Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Little Death posted:

And this section ends with Celesto going on an incel rant about whores dancing for the drat Chads. With all that Celesto has seen including Dominic murdered Amelia, the fact that Mookie twisted it around so that Celesto's motivation, which Dominic never fights against and in fact largely agrees with, is about whores and sex is a really gross. The framing of this story never makes Celesto's motivations unsympathetic, so you're supposed to understand them but that his methods are wrong. you'll see that when Dominic confronts him. So here again we have an example of Mookie being extremely misogynistic and covering it up by having his villains be his mouthpieces.
Which is basically a 180 from how he was introduced, too, hanging out having a threesome with whashername and her husband.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lmao

"what a horrible world, where a woman that I was literally about to murder for being a whore, is forced to be a whore"

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

a whole bunch of dogshit but for some reason I’m most hung up on Dominic saying “oh God”. what is the religion here??

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Lotta dumb and gross stuff in this chapter, but I'm somehow stuck on this timeline.

He starts in Erossus, where he has sex with Amelia after she's hooked up with Szark and Celesto. Since Dominic and Celesto got their visions at the same time, and since Dominic packed up and left as soon as he got the vision, we know that Celesto had known Amelia for maybe 1-2 days. 1.5 if we assume the vision came at night and Dominic left in the morning. In order for Brett to make it to Lynn's Brook for Rachel to miss his showing, then to Barthis to line up with the start of Gregory's arc (which picked up right as Erossus was ending), he would've had to have sex with Amelia mere hours after she had the threesome and left almost immediately. Dude carved a swath of destruction into Callan in record time.

Also, because I'm now cursed with knowledge:

The Little Death posted:

Also when you start to see more colour come into his strips. Here is what I mean when I say that the action sequence was pointless. We're about to have an extended vision of the night the Infernomancer attacked the Academy. I don't know if Mookie's ever been to university, but don't make sex jokes about your elderly professor in a seminar class. It's just a weird forced interaction that again is supposed to make Miranda seem like the bestest teacher ever! And of course she had a personal connection which every one of the students who died. Love that joke at the ends, Mookie sure is a master of dramatic irony.

The same Miranda Deegan, hours after the attack while the students' bodies are still warm:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Kavak posted:

What a disgusting feeling.

Are we absolutely sure this is pre-cheating? Could it have happened more than once?

Fairly certain. That "lady friend" in the filter isn't his wife IIRC.

catlord posted:

Ick.

Has there been any indication that Dirk was made up of a bunch of different things? I always thought he was just wearing like, a big furry skin or something.

That's some not completely awful anime body horror, completely ruined by a boring, lovely angle. If I wasn't grossed out by the misogyny, I'd be yawning.

Not until this point. That was definitely a retcon when he decided what an Acibek was.

This is all for you catlord. You and all the other first time Deeganers.

Hope you're enjoying it ☺️

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 26, 2020

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TheHan posted:

The same Miranda Deegan, hours after the attack while the students' bodies are still warm:

It's hilarious that he retroactively made a huge deal out of the students protecting Mom Deegan, sacrificing their bodies and lives to keep her location secret, but when the bad guy got to her she beat him easily and nothing bad happened.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

It's hilarious that he retroactively made a huge deal out of the students protecting Mom Deegan, sacrificing their bodies and lives to keep her location secret, but when the bad guy got to her she beat him easily and nothing bad happened.

yeah the complaint against her seems more reasonable now that you realize she didn't even bother rushing back after 3 of the students at her school were murdered, lol. Not to mention all the students who got maimed.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

See, if it was for just about literally any other reason, Celesto’s scene where he balks at killing her at the last second could have made for a way more poignant moment, where the gravity of what he just did hits him all at once. Maybe it’d just be some generic monolguing about how he’s reserving that kind of display of his new powers for those who he thinks truly deserve it going forward (with Dominic topping the list, of course :v:). Or maybe it leads to him being horrified and appalled at himself for doing that even to a human shitstain, and it results in him making more... significant personality changes.

Instead, we got WHORES WHORES WHORES BURN THE WORLD IT’S NOT WORTH SAVING

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

whenever i glance past the name "Miranda Deegan" my brain unintentionally parses it as "Miranda Divine" and I get a sudden burst of anger

this isn't mookie's fault, but it doesn't help

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I think Miranda might be my least favorite character in the comic, somehow. Something about Miranda, how she's portrayed, how she's literally dominic's mom. Just comes together in a way than, say, any of mookie's string of other mary sues does. And all his villains reflect more on mookie than they do as characters in themselves.

Also "He wasn't under the protection of his mother" is an amazing line to say with complete seriousness. Like you could have easily said "under the protection of the archsage"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Little Death posted:

Not until this point. That was definitely a retcon when he decided what an Acibek was.

This is all for you catlord. You and all the other first time Deeganers.

Hope you're enjoying it ☺️

I'm genuinely considering tapping out, this poo poo is so incredibly hosed up, but there's a part of me that wants to see this slow-motion trainwreck to it's bitter end.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I dont' even have words for this sudden sex-negative turn that this character who was in casual three-ways is suddenly displaying. I could say a lot about it but what's the point? It would all summarize into "art can be a way to work out your problems, but that art probably shouldn't be on the internet."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

FlocksOfMice posted:

I dont' even have words for this sudden sex-negative turn that this character who was in casual three-ways is suddenly displaying.

"This is the point where Celesto turned into Mookie."

The plot is the Champion of Mookie and the Champion of Mookie have a fight over who gets to be the better Mookie. Mookie wins of course, and throws the Storm of Mookie into the Elemookie where

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Inside every man is two Mookies.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

wow, that is a very dramatic character change. yes, im sure the dude who was cool with plowing some lady he just met and her husband actually despises sex and the femoids who have it :what:

also i guess celesto is cool with amelia tricking dudes into getting killed by her husband so they could steal all their money, but stealing money from other strippers (who he has just decided are all filthy whores) is where he draws the line. mookie needs therapy

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

rannum posted:

Also "He wasn't under the protection of his mother" is an amazing line to say with complete seriousness. Like you could have easily said "under the protection of the archsage"

see, that there illustrates the crux of the issue. her whole character is not presented as the archmage. her whole character is presented as dominic's mum. that's the direciton she comes from, that's what she is to the core

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Also: "Gee I have no idea how a person teaching TIME MAGIC finishes their class in two minutes! It is a mystery!"

I forget is Dadinic supposed to be dumb as a brick?

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
The concepts displayed are so simple because Mookie doesn't associate intelligence with research or knowing things. He just associates it with not caring about sports.

Do you have absolutely zero curiosity or desire for mental self-improvement? You're still a genius as long as you write "I'd rather be alone in a library surrounded by old books than in a bar full of drunk sports fans" on your tinder profile, even if you don't actually spend any time reading anything.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

TheHan posted:

Inside every man is two Mookies.

the first Mookie hates displays of sexuality in all forms

the second Mookie realllly loves drawing bloody tits

catlord posted:

I'm genuinely considering tapping out, this poo poo is so incredibly hosed up, but there's a part of me that wants to see this slow-motion trainwreck to it's bitter end.

This is still during the parts where DD still had unironic fans and even later mock threads remembered as the relatively "good" part of DD.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zerilan posted:

This is still during the parts where DD still had unironic fans and even later mock threads remembered as the relatively "good" part of DD.

It gets so much worse after this.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Yeah. This is, without any irony, the peak. That doesn't mean it's good of course, just the best it's ever gonna get.

And then it continued for like, 7 years after this.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

And somehow it kept reaching new nadirs with every arc.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

To be fair though, most of the remaining arcs aren't gross in this specific way (though Mookie's sex negativity and death fetish do obviously come up). But snowsong is more incredibly stupid than gross.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 26, 2020

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

snowsong is the point at which all of the major fan forums (OOTS threads, Keenspot) collectively threw up their hands and gave up on the comic

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
God those colours are all so garish. It really shows up how lovely all the costumes are too. Cheap and easy to cosplay, if nothing else, so maybe that could be a factor in how popular it was at cons.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

After Mookie pointed out his obsession with the color yellow in one of the Star Power blog posts I can't unsee how much yellow he uses when coloring. It's amazing he took this long to give up on coloring his art.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Soup du Jour posted:

a whole bunch of dogshit but for some reason I’m most hung up on Dominic saying “oh God”. what is the religion here??

Mookie never really explores the religion of his setting. It's a vaguely monotheistic thing with an abstract unknowable god of whom Luana is the first prophet. Towards the end there's some pseudo-mystical mumbo-jumbo like "the will of magic is the face of god" or something like that but it doesn't mean anything and it goes nowhere.

There's some pseudo-catholic trappings but it's just because Mookie doesn't have enough creativity to do more than ape things he knows.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
There are slut churches and nerd churches.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
One thing I had really forgotten was just how little meat there is on the bones of these plots. Nobody is every having to figure anything out, nobody has to sleuth their way to an answer, it's just page after page after page of plot info dropping into someone's lap. Then there's a "climactic" action page, and it reverts back to info just being dumped out with no effort or context

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
This arc, which I know is the high point of the series, is much worse than I remember from reading it 10 or more years ago.

This bodes ill.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Like, I used to read Sluggy, 8-Bit Theatre, Adventurers, a bunch of comics that don't hold up well today, but even looking back at them I can say "Ah, yeah, I can see why I was into this as a child." I cannot see anything redeeming, even as a guilty pleasure, about this. It's worse than bad, it's aggressively boring. Even reading bad fanfiction for atrocity tourism's sake a part of me can usually go "Well, I AM curious where the story will go."

Here, I'm imagining Deegan is going to probably win unambiguously, probably after going "I'm smart! Eyelasers!"

This is incredible in whole new ways to me. This isn't just bad, this is really bad. How does it go DOWN from here?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

Like, I used to read Sluggy, 8-Bit Theatre, Adventurers, a bunch of comics that don't hold up well today, but even looking back at them I can say "Ah, yeah, I can see why I was into this as a child." I cannot see anything redeeming, even as a guilty pleasure, about this. It's worse than bad, it's aggressively boring. Even reading bad fanfiction for atrocity tourism's sake a part of me can usually go "Well, I AM curious where the story will go."

Here, I'm imagining Deegan is going to probably win unambiguously, probably after going "I'm smart! Eyelasers!"

This is incredible in whole new ways to me. This isn't just bad, this is really bad. How does it go DOWN from here?

Two words: :barf:”heroic rapist”:barf:

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

There are slut churches and nerd churches.

I will give Mookie credit for one thing: He hasn't gone as far off the deep end as Tatsuya to actually portray actively sexual women as brainwashed cultists.

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 26, 2020

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Regalingualius posted:

The reread has made me believe way more that it wasn't just a writing challenge as he constantly claims. I wasn't aware of most of the early comic when that comic got posted in the equivalent of this read all those years ago. I used to think he was just that dumb and full of himself

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 26, 2020

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Billy Gnosis posted:

The reread has made me believe way more that it wasn't just a writing challenge as he constantly claims. I used to think he was just that dumb and full of himself

Same here. I barely remembered any of DD outside of the worst hits, but... actually taking a look at it again with that knowledge, Mookie’s always had issues with women even before that hot heap of horribleness.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
What gets me is that Celesto only really got pissed off and turned into a supervillain the second that he realized that Amelia not only didn't care about him but that she used him like a sentient sex toy.

Celesto didn't seem too torn up about Amelia helping to arrange the death of underskilled mind-controlled nobles so that she and Szark could collect a lot of money. Celesto was kinda bummed about Amelia stealing from the people she claims to support. I get the feeling Celesto wouldn't have cared too much about Amelia sleeping around just as long as she was still doing the mattress mambo with him along the way. It was only once Celesto had that vision where he saw Amelia sleeping with a JOCK who shared her low opinion of Celesto that the whole 'Ima become the damnedest slut-shaming/murdering Agent of Chaos you ever did see' bit came to fruition.

In short, Mookie is ten gallons of misogyny and insecurity crammed into a five gallon body.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

I think in the hands of a way stronger writer, that chain of events could've explored a lot of guilt and anger and problems in a culture that forced two kids into an abominable situation, but Mookie just plays it like Stonewater was 100% correct and justified

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Skypie posted:

I think in the hands of a way stronger writer, that chain of events could've explored a lot of guilt and anger and problems in a culture that forced two kids into an abominable situation, but Mookie just plays it like Stonewater was 100% correct and justified

Because Mookie believes he was 100% correct and justified. :ssh:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Marin Karin posted:

I will give Mookie credit for one thing: He hasn't gone as far off the deep end as Tatsuya to actually portray actively sexual women as brainwashed cultists.

IT'S A BAD RELIGION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Billy Gnosis posted:

Because Mookie believes he was 100% correct and justified. :ssh:

oh yeah, that's why I said "stronger writer." Mookie is a garbage-rear end writer who doesn't understand narrative conventions. Or rather, he knows what the conventions are but not why they're important which is why his idea of a good story is "subverting" but rather than an actual subversion, it's just "do the opposite of the narrative convention."

It reminds me of the time I saw someone post on the NaNoWriMo forums and ask "does my story really need to have a plot? Why is it so important, why can't things just happen randomly"