Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
:siren: CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO PLAY, I'M SO EXCITED!!!! :siren:
https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/coco-cloud-radical

The story of this game starts two years ago:

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

... what about a game where you're a little rain cloud, and you only have so much water, and there are like flowers and rain-barrels to drop it on if you're feeling nice, or picnics and old men if you're not.

The first boss would be a freshly washed car.
(note that this morality system did not make its way into my final game)

A promising idea! A thread was made: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860896
Many BYOB goons contributed art, gameplay ideas, or lore. Some prototypes were developed and posted in that thread. Unfortunately, the project fell by the wayside for several reasons.

So, what prompted this revival? A few things:
-I learned how to use the Godot Game Engine, which helped me successfully program more complicated projects
-After 2 years, I had plenty of time to mull over solutions to issues that irked me about the 2018 version of the game
-A game jam came along, whose theme perfectly matched the theme of the cloud game
-I had some free time lying around

So, that's the story of how "Coco Cloud Radical" came to be. You can read more about the development process in the postmortem here.

This game would not exist without BYOB! All of you please pat yourself on the back! Time is cyclical (as we all know) so even if you registered on SA yesterday, after the game was already finished, I believe you still helped out somehow, so you may ALSO pat yourself on the back! In fact, it is MANDATORY. Compliance drones will be dispatched momentarily to ensure that all back-patting protocols are being followed, forever. Thanks for your participation, citizen!

SPECIAL BONUS: The credits page of the game features watercolor art by none other than BYOB superstar Plant Monster! Here’s a sneak preview:

Want to see more? You’ll have to play the game, big boy :wink:

Anyway. Now that I've exercised my game making chops a bit, I'd love it if byob could collectively make a more collaborative game together in the future. I envision a thread in which everyone could contribute content (art, music, code, etc.) and it could get added to a brand new game, whose concept matches a game jam theme. There is a 9-day game jam from October 9th to October 18th that could work. Any interest in this?

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
:five:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

alnilam

Using every ounce of self control to not make a waiting for godot joke while the loading bar loads

ty manifisto

alnilam

it's really cute and nice and fun! ty blaise rascal for making byob's dream come true

ty manifisto

alnilam

the music is nice did you invent the music yourself

was it played by these clams

ty manifisto

blaise rascal

alnilam posted:

Using every ounce of self control to not make a waiting for godot joke while the loading bar loads
lmao. According to the devs, naming the engine Godot represents "the never-ending wish of adding new features in the engine, which would get it closer to an exhaustive product, but never will." Kinda clever imo

alnilam posted:

the music is nice did you invent the music yourself

was it played by these clams

yes, I wrote the music! I posted a bit about it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909501&pagenumber=9#post508157394

In my mind, as I was writing it, I kept thinking of the Katamari Damacy soundtrack, so if anything, the characters from that game are the ones performing the song!

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

nut

drat u know ur boy hit 101% radicalness and am a big fan of the pirate feeling-himself dance

Prof. Crocodile

yes it is as i have always suspected: i am more radical than is mathematically possible.

this was very wonderful br, from the vintage nintendo chill game music to the floaty cloud movement, to the exultant turtles. :five:

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

This was a lot of fun!

blaise rascal

nut posted:

drat u know ur boy hit 101% radicalness and am a big fan of the pirate feeling-himself dance
Fun fact about the pirate: My original idea was for him to be yanking a treasure chest out of the sand, so you have to wash away the sand.

The issue with this original idea, is that it clearly looks like he's loving the chest. So now he pushes it instead of pulling it.

blaise rascal

Glad people are enjoying the game!

Prof. Crocodile posted:

yes it is as i have always suspected: i am more radical than is mathematically possible.
Good job! I'm pretty sure 101 is the maximum score. The reason for that number, if you're wondering, is that an hour before submission, I ran around and tried to rain on everything, and got a score of 86. I thought, "I should really add more stuff so that the max score is 100." I added some units that I calculated would bring the total to 100, but didn't have time to retest, so I just submitted the game as-is. Looks like I did the math wrong, lol.

FPzero

Game Over
Return of Mido

what a cute cloud game, i helped those islanders and got 101% radical-er. Great job!

sig by Heather Papps!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i use the equivalent of a hamster on a spinning wheel to browse online and my "browser doesn't support web assembly" so I can't play but I remember the original thread and I'm glad you made the game :)

blaise rascal

Luvcow posted:

i use the equivalent of a hamster on a spinning wheel to browse online and my "browser doesn't support web assembly" so I can't play but I remember the original thread and I'm glad you made the game :)
In 2 days I will upload a version of the game that you can play. (I can't do it now because submissions are locked for voting in the game jam)

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

i've been waiting so long and it's finally here and i love it

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Ass-penny

Thanks for sharing this game with us, it is great. :)

101% radical over here :c2b:

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I like the cloud game

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Evil Bob

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
Great work Blaise Rascal!!! That was fun =)

City of Glompton

ohmygosh i am so excited to play this!! :peanut:

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Jinh

I finally got time to play it!

The music is so catchy im still whistling it, and the game is really uplifting and playful! At first i thought that the evaporate/drip mechanic was gonna be like moral choices, deciding who to help and maybe changing your mind after giving somebody water who does bad stuff with it, idk. so i didn't know i could refill over the ocean and i was scared to run out of water and really conserved it. Once i saw the whole island and hit right click over water i realized it wasn't really intended to be a water conservation challenge lol

thanks so much cda <3

City of Glompton

ahh that was wonderful :love:

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Robot Made of Meat

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I like the cloud game

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

blaise rascal

Jinh posted:

At first i thought that the evaporate/drip mechanic was gonna be like moral choices, deciding who to help and maybe changing your mind after giving somebody water who does bad stuff with it, idk. so i didn't know i could refill over the ocean and i was scared to run out of water and really conserved it.
:doh:
I understand how you might think that, especially since my OP leads off with BoldFrankensteinMir's idea for a game with a morality system. (I ended up cutting that mechanic, both because it was complicated, and also because I didn't want to reward the player for playing poorly, if that makes sense.)

I rewrote the OP so that it should be less misleading now.

Anyway, that was valuable playtesting information! Thanks!

Khanstant
101% speedrun video incoming as soon as i get my chrome capture card.

this was delightful!! very cool, total rad, wow!

Khanstant
the facial expression on the cloud was greats

Jinh

Also the watercolor was a beautiful reward and bookend for completing the game :lovebird:

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
just played it. only got to about 50% radical because I suck at videogames but it was super chill and fun and i loved the music and plantmonster's watercolor. Congrats to BR and Plant Monster for a job well done!

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Pahilla the Hun

Thinking about making a post

Think about it, make a post

i am super proud of you for finishing this and i can't wait to play it

pizzaz plarpin perfect! thanks Tebulot!

BattleSausage

I'm butter side up, baby.

This is a good game. I like being a helpful cloud :)

blaise rascal

Khanstant posted:

101% speedrun video incoming as soon as i get my chrome capture card.

this was delightful!! very cool, total rad, wow!
Looking forward to the speedrun! See if you can beat my time of 4 minutes

magic cactus posted:

just played it. only got to about 50% radical because I suck at videogames but it was super chill and fun and i loved the music and plantmonster's watercolor. Congrats to BR and Plant Monster for a job well done!
All are good at the cloud game, friend! Thanks for playing!

Also if you posted in this thread and I didn't respond, just know that you rock!!!!!!!! Thank you for playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good news everyone, we got fifth place! :woop:

I really want to make it clear that this is a BYOB game, and all of you should feel a sense of ownership for it. There were so many people who contributed ideas in the original thread, and a lot of those ideas got used or reworked for the final game. So, good job everyone!

Idk if I'll develop this game further, but if I do, I'll probably start a new thread. So that's about it for this thread, hope you all have a lovely day.

Chrs

blaise rascal posted:

Glad people are enjoying the game!

Good job! I'm pretty sure 101 is the maximum score. The reason for that number, if you're wondering, is that an hour before submission, I ran around and tried to rain on everything, and got a score of 86. I thought, "I should really add more stuff so that the max score is 100." I added some units that I calculated would bring the total to 100, but didn't have time to retest, so I just submitted the game as-is. Looks like I did the math wrong, lol.

101% adds a fun touch I think. Like you're more radical than is mathematically possible.

blaise rascal

Chrs posted:

101% adds a fun touch I think. Like you're more radical than is mathematically possible.
Yeah, I think you're right! I accidentally gave the game some charm, maybe.

I just wrote a devlog post about ways I may develop this game further: https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/coco-cloud-radical/devlog/181523/ways-i-may-develop-this-game-further

Anything I write in the future about the game will probably be posted there on itch.io as well. I don't think I'll repost everything in SA, but if you see me around and you'd like to know the status of the game, feel free to ask.

Chrs

Will read it. The game is fun and theres a lot of promise in the concept, you should definitely develop it further.

I've just recently started to get back into game dev after a long break. Maybe we could have a thread in BYOB about games people are making around here.

blaise rascal

Chrs posted:

Maybe we could have a thread in BYOB about games people are making around here.
I’d post there!

Musluk

I expected another cloud, tbh!

Vanisheerrrrrr!!!

alnilam

Musluk posted:

Planet's rainin, cloud

ty manifisto

blaise rascal

Musluk posted:

:pusheen:

Actually, a video game featuring the world and characters of FFVII is not outside the realm of something I'd consider doing someday. I've often thought it would be cool to make a really polished fan game, based on a popular media. I could make a MTG fangame, or a Critical Role fangame, or Spirited Away fangame, or whatever. I couldn't sell it since I don't own the IP, but I could put it on my website with a "donate" button nearby. (Which even still may not be legal, but maybe it could slide.)

Check this out: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/criticalrole/critical-role-the-legend-of-vox-machina-animated-s

The listeners of d&d podcast Critical Role donated $11,000,000 (!) on kickstarter to bring to life a cartoon based on the show. Based on that, I think it's pretty clear that there's a demand for content that allows people to enjoy their favorite media in a new way.

sb hermit

101% radical cloud chiming in here.

I remember that the previous engine used haxeflixel, but this one uses godot. What limitations of haxe led you specifically to use godot? I guess you should put this on your dev blog if you feel that a detailed explanation here may not be appropriate.

blaise rascal

starbucks hermit posted:

101% radical cloud chiming in here.

I remember that the previous engine used haxeflixel, but this one uses godot. What limitations of haxe led you specifically to use godot? I guess you should put this on your dev blog if you feel that a detailed explanation here may not be appropriate.
I chose to answer this in a new thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941963

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

This is wonderful and BR is wonderful for making it, thank you so much fellow Unglued goon.

Sig by Heather Papps