Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
I'm an Ausgoon and Halloween isn't as big here as it is in the northern hemisphere. Shops barely have any decorations, trick or treating is really only a few streets per suburb, and the day could easily come and go without you noticing!

This year I'm in lockdown and looking to embrace all things :ghost:~*spooky*~:ghost: I've bought some lil pumpkin decorations, but what else is there to do?

What (lockdown safe) suggestions do you have so that I can celebrate Halloween in an authentically spooky way with you guys :witch:

Tell me what you do for Halloween!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss

Peel a bowl of grapes then stick your hand in and pretend it's eyeballs

Escape From Noise

Download all of the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episodes up until Treehouse of Horror X. Watch them all.

Prof. Crocodile

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Download all of the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episodes up until Treehouse of Horror X. Watch them all.

Musluk

Vanisheerrrrrr!!!

Prof. Crocodile

if you are under 13 years of age you can wear storebought costumes of fictional characters and go through your neighborhood asking people for candy

if you are 13-18 you can gather with friends in discreet places and smoke weed and drink cheap wine.

if you are 19-32 you can go to grown up parties people wear 'clever' costumes

if you are 32-70 you can enjoy the halloween season with your kids/grandkids under age 13

if you are 70+ you can lurk in a spooky house with your secret deformed serial killer child and torment any children foolish enough to break into your spooky house on a dare

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Here are some pics of my local grocery store, gearing up for Halloween:

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Macnult

you can wear your kinky outfits in public and the only people who get upset about it are old folks and bitter singles

Chewbecca

I doubt trick or treating will be allowed cos of rona :negative:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Escape From Noise

Chewbecca posted:

You could also go to the store on Halloween when it's on sale and eat it while watching Simpsons Treehouse of Horror. This way you also get all of the good candy and don't have to deal with bs like Smarties (the American kind).

Chewbecca

You could also go to the store on Halloween when it's on sale and eat it while watching Simpsons Treehouse of Horror. This way you also get all of the good candy and don't have to deal with bs like Smarties (the American kind).

What candies or desserts are considered very halloween? We've got bad dollar store chocolates which are wrapped in eyeball tinfoil which I refuse to eat

I like The Simpsons suggestion, that's ace!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Escape From Noise

Tiny versions of candy bars, weird wax lips (bad), Smarties (American kind), tiny packets of Sweet Tarts, mini Nerds, etc

Macnult

Chewbecca posted:

spooky hazmat suit is going to be a bestseller this year

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Robot Made of Meat

deep dish peat moss posted:

Peel a bowl of grapes then stick your hand in and pretend it's eyeballs

At first, I read this as, "Pee in a bowl of grapes. . . "

This is NOT the sort of thing I recall doing when I was young.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Robot Made of Meat

American Smarties are wonderful!

(But then, I hate most candy, so my opinion might differ from most)

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

FPzero

Game Over
Return of Mido

Go to a farmer's market and buy a bunch of weird and wonderful gourds to complement your pumpkins! there's ones that look like green swans, ones that look like they're covered in peanut shells, gigantic butternut squash looking pals and more! though I admit i don't know if there's a big weird gourd market in Australia so your mileage may vary. but up here in the US, in Virginia, we've got a bunch of weird stuff!

sig by Heather Papps!

Chewbecca

FPzero posted:

Go to a farmer's market and buy a bunch of weird and wonderful gourds to complement your pumpkins! there's ones that look like green swans, ones that look like they're covered in peanut shells, gigantic butternut squash looking pals and more! though I admit i don't know if there's a big weird gourd market in Australia so your mileage may vary. but up here in the US, in Virginia, we've got a bunch of weird stuff!

I'm fairly certain that there's no such thing in Australia. I've certainly not seen it if it dies exist :hotpickle:

FluffieDuckie

Years past I watched the simpsons and tried to eat the Reece’s pb cups real fast bc when they were gone I could turn off the porch light.

This year I get to cut the the middle man out and just turn off the porch light at dusk and eat my candy uninterrupted

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Chewbecca

FluffieDuckie posted:

Years past I watched the simpsons and tried to eat the Reece’s pb cups real fast bc when they were gone I could turn off the porch light.

This year I get to cut the the middle man out and just turn off the porch light at dusk and eat my candy uninterrupted

Oooh I'll have to see if I can get peanut butter cups cos they sound badass

Chewbecca

I haven't seen them in the shops but here's hoping!

FluffieDuckie

Can you access a pumpkin? You’re going to need a pumpkin

Chewbecca

I can buy a pumpkin from the grocery store but carving a pumpkin seems dangerous and hard lol

I'm going to try though!

FluffieDuckie

ok do something like this.

or if that's too scary you can make a (not fully sexual) snail

or you can go simple if your baseball team is playing in the world series on halloween night and just use their logo

Escape From Noise

FluffieDuckie posted:

Str8 baller.

If you can't access a pumpkin a turnip is more traditional for a jack o lantern and looks creepy AF. You can also decorate butter cookies or cupcakes to look like jack o lanterns.

The Evil Dead series is also great Halloween viewing

FPzero

Game Over
Return of Mido

I live on a dead end street at the far end of my neighborhood, which means no one comes over my way aside from like, the few kids on the street. So after they come and go, I'm generally left with tons of candy all for myself. a couple years ago when I was in an apartment, there was no trick or treating, so i just bought a bag of candy for myself--after halloween was over so i got discounts on them!

sig by Heather Papps!

FluffieDuckie

What we’re saying is it’s a really candy forward holiday

Chewbecca

FluffieDuckie posted:

What we’re saying is it’s a really candy forward holiday

Does the term candy include chocolate? In Australia we call 'em lollies and I like chocolate better than lollies

Or is 'candy' more generic than that?

more falafel please

forums poster

Chewbecca posted:

Does the term candy include chocolate? In Australia we call 'em lollies and I like chocolate better than lollies

Or is 'candy' more generic than that?

yeah Halloween candy is inclusive of chocolate (usually like little bite sized snickers/Milky Way/Hershey/etc bars, or m&ms) and various hard candies, gummies, etc

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

FluffieDuckie

Here’s a definitive listing of all the kinds of candy one kid got for Halloween with quantity and rankings.

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2018/11/01/best-halloween-candy-worst/

City of Glompton

make sugar cookie bats and frost them black, appreciate the results of eating black frosting

get a lot of mini candy and sort it. fight with people about which is best, and make trades with dummies who think snickers is better than milky way

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

alnilam

Halloween is the best holiday ever and probably the very best thing about my otherwise very culturally effed up country (US)

Like think about it, it's a holiday where it's suddenly totally normal, family friendly even, to have a display of skeletons and blood and murders in your front yard. It's considered completely wholesome to do so.

ty manifisto

alnilam

i know if you are from outside the us you probably think of us as a land of mass shootings and stuff and you're not wrong to do so, but please try to separate that from your thoughts of halloween and its cultural place here. I honestly don't see the fake murders we joyfully put on our front porches once a year as being related to that. I'm not being sarcastic. I wouldn't blame you for thinking oh those americans do a lot of mass murder irl so they also love fake halloween murder but it's very different things i think.

City of Glompton

alnilam posted:

i know if you are from outside the us you probably think of us as a land of mass shootings and stuff and you're not wrong to do so, but please try to separate that from your thoughts of halloween and its cultural place here. I honestly don't see the fake murders we joyfully put on our front porches once a year as being related to that. I'm not being sarcastic. I wouldn't blame you for thinking oh those americans do a lot of mass murder irl so they also love fake halloween murder but it's very different things i think.

:hai:

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

alnilam

I have tried to explain halloween to people from other countries many times and it's not easy at all I'm sorry. I'm also drunk

ty manifisto

Chewbecca

Witches and magic kicks rear end honestly

The Voice of Labor

doesn't the southern hemisphere have spring when the rest of the world has fall and vice versa?

like, your easter should probably pretty much be halloween

Chewbecca

The Voice of Labor posted:

doesn't the southern hemisphere have spring when the rest of the world has fall and vice versa?

like, your easter should probably pretty much be halloween

But I wanna celebrate with you guys :smith:

The Voice of Labor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cpJVQkClBU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Chewbecca posted:

But I wanna celebrate with you guys :smith:

get a bag of cheap, lovely american Halloween candies on eBay if necessary. unnamed chewy peanut butter cubes wrapped in orange or black wax paper is what you're looking 4. There's probably some candy corn and tootsie rolls in there 4 good measure. All in all it sucks poo poo but hey that's Halloween

... Unless u receive a green popcorn ball after the hayride. That's the jackpot

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot