Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
M. Night’s got a new movie in the works. It’s called Old
https://twitter.com/mnightshyamalan/status/1309885689752936451?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Hell yeah, I'm glad people keep giving this man chances. He's never made a boring movie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

married but discreet posted:

Hell yeah, I'm glad people keep giving this man chances. He's never made a boring movie.

The Last Airbender would like a word with you

Although I only saw it once, at a drive in, and it went out of focus halfway through

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Signs was pretty bad as was The Village and The Happening.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

aware of dog posted:

M. Night’s got a new movie in the works. It’s called Old
https://twitter.com/mnightshyamalan/status/1309885689752936451?s=21

Don't doxx me, M. Night.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Glass was loving boring and bad.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Airbender is bad, but not boring. I suppose I haven't seen Glass. Signs is a masterpiece.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Codependent Poster posted:

Glass was loving boring and bad.

Glass was good, and The Visit was entertaining

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Airbender is bad, but not boring. I suppose I haven't seen Glass. Signs is a masterpiece.

The Last Airbender is interesting if for no other reason than just how many things it’s bad at. It’s really baffling

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Lady in the Water was absolutely awful and boring as poo poo and the fact it hasn't even been brought up yet against him is a tragedy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someone please post the earthbending gif.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Detective No. 27 posted:

Someone please post the earthbending gif.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Changing all of the Fire Nation characters from Fantasy Japanese to Indian almost feels like trolling the usual dynamic in conversations about race in casting.

VV Oh yeah I should have added, on top of already having the usual dynamic about race in casting.

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 26, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

mycot posted:

Changing all of the Fire Nation characters from Fantasy Japanese to Indian almost feels like trolling the usual dynamic in conversations about race in casting.

Well they then cast a bunch of white folks for the other main characters.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RevKrule posted:

Lady in the Water was absolutely awful and boring as poo poo and the fact it hasn't even been brought up yet against him is a tragedy.

Yeah that's the only movie of Shyamalan I never watched all the way through. Though I haven't watched Signs, The Village and The Happening at all, the public reaction have kinda ruined those for me though I'm really really itching to watch The Happening.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Signs is mostly pretty good, there are some fantastic performances and Shyamalan really knows how to play with tension and release, and it's often gorgeous. There are issues, a couple of really bad shots, some really heavy-handed moments that could have been cut, so-so moments in the script, some dodgy CG, and one baffingly bad casting/character decision. Overall it's pretty good though! I think it's the sort of thing you could have probably fixed in an afternoon at the script level and then maybe taken more time to get a couple shots right, maybe an editor that can say "no" to the director.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair to The happening, if someone straight up asked me if I was planning on killing them in their sleep, my reaction would probably be one of confused incredulity too. I read Wahlberg's reading of the "What? Noooo" line to be more "What the gently caress are you even asking you weirdo?... That's where your head goes?"

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Everybody likes to make fun of Wahlberg talking to the plant but it's clearly played for comedy. Still not a good movie.

Split is great.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Split is great.

I like Split a lot. It worked great as a spiritual successor to Unbreakable even before the stinger made it clear that it was actually a sequel of Unbreakable, which is still my favorite Shyamalan movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The Visit is actually legit great, he should do more zero-budget schlock because he loving rules at it.

edit one of the reasons it works is because it's found footage he can't do the twist montage where it flashes back to all the things that foreshadowed the twist

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I haven’t seen his first two or last two but my ranking would be:

Sixth Sense
The Visit
Happening
========= The “good” cutoff
Signs
Unbreakable
The Village
========= The “bad” cutoff
After Earth
Airbender
Lady in the Water

Airbender is absolutely boring, the script is basically a Wikipedia plot summary of season 1 in dialog form.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's Sixth Sense and Unbreakable then a huge gap.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

All I remember about After Earth is that everyone talked really weirdly, and that it was far more boring than it should have been.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RevKrule posted:

People who rag on Shyamalan for the twist meme tend to miss that cynical undercurrent in all his films that isn’t carefully explained - like the scene in Unbreakable where Willis’ crime-detection superpower doesn’t work, and comes across as more like a racial profiling.

Lady in the Water is good because they straight-up tell you the mythology is bullshit, so it demands to be read in tandem with The Village, where the same “power of storytelling” is used for ill.

In any case, it’s not tough to guess why Shyamalan’s only truly bad film was the big-name franchise adaptation.

After Earth is actually his best, anyways.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really liked after earth although it did feel a little janky. having gone in with no foreknowledge of its reception, I was really surprised to learn it was almost universally hated.

sixth sense and unbreakable are really good. split was okay but I really hated the twist. airbender was atrocious. haven't seen the rest

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead
Shyamalan is a very very talented director who unfortunately constantly pairs himself with one of the most shithouse writers to ever live.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Joe Bogan posted:

Shyamalan is a very very talented director who unfortunately constantly pairs himself with one of the most shithouse writers to ever live.

Himself?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mycot posted:

VV Oh yeah I should have added, on top of already having the usual dynamic about race in casting.

I mean I'm not opposed to the Fire Nation being more Indian themed just because it could be a cool style (and weird thing is the show has exactly one Indian-coded guy show up but no clue where he came from, though he is supposedly over a century old) and the nations in Avatar are already cultural blends. (The Fire Nation is themed after Imperial Japan in particular, but has aspects of Thailand, China and their predecessor culture has a bit of Mesoamerican)

But yeah, execution seemed like making a whole bunch of changes for no reason other than a sense of 'I know better than the original writers' which may have gone over better if it also completely missed the point of why people actually like the show, too.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead

Yah

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I'll give Shyamalan credit, I certainly remember what happened in all of his films, which is more than I can say for some directors.

Not always for the reasons he intended mind you, but still.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
A friend of ours was an extra for the infamous rock throwing scene in the Last Airbender (most of his screen time is laying face-first dead on the ground) and he said the most baffling thing was listening to Shyamalan describe all the action that was going to be CGed in later and how breathtaking it would be and then seeing the film when it came out a year later.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There seems to be a lot of renewed interest in ATLA and I hope that series one day does get a proper film adaptation, or sequel, or anything really. The creators were really done dirty by Shyamalan and later Nickelodeon for Legend of Korra.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

exquisite tea posted:

There seems to be a lot of renewed interest in ATLA and I hope that series one day does get a proper film adaptation, or sequel, or anything really. The creators were really done dirty by Shyamalan and later Nickelodeon for Legend of Korra.

It's on Netflix again for the first time in like a decade so a bunch of people who haven't seen it are finally getting to watch it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Netflix was supposed to be working on a live action series with the original creators but they quit over creative differences so it's not looking good.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

At least the Airbender movie was bad in a memorable, nay legendary way.

Nobody, and I mean nobody remembers the Dragonball movie.

What Dragonball movie?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Grendels Dad posted:

At least the Airbender movie was bad in a memorable, nay legendary way.

Nobody, and I mean nobody remembers the Dragonball movie.

What Dragonball movie?

That one that started those two people from the US Shameless

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Len posted:

That one that started those two people from the US Shameless

Also that fat guy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Dragon Ball movie ultimately ended up being a good thing because it pissed off Akira Toriyama so much that he decided to start doing more Dragon Ball Z and then Super.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Meanwhile the Netflix Death Note movie did nothing but piss people off, me included.

Lakeith Stanfield as L was great though. Make a movie about him, not loving Nat Wolff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
It was a good idea they had to let Willem Dafoe take off his makeup to play Ryuk.