Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Soon I'll be able to order an armed personnel to execute my neighbors

...oh my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

idiotsavant posted:

lol, assuming you aren't just trolling I don't think anyone in this forum has a chance of getting through to you. The board of directors - the people who are supposed to strategically guide & advise the company - are uninsurable to the point that Musk had to pinky swear to just be directly liable. The main biglaw lawyer dude who's supposed to make sure all the legal stuff is ok quit, and then the lawyer after him, and the lawyer after him, all within a year. These are not signs of a healthy, thriving company.

that's an odd take -- this is clearly a real problem. Which is exactly why it alarmed major tesla shareholders. Hopefully this will be resolved in a way that insures accountability. If it doesn't that's not a good sign for the company. Neither is having a board that doesn't do its job. These were the kinds of posts i came here to try and prompt? But w/e, I think it's clear everyone has tired of this discussion and there's not much to add from here, so i'll let you guys get back to whatever it was besides the technology this thread was talking about before I interrupted to rustle some jimmies.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

Squalid posted:

Why is Tesla the company that is at the forefront of battery manufacturing and powertrain performance? Your guess as to that is as good as mine, but whatever they are doing is working. Presumably every dollar they spend on research is just put to much better use than that of their competitors.

Because it's too small of a market to for the major car companies bother with in a major way. The cost of batteries is just too high to support being used for the mass market. So the majors are just playing a waiting game for the costs to come down enough for the them to jump in and compete.

(also I'm sure the effects of COVID weigh on their minds far heavier than whatever EVs are doing)

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Maybe stop arguing with the guy who clearly wants to marry his Tesla, so the we can resume mocking Elon and other techlords itt.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Nah, he triggered an ancient ur-response in me when he whipped out "I'm just here to challenge myself with the hardest crew on the internet to hone out my ideas and understanding of a complicated issue".

That was one of Eripsa's arguments in his massive insane threads.

If he can convince goons he can convince anyone.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The sad thing is Tesla is still the most useful thing venture capital money has funded over the past 5 years.

This is not to praise tesla- it's a sign of how useless the average VC funded company is when tesla adds more utility than you.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Anza Borrego posted:

Apartment properties will have to do it on their own sites at their own cost, and not in the public realm.

Then take for example the building where I live. We have no parking on the property itself, only parking on the street, which is of course public land.

We could get permission to put up charging points, but not to reserve that parking for the people in our building. It would be free for all, and we already have people parking illegally, just to find somewhere to park.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Then take for example the building where I live. We have no parking on the property itself, only parking on the street, which is of course public land.

We could get permission to put up charging points, but not to reserve that parking for the people in our building. It would be free for all, and we already have people parking illegally, just to find somewhere to park.

Yep. Almost like the people who own those buildings would need to be motivated to have parking with chargers because the market is willing to pay for it. Or nearby parking lots operated by someone else because the market is willing to pay for it.

As of now, the market is not willing to pay for it. It's a niche, which makes it expensive.

Not sure what the solution is, but it's not giving more control of public resources to private landlords.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

How long until this grows in scope and evolves into another corporate paramilitary organization?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

There Bias Two posted:

How long until this grows in scope and evolves into another corporate paramilitary organization?

It's not, it seems to be mostly a scam.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

It's not, it seems to be mostly a scam.

Yep - back when this first hit, the app store reviews were full of complaints from people who paid $35 for a "sign-up fee" and then found there weren't actually any people for them to kick out of their homes or serve papers to or whatever.

It looks like the company that makes this has cranked out a ton of "uber but for X" shovelware, all with those "sign-up fees" attached. They're advertising through Craigslist spam. You can check out their sister app, with a hilarious mix of obviously bought 5-star reviews and real people complaining about a terrible app, fees, and lack of work.

But, "scam targets desperate people in an economic crisis" isn't a great headline compared to "business is booming at Uber for evictions."

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

There Bias Two posted:

blackwatr.io or hallibur.tn or something

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Academ.i

Acade.mi

Aca.demi

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Pinkrton.gov

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

HootTheOwl posted:

Hot-swapped batteries, like those propane tanks for grills.
Gas stations just become full-service and replace some pumps with a storage/charging shed.
No I don't know the average thruput of a gastation, but I assume if you divide it equally by 24 hours...

Look, if a pit crew can service a car in something like 2-3 seconds, clearly it can't be that complicated to swap out a simple battery! After all, filling up on gas takes a few minutes from arriving to leaving, so that's plenty of time for the pit crew to run from car to car swapping out batteries! On top of that, imagine the number of incredibly lovely minimum wage jobs that require an absurd amount of dedication but will never pay enough that will be created!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Flow batteries would be so cool if they worked.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Space Gopher posted:

But, "scam targets desperate people in an economic crisis" isn't a great headline compared to "business is booming at Uber for evictions."

But in this case it's actually good. gently caress the people who got scammed out of money hoping to be able to evict others. Hopefully it poisons the well for an actual company trying to do the same thing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It was pointed out in the aviation thread that liquid hydrocarbon fuel is just exceptionally loving useful as a means of energy storage. If we could figure out how to make it carbon-neutral and affordable, no one would gently caress around with heavy batteries made of rare materials.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

It was pointed out in the aviation thread that liquid hydrocarbon fuel is just exceptionally loving useful as a means of energy storage. If we could figure out how to make it carbon-neutral and affordable, no one would gently caress around with heavy batteries made of rare materials.

C02 + H2O + solar energy + magic catalyst + magic conditions -> CHOOH at scale and with acceptable efficiencies go

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PT6A posted:

Yeah, but it's cheating to have to use batteries like anthracite that take million of years to charge.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

cowofwar posted:

C02 + H2O + solar energy + magic catalyst + magic conditions -> CHOOH at scale and with acceptable efficiencies go

If you replace "magic" with "innovative" you can probably get money to do a startup

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PT6A posted:

Don’t even have to care if it’s environmentally friendly, just as long as it’s cheap.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

The Pinkertons are still around. They are part of Securitas. Their business is less based around being gun thugs now but they still do a lot of dirty work.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

https://twitter.com/KathAStapleton/status/1310195295205163010

(the quoted post is about a different topic at the conference)

unknown fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 27, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

The Pinkertons are still around. They are part of Securitas. Their business is less based around being gun thugs now but they still do a lot of dirty work.

never knew they were acquired

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

https://pinkerton.com/

It's .com but otherwise...

Edit: Also, their twitter reads like communiques from a cyberpunk dystopia.

https://twitter.com/Pinkerton/status/1196458806647099399

I would watch this show, though...

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 27, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I was being semi-facetious/tongue in cheek about it being an arm of the government, given their work as anti union leg breakers.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

cowofwar posted:

Isn't this basically what biofuel is? Using plants/algae to provide the magic catalyst + conditions of creating energy from sunlight.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Dirk the Average posted:

Isn't this basically what biofuel is? Using plants/algae to provide the magic catalyst + conditions of creating energy from sunlight.

Yeah but bioreactors having scaling challenges. Purely industrial chemical processes generally improve at scale while biological processes breakdown and need to be modular smaller units.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Coinbase certainly went with a unique take on how to address progressive demands from tech employees:

https://blog.coinbase.com/coinbase-is-a-mission-focused-company-af882df8804

tl;dr: take a political stance at work and we'll fire you.

(also shockingly hackernews' algorithm quickly dropped this down to like page 50 like it does completely without any bias or thumbs on the scale whenever things that paint a y combinator company in a bad light come out)

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

enki42 posted:

Coinbase certainly went with a unique take on how to address progressive demands from tech employees:

(also shockingly hackernews' algorithm quickly dropped this down to like page 50 like it does completely without any bias or thumbs on the scale whenever things that paint a y combinator company in a bad light come out)

https://twitter.com/paulg/status/1310583298666696705?s=21

https://twitter.com/jennschiffer/status/1310689034084265985?s=21

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

enki42 posted:

This blog post is absolutely vile.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hahahaha he set the tweet about the blog so only mutuals can reply.

gently caress twitter for adding that.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Unsurprisingly the techbros in the HN comments section heartily approve of the message.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I don't even understand what the message is, it's one of those blog posts that says a whole lot without actually saying anything.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

I don't even understand what the message is, it's one of those blog posts that says a whole lot without actually saying anything.

It couches the overall message under a sea of pablum designed to make you think they are a normal company/make you stop reading before you get halfway down.

This is the important part:

quote:

Non-profit work: We will do some work here with our Pledge 1% program and GiveCrypto.org, but this is about 1% of our efforts. We are a for-profit business. When we make profit, we can use that to hire more great people, and build even more. We shouldn’t ever shy away from making profit, because with more resources we can have a greater impact on the world.

Broader societal issues: We don’t engage here when issues are unrelated to our core mission, because we believe impact only comes with focus.

Political causes: We don’t advocate for any particular causes or candidates internally that are unrelated to our mission, because it is a distraction from our mission. Even if we all agree something is a problem, we may not all agree on the solution.

Just replace "our mission" with "making money" and you get the whole picture.

quote:

The reason is that while I think these efforts are well intentioned, they have the potential to destroy a lot of value at most companies, both by being a distraction, and by creating internal division. We’ve seen what internal strife at companies like Google and Facebook can do to productivity, and there are many smaller companies who have had their own challenges here.

Yeah well known charity cases Facebook and Google.

This is basically sounding the horn that you should work at a different company if corporate ethics interests you at all.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This is basically sounding the horn that you should work at a different company if corporate ethics interests you at all.

Corporate ethics is an oxymoron. Corporations are structured in a way that self interest is all they can do, it just so happens in tech atm hiring is one of the hardest things, so "good ethics" gives you an edge there as tech bros want to feel less guilty about their insane salaries and generally destroying society with their work. If the issue of "not enough good devs" was solved Corps would all instantly drop the act.

Although I'm still kind of confused what exactly is the stuff other companies are meant to be doing that coinbase won't anymore. Do companies actually come out in favour of political candidates in the US? Or for particular laws?

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 29, 2020

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
It's definitely couched to sound nicer than the underlying message, but this is a good example of nice-sounding super lovely speak:

quote:

But for some employees, working at an activism focused company may be core to what they want, and we want to prompt that conversation with their manager to help them get to a better place.

"Prompt that conversation with their manager to help them get to a better place" sure is one way to say "we'll fire your rear end if you talk about politics or advocate for anything in the work place."

This, combined with things like "Put the company goals ahead of our teams or individual goals" makes me strongly suspect that this isn't just limited to things that are external to this companies operations.

quote:

Although I'm still kind of confused what exactly is the stuff other companies are meant to be doing that coinbase won't anymore. Do companies actually come out in favour of political candidates in the US? Or for particular laws?

I'd say it's not super common for companies as a whole to advocate for candidates and laws as part of their normal activities (outside of generic feel-good poo poo like making colourful logos during pride week). Obviously big companies do advocate and lobby for certain laws, but that usually doesn't affect individual employees much. What does happen pretty often in tech is groups of employees advocating for something - occasionally completely external to the company, but often things that are related, like diversity initiatives, political discussion at work in a slack or something, and (this is a big one in tech lately) advocating for their company not doing business with certain companies or groups (ICE is a common one).

enki42 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 29, 2020

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
After engaging with some of these assholes, it’s clear that they just want <insert minority here> to shut the gently caress up about anything they’re dealing with, especially if they’re dealing with it at work.

Also, they seem to think that “just asking questions” is the perfect cover for their own bigotry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

After engaging with some of these assholes, it’s clear that they just want <insert minority here> to shut the gently caress up about anything they’re dealing with, especially if they’re dealing with it at work.

Also, they seem to think that “just asking questions” is the perfect cover for their own bigotry.

If the employees find issue with us providing cover to human traffickers, sexual predators, and pedophiles in our search for ever more PROFITS then they can just gently caress right off.

Also we only hire THE BEST in our color-blind management hiring practices and we cannot understand how that is racist, which clearly means that those employees are only seeking to be disruptive SJWs.