Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Stoatbringer posted:

As an outsider, it seems very odd how much importance is given to every little aspect of your Supreme Court and how much power they wield. In the UK we have a Supreme Court made up of about a dozen justices (all old white people, funnily enough) and I don't think I know anybody who could name even one of them. The few times they're in the news is when they're slapping Boris' wrists for trying to get away with yet another scheme of at-best-dubious legality.

Historically they were much less important but the executive branch has become much more powerful and legislative branch has given up a lot of its own authority so its pretty authoritarian regardless of who the president is. Congress is where poo poo goes to die and the courts become more powerful because of it. They actually do make decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

A lady in my neighborhood that has flown a Trump-Pence flag for the last year has now replaced it with this Trump Train flag, and now I'll have this heartwarming gif to think about every time I see it.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

historically its been up to the populace to remind the ruling elite every now and again who actually grows the food/harvests the food/builds the roads/does the labor/suffers the injustices/sacrifices the most around here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secessio_plebis

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Stoatbringer posted:

As an outsider, it seems very odd how much importance is given to every little aspect of your Supreme Court and how much power they wield. In the UK we have a Supreme Court made up of about a dozen justices (all old white people, funnily enough) and I don't think I know anybody who could name even one of them. The few times they're in the news is when they're slapping Boris' wrists for trying to get away with yet another scheme of at-best-dubious legality.

That might be because the united states was founded by a bunch of racist drunks who didn't foresee their descendants being even dumber than them 400 years in the future.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

https://twitter.com/AlxThomp/status/1309856276374003713?s=20
:shuckyes:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Stoatbringer posted:

It's not supposed to be, but it's been a 50 year project to make it like this by ceding legislative power to the executive, making it impossible to pass laws, and a deliberate strategy to throw things to the courts for them to decide what the country is allowed to do.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

It doesn’t get Facebook off the hook for cheerfully making as revenue off of calls for genocide in various countries, but that quote at least isn’t wrong. Rationality just does not have the punch of something that makes your gut instinct tell you DIFFERENT BAD! and until we’re a whole other species with new instincts, it’s going to be a recurring struggle to keep fascism and other regressions under control.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1309871615820181504?s=20

quote:

President Trump is gearing up to launch blistering personal attacks on Joe Biden and his family in the first presidential debate on Tuesday, while Biden is bracing for an onslaught and worried allies are warning the Democratic nominee not to lose his temper and lash out, according to people with knowledge of the strategies in both camps.

Trump has told associates he wants to talk specifically about his opponent’s son Hunter Biden and mused that the debates are when “people will finally realize Biden is just not there,” according to one adviser.

The president is so eager to lay into his rival that he has called aides to test out various attacks, focusing on broadsides that cast Biden as a longtime Washington insider with a limited record of accomplishment, said another adviser.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

counterpoint: donald trump, you are fat

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

*Building is burning down all around them and their pant leg has just caught on fire*

"Fire has always been hot. I don't see the problem." - Facebook executive who gets paid vulgar amounts of money because they're smarter and better than the rest or something.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

"That was there in the 30s," I say, somehow... somehow not getting I'm talking about the rise of genocidal regimes?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

trem_two posted:

A lady in my neighborhood that has flown a Trump-Pence flag for the last year has now replaced it with this Trump Train flag, and now I'll have this heartwarming gif to think about every time I see it.

Casually ask her why it's got the flag of Turkey on the front.

(Then angrily ask her why hardly any of the letters are in the same font. :argh:)

Stoatbringer fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 26, 2020

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm not really sure Trump's "These are why joe is crazy" clips are gonna do much.

BUT then again I'm not making high 6 figures to bullshit these assholes so who knows! It's buckle in time!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I love how people are bitching about Kamala saying Tupac is the best rapper alive, letting the joke soar right over their heads because they'd rather believe that she's dumb.

If someone asks you if Tupac is alive, you... Say... YES!

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

trem_two posted:

It's always amusing that they use a 200 year old steam train for these things

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

mono posted:

Trump is very strong on steam, but incredibly strong against digital.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

mono posted:

Rollin' coal to own the libs!

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Bogus Adventure posted:

I love how people are bitching about Kamala saying Tupac is the best rapper alive, letting the joke soar right over their heads because they'd rather believe that she's dumb.

If someone asks you if Tupac is alive, you... Say... YES!

On one hand my mind immediately jumped to that's exactly what she meant. On the other I can't imagine a democrat saying anything that smart after pokemon go to the polls.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Virginia Slams posted:

On one hand my mind immediately jumped to that's exactly what she meant. On the other I can't imagine a democrat saying anything that smart after pokemon go to the polls.

sometimes people who are generally lame or bad can actually be funny, trump is genuinely funny like fairly often even though he's a dumb piece of poo poo

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

mono posted:

Almost as funny that they love trains but hate light rail

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Stefan Prodan posted:

sometimes people who are generally lame or bad can actually be funny, trump is genuinely funny like fairly often even though he's a dumb piece of poo poo

I very rarely find him funny. Catty, yes. Bitchy, yes. Funny? Not really.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Oscar Wild posted:

Almost as funny that they love trains but hate light rail

They don't like trains. It just rhymes.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Trump is funniest when he’s not trying to be. Like when he went to the UN and they laughed at him.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1309936245611671552

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Proud Boys are holding a rally here today. They're actually marching the streets shooting people with paintballs.

The Portland pigs are SUPER eager to beat, shoot, gas, intimidate protesters holding signs. They are COMPLETELY absent when it comes to domestic terrorists shooting at people. Zero arrests. Zero police resistance. They're somehow magically invisible.

gently caress the Portland Police Bureau. Absolutely corrupt, violent gang of terrorist assholes.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Tenkaris posted:

Trump is funniest when he’s not trying to be. Like when he went to the UN and they laughed at him light the Christmas tree and soiled his pannies.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Trump, his open umbrella discarded

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Catastrophe posted:

Proud Boys are holding a rally here today. They're actually marching the streets shooting people with paintballs.

The Portland pigs are SUPER eager to beat, shoot, gas, intimidate protesters holding signs. They are COMPLETELY absent when it comes to domestic terrorists shooting at people. Zero arrests. Zero police resistance. They're somehow magically invisible.

gently caress the Portland Police Bureau. Absolutely corrupt, violent gang of terrorist assholes.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 28, 2020

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Lmao I'm guessing for impersonating federal employees?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Trump, his eyes searing from the eclipse

Trump, his standing technique very normal

Trump, his fish food box immediately empty

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

^^^^^^
Yeah, if she's gonna pander she should at least do it well.

A much better answer would have been to call the question stupid as poo poo. But you gotta try to get that youth vote by... appealing to their love of the rap music. Kids still like the hip hop, right?

Throwaway non sequitur questions are good for two things:
1) Disrupt the "policy policy policy" agenda being spouted by a speaker in the "oh look a duck" sense
2) Engage the human equivalent of a memory dump from the important talking points

It's incredibly telling that when asked a throwaway "who's your favorite living rap artist" she threw out 2Pac; it's probably the last time she actually cared and listened to rap music. Also show how poor her clutch is when shifting gears. It also speaks to her ability to listen to a question.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

The sooner these 2 pieces of poo poo end up in prison the sooner they can end up with coviid and just another statistic.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/seanfeucht/status/1309900815860146177?s=20

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Catastrophe posted:

It's a real bummer that the only people paying attention to Portland outside of the people who live there is the insane right wing radicalization engine. The story of what the city's faced is a powerful example of selective policing, and an outrageous display of local law enforcement allying with disruptive elements. If you heard about security forces siding with outside militias over the people they were supposed to be protecting in like... Afghanistan, it'd be a sign of a failing local government that needs help, and a security force that needs disbanding.

If we ever get a sane government, I hope there's serious investigations into that department. It needs to be cleansed with righteous fire.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Just posting to say hello on Trump's favorite page number

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Y’all are reeeeeaaaallllyyyy analyzing a question about rap music

But not analyzing the reason they asked her it: she’s black

You think they are asking that question to Biden or Trump?

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I can't explain to you how much the power of prayer has had over making actual changes in my life and the world around me.

No, like, I can't explain it simply because those changes don't exist and never happen. Ever. Ever.

Ever.

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020
Trump will destroy Biden in the debate and that’s a lol

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

END OF AN ERROR posted:

Y’all are reeeeeaaaallllyyyy analyzing a question about rap music

But not analyzing the reason they asked her it: she’s black

You think they are asking that question to Biden or Trump?

No but I think I would lol if they did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Virginia Slams posted:

Oh, I dunno. I feel like this is something smart: