Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

"Desperate for the approval of Clay Travis" is legitimately one of the saddest phrases ever conceived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah it’s like are you that desperate for a less famous Skip Bayless?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The guy who's more famous for "bet the opposite of this guy" than anything he's said or did

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Wait why is he made of clay?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah it’s like are you that desperate for a less famous Skip Bayless?

That’s extremely unfair to skip

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Jason Whitlock somehow sucks MORE than Clay Travis if anything. How this is possible, I do not know.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Jason Whitlock somehow sucks MORE than Clay Travis if anything. How this is possible, I do not know.

Greater mass generates greater gravitational pull

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
On an absolute scale, everyone in sports is more beautiful or handsome than Whitlock.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I got COTD on Defector today, making me journalistically interesting!!

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

It was a good comment.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Scott Hines, formerly known as ActionCookbook of EDSBS (and maybe some other SBNation sites), has a thrice-weekly newsletter and oh my god this description of Whitlock is just perfect

quote:

Let’s talk about jobs.

This week, in the midst of an petty, sexist attack on another woman in media, ostensible sportswriter and professional troll Jason Whitlock took an unprovoked shot at ESPN on-air personality Katie Nolan, mocking her past as a ‘bartender’ prior to becoming the Emmy-winning sports media figure she is today.

Now, any ink spilled on the topic of Whitlock—the sentient embodiment of an inappropriate request for a woman to smile, a man who’s climbed up and then failed his way back down the sports media ladder to his current position of scraping the last bad-faith, sexist, racist and tired tropes off the floor of the bad-take factory—is ink wasted, and if you’re not familiar with the man’s oeuvre, then consider yourself lucky. You’re not missing anything. Katie Nolan is successful and Jason Whitlock is not, and he can cry himself to sleep in his fedora thinking about the reasons why, but they don’t matter.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Remember when Whitlock said Serena Williams was fat?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Article about Defector in The New Republic: https://newrepublic.com/article/159461/defector-future-media

Mostly interesting for this bit of data:

quote:

Editor in Chief Tom Ley told me that the site was expected to hit 30,000 paying subscribers on Monday, which at the base rate would amount to over $2 million a year.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

FMguru posted:

Article about Defector in The New Republic: https://newrepublic.com/article/159461/defector-future-media

Mostly interesting for this bit of data:

Indeed, and that's just if they were at base rate, so it's likely significantly higher than that.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Whitlock ultimately has made a career out of being a dipshit and thats all he knows now. He also clearly has an issue with any woman.

https://alexflanagan.com/jason-whitlocks-sexist-schtick-is-shocking-but-all-too-familiar/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/justin_fenton/status/1308857118561366016

well that's a new one

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Speaking of new ones.

https://twitter.com/franklinleonard/status/1308887836502958082

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Dunno, Whitlock bragging to Congress about how much he owned Katie Nolan seems on point for 2020 to me.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/DefectorMedia/status/1309232388053098497

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1309220726206017536

secret base out here doing very important secret base things

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

NFL 2K5 is the best football game ever made

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

sportsgenius86 posted:

I loved how little that game cared for realism, I was putting 200+ points up on the computer

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

sportsgenius86 posted:

That's a funny way to spell "Blitz: The League II"

The RPG football game where you had to survive a prison game where if you got tackled once it was Game Over

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

eternal truth

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Best twenty bucks I ever spent, twice because I had to buy it again for reasons for the life of me I can't remember now.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Someone make a vr mode for the PS2 emulator for the ultimate football experience.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Someone make a vr mode for the PS2 emulator for the ultimate football experience.

There's a football game for the Quest that's actually pretty fun. It's extremely basic but you can draw out plays on a whiteboard yourself.

I guess in some ways it's the most realistic football game ever made

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Declan MacManus posted:

i think it’s okay to hold a thing that you are a direct subscriber and supporter of to a higher standard, especially considering that they have their own editorial standards and aren’t beholden to anyone except for (wait for it) the subscribers

so if you don’t want to subscribe to it because it doesn’t have enough women’s sports coverage, that’s valid. you can choose to subscribe later if they add more or not at all if they don’t. you are not ethically required to foot the bill for defector if you’re not happy with it, and it’s okay to express dissatisfaction with it given their high number of women on staff

I was happy to give money to Defector because I thought they would be inclusive and interested in women's sports based on what I'd seen at Deadspin. When they weren't, i asked for my money back and they gave it back. When and if it's what I want, I'll be happy to pay again. I do think missing half the world's population AT LAUNCH is a signal of attention if not intention, and it was a bummer. You only send the wrong representation to Churchill's funeral once. Right now, both Defector and I are more satisfied without each other. I find a lot of coverage of women's sports through Twitter; it'll do for the time being.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Was Taters posted:

I was happy to give money to Defector because I thought they would be inclusive and interested in women's sports based on what I'd seen at Deadspin. When they weren't, i asked for my money back and they gave it back. When and if it's what I want, I'll be happy to pay again. I do think missing half the world's population AT LAUNCH is a signal of attention if not intention, and it was a bummer. You only send the wrong representation to Churchill's funeral once. Right now, both Defector and I are more satisfied without each other. I find a lot of coverage of women's sports through Twitter; it'll do for the time being.

FWIW you missed a really good piece this week about the women’s gymnastics all around final and the infamous vault horse that was set too low at the 2000 Olympics.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Declan MacManus posted:

i think it’s okay to hold a thing that you are a direct subscriber and supporter of to a higher standard, especially considering that they have their own editorial standards and aren’t beholden to anyone except for (wait for it) the subscribers

so if you don’t want to subscribe to it because it doesn’t have enough women’s sports coverage, that’s valid. you can choose to subscribe later if they add more or not at all if they don’t. you are not ethically required to foot the bill for defector if you’re not happy with it, and it’s okay to express dissatisfaction with it given their high number of women on staff

One more point on this, and I'm not calling you out for it because your points here are good. I just want you guys to realize the way that you think.

This is the Defector masthead: https://defector.com/masthead/

There are five women on staff. Out of nineteen. That is not a "high number of women on staff." A "high number" would be more than half, i.e. disproportionate to the population. Defector has a high number of men on staff.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Mahoning posted:

FWIW you missed a really good piece this week about the women’s gymnastics all around final and the infamous vault horse that was set too low at the 2000 Olympics.

I'm sorry I missed it, but I'm glad the coverage is coming. That's awesome.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Huego posted:

One more point on this, and I'm not calling you out for it because your points here are good. I just want you guys to realize the way that you think.

This is the Defector masthead: https://defector.com/masthead/

There are five women on staff. Out of nineteen. That is not a "high number of women on staff." A "high number" would be more than half, i.e. disproportionate to the population. Defector has a high number of men on staff.

yeah, that’s fair. the bar is extremely low for sportswriters where 25% of a staff registers as good, either consciously or subconsciously and that’s a bias that i should work on

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Declan MacManus posted:

yeah, that’s fair. the bar is extremely low for sportswriters where 25% of a staff registers as good, either consciously or subconsciously and that’s a bias that i should work on

Thanks, that's really all I ask. Here's that excellent gymnastics article from the other day for anyone interested: https://defector.com/the-greatest-clusterfuck-in-womens-gymnastics-history-two-decades-later/

And while looking for it I spotted half a dozen other articles I wanted to read, so on the whole I'm still getting my eight bucks' worth from Defector even though IDGAF about football. Great sports writing can make a sport interesting and even create new fans, and I do believe Defector will do that for a lot of women's sports even though they got a slow start.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Also, FWIW during their open thread yesterday they admitted they have a ways to go on the diversity front. They only have one black writer and are actively looking to add more (I believe they said they are hiring a black senior editor in the next week or two, leading to speculation it was gonna be Bomani Jones after he was a guest on the Distraction podcast last week. That’s probably wishful thinking but it would be super cool.)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm sure Bomani would love to take a huge pay cut and stop going on TV

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

He just signed a new deal with ESPN. He couldn’t leave there if he wanted to.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah like I said I don’t think it was anything more than wishful thinking. But it would be a good fit if it actually was happening.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Bomani Jones probably knows people however, lots of black people fired from Bristol recently

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I would put forward Richard Johnson of the Moon Crew, but he is part of the SEC Network show that Spencer Hall is also joining.

also not sure how many others listen/listened but Bomani's Right Time interview last week was with Desus and Mero, and is exactly as hilarious as imagined. The idea of Bomani, Desus, and PFT Commenter on vacation together in Amsterdam is...whew boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

harperdc posted:

I would put forward Richard Johnson of the Moon Crew, but he is part of the SEC Network show that Spencer Hall is also joining.

also not sure how many others listen/listened but Bomani's Right Time interview last week was with Desus and Mero, and is exactly as hilarious as imagined. The idea of Bomani, Desus, and PFT Commenter on vacation together in Amsterdam is...whew boy.

The Right time with Foxworth from a week or so ago was also elite.

Them talking about Mike Tirico being italian >>>>