Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If Coco and Haachama have to apologize then China literally gets everything they wanted so it's a pretty big L

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Eej posted:

If Coco and Haachama have to apologize then China literally gets everything they wanted so it's a pretty big L

Which might seem small in comparison to losing access to the CN market and the income they already gain from bilibili streams.

From Hololive's perspective, it might be best to cave in, move on, and try to make sure the girls don't go near that beehive again. I doubt the overseas fanbase would blame them for not wanting to stare down the CCP.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm gonna laugh if Coco apologizes for bringing up touchy subjects then immediately rotates her model and bows to apologize to her Taiwanese fans for not being able to speak about them anymore

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't know how you get an idol style apology out of Kiryu Coco, someone that's kinda the diametric opposite of all that stuff and has multiple times said that it sucks, so hopefully Cover doesn't make too big a deal about it

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gently caress capitalism.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
At least they don't work for Activision.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The best possible scenario is for Cover to just ignore it and wait for it to blow over. It's insane to suggest that it's a good idea for an international company to toe the party line in China with regards to Acceptable Speech because they want Chinabux while Chinese nationals are already illegally VPNing to watch Youtube anyway. What's next, Amelia getting in trouble with management for regaling another story about possible brain damage due to her brother beaning her in the head with a Winnie the Pooh VHS?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It would explain some things

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
they simulstream all this stuff to bilibili. the channels were taken down because the streams were reported, on bilibili.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Brunom1 posted:

Which might seem small in comparison to losing access to the CN market and the income they already gain from bilibili streams.

From Hololive's perspective, it might be best to cave in, move on, and try to make sure the girls don't go near that beehive again. I doubt the overseas fanbase would blame them for not wanting to stare down the CCP.

I don't know, ever since the Blizzard thing nerds have seemed violently opposed to capitulation to China related stuff. Might not go over particularly well, especially since they might see it as Cover throwing the girls to the wolves like when Aloe did her apology. That's still pretty fresh in people's minds.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i think people are underestimating the money from bilibili.

also chinese viewers were like a big part of why Ai chan lost a lot of viewership and changed directions multiple times. I can't even remember what angered the chinese viewers but they had a long dedicated campaign to tank her.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Onean posted:

Pekora's debuting her new 3D avatar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkkX_YDeN2g

That's a straight downgrade. The stupid expressions her live2d makes are half the appeal. hopefully she only uses it for stuff like VR games.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dealing with Chinese money sounds like raiding a dragon’s hoard.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's not even profitable either lol

Look what happened to Lotte

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Aurora posted:

noted bad people *checks notes* the bolsheviks?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Terror

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CJ posted:

That's a straight downgrade. The stupid expressions her live2d makes are half the appeal. hopefully she only uses it for stuff like VR games.

On the other hand, did you see the way she tilts her head when doing drifts in Mario Kart? Very kawaii, peko.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Liar Lyre posted:

On the other hand, did you see the way she tilts her head when doing drifts in Mario Kart? Very kawaii, peko.

it was good when she tilted it and her head jerked into her shoulder like her neck was broken. she said she would use that during horror streams lol

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Tabletops posted:

it was good when she tilted it and her head jerked into her shoulder like her neck was broken. she said she would use that during horror streams lol

Her model is cursed.
https://youtu.be/VhG9DvWqexQ

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

CJ posted:

Her mouth needs to move more and I think it would be fine.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

trucutru posted:

It's is not dumb at all. There is a serious effort to deal with Taiwan and bullying people into not even mentioning it is an actual policy.

That is by definition incredibly dumb.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

If her legs fold up during her streams that may be a sanity check on every listener.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

early Pikamee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KtraqMw9So

the voice is a bit different!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
tf you can't do the nostalgia view when its not even half a year back

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm37577121

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Tabletops posted:

i think people are underestimating the money from bilibili.

also chinese viewers were like a big part of why Ai chan lost a lot of viewership and changed directions multiple times. I can't even remember what angered the chinese viewers but they had a long dedicated campaign to tank her.

Kizuna Ai also predated a large english-speaking audience for this market on the scale we have today. Do you have any figures on bilibili money to back up that argument?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Patware posted:

Kizuna Ai also predated a large english-speaking audience for this market on the scale we have today. Do you have any figures on bilibili money to back up that argument?
Not true, upd8 really aggressively pushed Kizuna Ai in English, they went out of their way to have all her videos subbed and everything. The audience was way smaller cause it was two years ago, but everyone knows who Kizuna Ai is, she collabed with pewdiepie

They also tried to expand to China with the Chinese Kizuna Ai, but when they had their love show to celebrate her coming to China everyone was disappointed that it was someone else doing the Kizuna Ai voice talking in Chinese rather than the OG, that was also around the same time as the Multiple AI Project though when everyone started to hate Kizuna Ai

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Considering their track record, I have pretty much zero confidence in CoverCorp and their ability to handle any kind of PR crisis, so I will be shocked if this won't end up with some kind of kowtowing to China. About the most credit I am willing to give to them is recognizing the possibility that they might do it in some kind of impersonal, official, PR statement from the whole company/project instead of dragging Coco and Haato through the mud via forced apology video.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Cover is 100% going to give in, it’s what they do

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

homeless snail posted:

Not true, upd8 really aggressively pushed Kizuna Ai in English, they went out of their way to have all her videos subbed and everything. The audience was way smaller cause it was two years ago, but everyone knows who Kizuna Ai is, she collabed with pewdiepie

The audience was way smaller, because it was two years ago. I didn't say poo poo about people not knowing who Kizuna Ai is, I said the market share wasn't nearly as large. I didn't say they didn't try to get the English audience, I said the market share wasn't nearly as large.

Cover, right this second, has less proportionally to lose by not addressing this latest debacle than upd8 did at the time, going by the information I have available to me. Like, we'll see what happens, they have access to data we don't. Ultimately no matter which way the situation breaks, Coco got a bunch of people to buy memberships so they could have the privilege of buying angry superchats, so she's come out the winner on this one. I doubt Cover will gently caress with her too badly given her raw clout.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Cover is 100% going to give in, it’s what they do

Lol. Companies a thousand times its size would do the same if actually asked officially.

In the end a lovely non-apology is all that it takes. I'm sorry if some people were offended and blah blah.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ihlZKVwAI

Oh my loving god. :allears:

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
There's nothing to apologize for anyway. They got banned for a month from bilibili. They weren't out to make an intentional political statement. They were just reading out youtube analytics. That should be then end of it. The only people making it political are Chinese trolls and gently caress them. A large portion of the Chinese audience isn't going to give a poo poo.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymG-GkwCYd8

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Trihugger posted:

There's nothing to apologize for anyway. They got banned for a month from bilibili. They weren't out to make an intentional political statement. They were just reading out youtube analytics. That should be then end of it. The only people making it political are Chinese trolls and gently caress them. A large portion of the Chinese audience isn't going to give a poo poo.

Even then, last I checked, Coco's chat seemed pretty under control.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

There are a few people hounding her in Twitter replies, but that's just kind of sad more than anything

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymG-GkwCYd8

pikamee talking about her experience with lovely jobs and interviews. currently talking about how she had to learn how to make sandwhiches at subway from the customers instead of her boss.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Hiring manager: "Have you ever been fired at your previous job?"
Pika: *brain registers fired as hired* "YEA YEA !!"
Manager: "...why?"
Pika: "CUZ IM GOOD AT IT!"
Manager: "So you got fired at your previous job cuz you're good at it?"
Pika: "YEA"

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 27, 2020

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Pikamee is a treasure

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

SpartanIvy posted:

Pikamee is a treasure

Pikamee maintaining the verbal tic of "sou sou sou" is actually really impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
it's just idiomatic japanese