Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
People tend to highlight negativity far more than positivity when it comes to this sort of thing. Let's not, here. What have you owned that was of such high quality, so useful, so helpful, so noteworthy that it sticks in your memory and why should we also have it?

I'm only going to submit this for now. This Kryptonite "Fahgettaboudit" lock has been with me almost every day for about 15 years now. It has been through thousands of miles of riding and hundreds of days of sitting through sun and rain outdoors but still works flawlessly even though it looks like it has been dragged through hell. It's an absolute tank and I don't know how you could ever kill it. I mean LockpickingLawyer tried to bust this thing with a hydraulic cutter and the cutter actually exploded without the lock shackle taking a dent.

Hats off to this sort of ridiculously overbuilt product that just works and works and works forever. What else ya got?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Squatty Potty. Highly recommended!

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
I bought this drink called alcohol, and whenever I drink it, life becomes far more manageable. I highly recommend.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Star Me Kitten posted:

I bought this drink called alcohol, and whenever I drink it, life becomes far more manageable. I highly recommend.

Is that made by the same company as Marijuana™

Only Slightly Bent
Jul 6, 2013
Pretty happy with the cheap kabar kukri I bought seven years ago.

Dinged up the blade once chopping through hollow metal tubes, and a few times accidently hitting rocks hiding in the dirt, but I just have to sharpen / straighten it and it works good as new.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
I got this rice cooker back in march at the start of everyone quarantining.

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-ZCC10-Uncooked-Premium-1-0-Liter/dp/B00007J5U7

I didn't think I would really use a rice cooker that much but now I use it multiple times a week. So many meals involve rice!

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I have an actual Canon PowerShot SD880IS digital camera that was first released in 2012 and I still use it on a regular basis, the colour accuracy and macro photo modes are better than what my phone camera gives me.

Riscas
Feb 11, 2008
Knipex channel locks are without a doubt my most used tool. They’re just so loving good and I’ve never had a pair break or get sloppy on me.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I'm trying to think of something that isn't a super dorky tool for dork poo poo.

edit: oh well I love my soldering iron it wasn't super expensive and it works every day for years without complaints, never needs any new soldering tips or nothin' and does what a soldering iron is supposed to do: get hot, quickly and stay that way.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 27, 2020

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I bought a 0.3mm ballpoint pen about six years ago and have been using it daily ever since. Such wonderful, narrow lines. I also have a fourteen-year-old mechanical pencil that I love dearly, but it doesn't get nearly as much use now that I have that pen.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought a Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener and use it a few times a month and it's been a lifechanger. It's really nice having sharp kitchen knives, but you can also use it to sharpen mundane things like kitchen shears or scissors. Don't use those pull-through sharpeners they gently caress everything up.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Iron Ranger boots by Red Wing
1000 Mile Boots by Wolverine

I'm really rough on shoes but i started alternating between 3 pairs of these like 3 years ago now and they look as good as the day I got them. Hell, even better for the Iron Rangers. Good boots, especially if you can get seconds for like $200-250.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

This baby right here

The Dynatrap XL is how you orchestrate a mosquito apocalypse. Real wrath of god poo poo. Normally I wouldn't use a trap for pest control because they can kill friendly bugs and instead use ovitraps that specifically target mosquitoes, but they're so out of control here I have to use both. It gives off CO2 to mimic human breath, and then sucks them up with a little fan. It collects enough mosquitoes to like, accumulate significant biomass. That chamber at the bottom is quite large (about a foot in diameter) and I empty it every 2-3 days. Just full of mosquitoes.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
My Surface Pro 3. Used it every day in the classroom for 4 years. The kickstand hinge is a little loose, but other than that, it has been a champ. Still boots super fast and isn't showing it's age yet (capability wise).

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Tom Gorman posted:

This baby right here

The Dynatrap XL is how you orchestrate a mosquito apocalypse. Real wrath of god poo poo. Normally I wouldn't use a trap for pest control because they can kill friendly bugs and instead use ovitraps that specifically target mosquitoes, but they're so out of control here I have to use both. It gives off CO2 to mimic human breath, and then sucks them up with a little fan. It collects enough mosquitoes to like, accumulate significant biomass. That chamber at the bottom is quite large (about a foot in diameter) and I empty it every 2-3 days. Just full of mosquitoes.

I would have just tossed endless money at such a product when I lived in the upper Midwest where people joked that the actual state birds were mosquitos. There aren't even any out here in the Pacific Northwest but I still have PTSD kneejerk karate chop reactions if I even think I hear the "eeeeeeeeeeeee" sound of one of them near me.

My 2nd submission: a Lodge cast iron skillet. Buy 1. You will never need to buy another one. That is a thing that'll last longer than you, your children, and grandchildren. And now your sausage and eggs are spectacular.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

bought an ice cube machine early in the summer and it was a lifesaver. removing the ice bottleneck when having cold drinks and cocktails was a genuine quality of life upgrade. recommended for any heavy drinker (i know you're out there in 2020, folks)

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

A bidet has been working wonders. I can easily tell if I still have some peanut butter left on the spoon when I walk around after using a bathroom away from my house (and bidet).

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
I accidentally (while drunk) bought a gigantic switchblade to use as a box knife at work, and now everyone everywhere leaves me the gently caress alone, so yeah.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
pilot metropolitan:

iroshizuku ink:

i got the cm nib, very smooth. finding out different ways to write is fun, and i’ve been experimenting with different ink mixes

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I'm trying to think of something that isn't a super dorky tool for dork poo poo.

edit: oh well I love my soldering iron it wasn't super expensive and it works every day for years without complaints, never needs any new soldering tips or nothin' and does what a soldering iron is supposed to do: get hot, quickly and stay that way.

Just ordered this, thanks.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Recently replaced an OG MS Intellimouse Explorer because I wanted more buttons, it still works perfectly and was my daily driver for almost 20 years.

Going to keep it in case my new one breaks just like the Logitech G5 I tried to replace it with years ago did.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I don't know about "valuable," but I have a 1987 Zenith VCR that still works, and a 1985 JVC rack stereo system & speakers that still work great (except the tape deck which died long ago). And my 2005 Panasonic plasma TV has like 40,000 service hours and still works well enough that I can't make myself replace it. Probably not coincidentally, all these products were made in Japan.

Honorable Mention: I have/had a Pioneer CD changer from 1986, which worked until about 2015. Also made in Japan.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I have one of these and it is an awesome iron. I was amazed at the quality for the price.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

nakieon posted:

A bidet has been working wonders. I can easily tell if I still have some peanut butter left on the spoon when I walk around after using a bathroom away from my house (and bidet).

That's a disgusting metaphor lmao

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Star Me Kitten posted:

yeah but it doesnt. it just delays. and someday poo poo catches up and you spiral so loving hard.

god i wanna die

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
my logitech keyboard

I type at a loving absurd WPM and my logitech is the only keyboard that doesn't poo poo out on me like every 6 months from rear end-poundingly hard use

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Pawn 17 posted:

Squatty Potty. Highly recommended!

You can use any stool for this and it works just as good. Getting the official Squatty Potty is just conspicuous consumption

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I personally still use a ts-100 iron, and most of my projects are on a weird kind of new job + corona malaise based hold, but I did buy a Panavise 324 Electronic Work Center a couple months back and it is totally worth the money.

No more trying to prop poo poo up at weird angles, just put it at the weird angle and leave it there.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I sometimes absolutely cannot believe that the random Gateway gaming laptop I bought on final markdown at Best Buy in 2008 lasted through a decade of daily use with only a missing shift key to show for it. It could even still play recent games until like 2014 (not that 2014 is that recent, just still astounding for a 2008 laptop).

And the only other thing that comes to mind is my Logitech MX518 mouse I bought new in 2005 to replace my Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer that gave out on me surprisingly quickly in the grand scheme of things (after only six years!). It is still in daily use today, on the laptop I reluctantly picked up in 2018 upon realizing my Gateway might actually be reaching the end of its usefulness.

I really wish I valued the purchase of anything not directly related to daily use of a computer

I suppose I do not have enough good things to say about this particular Japanese canned coffee as it finally fulfilled my adulthood-long dream of just drinking cream that kind of tastes like coffee. What do you mean, I could just pour a little coffee in cream at home if I wanted this? This is Japanese cream, almost as good as Goldbelly cookies

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
My Audio Pro T3 portable bluetooth wireless speaker is the absolute tits. They should be paying me, or at least giving me free stuff, because I know of at least forty people who’ve bought one after listening to mine at work.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
battery charger and a bunch of eneloop AA batteries (and some AAA). one kind of battery for my mouse, game controllers, shaver, etc
speaking of, the logitech marathon mouse isnt kidding about batteries lasting forever in it

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt
Not super fancy or anything but this kettle is really nice... once it gets up to heat it holds the water just under 100 degrees for up to four hours, so you can always have hot water ready instead of waiting for it boil. Practically no steam loss.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i got some victoronix knives for the kitchen. they're really sharp, hold an edge well, relatively cheap, and while they look a bit goofy with the plastic handles they're really fuckin' maneuverable

you can spend more and get fancier looking ones i guess. they're also very good for knife crime

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

Mu Zeta posted:

I bought a Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener and use it a few times a month and it's been a lifechanger. It's really nice having sharp kitchen knives, but you can also use it to sharpen mundane things like kitchen shears or scissors. Don't use those pull-through sharpeners they gently caress everything up.

e: turns out I have a list

That is a drat nice sharpener, and something that speaks to me at a cellular level. I didn't go with that sort of design because I count myself as a dum-dum who can't keep the angle correct and having a sharp knife on a daily basis is important to me.
The one I finally decided on, which I've been using the past couple of years:
https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri...210648&sr=8-103

Does an amazing job, very little thought or expertise required. I've found that it's cheaper to replace the whole thing when the stones wear out, so hopefully Santa will bring me a new one this year.

The recipient of said ministrations:
https://zt.kaiusa.com/0470.html

Pricey, but the best drat pocket knife I've had so far in this mortal coil. Very hard steel, excellent action, fits the hand well, etc ..

To transport the aforementioned:
https://www.amazon.com/Skechers-Sof...bap_d_rp_1_12_t

I work retail, so the shoes, and comfort/support thereof, is very important on a daily basis. Been wearing this line for the past two years (they last a year or longer with my use) and the comfort level has not decreased in that time whatsoever. I was previously a Rockport sort of guy, but something occurred with their manufacturing or they just decided they hated people so ..

I have a car. A nice car. Perhaps you do too?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRJOTIA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

The reviews do not lie. This eldritch substance will raise the reflectivity of your vehicle a bazillionfold.

Said nice car:

My daily drive and quite possibly the most fun vehicle I have ever experienced. Comfortable, powerful, upgraded sound system. "reasonable" gas mileage, it hits a lot of check boxes for me.
Have not yet been the subject of a YouTube video, so there's that.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Tojiro DP series Gyuto is far and above the best "bang for your buck" chefs knife ive ever used. At $70-$80USD they are a great intro to Japanese chefs knives and they last for years. Perfect combo of sharpness/durability for working chefs.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

george foreman contact grill. Cost me 14 euro because of a deal and we use it daily to roast some bread rolls, or making cheese melts or cooking veggies or whatever. Very cool.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
This album I didnt even know or care about owning that I purchased 20+ years ago for maybe $7 and just sold for $85

Fantastic product!

Also a good Microplane grater.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
CCK small stainless cleaver . I use it every day. Sharpens easily, holds an edge surprisingly well, and it flies through veggies and butchered meat. I was skeptical about it (and Chinese cleaners generally) and now I'm fully convinced.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Awesome!

inkmoth posted:

I personally still use a ts-100 iron, and most of my projects are on a weird kind of new job + corona malaise based hold, but I did buy a Panavise 324 Electronic Work Center a couple months back and it is totally worth the money.

No more trying to prop poo poo up at weird angles, just put it at the weird angle and leave it there.

Very pro. Ordered!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
I bought a laundry hamper from Target for my dorm room in 2007, and my wife finally made me throw it away only this year. So probably that.