Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Crosspeice posted:

Alright, eighth team member time, exciting! What do you call a strange golem child?

Aren't they called Geodude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Chucky for murder golems

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I don't know, Alphonse?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Level Seven posted:

Yeah, Geodude makes sense

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Level Seven posted:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

emptyquote

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

It’s showtime. Also voting for Big O.

Guthix Curnir
Mar 21, 2011
Why not combine the two?

Big Geo

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Yes.
The first free golem and a great guardsman.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

AweStriker posted:

It’s showtime. Also voting for Big O.

Big Geo is really good but I'm voting for this one on general principle.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Objectively the best name, definitely not biased

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Votes so far!

Big O: 4
Dorfl: 3
Geodude: 3
Big Geo: 1
Alphonse: 1
Chucky: 1
Superman: 1
Gigantor: 1
Giz-ho: 1
Ironhide: 1
Morr: 1

What the gently caress are any of you talking about?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

You brought this on yourself, really.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Just making sure Big O wins here.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Big O, it's showtime!

Malah
May 18, 2015

Jade Rider posted:

Big O, it's showtime!

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Jade Rider posted:

Big O, it's showtime!

You're a louse, Roger Crosspiece.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Just making sure Big O wins here.

:emptyquote:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Voting is closed! Big O it is, hell yeah anime robot references.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 17: Spiralling Down

Icirrus City. Clap clap.

Yo look at that the seasons actually affect gameplay. Indeed, Icirrus City is one of TWO cities that change depending on the seasons. Wow, what a great mechanic.

"They migrate according to the seasons. People can tell the season by looking at Sawsbuck's horns."

lol nice. We'll immediately start with some new Pokemon above the Gym, we can catch some of them in the outside area of Dragonspiral Tower but now is fine. In any case, since you can only get here during Winter, of course we can only find the Winter form of Sawsbuck. It's pretty alright and will change with you more visibly as you go through the game, gets Horn Leech shortly after evolving, has Return for the big hits and Jump Kick for coverage. It's got a bad defensive typing but they're still good to use, it'll even get Wild Charge before the postgame, but not much aside from that. It's, well, a deer, so not much to talk about tbh, but it works perfectly fine in-game.

Here's some more Pokemon, so let's try get the rarer one first.

"It can make its breath freeze at will. Very able in the water, it swims around in northern seas and catches prey."

Ah, a slow Ice type with a terrible frozen cold, a classic. Beartic does have a few points going for it, check that fur tuft for one, hell yeah, but it does learn Icicle Crash when it evolves, so that's your reward for slogging with Cubchoo for a bit. It also gets Superpower from the relearner and then has a whole host of TMs to keep up, Rock Slide, Shadow Claw, Brick Break, Aerial Ace, Surf, Grass Knot, Focus Blast, wait we're getting off track here. While it'll get outsped and hit for a lot of damage, it can at least do some damage back, and that makes it pretty okay. Hell, you can even predict that you'll nearly get OHKOed and use Rest to heal all the way back to full! Okay there's not much else, but it'll take some neutral hits and do you just fine, even if a Water or Fighting type would've done wonders for it.

"In fights, they dominate with onslaughts of flowing, continuous attacks. With their sharp claws, they cut enemies."

Ooh, a lategame Fighting type, maybe this is something we could- oh, never mind it evolves at the same level as SHELGON. This is a little much for something with these stats, since we're honestly not that far from the end of the game. It can keep itself competitive with Drain Punch and Jump Kick, as well as Acrobatics and Rock Slide, but in about 5 levels you're gonna see this mon fall short in all kinds of ways. Will the grind be worth it? Well, kinda, but GF kinda overestimated what level you might be at the end of the game and it kinda shows, even with a pretty good sized postgame. Still, you can use Lucky Egg and U-turn to at least keep it up in levels against opponents you know will flatten it with those godawful defensive stats. It's probably easier catching the evolution in the postgame, it'll be useful even then!

"Snowy mountains are this Pokémon's habitat. During an ancient ice age, they moved to southern areas."

Good to wait and get slightly easier to use evolutions. Now hey, Vanillish doesn't evolve until 47, and PRNDL won't reach its final form until level 49, so surely Eviolite Mienfoo should be fine, right? Well, yes, but it's also a basic stage and those tend to have lower stats even if it does evolve around the same time. It's a problem a lot of Pokemon have in the lategame and that's something that'll count against them when I talk about them.

Alright, let's see what the rest of town has to offer. And by that I mean one house.

This better be worth the wait!

But Team Rocket bye-bye a go-go. I my region went home. Make new Team Rocket, I did! So myself I pledged! But now I married am. Now for Team Rocket, there is no time by me. But happy family is big hooray!

Hey! I have a lot of souvenirs that my sweetie's old coworker gave me. I don't mind giving you one.

I heard that the RageCandyBar is the favorite of my sweetie's old coworker.

Well this is nice, but I don't wanna think about how this messes with the timeline. So I don't think this guy would've gotten immediately married, so let's be generous and say 2 years since he left Kanto. Now he has a goddamn kid, who's of the School Kid class, so we'll be generous and again say he's like 7, assuming they had the kid AFTER they got married, in which case add another 9 months. So it's been 10 years since the last games, give or take. Will this end up mattering? NOPE! Of course, we can go deeper, he did marry but she already had a son, and being the standup guy he is, he took him in as his own, so as far as the kid is concerned, that is his dad. That greatly shortens the time between games and that's what I'll stick with.

Twist Mountain

It's not just the town that's different, Twist Mountain has a different appearance in Winter. Like this cone. Neat.

The inside is filled with snow so it's a lot easier to traverse, making it relatively open ended, which is why I wanted to do it otherwise to make it easier to follow.

And of course plenty of little areas we can now reach since sliding down a sloped surface is a bit too extreme for these games.

"When its body temperature goes up, it turns into steam and vanishes. When its temperature lowers, it returns to ice."

And of course angery snowflakes are, along with Cubchoo, much easier to find in Winter. Cryogonal is very interesting due to its stat spread, making it a speedy Spdef tank like Virizion, that also cannot take a physical hit. Bit of an issue due to its typing, but thankfully it can hit back kinda hard. Up against neutral special hits, it does really well, but then it gets melted by Fire and shattered by Fighting, Steel, Rock, man Ice types are so bad... Still, it gets Ice Beam and screens pretty early so it makes it more survivable, as well as Flash Cannon and even Solarbeam later on. It struggles for coverage, but thankfully it can learn Night Slash and Acrobatics, even if it doesn't help it at all. It's not a great mon, but under the right circumstances it can do some work.

Secret tunnel!

Oh yeah, we're late enough in the game that Drilbur found here are pretty close to evolving, which makes them a great pickup. Sniff, they've come so far from Wellspring Cave.

This is the only Winter exclusive trainer so might as well get some last minute training.

Everyone's getting up to level 38. You know what that means.

Twist Mountain looks complicated, but basically, it's a single road. Keep cool and move forward! That is the trick to reach the goal.

"Since a broken tusk will not grow back, they diligently sharpen their tusks on river rocks after they've been fighting."

Wow what a great TM or whatever, Fraxure is much the same but a little more survivable to a pretty high evolution level, even if PRNDL will just beat her out. It'll learn Swords Dance just as it evolves so there's nothing interesting along the way and it learns all the interesting TMs when fully evolved, mainly stuff like Rock Slide and EQ, so while I really like its design, it's not too notable over Axew. We're on our way to the pain train, all aboard!

That's enough messing around, we've got yet another badge to get!

Pokemon Gym

Ice can be melted with Fire or shattered with Fighting. Or you might want to smash it into dust with Rock or Steel.

Little tricky to screenshot, but the curved wood sends us, well, curving and spinning into the blue stop pads.

"I will stand in your path!"

We've done some team switching again so no one is too far behind, but I've got plenty of Ice weak mons to bring to this Gym, gonna be a great time!

Being fired into the air by cannons and spinning on the ice many times... it's difficult to get Badges.

We'll hit the switch, spin to win, and on to another trainer. Thankfully these ice puzzles won't be complicated, no time for that.

Hey now I can't OHKO you!

Engage the switches and start from the defined position. If you try all the combinations, someday you'll find the right one!

I wish the Pokemon world had OSHA...

Hey now I can't OHKO you!

Being calm and having no emotion are different. Brycen rejoices quietly, and he grows quietly in rage...

"It's whether you will battle or not."

Endure that, suckah!

When you're not sure if you'll succeed, build momentum and take a leap! It's fine, because your Pokemon are always with you!

Wow, what a brainteaser!

You know what would help with icy floors?

HARD ROLLER DA!!! Okay well it's not exactly the same, and it's weaker than X-Scissor, but like with Mawuh and Octazooka, if there's a unique move, I gotta use it. Okay also Golem can learn it, but I don't know what that is, so it's okay.

Brycen slides on the frozen floor all the time, so it's worn down, and it looks like you can see the path... but maybe I'm imagining it.

Up and left, then down and left. We can only go left.

But hey this Gym isn't interesting anymore, so let's skip this trainer. Collision bugs are pretty rare but they're fun to point out.

Ah, but I can't skip this trainer, because then the curse kills me.

Aww, it's an adorable snotty bear. KILL IT!!!

I am from a fighting dojo in Kanto!! This is my global debut, so to speak!

A whip around, a nae-nae around, whatever that is, and we're at the leader.

Uh, right, okay. poo poo, did I save? I'm used to meeting the leader at least 5 times before fighting them...

Gym Leader Battle

Brycen: Ice Mask
From nice brice price, Brycen baby.
Hachiku: Ice mask
From 淡竹 hachiku, black bamboo, native to Hunan Province, China. Thanks, Bulbapedia.

Fighting Ice types is always weird, either we take super effective damage or we dish out super effective damage.

We don't have too much to fear, especially because Brycen's first two members aren't very threatening. A Steel type shuts down Vanillish completely and I was never worried about it to begin with.

And he has to go out to his ace because it has Brine, the only way his team touches Steel types. Of course it's pretty scary, but you'll usually outspeed and deal massive damage.

Ah drat, 3/5ths of my team are weak to Ice, whoops, let's just deal with this threat nice and easily, gives an evolved PRNDL a little more spotlight as well.

Hmm, that wasn't Frost Breath so it's pretty likely John can take a hit. How about we weaken it first and let her have another-

Oh. Well that works too.

"What a beautiful friendship!"

A weird fight, but hey, that's how it goes with Ice sometimes.

You have seven Badges. That means Pokemon up to Lv. 80 will obey you. This TM will convey my regard for your accomplishments.

No matter how many battles I fight I don't know what strength is. Perhaps you can find the answer.

Ah poo poo there's only one badge left. How did we go through the game so quickly? We need some major plot to detour us, but what are the chances of that?

Make sure to collect the Blubimbly Fruit along the slide to complete the level, if you miss one you have to restart from the last checkpoint!

Yeah.

Icirrus City. Clap clap.

Since we left Nuvema Town, has something about me... changed? Thinking about what I want to do... thinking about what I should do... it felt like there was nothing... have I really become stronger? Or is it just my Pokemon that have? I don't know anymore!

Hey, hey. Cheer up, Cheren... isn't it nice to see everyone?! Touya! Know what? This time, I'll go the Pokemon Fan Club. I'm really searching... for what I want to do and what I can do!

Who? Us? I'm Bianca, and this is Cheren...

I know you are there! Why don't you show yourselves?

... Impressive, Gym Leader of Icirrus City. We, the Shadow Triad, are beings of the shadows... and not easily noticed.

Our mission was to speak only with Touya, but so be it. Ghetsis has a message for you: come to Dragonspiral Tower.

It is there that our lord N waits for you. ...now, our mission is complete.

Dragonspiral Tower?! What's going on? Hey! Tell me...

Now, hang on. Young man, if you're here for a Gym challenge, hang on for a bit. I've got to head to Dragonspiral Tower!

I'm going too. Dragonspiral Tower is to the north of here, right?

F-for now, I have to go to Dragonspiral Tower... OK! I'm heading north!

Let's :clap: get :clap: that :clap: third :clap: date!

And you must be Bianca. I'm the other Professor Juniper. The Professor Juniper who gave you the Pokedex is my daughter.

Nice to meet you, professor! Thanks to Professor Juniper, I got to go on a journey and start figuring out possibilities in my life. I'm very, very grateful to her!

Is that right? Grand, grand. Actually, we should chat later. Touya, Bianca, here's the situation. Some members of Team Plasma--quite a large group--broke through the tower wall and went inside. Brycen and that young man--I believe his name is Cheren--the two of them went after Team Plasma, but...

Professor, what's the Dragonspiral Tower?

Ha! I guess you would be curious. Well, I'll explain briefly.

On the top floor, the legendary Dragon-type Pokemon waits for a person seeking truth to appear... that's what is said. Are you going to go after Team Plasma like your friend did? It's admirable of you to join the fight against Team Plasma, but it's risky, too.

Don't worry! Touya and Cheren are both really, really strong, and they've beaten Team Plasma before. But... I'm not that strong, actually. I admit it. I'm not very strong, so I was thinking... it would be nice if, maybe, I could... stay here and be your bodyguard?

... Why, thank you! That makes me feel much safer! Well, Touya! It's up to you! Climb the tower! This is all I can give you, but it might help you rest!

Still... what could Team Plasma be after?

Touya... please don't do anything crazy.

Dragonspiral Tower

I hope you're ready for lots of Plasma grunt fights, but there are a couple things to do before then.

There is the outside area to explore but there's something very important.

"It warms its body by absorbing sunlight with its wings. When its body temperature falls, it can no longer move."

Well here's one since we found it and it isn't in the grass outside during Winter. Druddigon is interesting because it's a relatively easy Dragon to use during the main story. It starts off pretty well with Dragon Claw, Chip Away and Revenge, so you can use its Atk pretty well, as well as Night Slash shortly after catching. It won't change much but it's pretty tanky and while it will take a hit due to its low Spd, it's definitely reliable. Like usual it learns an annoying amount of special moves, but Rock Slide, Shadow Claw, EQ and even Superpower later on in levels make it pretty varied. If you usually shy away from the stupidly strong Dragons then this is a good middleground and even if it's not that amazing, it's a type that really needs more of these.

Come to me, golem child, I will make you mine. It's time for team member number eight, we've nearly got everyone! Golett has some pretty cool things in its future, but starts pretty badly. It's not too long until it evolves, since it'll gain levels pretty quick on the team, but it definitely needs some help to get going. It'll start with Magnitude and Night Shade for STAB, as well as DynamicPunch, which is pretty dreadful, its entire moveset needs to be overhauled with Bulldoze and Brick Break, along with Shadow Punch from the relearner.

Now that might not be too impressive, but that's why you should get Iron Fist, not only does it make Shadow Punch into a reasonable attack, it'll boost Mega Punch and later Hammer Arm. Unfortunately that's about it, elemental punches are sequel tutors, so it can work there, but you only have a few to work with here. It's not a big deal if you get Klutz, Lucky Egg and Amulet Coin will work fine, but I was gonna try for an Iron Fist one to make it a little easier to use. It's slow and has a fair amount of weaknesses, but robot go punch, what more do you need?

"The energy that burns inside it enables it to move, but no one has yet been able to identify this energy."

As a, uh, big mecha fan I of course knew that this was referring to the anime series The Big O, and the titular character therein, ahem. This was suggested by Blueberry Pancakes and after most of the votes came in, I had no idea what the gently caress anyone was talking about.

MODEST?! Ah man, well it has the right ability, so it'll do. We'll mostly change the moveset though, it's pretty shocking. With 6/16/15/21/9/22, it has IVs in all the wrong places, could it become another mixed attacker?! Well, no, it's SpAtk is still godawful.

It's time for some training!

Now this is a good opponent. Galvantula might struggle against Golett, but it's a very dangerous threat otherwise. With Thunderbolt and Signal Beam, it usually deals a lot of damage and while it's quite fragile, it'll definitely leave a dent with that Spd. And that's it, it doesn't really get any other moves, not that it really needs much, unless you get lucky with Hidden Power. Its Atk is barely passable so it can use Sucker Punch or Poison Jab, but it'll be a long while before it gets some needed utility in Energy Ball in the postgame. Such is life, but until then, while it might start falling behind later on, it's a very dangerous bug. If you feel fancy, you can drop some CompoundEyes Thunder, as well as fully accurate Hyper Beam? Well, it works better when you don't have to restore PP all the time.

Like with John, Big O will take a bit to get going, but it hopefully shouldn't take long.

Someday, your existance will shake this Unova region! My loss looks more impressive if I praise you as a hotshot.

catching them, and overtaking them! You're strong! I'll overtake you at all costs!

Oh no, no, no, you stop that right now.

No time to feel down after a defeat! If moaning over a loss made me strong, I would bemoan a loss forever, though.

There's 3 more Pokemon to find in the grass, but we need different seasons for that.

Of course it's the other three Sawsbuck and of course I'm gonna talk about them! Well, I do wish they were more than cosmetic, I wish a lot of forms had a little more to them, but I'll collect them all the same. So let's talk about a slightly different topic.

I miss summer already... One thing I did want to talk about was the team rotation, I think it's worked really well! Especially since I didn't want to restrict myself to just 6 this time. We'll soon be having votes and the like and everyone's keeping up, I'm even ahead of some battles despite the constant switching! Definitely gonna continue this into further games and maybe expand it when dex sizes start getting a little... massive. Hmm, something to think about.

Out of all the Sawsbuck I guess Summer is my favourite? Maybe I'm just biased. Also, thinking about it, have I used a Pokemon with a form yet? I feel like I should get round to that one day. Anyway, it's been 3 months, I guess we should go up the tower...

Is... my character having sentient thoughts? Let's not make a habit of that.

Oh drat he was right. Though with the Strength boulder right there there's never a need to?

If we wanted a Golett, they're the only encounter in this room and this is the last room with encounters, so gently caress off repels, don't need you for once.

Woah look at all this THREE DEE!!!

Distinct lack of Plasma so far.

You go on ahead!

This is nothing! But there sure are a lot of them... oh, what a complete bother!

True, but I will talk to anyone anyway.

Why do you make that extra push? What is the source of that strength?

No one! I won't let anyone get in our way!

This strength... could it be equal to the Seven Sages?

So this is the true strength of a Gym Leader!

Yeah, all right. If I have to lose, at least it's to a Gym Leader.

Right now, our king is upstairs... there's nothing you can do!

Why do you get in our way even though you don't understand our sublime goal?!

So young, but so tough!

Oh, you can't touch a Ghost type? Well isn't that interesting.

Why are you and the Gym Leaders against us? I just can't understand it at all.

You, before you came here, how many Pokemon did you hurt?

"and came here."

Ah dammit, one of my many weaknesses!

If the king of Team Plasma rules the world, Trainers will disappear, and disputes the end!

Get that move outta my face!

Because there are nights, the sun is beautiful. Because we exist, our king shines...

"hyper I am, the faster you'll go down!"

Still, this is a great tower. I feel not only its history but also its awe-inspiring power.

Considering how they started in DP with some light 3D dabbling, Pokemon has come a long way. It's not flashy, but it's much better imagining this world in a 3D space.

Around and around we go, where we'll stop, we know, cause it's here.

So this is rare, a mistranslation. It was just the legendary cry onomatopoeia in the originals, but here it implies this is N making a bad pun. My boy doesn't do that so I won't take such slander.

What?! Someone made it clear up here?! Now! Stop that Trainer! For our lord N!

Use all your powers to take them out!

No one can interfere with Unova's new dawn!

Big O is gonna be caught up sooner than you thought, yay padding...

Sheesh... losing to a kid... but Team Plasma is more than one person!

Our dream is about to come true! No one will be able to stop us!

You may have stopped me, but my teammate will stop you here!

Here I come! Plasmaaaa!!

drat Stench! Also I've fought 3 Liepard and this is the first one that actually attacked me!

Our king will create a new world.

Bring it on! Can you take four in a row?

I don't understand... why do you keep trying so hard? W-well, we'll let you through for now!

So your Pokemon have gotten used to being your weapons...

The hero will open up the way to a new world! Which means you Trainers can all prepare to lose your Pokemon!

Hah, like N is gonna be the hero, there's no way the legendary Pokemon will join him.

Tower's Top Floor

Oh. Oh poo poo.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 20, 2020

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

It is staggering just how often Golett appears with Klutz rather than Iron Fist. Like, to the point I thought it was Golett's only ability. But it is a cool dude and I can't fault him, even if our Golett's got a subpar nature to work with.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Mienfoo is cool and my friend.

That said, GF really would benefit from going back and shaving 14 or so levels off of just about every Unova evolutionary line.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
You think it's weird that Beartic's dex entry explicitly mentions it being able to freeze its breath but it requires a man-made machine to teach it how to actually weaponize it?

Can't even learn it naturally until Sword and Shield, where Frost Breath isn't even a TM(/R).

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Aw gently caress, it's a dragon(s)

quote:

I appreciate that the ice-gym leader is an old mask-wearing samurai/ninja (and later, actor) with one tiddy out. The gym leaders were starting to feel a little too grounded for me.

So of course, he's the one that shows up when plot starts happening :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

LiefKatano posted:

You think it's weird that Beartic's dex entry explicitly mentions it being able to freeze its breath but it requires a man-made machine to teach it how to actually weaponize it?

Can't even learn it naturally until Sword and Shield, where Frost Breath isn't even a TM(/R).

Kinda like Drowzee being unable to eat dreams in Gen I despite that being its whole thing.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Someone please explain to me why Cedric Juniper exists. What does he do that his daughter, the actual Pokemon Professor of this region, couldn't do just as well? This is basically the game saying yes, you can have a female professor at last, but only so she can be overshadowed and replaced by a man once the plot starts ramping up.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I forgot that Dragonspiral was an actual dungeon to it. That's nice

Black Robe posted:

Someone please explain to me why Cedric Juniper exists. What does he do that his daughter, the actual Pokemon Professor of this region, couldn't do just as well? This is basically the game saying yes, you can have a female professor at last, but only so she can be overshadowed and replaced by a man once the plot starts ramping up.

For whatever reason, they always had 2 professors in this game. Why they wanted 2 professors, who knows.

I also wouldn't say she's really overshadowed? I'm pretty sure the primary Juniper still has relevance moving forward, he's just...around...for this section of this plot, for some reason. BW2 just shoves him in the post game and hell I forgot he showed up in the anime at all, he has like no presence.

Have some weird rear end designer notes!

quote:

Sugimori: “Up until halfway through development, both professors were actually men. We’d received orders with very unpleasant requirements — that one professor should be fat, and other one old (laughs). But there was a severe lack of anything feminine or pleasant about that situation. So I went and complained to Masuda — I told him, “Make the professor a woman!” (laughs). I’d actually been thinking about handing over the responsibility of designing the professor to Ohmura, but I was the one who’d proposed the changes, so I decided to design her myself. I thought she would be kind of a New Yorker type — in other words, a real career woman. Maybe she’s the kind of woman that would wear sneakers around the office, that kind of vibe. After Juniper was changed into a woman, we revised Cedric’s design as well — in order to make him look like he could actually be the other professor’s father.”

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
I do have to say, I am impressed that N appears on different sides during the cutscene depending on whether it's Black or White you're playing. It's a small detail that they didn't have to add, but cool nonetheless.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

They didn't mirror him either, I've never noticed it before!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 18: Moor of Plot

Dragonspiral Top Floor

How do you like the beautiful form of the Pokemon who appears and fights beside the hero that will lead the way to a new world? Now, Reshiram and I will head to the Pokemon League and defeat the Champion! This will be the last of the Pokemon battles that hurt Pokemon so. A world for Pokemon alone... it's finally going to be a reality.

That's right! When Reshiram's counterpart, Zekrom, recognizes you, we will finally be even, and then you can try to stop us! Well, what will you do? My prediction... if the future that I see is true, you will meet with Zekrom. The Pokemon with you believe in you so strongly... will you be the one who interferes with my formula for changing the world? If you want to protect the bonds between Pokemon and people, you must search for Zekrom! I'm sure it is waiting for you in the form of the Dark Stone.

How could this happen?

Why? That was that guy N, right? Why was he with the legendary Pokemon? He couldn't really be the hero, could he?! Also, did I hear him tell you to search for the other legendary Pokemon?

Calm down! First, we go back! It's more important to decide what to do next than analyze what just happened.

I never would have imagined the legendary Dragon-type Pokemon would return now...

That guy called N... Team Plasma's boss apparently reawakened the legendary Pokemon. He told Touya to look for the other legendary Pokemon, then flew away...

Huh? There are two legendary Dragon-type Pokemon?

Alder Encounter

No time for chitchat! That fearsome column of fire that shot from the tower... that Pokemon has the power to destroy the world! If it's on Team Plasma's side, and Team Plasma tells everyone to release their Pokemon... no matter whether it comes from fear or admiration... the world can't help but change. It will become a world where we are separated from Pokemon...

Right... moreover, the boss of Team Plasma, N, who awakened Reshiram, apparently said to look for the other Pokemon, Zekrom.

If I remember the myth, Reshiram's fiery breath, along with the other Pokemon, devastated ancient Unova in an instant. Even knowing that, N is still wanting to awaken the other?!

Isn't it dangerous to bring back a Pokemon that powerful?

Miss, you are a very kind person. Still, I don't know if other Pokemon will be able to stand up to it. Because, no matter what, it is a legendary being... I don't like the idea of taking orders from N, but searching for the dragon--the stone--might not be a bad plan. We certainly can't let Team Plasma reawaken both of them! Since I've traveled all over Unova, I have an idea of where it might be. Let's head to the Relic Castle. Touya, everyone, I'm going!

I see. We'll leave that to you. I'm going to investigate the tower. Hopefully, I'll find something.

Then, I will go with you.

Being able to do something for Pokemon--for somebody at a time like this--is strength... I'm sure of it. And my strength is something that is given to me by Pokemon. OK, Champion, let's hurry!

So confusing... I dunno what to do... are you gonna go to the Relic Castle, Touya? Past Route 4, in the Desert Resort... I hear that's where the Relic Castle is...

If you want someone to investigate the origin of Pokemon, she's the best.

So, this is Dragonspiral Tower. There's a certain heaviness to the air. Did Reshiram, who woke up here, see something in N?

Weird, usually we stop the evil plans between the 7th and 8th Gym, but this time the villain succeeds and is gonna become the Champion?! poo poo's wild man.

That's the entrance to the Relic Castle. You're impressive, Touya, making it here before I did. Dealing with the Desert Resort's Pokemon took longer than I would've thought. I only made it all the way out here thanks to my Pokemon. Alder went on ahead. Let's hurry.

Relic Castle

Does... Cheren not use repels? This conversation would make way more sense for when we reach the bottom of the area, but down we go.

We will see if you can defeat Team Plasma! Go! Hurry and fall through the flowing sands!

Ah, Fighting STAB on Hamlet. We're ahead of the curve, especially when it comes to Plasma grunts, so it's gonna be a quick trip down.

To get to a lower level, stand still in the midst of quicksand. I'm not being kind... my companions will defeat you.

"They live in groups of a few individuals. Protective membranes shield their eyes from sandstorms."

Since we're in a new area we can catch some new Pokemon. And by some I mean two. And by two I mean the only two we'll catch this update.

And there's the second one, Cofagrigus is okay now if you thought Yamask was a little too painful to carry around for 20 levels. It has great defensive stats brought down by its godawful HP and mediocre defensive typing, as well as an alright SpAtk brought down by its Spd. It'll get Shadow Ball pretty quickly but since it got gently caress all as Yamask, it'll get gently caress all here. Its coverage is pretty shocking, only really having Psychic and Energy Ball to work with which are both, you guessed it, still postgame. Lame. Still, with Curse, Protect, Will-O-Wisp and Toxic, it can be a pretty good physical wall, even with its mediocre overall bulk. It wasn't a great pick when we last came here, but now you can give it some tools to be pretty effective.

"It has been said that they swallow those who get too close and turn them into mummies. They like to eat gold nuggets."

Nice to go 5 steps and get what you need, now I don't have anything to break up all the Plasma fights! poo poo.

Because of you, my Pokemon lost! Don't you feel sorry for them? Besides, you are just depending on your Pokemon for strength.

We're trying so hard to change the world because nobody else is trying. Yet... that's right! You! Can you understand our lord N's feelings?

Aww yeah, this can go on... Corazon, since he's the only special attacker on our team. I did not plan this out well.

Thankfully going down the wrong hole is only required the once for some items. Well it's not required since we don't need any of this, but I'm required to do it, so it's required.

Hop up the stairs and back down to B2F.

How dare you interrupt us without understanding us?

Man it's really hard not to run across these things.

Me, lose? Here I am, covered in sand, throwing everything I have into it, and I lose? Am I that much of a loser? It should be your loss. And that's an order!

And we're at the end already. You know, compared to other teams, we honestly don't fight Team Plasma that much. There's definitely parts where they're in the way, but usually it's just N and Ghetsis encounters. That is not the case for the next game...

Everything changes. Unova will also be born again. Why don't you admit that?

I repeat! We won't tolerate people who have different ideas! Your friends are waiting below--now get out!

Oh goody, Ghetsis was down here.

It seems you are working hard to resurrect Zekrom, the other Dragon-type Pokemon, aren't you? But it appears the Dark Stone you seek is not here. Well then, congratulations are in order! Touya, you were chosen by our king. If you truly desire to keep the world as it is, where Pokemon live alongside people, you must bring the other Dragon-type Pokemon spoken of legend and battle with our king. Otherwise, Team Plasma will steal every Pokemon from every person in the world and release them all!

Release them, you say? Do the Pokemon who live with their Trainers actually want that? Is the liberation you talk about really just stealing Pokemon from people?

Champion Alder, even though illness took the Pokemon that had been your partner for many years, and you haven't had a serious battle in all that time... even you, who ordered the Elite Four to protect the Pokemon League and left to wander the Unova region alone... even a Champion like you now wants to protect a world where Pokemon and people live together? Team Plasma's king will show the people of Unova that he is stronger than a Champion who keeps Pokemon bound! And just like the hero who founded Unova, he will be accompanied by the legendary Pokemon.

For this, we have prepared a suitable castle for the legendary Reshiram and our king!

I won't lose! I'll fight for all Trainers who love their Pokemon, and for all Pokemon who believe in their Trainers!

Our king has no interest in you. He has already determined that victory against you is assured.

So you stayed behind just to tell me that? Just to make a fool of me?

Of course not. I'm doing this out of kindness. Yes, kindness. I'm making sure the Champion doesn't get hurt for no reason. Granted, the moment when someone loses all hope... I really do love watching that moment. Well then, farewell.

Hmm... it seems my only choice is to return to the Pokemon League and battle N. But it bothers me to do exactly what Ghetsis wants... more importantly what should we do about the Dark Stone?

Alder... why don't we go outside for now?

Yes... that's a good idea. It's hard to breathe in here!

What could that guy called N possibly want? Could he be trying to prove he is right by winning the battle of the two dragons?

Touya!! Hello? Touya!! Oh! You picked up! Hey, Touya. Come to the museum in Nacrene City immediately! Right away, got it? I mean right now!

I could hear Professor Juniper's voice from clear over here! Seems like something big is happening. I wonder what is waiting at the museum in Nacrene City. I'll go on ahead!

I don't want to believe what that Ghetsis says... you should head for the Nacrene City Museum.

Nacrene City

Alright, I'll get my fingers ready, it's time for more talking! Again!

Yes, that's right, but is this really a Dragon-type Pokemon?

Surely... when I investigated Dragonspiral Tower, I found elements that were dated to the same era as this Dark Stone!

...I looked into that.

Impressive as always.

But, you know, we're lucky... 'cause what if Team Plasma, like, noticed that old stone that time...

It's clear to me that they were trying to steal the Dragon Skull so they could revive the legendary Dragon-type Pokemon. If you would, Touya, take this...

Wait a moment, Touya! If you take this Dark Stone, that means you'll be the one to battle N if anything happens to me.

You're the Champion, do your drat job and stop the legendary wielding young adult from tearing through the game and then complaining on the internet how easy a game for children was!

So, you're just going to allow N to fulfill his plans for a new world? A world where Pokemon and Trainers are separated?

Yes.

Still, I must ask you... sincerely I must ask you... take this stone. Just in case it's needed!

God, fine, MOM, you're not my real dad!

This world of ours, where Pokemon and people live together... please... if anything happens to me, protect it!

...I see. If things don't go as planned, you'll use this Dark Stone. You'll protect the ideal future for us and Pokemon. Touya, we're counting on you. Please take care of yourself.

We got the oooooooorb!

That's it! We've got them, don't we?

Ah-hah. We've got those two. Touya! Go to Opelucid City. The Gym Leader of that city uses Dragon-type Pokemon. The Gym Leader could know something. I'll go ahead and wait for you there! Until then!

That's right! Opelucid City's Iris might know something!

Hey, Touya. Never forget that you always have Pokemon right by your side.

I'm going to head back to the lab and do some research... I'll see if I can uncover what kinds of beings these legendary Dragon-type Pokemon are and if there is any way to awaken them...

Don't worry! If we have something for you, we'll come running to find you!

Touya, do you know Opelucid City? When you leave from Icirrus City and, like, cross the Tubeline Bridge, it's on the other side. Umm... I'm not that great with directions, so if you need more, check your Town Map, OK?

Route 8 Spring

Boy that was a lot of talking, so let's change our C-Gear screen, suggested by Haifisch, and head out into Spring, a short and sweet route is just what we need.

That's something I cherish!

Nature changes, and Pokemon evolve... how can people change?

As if Milli needed more buffs, but he has Poison Jab so it's not really needed.

"So cute!"

Ah poo poo, but since it doesn't have Water Absorb I can go for Sca- oh it has Recover, alright, let's switch.

According to footstep fortune-telling... those whose footsteps make a splish and a splosh are Trainers that Pokemon like.

This place is cool in Spring, like with Icirrus City it gets iced over in Winter but unlike there, there's no real reason to do so, since it just prevents you from getting some items and that's about it.

See the strength of my Pokemon!

Why does this move hit every goddamn time...

There is nature and there are cities, and it's lovely to have the choice. Both people and Pokemon can choose their favorite places!

Moor of Iccirus

Route 8 is a little short, but if you wanted Moor then, heh, here's the Moor. Wait, poo poo, I already used that joke in the title.

Like with Route 8 this places freezes over in the Winter and is also just as pointless, like this item getting locked off.

We're doing this now?! Good, this egg was taking its time.

Child of the sun, the last regular evolution line in the dex, is it any good? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no. Larvesta does not have the stats to reach LEVEL FIFTY NINE and since you can only get it in an egg, you're not intended to train it through the game to reach its evolution. It becomes amazing when it evolves and, honestly, its passable Atk makes it fine to use when you train it up immediately when you first get it. Its main issue is it learns a move every 10 levels, so you're stuck with complete trash moves for a long time, like Flame Charge at 30 and Bug Bite at 40. Wow. Acrobatics will only take you so far. No, this thing is hot trash and it should get some Elite Four grinding in the postgame if you hatch a good one. Otherwise just catch the postgame Volcarona and get this neat dex entry.

"This Pokémon was believed to have been born from the sun. When it evolves, its entire body is engulfed in flames."

At least this can hatch eggs faster... even if it's the only egg mon we'll need to complete the dex. But! Nah, I got nothing.

Because they may show me Water-type Pokemon I've never seen.

If I find water, I drop in my fishing line. Because even with a puddle, there may be Pokemon that I've never seen.

btw, the Pokemon we can find in the puddles is the same as Icirrus City as well as Route 8, though we have a small chance of finding Seismitoad in rippling water. I'm alright.

Oh yeah, Soak. poo poo.

Stay still and listen carefully! Hear the sounds of nearby Pokemon... the breath of trees and swamps.

Neat hill.

Since we got Sludge Bomb outside, there's nothing close to a good TM here.

"That's a Ranger!"

Thank you for not using Ice Beam.

I'm researching what kinds of Pokemon live around here. That way, I can plan which Pokemon I should take along.

Woo, Strength.

You're right! If I have a battle, they may get even dirtier!

I would feel sorry for boots if I cared about them getting dirty. Pokemon are the same. Right? I feel sorry for them getting hurt, but it makes them stronger.

Route 8 Spring

Alright, onto the actual straight line, though I can use my Town Map in case I get lost!

Facade! Facade! When the user's poisoned, paralyzedd, or burned, its attack power doubles!

A few peeps clumped up at the end of a small route.

How do I know that real Fishermen are so impatient? Because we change places frantically if we cannot catch Pokemon!

Ack... come on! On rainy days, use a parasol, wear a coat, or get wet. Do as you like!

I find rocks, and then I give them to people... that's my simple life. You rock... Here, I'll give you the Heat Rock I found this afternoon.

Yeah, yeah... if you like rocks, come back tomorrow... roll in at a different time, if possible. I'll be here, I pumice.

We've been followed, let's leave it on a totally suspenseful cliffhanger, I pumice.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Too bad you forgot to :orb:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Congratulations!! You have acquired a rock. I'm sure it'll be great help in the final battle... maybe you can chuck it at N's head?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Remember your dead Volcarona? The Volcarona that died? The Volcarona you loved dearly and lost due to its death?

...What's your point?

Nothing. I just like bringing it up.

Ghetsis being a dick aside, I wish Alder took the stone, lost, and then gave it to the player rather than just upfront saying "Well, I'm going to lose, so just keep this stone for when it's plot relevant".

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 18, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Crosspeice posted:

Alder... why don't we go outside for now?

Yes... that's a good idea. It's hard to breathe in here!

What could that guy called N possibly want? Could he be trying to prove he is right by winning the battle of the two dragons?

"It's hard to breathe in here! Let's go stand in a violent sandstorm instead!"

Also, yes, Alder, it's just faintly possible that N is trying to do what he explicitly told us several times that he is trying to do. Brilliant deductive reasoning.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Remember your dead Volcarona? The Volcarona that died? The Volcarona you loved dearly and lost due to its death?

...What's your point?

Nothing. I just like bringing it up.

Ghetsis being a dick aside, I wish Alder took the stone, lost, and then gave it to the player rather than just upfront saying "Well, I'm going to lose, so just keep this stone for when it's plot relevant".

Yeah, their decision to make the Champion openly useless this gen sure was a thing. I remember being very confused when Ghetsis told us that Alder was basically only still Champion because he wandered off and wasn't there to be challenged and hadn't actually fought anyone for years. The Champion is supposed to be the best trainer so that when they fail to deal with the threat we understand how serious it is and it feels significant. N beating Alder says nothing about how dangerous his new dragon is because Alder is rusty as heck and doesn't have a full team. All we've seen Alder do is order some kindergarteners to battle us.

Crosspeice posted:

Surely... when I investigated Dragonspiral Tower, I found elements that were dated to the same era as this Dark Stone!

...I looked into that.

Oh, gently caress off, Cedric.

N remains a sweetheart though and my biggest gripe with this game is that we can't let him win.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Black Robe posted:

N remains a sweetheart though and my biggest gripe with this game is that we can't let him win.

If he wins we can no longer befriend Pokemon via superior firepower and civilization also kind of collapses in various not fun ways.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I meant to mention it the last update, but the demo for this game actually took place on that small area between iccurus city & dragonspiral tower. Every time you went into the demo, it would choose a different season to show off. iirc you had a Deerling (set as the first pokemon, so you'd always see it), a starter and i think...basculin?

Anyway to end the demo you went up to the tower entrance to meet with Juniper again and she'd give a little spiel about how she researches the origins of Pokemon as her speciality, they hear something going on at the tower and then the demo ends. I wonder if at one point she was supposed to be there at the tower in the final game, after that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

N needs to be shoved in a locker and by god Touya is here to do that.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I forget, does that Parasol Full of TMs lady give away more than one TM on different days or different seasons? I know you can get at least one of each weather rock from the lady near the door at different times of day or something.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Black Robe posted:

Yeah, their decision to make the Champion openly useless this gen sure was a thing. I remember being very confused when Ghetsis told us that Alder was basically only still Champion because he wandered off and wasn't there to be challenged and hadn't actually fought anyone for years. The Champion is supposed to be the best trainer so that when they fail to deal with the threat we understand how serious it is and it feels significant. N beating Alder says nothing about how dangerous his new dragon is because Alder is rusty as heck and doesn't have a full team. All we've seen Alder do is order some kindergarteners to battle us.
I get why they made Alder useless, but like. Man, why even have him in the game? He's very :effort:
Which is a shame, because these games are coming right off the heels of platinum, which had Cynthia.

Well, at the very least, he's better than Diantha, the champion so memorable I had to google her name to make sure I was right.

Funky Valentine posted:

N needs to be shoved in a locker and by god Touya is here to do that.
Seconded. He is a weenie boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alder looks like Jiraiya from Naruto, so he's got that going for him. I guess. If you consider that a positive.

Blaziken386 posted:

Well, at the very least, he's better than Diantha, the champion so memorable I had to google her name to make sure I was right.

I genuinely forgot that she existed when I played X and was horribly confused when she was talking to me at the League like she knew me.