thread in qcs where you can get an av change for a rainn donation which i recommend over the normal button

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Laserface posted:

Me too apparently.

Lmao

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Stux posted:

whoever it was, as funnny as it is pls dont buy other ppl avs until lowtax is gone.

also if you need t o rebuy your av theres a thread in qcs where you can get an av change for a rainn donation which i recommend over the normal button

Oh yeah but seriously this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stux posted:

This, please.

Save your Xbox Anime X spending spree until then

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It was pretty funny tbh

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Stux posted:

I googled it and couldn’t find anything, what happened with low tax

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
He came out in favor of the PS5

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Crafty posted:

Check the stickies in gbs my friend.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Crafty posted:

Mangosteen

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gamepass now comes with 2 free months of funimation's anime streaming service

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Crafty posted:

he beats women. jeffery of yospos is buying the forums.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Gamepass now comes with 2 free months of funimation's anime streaming service

The thread avatars were a portent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Real hurthling! posted:

Gamepass now comes with free subscription to Something Awful forums.

:hmmyes: