Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Welcome, weary traveler, to the island of GANRYU-JIMA!

Famously home to a samurai duel betwixt swordmasters Miyamoto Musashi and Sasaki Kojiro, many have claimed that GANRYU-JIMA is the original Fight Island. However, this GANRYU-JIMA ain't your great-great-great-great-great grandpappy's secluded island betwixt Honsu and Kyushu of 1612. This GANRYU-JIMA is a land of smoke moats and dead pensioners. It is a place of battle discs and Kikuno's crescent kicks. This GANRYU-JIMA is home to Moat Fighting, the most honorable form of combat in the world.

What is Moat Fighting?

Moat Fighting is a delicate blend of martial arts, created by Japan's top scientists. It carefully mixes the pushing of sumo, with the punching of MMA, and almost entirely eliminating the boring grappling of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. A typical Moat Fight is 3, three-minute rounds. A fight can be won by:

- KO or TKO
- Decision
- Moat Out
- Submission, but only if you are a legend of Japanese pro wrestling

Moat Out? What the heck is that?

A Moat Out is a method of victory in Moat Fighting. A successful Moat Out only occurs on the 3rd Legal Moating in a round, similar to a 3rd knockdown in a kickboxing bout.

To be deemed a Legal Moating, it must meet the following criteria:

- The fighter attempting a Moating must push their opponent out in one, swift motion. There is a "warning track" surrounding the edge of the Battle Disc. The attempted Moating cannot stall out on the warning track, but must proceed directly off the Disc and into the Moat

- The fighter attempting a Moating must maintain their footing on the Battle Disc. Being dragged or slipping into the Moat revokes Legal Moating status of the attempt.

Who Competes in Moat Fighting?

Moat Fights take all kinds of folks! Early Moat Fight events featured people with diverse combat sports backgrounds, like boxers, judoka, capoeira artists, as well as more esoteric athletes, such Senegalese wrestlers, Calcio Storico footballers, and even Jimmy Ambriz. More recent contests included volleyball players, Minowamans, and Katsunori Kikuno, who finally proved that karate works in an extremely limited ruleset where the threat of submissions don't exist, and also you are fighting someone who believes "redirecting chi" is an effective form of combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Witaj!

Welcome to Wotore, Poland’s darker and edgier answer to Moat Fighting. Wotore is an 8-man one-night tournament setup, with the following rules:

• Bareknuckle
  • Headbutts allowed
  • 20 second ground fighting maximum
  • The round lasts until a finish
  • Moat Outs not a valid form of finish

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

I have previously shown some Ganryu-Jima and Wotore bouts on my Moat Fights psp-tv room. Currently I'm going through Full Metal Dojo (the organization behind Fight Circus), but rest assured, the Moat Fighting will return in the future!

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
how does joe rogan not know about this?!

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I thought this was a joke. How is Joe Rogan not funding this?!

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The word YAMMA is flashing into my brain

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I love the aesthetic of Ganryu-Jima. It makes everything feel important, even when you're watching a guy you only refer to as "Weed Sumo".

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress yeah moat fights

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

have never ever heard of this but would loving LOVE to see/read more about it

LobsterMobster posted:

I have previously shown some Ganryu-Jima and Wotore bouts on my Moat Fights psp-tv room. Currently I'm going through Full Metal Dojo (the organization behind Fight Circus), but rest assured, the Moat Fighting will return in the future!

gently caress yes to this

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Remember that Moat Fights is specifically a family-oriented MMA promotion. It's combat sports that they're proud to show to their children.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They even have a Childs Hat as a trophy in Ganryujima

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Ok, tomorrow around 8PM ET on Friday night, I'll drop a link for some watch-along Moat Fights.

Rest assured, if you can't make that time, the link will basically loop until I change the playlist, so you can always hop on later to watch.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I had never heard of Wotore and what is even the point of having a moat if moating is not a valid form of victory

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CarlCX posted:

I had never heard of Wotore and what is even the point of having a moat if moating is not a valid form of victory

The conan the barbarian theme would be less impressive if the winner won by forcung his opponent out of the ring

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what is in the moat?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cavauro posted:

what is in the moat?

Shame and dishonor

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Cavauro posted:

what is in the moat?

moat monsters

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My God, FIGHT ISLAND really was real all along :shobon:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

a small amuse-bouche

https://twitter.com/LegKickTKO/status/906372210507620352

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Hello!

The Moat is now open for fight business

http://psp-tv.com/r/MoatFights

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

preyingmantis kung fu SETO

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I thought this was gonna be about the Inoki/Saito island deathmatch but I'm also cool with this

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

hunnert car pileup posted:

I thought this was gonna be about the Inoki/Saito island deathmatch but I'm also cool with this

You have to eventually build up to that.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

All I know about ganryu jima is a bosozoku fights I think it was a Muay Thai guy at one of them which Imo is very cool even if he probably gets his rear end kicked real bad

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

LobsterMobster posted:

Hello!

The Moat is now open for fight business

Bumping this because Moat Fights!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Hi! I will host another watch along of Moat Fights on Friday, at 8PM ET.

These will be different moat fights, but I won't call them new.

Don't fret if you can't make the premier. The playlist runs on a loop, so jump in whenever (And feel free to let the thread know if you are, in case others want to join in and chat along)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm in the moat

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I'm down for Japanese Mixed Martial Watersports.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Moat Fights!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Despite tonight's leg-based curse, this was way better than I expected from some random MMA promotion. I think I just might be around for subsequent shows.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Alan Baudot competed at Ganryu-Jima 3, several years ago. He is also going to make his UFC debut this weekend.

So, to honor Mr Baudot, I will be hosting Ganryu-Jima 3 as part of Friday's watch-along

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

MOAT FIGHTS TIME!

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

This the weirdest PSone import fighter let's play I've seen this year

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Hello friends of the Moat!

I am, :ortiz:, planning on hosting another Moat Fights watch on Friday night, around 8PM Eastern. Hope you can join in!

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

LobsterMobster posted:

I am, :ortiz:, planning on hosting another Moat Fights watch on Friday night, around 8PM Eastern. Hope you can join in!

That is a very good way to start the weekend and I'm excited for more moat murder.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

LobsterMobster posted:

I'm gonna try and get it working for me this week!

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Moat attendance should be forum-mandatory.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Moat Fights are live!

Hopefully the Dailymotion links work this time :-/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Moat fights is good.