Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 21:27 on Mar 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Zeroisanumber posted:

The WWI sequence was goddamn insane.

the part where the islamic and chinese governments were shooting artillery at Mt Everest and K2 respectively to make their mountain the tallest one was hilarious though

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Atrocious Joe posted:

the one good part of 2020 is the absence of Marvel movies and the rehabilitation of Zack Snyder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u77M-oANRtQ

Is it really going to be released in Academy ratio?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

the thick of it was pretty brutally honest about what was driving the blairites iirc

Armando Iannucci had a pretty clear vision of how the blairites work, but he still sided with them during the whole Jeremy Corbyn saga.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
while The Think of It is far more incisive and grounded than anything ever seen on West Wing, its existence doesn't seem to have made UK politics less of a nightmare. I wouldn't be shocked if more british people had seen and internalized the ideas from West Wing than Thick of it--don't underestimate the reach of america's monoculture, especially in the anglosphere

beyond that Iannuci is a bit like a Piketty or Mark Blythe or a guy like Douglas Rushkoff or even the reporting on John Oliver's show in that they are all capable of remarkably insightful critiques of broken systems, but for whatever reasons (their individual ideological commitments, the environment in which they must publish their work, whatever) they are incapable of questioning whether the failures are an inherent feature of the system. much less advocating coherently for a different and better system.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I like some Snyder movies, but I 100% hope the Snyder cut disappoints his cult.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i want to believe
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/1309181562630500353?s=20

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so this is minor compared to basically everything about The Boys’s “super terrorist poo poo” but it’s been bugging me anyway: Kimiko and her brother are Japanese. i read that in the comics they’re a children of a Japanese pharmaceutical corporation’s employee who hosed up and brought them to work where they got compound V’d.

what I’m wondering is how does the show explain their nationality? is boys Japan like a place that has collapsed into civil strife or something? it just seems baffling and weird that they didn’t change them to being Indonesian or Filipino or some nationality that, being their age, would have potentially experienced conflict in the 80s/90s

I know it’s small but it bugs me that they just don’t justify Japan apparently having impoverished pacific islands in the midst of civil war somehow

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
garth ennis does not care or know enough about East Asian colonial history to do that

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I assumed they were kidnapped from Japan and sent to some camp in Laos or something. not that i paid much attention.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

They mention being from a village that I don't think is Japanese but having grandparents in Japan, and I think theres a reference to them being expats so I assume that their parents moved out of Japan before they were born

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

General Dog posted:

Is it really going to be released in Academy ratio?

Snyder announced 1.66:1

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Weembles posted:

Armando Iannucci had a pretty clear vision of how the blairites work, but he still sided with them during the whole Jeremy Corbyn saga.

isn't this the inevitable thing with each and every one of these people who make a tv show or a movie that is an incisive critique of the system and then you look at their tweets or articles and turns out they're the libbiest of libs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Echo Chamber posted:

At this point the people calling Snyder fans a cult seem to be way more fanatical

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frog Act posted:

so this is minor compared to basically everything about The Boys’s “super terrorist poo poo” but it’s been bugging me anyway: Kimiko and her brother are Japanese. i read that in the comics they’re a children of a Japanese pharmaceutical corporation’s employee who hosed up and brought them to work where they got compound V’d.

what I’m wondering is how does the show explain their nationality? is boys Japan like a place that has collapsed into civil strife or something? it just seems baffling and weird that they didn’t change them to being Indonesian or Filipino or some nationality that, being their age, would have potentially experienced conflict in the 80s/90s

I know it’s small but it bugs me that they just don’t justify Japan apparently having impoverished pacific islands in the midst of civil war somehow

Shining Light Liberation Army is not a Japanese terrorist group. Kimiko and her brother were kidnapped and then forced to undergo Compound V testing.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Doctor Jeep posted:

isn't this the inevitable thing with each and every one of these people who make a tv show or a movie that is an incisive critique of the system and then you look at their tweets or articles and turns out they're the libbiest of libs

aka the David Simon effect

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

theyll love it. hes going to add in a scene where batman commits the mandalay bay hotel shooting

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

I dont understand the hatred for Snyder but I know the nerd community gets these weird narratives going and then refuses to budge on them.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At this point the people calling Snyder fans a cult seem to be way more fanatical

Snyder sucks but to his credit at least he tries to say something in his movies unlike feige and marvel who don’t even pretend to give a poo poo lol

Another good example is the Star Wars prequels vs the Disney films — and least Lucas tried to give commentary on liberalism/fascism, fear, love, etc. while failing miserably

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
:suicide:
https://twitter.com/lacityofstars/status/1309202783720136705?s=21

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Doctor Jeep posted:

What it comes down to is what circles these people run in. Iannucci, or Blyth, or Piketty or Varoufakis or even Chris Morris all have these critiques but they're surrounded by people with the same shared class interest so that's as far as they go. Ultimately they all think the system can be saved or reformed. Plus as they grow more successful, they grow more indebted to the system that lifted them up.

It's rare you get someone like, say, Adam Curtis, who is far more radicalized but still seems to operate in pretty lib circles.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Malkina_ posted:

Snyder sucks but to his credit at least he tries to say something in his movies unlike feige and marvel who don’t even pretend to give a poo poo lol

Another good example is the Star Wars prequels vs the Disney films — and least Lucas tried to give commentary on liberalism/fascism, fear, love, etc. while failing miserably

i would 1000% rather watch a fun but forgettable marvel film over one of snyders dreary 3 hour slogs. dude sure knows how to drain every bit of joy out of his movies

Dreylad posted:

What it comes down to is what circles these people run in. Iannucci, or Blyth, or Piketty or Varoufakis or even Chris Morris all have these critiques but they're surrounded by people with the same shared class interest so that's as far as they go. Ultimately they all think the system can be saved or reformed. Plus as they grow more successful, they grow more indebted to the system that lifted them up.

It's rare you get someone like, say, Adam Curtis, who is far more radicalized but still seems to operate in pretty lib circles.

most people arent communists. even the ones that have the right sensibilities will mostly balk at the idea and do something else. thats the problem with having an ideology that has been trhoughly shat on by history

babypolis has issued a correction as of 20:09 on Sep 26, 2020

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

zack snyder has never made a good movie

also the big passion project he wants to make is the fountainhead lol

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

zack snyder's fountainhead would slap, not sorry

and, well, either you think he's a good filmmaker who will produce something worthwhile from the source material or he's a bad filmmaker who will tank the objectivist masterpiece. it's win-win from where i'm standing.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

josh04 posted:

zack snyder's fountainhead would slap, not sorry

and, well, either you think he's a good filmmaker who will produce something worthwhile from the source material or he's a bad filmmaker who will tank the objectivist masterpiece. it's win-win from where i'm standing.

it would be a 3 hour long movie with a heavy yellow filter over everything where a nearly emotionless man with perfect facial structure rapes a young, beautiful woman over and over. at the the end she kinda makes a weird face at him before being raped for the 124th time and we are supposed to take this as a major victory for feminism

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
wait wait wait there are actually people over the age of 14 who like zack snyder? this isn't like an ongoing bit??

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
people who don't like snyder have this weird thing where everyone has to have the same taste and its console war poo poo backed by disney

grow up a little ffs

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

babypolis posted:

it would be a 3 hour long movie with a heavy yellow filter over everything where a nearly emotionless man with perfect facial structure rapes a young, beautiful woman over and over. at the the end she kinda makes a weird face at him before being raped for the 124th time and we are supposed to take this as a major victory for feminism

if nothing else, snyder has a talent for bringing out the extremely weird posts

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
i just dont like watching movies by a weird misogynist with literally zero filmmaking ability, sorry to say!!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

josh04 posted:

if nothing else, snyder has a talent for bringing out the extremely weird posts

my dude you are the freak who wants loving zack snyder to do a fountainhead movie. are you aware what that book is about? hint: its about a woman who learns to love his rapist

Hodgepodge posted:

people who don't like snyder have this weird thing where everyone has to have the same taste and its console war poo poo backed by disney

grow up a little ffs

the zack snyder fan telling people to grow up is some deep irony

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
seeing superman with his arms out like hes on a cross while smallville explodes in the bg made me understand the bible

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

cant wait for the guy who made the birth of a nation prequel to adapt another freakin epic bit of far-right pulp

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I hear if you don't like Zack Snyder it means you're a Marvel fanboy.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

babypolis posted:

my dude you are the freak who wants loving zack snyder to do a fountainhead movie. are you aware what that book is about? hint: its about a woman who learns to love his rapist

yeah but ayn rand wrote that in 1943, you wrote your weird fantasy about how much sexual assault might be in a film that doesn't exist yet today

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Giga Gaia posted:

seeing superman with his arms out like hes on a cross while smallville explodes in the bg made me understand the bible

we die for jesus's sins

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Bro Dad posted:

zack snyder has never made a good movie

Lol cmon dude. 300 and watchmen are real fun movies, not every film has to be a work of art.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
didn't realize the c-spam pop culture thread had been moved to BSS

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

thatfatkid posted:

Lol cmon dude. 300 and watchmen are real fun movies, not every film has to be a work of art.

lmao

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Interesting reversal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

people get all hot and bothered about snyder but think marvel is just dumb fun