Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RealFoxy posted:

"Different ways to tackle the castle"

Finding keys, or having Chris punch through the doors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If it's the freedom to tackle three different key parts in any order you choose then I'll be satisfied with it. I don't expect Resident Evil games to be great and unguided open-world experiences and I think anyone who does is being a bit unrealistic.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Literally none of that matters. The only real change the remakes did was changing the controls but in the end the feeling was exactly the same so unless you are married to the idea of tank controls it doesn’t really matter

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Weren't you just saying that it does matter? Because otherwise, it shouldn't have affected the RE3 remake so negatively.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Doomykins posted:

RE7 expands on it in a more grounded way as RE6 is rather out there in almost all aspects, to say the least.

I will always be baffled that they decided the plot to RE6, their big crossover game, would be that a creepy politician makes one of his evil scientists a copy of Ada Wong because he's horny and so the evil scientist is so insane with rage over it she decides to murder the world.

That's it, that's their big crossover game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Raxivace posted:

Is Silent Hill Homecoming any good? It's on sale through Humble Bundle for ten bucks.

I loved it but most people disagree with me. I'd say it's easily worth 10 bucks though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mulva posted:

I will always be baffled that they decided the plot to RE6, their big crossover game, would be that a creepy politician makes one of his evil scientists a copy of Ada Wong because he's horny and so the evil scientist is so insane with rage over it she decides to murder the world.

:lol: I was thinking earlier that I remember literally nothing about 6's plot, that's far better than anything I was trying to dredge up from my mind

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Mulva posted:

Also, for some reason a lot of guys are willing to help her do it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Degeneration was better than it had any right to be because of those two so I can give this a chance.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Raxivace posted:

Is Silent Hill Homecoming any good? It's on sale through Humble Bundle for ten bucks.

Watch the shesellsseashells LP instead, IMO. Best LP ever.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Anonymous Robot posted:

I would definitely appreciate seeing some CYOA/branching paths return to future RE games. More stuff like the split path in the village portion of RE4.

It’s not a great value proposition for the developer, as they’re creating content most of their audience would never see, but it makes for a richer play experience in the way that it adds personal investment and weight to what happens to the character. And as someone who plays most of the games multiple times, I’d appreciate it.

I completed the RE3 remake the other day and kind of appreciated it being short enough to just replay at will. I will say that I kind of appreciate the branching stuff being gone, because with it goes the anxiety about missing some arcane poo poo five areas back and now everyone will die.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Discendo Vox posted:

Watch the shesellsseashells LP instead, IMO. Best LP ever.
He and Voidburger are the best ways to consume most horror games, Shells is the reason I ever signed up for an account

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I was going to give CharlestheHammer a new avatar with Jill and Nemesis and the subtitle "The Fault in our S.T.A.R.S.". But that wouldn't stop embalming-fluid spewing from his mouth and I don't want to give Lowtax money. Block.

It's a shame that pretty much every active side-character in RE vanishes into the ether, because I wouldn't mind seeing Carlos' fabulous hair again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cardiovorax posted:

Weren't you just saying that it does matter? Because otherwise, it shouldn't have affected the RE3 remake so negatively.

Huh? No the game brought it flaws to the next gen. In the original game it’s messy and Nemesis is a neat concept that is kind of underutilized. In the remake it’s messy and Nemesis is also underutilized.

All three remakes are functionally the exact same in accuracy. 1 and 2 add a little bit to the story but since the argument is one is an accurate remake that obviously doesn’t matter

If being faithful to the original is all you care about, it doesn’t get much better than the remakes

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 27, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
There wasn't much different you could've done with Nemesis or Mr X. In ReM2, he would stomp around the police station but he couldn't go in save rooms and in ReM3, having Nemesis come at you constantly would've been miserable because it's such a linear path through most of the game with the exception of the plaza wear the cafe is that loops around.

IMO the only reason ReM3 didn't hold up is because it WAS too linear, you only really had one route to go and you could pick up pretty much every item without backtracking because you'd be back in that same area eventually anyway. On top of that there really was little reason to keep playing over and over because the rewards you unlocked were just more weapons. It didn't get old in ReM2 because you could keep improving your routes and Claire/Leon were slightly different stories

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I wgree which is why I think the fact they were so faithful hurt that game.

Which is why I’m surprised people are complaining they weren’t faithful enough.

Out of all the rebuilds that have released over the years, the remakes might be up there at the top for faithfulness

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Beat Madhouse mode in RE7, you guys were right, it wasn't that bad. I died a bunch, sure, but it really encouraged you to use everything the game gives you - in my initial playthrough on easy I very rarely blocked, and never used the separating agent to get chem fluid. That attic fight with Mia though....good god. And now I have to do it again since I didn't notice there's an achievement for getting all the coins in a single Madhouse run (especially infuriating since I ended with 29/33, but forgot to get the Sewer Gators one in the very beginning so I can't just grab an old save. :(

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

I missed this post until right now. Hyped af. Canon baby! Still need to watch the last movir but glad we're getting a canon series instead of just the other one.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Huh? No the game brought it flaws to the next gen. In the original game it’s messy and Nemesis is a neat concept that is kind of underutilized. In the remake it’s messy and Nemesis is also underutilized.

All three remakes are functionally the exact same in accuracy. 1 and 2 add a little bit to the story but since the argument is one is an accurate remake that obviously doesn’t matter

If being faithful to the original is all you care about, it doesn’t get much better than the remakes
Well, alright then. It's just kind of a strange statement to me since they're very obviously and noticeably different in a lot of ways, from gameplay to design to overall game structure. Like, I would say they get most of the salient points right, especialle RE2make, but I would in no way call RE3make faithful to the original. Whether it's an improvement on the original is a completely different question, of course.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, alright then. It's just kind of a strange statement to me since they're very obviously and noticeably different in a lot of ways, from gameplay to design to overall game structure. Like, I would say they get most of the salient points right, especialle RE2make, but I would in no way call RE3make faithful to the original. Whether it's an improvement on the original is a completely different question, of course.

I guess we will just have to disagree then, as I see no real differences in how they play and that is kind of Remake 3s biggest issue

Sometimes being to faithful can be a bad thing

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No argument there. Slavish imitation of a bad thing is never going to give you anything except a new and differently bad take on that thing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I liked RE3 and the remake but it's biggest problem is simply the lack of an addiction factor. I enjoyed feeling more powerful and having environmental things to use in 3 but it just doesn't call to you to replay it the way 2 did. When 2 came out, I couldn't wait to get home from work and fire that bitch up. When I completed a run, I couldn't wait to immediately start a new one. With 3, I think I played it twice and then never really got back to it.

All RE3make had to do was create a few alternate routes, add some crossover with Jill and Carlos in terms of items and weapons, maybe randomize some item placement and have it jam you up a little with a maze like structure to block progress in ways that made you plan. It's been said to death but it really IS too linear and all it offers for replays are items and weapons that just speed up the EXACT SAME run. There's no real thought given to how you can change up your strategy on a replay in terms of what to do first, carry/drop or what to avoid to save ammo since ammo is everywhere.

The shop is interesting and I had fun loving poo poo up on run #2 but after that, the only thing baiting you to play again is just more poo poo from the store. You're still looking at basically the same path minus the areas that need the bolt cutters and lockpick.

Conversely, with RE2 I did two complete A/B, B/A runs with each character (so that's 8 runs, not counting the DLC) and really felt like I was learning more every time I played.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I wgree which is why I think the fact they were so faithful hurt that game.

Which is why I’m surprised people are complaining they weren’t faithful enough.

Out of all the rebuilds that have released over the years, the remakes might be up there at the top for faithfulness

Damning with faint praise. The clear aspirational point is doing the same as REmake, which is something functionally identical basically with graphic and QoL updates and a handful of new surprises, mechanica, and game modes.

Compared to REmake, the idea they're faithful is just totally out the window. Or, if the scales are so skewed as to what faithful means because of other game remakes (I don't know which you mean though), then replace the terms with whatever best expresses "do the exact same thing for 2&3 that you did for 1"

When I want to play resident evil now, I'll always just play the REmake because thats the definitive ultimate edition offering of all plus some. But if I'm itching for Re2/3 it'll take the originals still because there's far too much there missing rather than extra added. The new games are only the same when it comes to big structural beats. The meat is from a completely different beast.

That said, both nu-makes are still very fun and all that, and there's a place for them, especially over a void where nothing exists, but they just aren't the obvious PLEASEMAKETHIS we've craved for over a decade now after seeing what they did for Re1.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

That said, both nu-makes are still very fun and all that, and there's a place for them, especially over a void where nothing exists, but they just aren't the obvious PLEASEMAKETHIS we've craved for over a decade now after seeing what they did for Re1.

Who is this "we"

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Good soup! posted:

Who is this "we"

The usual varied assortment of people who've expressed the same sentiments over the years. I'd estimate the numbers range from more than myself to less than everyone. Roughly.

We don't have a newsletter or a clubhouse if thats what youre asking. But you can pay membership dues to me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I wouldn't mind seeing a new Resident Evil game in the classic style, personally. Maybe it's nostalgia goggles, but there was just something special about it that the other Remakes don't quite capture, as much as I love RE2make dearly and think it is the best game of the year.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm glad they went the way they did with the remakes because I'd have zero interest in one that stick to the original structure a la RE1, but it'd be pretty wild (in a good way) if they somehow had branching franchise directions that allowed for both. In a world with infinite developer time and money, I guess.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tbh I could lived without the Lisa Trevor stuff in REmake.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I completely admit that it's a niche interest and that it's a good thing they went with the structure that they did. RE2make wouldn't have been a fraction as successful as it was if they hadn't.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Cardiovorax posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing a new Resident Evil game in the classic style, personally. Maybe it's nostalgia goggles, but there was just something special about it that the other Remakes don't quite capture, as much as I love RE2make dearly and think it is the best game of the year.

I just played through 7 and it really gave me the nostalgia vibes from the first two. I was turned off it for a while because of the first person but yeah, I started it a month or so ago and am on my fifth play through trying to get the Platinum trophy for it (goddam coins, should have looked for them in my original Madhouse run)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's definitely closer to it than any of the three games that came before it! That played a large part in why I liked RE7 so much. It has great atmosphere and sense of place.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Damning with faint praise. The clear aspirational point is doing the same as REmake, which is something functionally identical basically with graphic and QoL updates and a handful of new surprises, mechanica, and game modes.

Compared to REmake, the idea they're faithful is just totally out the window. Or, if the scales are so skewed as to what faithful means because of other game remakes (I don't know which you mean though), then replace the terms with whatever best expresses "do the exact same thing for 2&3 that you did for 1"

When I want to play resident evil now, I'll always just play the REmake because thats the definitive ultimate edition offering of all plus some. But if I'm itching for Re2/3 it'll take the originals still because there's far too much there missing rather than extra added. The new games are only the same when it comes to big structural beats. The meat is from a completely different beast.

Remake 2 is exactly as faithful as remake 1.

To say they are somehow different is frankly silly.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think you might need to explain to us what you mean when you say "faithful," because they're very clearly and very visibly different games that diverge from each other quite substantially.

I mean, I think RE2make is a really great game that captures the things that were best about Resident Evil 2, but I'm just not really sure what you're trying to get at here.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

If I've learned anything about the revival of MetroidVania games like Bloodstained and Hollow Knight, it's that a third party indie dev is going to do a much better game in the spirit of the original Resident Evil than Capcom will ever manage to do. I just don't know how many people are clamoring for the return of tank controls

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The tank controls I am first to admit I can really do without.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Cardiovorax posted:

I think you might need to explain to us what you mean when you say "faithful," because they're very clearly and very visibly different games that diverge from each other quite substantially.

Would you please actually read CharlestheHammer's avatar text and stop feeding him?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
https://twitter.com/cvxfreak/status/1310237864194535424?s=19

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I just bought RE3 from digital sale and played a bit of the first proper area. The game looks really good and the controls are maybe even better than 2 thanks to the sweet dodge move.

Or maybe I'm just excited because I tried to play Left Alive on weekend on holy poo poo that made me depressed.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i mean, its all downhill after the first area...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Spencer Mansion bit of RE3 is kind of shorter, though oddly most of the slow-paced areas are at the back. I want an RE game that starts with you waking up in a Lab and ends in civilization, in reverse of the formula.

Big QTE chase, Downtown exploration, Nemesis Chase, Sewer Exploration, Nemesis Fight, Nemesis Chase, RPD Exploration, Nemesis Fight, Hospital Exploration, Hold the Line, NEST 2, Final Nemesis Fights

If anything RE3 is too faithful to the linearity and brevity of the original.

I haven't played anything of the RE5-RE6 era. What's the kindest thing to say about those two?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 28, 2020