Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Edith Finch got a prequel(?)/side-story of sorts recently in The Unfinished Swan, so there's also that for those who that game appealed to.

The Unfinished Swan is old, it was originally released on the PS3 back in 2012. It just came to PC recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

What Remains of Edith Finch is probably at the top of the list besides Firewatch

if you'd like to check out the progenitor of the whole walking sim genre, Dear Esther can also be cleared in an hour

I actually have Dear Esther and was thinking of firing that up next, so I guess that confirms it! Also put What Remains on my wishlist. Thanks!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Steam said I might like this game, do you guys think I should try it?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1091210/Kissing_Simulator/

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
https://steamcommunity.com/id/Tortolia/

Tortolia's also been compromised (and their profile went private when it happened)

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Has anyone heard anything about The Falconeer https://store.steampowered.com/app/1135260/The_Falconeer/ which is coming out in November? It looks kinda neat.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Has anyone heard anything about The Falconeer https://store.steampowered.com/app/1135260/The_Falconeer/ which is coming out in November? It looks kinda neat.

drat I hadn't heard of this till now but it looks pretty awesome.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have not but it looks pretty interesting! Seems to have a similar art style to The Pathless, a game that I am also looking forward to.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It looks cool and I'll keep an eye on it, but I admit, I am a bit disappointed that it's not an actual game about falconry.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

bagmonkey posted:

Steam said I might like this game, do you guys think I should try it?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1091210/Kissing_Simulator/

JFC Steam recommendations get worse by the day.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

bagmonkey posted:

My friend recommended I finally play Firewatch and man, that was a pretty enjoyable game. I especially liked the fact that it only took two playing sessions to get through. Any recommendations on similar story-heavy games that don't take too long to beat?

the stanley parable and gone home

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oh Mafia 1, how I missed you.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Oh my bad, I didn't realize you meant HOTAS. I don't think so? What do you currently use to assign keys?

Nothing yet. I’m open to suggestions though.

However I’m also thinking about just setting fancy rebinds with the arrow and WASD keys along with a few modifiers. Might just be easier that way.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Deakul posted:

Oh Mafia 1, how I missed you.

Let's be real for a second : those of you who played pre-patch Mafia 1 back in the day, how many actually found this mission hard vs just heard from other people that it was hard?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Following up on the other day's Monster Hunter discussion; I've put a fair amount of hours into Dauntless by myself since Thursday and I have to say, this is a wildly different experience playing solo VS with a group. Feels a lot more fun and engaging solo. Playing MHW on my PS4 with buddies, particularly friends with prior MH experience, just felt like a hammy zergfest.

I've done some group content in Dauntless and it feels similarly mindless, but I'm also still on the Babys First Hunt kind of content that isn't particularly challenging

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

K8.0 posted:

Let's be real for a second : those of you who played pre-patch Mafia 1 back in the day, how many actually found this mission hard vs just heard from other people that it was hard?

No idea but I'm playing on classic mode and this race is loving impossible, achievements be damned I'm lowering some poo poo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sab669 posted:

Following up on the other day's Monster Hunter discussion; I've put a fair amount of hours into Dauntless by myself since Thursday and I have to say, this is a wildly different experience playing solo VS with a group. Feels a lot more fun and engaging solo. Playing MHW on my PS4 with buddies, particularly friends with prior MH experience, just felt like a hammy zergfest.

I've done some group content in Dauntless and it feels similarly mindless, but I'm also still on the Babys First Hunt kind of content that isn't particularly challenging
Is the solo content any good? I've been considering trying it, but well, free games.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Is the solo content any good? I've been considering trying it, but well, free games.

:shrug: I'm having fun enough so far. Most of the MTX are cosmetic, although there seems to be some sort of Premium service that if you subscribe to you get more loot from each hunt which is kinda lame. But I mean grinding is the nature of the game so it doesn't necessarily feel "pay to win". It's not like they sell actual weaposn, y'know? It's just pay to save time.

If you're burnt out on MHW, or simply don't want to spend the :20bux: then you may as well at least try it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sounds good enough to me, then. Twitch Prime keeps offering me free content for it anyway, may as well get something out of it. Thanks.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

bagmonkey posted:

My friend recommended I finally play Firewatch and man, that was a pretty enjoyable game. I especially liked the fact that it only took two playing sessions to get through. Any recommendations on similar story-heavy games that don't take too long to beat?

I liked Tacoma a lot. It tends to get overshadowed by its own predecessor, but I probably enjoyed it as much as Gone Home, just for different reasons.

If the visual novel style doesn't put you off, Eliza was one of the better games I played last year.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

K8.0 posted:

From memory, I found it harder to get the stupid car back in one piece than to win the actual race.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

K8.0 posted:

I remember not being able to win the race without using the shortcut on the track.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

K8.0 posted:

It took me at least several days to beat. The remake's living up to that experience, so far...

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Tortolia/

Tortolia's also been compromised (and their profile went private when it happened)

A few folks were kind enough to let me know on Thursday when this started happening; I changed my PW, ran virus scans and also revoked my Steam API login key, so we should hopefully be set. Please let me know if it still looks like it's happening. The private profile thing was something I deliberately toggled then.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Tortolia posted:

A few folks were kind enough to let me know on Thursday when this started happening; I changed my PW, ran virus scans and also revoked my Steam API login key, so we should hopefully be set. Please let me know if it still looks like it's happening. The private profile thing was something I deliberately toggled then.

I wanted to tell you when I was first messaged by you, but you don't have PMs (Nor were your comments open at the time). Sorry :smith:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

What Remains of Edith Finch is probably at the top of the list besides Firewatch

if you'd like to check out the progenitor of the whole walking sim genre, Dear Esther can also be cleared in an hour

Dear Esther is great when it's on a linear path. When you wander to explore and find nothing and have to backtrack at the same slow pace its pretty annoying.

For "walking simulators" that are more of a game you have Jazzpunk and Outer Wilds. Jazzpunk is surreal as hell and has a ton going on, and Outer Wilds is one of the best games I've ever played. Even as insanely frustrating as it could be at times and I ended up having to get help with the later puzzles it was still a sublimely beautiful game.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 26, 2020

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

I wanted to tell you when I was first messaged by you, but you don't have PMs (Nor were your comments open at the time). Sorry :smith:

No worries, thank you anyway!

Also Sailak was able to point me to the login history page and yeah, looks like I'm good now.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's a bit crazy how fast that phishing scheme is spreading and that nobody at Valve seems to be doing anything about it so far.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I've only heard about it here, so I wouldn't call it terribly fast spreading compared to other scams.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Sab669 posted:

:shrug: I'm having fun enough so far. Most of the MTX are cosmetic, although there seems to be some sort of Premium service that if you subscribe to you get more loot from each hunt which is kinda lame. But I mean grinding is the nature of the game so it doesn't necessarily feel "pay to win". It's not like they sell actual weaposn, y'know? It's just pay to save time.

If you're burnt out on MHW, or simply don't want to spend the :20bux: then you may as well at least try it.

One of the things I appreciate about Monster Hunter games is that they're not endless-grind, games-as-a-service type deals. They put a game out, I consume it utterly, and then I'm done with it until the next one comes out in a couple of years. They don't have any particular need to pad out your playtime like a forever-updating MMO does.

It's too bad the next one is going to be on the Switch, so they're going to lose a lot of people who got into MHW.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Triarii posted:

One of the things I appreciate about Monster Hunter games is that they're not endless-grind, games-as-a-service type deals. They put a game out, I consume it utterly, and then I'm done with it until the next one comes out in a couple of years. They don't have any particular need to pad out your playtime like a forever-updating MMO does.

It's too bad the next one is going to be on the Switch, so they're going to lose a lot of people who got into MHW.

That's not at all what happened with World. World not only had endless content patches but also has seasonal events with time-limited cosmetic rewards and stuff. It's totally a games as a service kind of game now.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Det_no posted:

That's not at all what happened with World. World not only had endless content patches but also has seasonal events with time-limited cosmetic rewards and stuff. It's totally a games as a service kind of game now.

no its not. there was additional content through its pipeline but its not anything near a destiny or something.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Det_no posted:

The difference is that they're not profiting off of any of that, so they don't need to keep stringing players along in order to pay the bills. The content patches are also pointedly not endless, seeing as how they've already announced the next game (and I think the next monster they're adding is the final one?)

My impression with Dauntless is that the idea is to keep adding content ~forever~ which just creates a different feel to the game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The events are also distinctly optional and it would be entirely possible to play the game completely offline and get a full experience out of it, so it's a bit different to start with.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Triarii posted:

The difference is that they're not profiting off of any of that, so they don't need to keep stringing players along in order to pay the bills. The content patches are also pointedly not endless, seeing as how they've already announced the next game (and I think the next monster they're adding is the final one?)

My impression with Dauntless is that the idea is to keep adding content ~forever~ which just creates a different feel to the game.

Impermanent posted:

no its not. there was additional content through its pipeline but its not anything near a destiny or something.

It had an expansion, £400 worth of DLC and three years of content updates, including seasonal events. You can have a Game as a Service game with plenty of content at launch.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Is there non-cosmetic DLC apart from Iceborne?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Triarii posted:

Every single patch came with new cosmetic DLC included though.

Cardiovorax posted:

The events are also distinctly optional and it would be entirely possible to play the game completely offline and get a full experience out of it, so it's a bit different to start with.

That's not true at all either. The best gear in the game comes from raid fights that you have to do with groups. Raids that are part of the plot and introduced with cutscenes and everything. And those raids are on a rotating timer too so you have to get on to catch them.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lordfrikk posted:

Is there non-cosmetic DLC apart from Iceborne?

no

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Det_no posted:

That's not true at all either. The best gear in the game comes from raid fights that you have to do with groups. Raids that are part of the plot and introduced with cutscenes and everything. And those raids are on a rotating timer too so you have to get on to catch them.
It is absolutely true. I played through the entirety of the plot content and a decent portion of the postgame without using the multiplayer functionality even once. I can't say I feel I missed much.

Admittedly, this is something that can be argued about, but if you're not the type of person who plans to invest 500+ hours into this game, then Monster Hunter World was essentially content-complete and fully playable as-is right from the start. It might not give you access to the best gear, but the best gear is way more effort than it's worth to begin with.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I don't really think timed quests and cosmetic dlc make a game GaaS, at least not in the predatory way they are typically thought of. Iceborne is just G rank missions, something you used to get an expansion for or a re-release in other mh games. The event stuff is as close as this gets to modern mmoish GaaS stuff. Even so, you're not being strung along with a subscription service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Time-limited events and cosmetics are usually just as awful and predatory as anything else, actually.

(I have no skin in the game re: MHW, but I loving hate the common stance of "well sure it has $3000 worth of cosmetic DLC but it's not P2W, therefore there's nothing wrong".)