Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Had another case of clicking a quote link loading just the new posts in the thread instead of taking me to the quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Brain Curry posted:

It seems like if I click a link to a different thread, browse, bookmark etc, and then swipe back to the original thread, the posts don’t get marked as read. Going back to my bookmarks and clicking on the newly bookmarked thread takes me to the op.

A couple versions back we changed it so following links won't update your last read position in that thread. I think it's the right default, but this is a case where marking as read makes sense. My hope is once it's clear how it works, it's not too annoying to manually mark as read after following an interesting link?

There's certainly room for improvement. For example, I'd have to check, but at the moment I think if you:

1. Follow a link to a never-before-seen thread,
2. Mark as read, then
3. Continue reading more pages in that same view

then Awful won't mark those more pages as read. Which doesn't seem helpful, as you've clearly indicated that you want to mark this thread as read.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Had another case of clicking a quote link loading just the new posts in the thread instead of taking me to the quote.

Had you already seen the quoted post? Like was it in the Previous Posts on that page? (Sorry, I forget the circumstances you mentioned before.)

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

pokeyman posted:

A couple versions back we changed it so following links won't update your last read position in that thread. I think it's the right default, but this is a case where marking as read makes sense. My hope is once it's clear how it works, it's not too annoying to manually mark as read after following an interesting link?

Not too annoying. Maybe an improvement would be marking as read or bookmarking an unread linked thread would change it to behave like other threads.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pokeyman posted:

Had you already seen the quoted post? Like was it in the Previous Posts on that page? (Sorry, I forget the circumstances you mentioned before.)

Yeah, the quoted post was in the previous posts in that page, or perhaps the page before-either way it was in a circumstance where it would have to load posts and it loaded the new posts instead of the correct one.

E:just had it happen from the leper’s colony too.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 20, 2020

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Hey, how about this for the UI? No dimming / brightening or horizontal hairline pixel border separating the blurred area from the content.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

spanky the dolphin posted:

Hey, how about this for the UI? No dimming / brightening or horizontal hairline pixel border separating the blurred area from the content.

I have to say I wouldn't be a fan. I think it'll be too distracting/hard to read in motion. Maybe with some tinting?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I have nothing constructive to add aside from the fact that a screenshot of a tweet from “Doctor Dogballs” is part of a bug report.

Hell yeah

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

carry on then posted:

I have to say I wouldn't be a fan. I think it'll be too distracting/hard to read in motion. Maybe with some tinting?

This has a bit of shade and blur.

This one is 75% tint, no blur.

I think having a sense of what's behind the top and bottom navbars would help orient the user a bit and make the app feel more open, if that makes sense. It feels a shame to have all this vertical screen space and not take advantage of it, I've seen it in some other apps and I don't find it distracting at all in motion, but that's me.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I definitely think the last is the best but I don’t know how much the juice is worth the squeeze. It’s a little apples and oranges but if autohide was really nice it seems like a better idea to get behind.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gonna agree with The Dave on this one. I’m sure some tweaks could improve it, but I really just don’t think that the overall direction is an improvement.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

yeah the point of making them pure black in that theme was to maximize every pixel that was turned completely off. if we want to display more content lets do autohide so the content can actually be read.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

carry on then posted:

yeah the point of making them pure black in that theme was to maximize every pixel that was turned completely off. if we want to display more content lets do autohide so the content can actually be read.

Yeah good call. Autohide would be the best.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014
Weird share sheet interaction.

iOS 14
Awful v 4.11
iPhone XR

When I try to share an image from the forums through the Share Sheet to Slack, it doesn’t dismiss the Share Sheet after sharing. It dismisses just fine if it’s being shared to Discord or Messages, though.

Also, sharing URLs works fine. Do a long press on a URL, select “Share URL”, select Slack, and post - everything dismisses properly.

And I can’t interact with the Share Sheet after that, either. It’s like it locks it in place and doesn’t accept any taps. The Share Sheet looks a little weird near the bottom of the screen too - like a thick grey bar.

I end up having to swipe up and close the app fully (not just go to Home Screen), then open it again.

Previously, whenever I had issues like this, I could swipe up or down on the sheet, and it would “come forward” (it would get bigger, as if it was initially sitting further away from the screen and the swipe would make it move towards me). Then I could dismiss it manually.

I don’t know if this is an Awful thing, or some way that the Slack share sheet item is broken. I have screenshots but I never post pics on SA, so I have no idea how to do it properly here.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Was this always a thing or is it new that long pressing a link now obscures the url in the pop up with the copy/paste text stuff? I don’t remember that being a thing before.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Has anyone else seen the app having trouble loading or lagging a bit more than usual the last day or so? I was having some trouble scrolling and typing yesterday, but assumed something on my end. Today, I’ve noticed it stuttering a fair bit while loading pages, and some lag while typing again.

It’s not consistent, for example it’s not happening as I’m doing this post. I don’t know for sure if it’s an app issue or the forums being the forums (Always a possibility), but I haven’t noticed it with any other apps I use or seen anyone else mention any issues with the forums at large today. FWIW, I’m on iPhone 8, iOS 14 and current version of the app.

EDIT: Maybe related, maybe not, but after making this post, this thread still remained buried in the middle of my bookmarks thread, even showing me as the most recent post there, rather than moving up to the top. :shrug:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

fartknocker posted:

EDIT: Maybe related, maybe not, but after making this post, this thread still remained buried in the middle of my bookmarks thread, even showing me as the most recent post there, rather than moving up to the top. :shrug:

That is an expected forums thing, from what I understand. Fixes itself relatively quickly.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

astral posted:

That is an expected forums thing, from what I understand. Fixes itself relatively quickly.

Yeah, it took maybe five minutes but that corrected itself. Guess I’d never noticed that one happening before.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The order of your bookmarks is updated via a forums script that runs every 5 minutes or so.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Charles posted:

The order of your bookmarks is updated via a forums script that runs every 5 minutes or so.

Completely on brand for SA.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

carry on then posted:

Completely on brand for SA.

Only if it has load-bearing bigotry.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I can’t open a smilie image by holding down on it anymore, it selects nearby text instead

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Yeah press and hold for stuff seems more goofy that normal now. It takes some loving around to make sure I upload an image without overwriting text.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
tip: if you accidentally hit ignore instead of rap sheet or profile or whatever on a user and want to unignore them, but the button still says Ignore it is because you tapped to view their post. you have to tap on their avatar while the post is still hidden and the button will be Unignore

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

experienceBeej posted:

Weird share sheet interaction.

That's super weird, and it's probably Awful's fault. I'll check it out.

Stare-Out posted:

Was this always a thing or is it new that long pressing a link now obscures the url in the pop up with the copy/paste text stuff? I don’t remember that being a thing before.

I think there's been some web view changes in the last couple iOS versions, and this (and similar things) have gotten worse over time. Guess we're about due for another round of web view fun.

fartknocker posted:

Has anyone else seen the app having trouble loading or lagging a bit more than usual the last day or so? I was having some trouble scrolling and typing yesterday, but assumed something on my end. Today, I’ve noticed it stuttering a fair bit while loading pages, and some lag while typing again.

It’s not consistent, for example it’s not happening as I’m doing this post. I don’t know for sure if it’s an app issue or the forums being the forums (Always a possibility), but I haven’t noticed it with any other apps I use or seen anyone else mention any issues with the forums at large today. FWIW, I’m on iPhone 8, iOS 14 and current version of the app.

It could be some weird corner case or two you're finding, or maybe some resource constraints, but if it's only happening recently then I'm not sure what might have changed. If you notice any pattern to it, definitely holler. I'll keep an eye out too.

Crime on a Dime posted:

tip: if you accidentally hit ignore instead of rap sheet or profile or whatever on a user and want to unignore them, but the button still says Ignore it is because you tapped to view their post. you have to tap on their avatar while the post is still hidden and the button will be Unignore

Well that's a bug. On the list it goes!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Tapping a Twitter embed isn’t taking me to the tweet today. If there’s a pic it will go and I can still get there if I tap on the comments part.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

fknlo posted:

Tapping a Twitter embed isn’t taking me to the tweet today. If there’s a pic it will go and I can still get there if I tap on the comments part.

tap the date :D

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Or the little blue bird

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mod/IK question. I’m an IK in Cycle Asylum and one of the couple things you can do as an IK is edit other peoples posts.

I constantly accidentally hit edit instead of quote on people’s posts. The problem with that is when I cancel out of the edit screen and hit quote it just brings me back to the edit screen and the only options I get are “cancel” or “save”

The only way to fix this and be able to quote that post is to completely kill the app and go back in

So two things:

1) could the quote and edit buttons be separated a bit more (or can we have an option to move them for those that are super used to the layout)?

2) is there a way around that edit/quote problem that I’m not seeing?

I can provide screenshots if needed

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I just recently got an iPad, I'd been on Kindle Fires for the last few years. This is a good app, but I have a few minor things.

Is there a way to log in to YouTube so the embedded videos won't have ads?

Is there a way to save videos that aren't YouTube?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

You get ads on embedded YouTube videos?

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Warbird posted:

You get ads on embedded YouTube videos?

Text ads, but yeah.

Edit: like this:

St_Ides fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 26, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh it's so annoying. Everytime I log in via Safari it just loads the YouTube app, quits, and is back to being not signed in. You can long press the video and select Open in YouTube, however.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Theoretically if you're logged into the regular YouTube app, wouldn't that cover you here? Or maybe youtube in Safari and/or Chrome? I don't actually know how that even ends up in the webview.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Theoretically if you're logged into the regular YouTube app, wouldn't that cover you here? Or maybe youtube in Safari and/or Chrome? I don't actually know how that even ends up in the webview.

FWIW I like not being logged in because lol at some of the videos being in my history fuckin things up. I can safely watch any embedded video and if it’s something I want to watch I just long press and open in the YouTube app.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Charles posted:

Oh it's so annoying. Everytime I log in via Safari it just loads the YouTube app, quits, and is back to being not signed in. You can long press the video and select Open in YouTube, however.

shortspecialbus posted:

Logged in to the YT app, Safari and Chrome. Still have ads in app. Nowhere else.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
iPhone X, iOS 14, Awful 4.10

I’m slow on new username/avatar features, but the weird colorization on that user Peta seemed odd:

Is that intentional?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There might be some iOS 14 wonkiness happening

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

iPhone X, iOS 14, Awful 4.10

I’m slow on new username/avatar features, but the weird colorization on that user Peta seemed odd:

Is that intentional?

That is intentional. Their user name was given that treatment on the actual forums several years ago because they used to always post in QCS asking when 3D browsing would be enabled on the forums. I added it to the app css to match. I almost never browse the forums anywhere but the app anymore, so I have no idea if they still have that on the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

That is intentional. Their user name was given that treatment on the actual forums several years ago because they used to always post in QCS asking when 3D browsing would be enabled on the forums. I added it to the app css to match. I almost never browse the forums anywhere but the app anymore, so I have no idea if they still have that on the site.

3D browsing was removed a while back. Feel free to also remove it from the app. :)