Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think it mean?
This poll is closed.
"Shut up, you attempt at a rooster! I liked you better when you were quiet!" 3 10.71%
"Shut up, you adherent of Kenny Roger's Roasters! I liked that episode of Seinfeld!" 5 17.86%
"Shut up, you incompetent rouster! We've changed time periods in the middle of the game." 4 14.29%
"Shut up, you incel losers, I loving don't care about Goku." 11 39.29%
Other 5 17.86%
Total: 16 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Hello, I'm Fleta, and sometimes I get paid to fix video game scripts.

It is a beautiful Sunday morning and I am inside working. Hooray! Best of all, my boss panicked because he's behind and sent me a script that hadn't undergone any proofreading. While this is fine and even better than getting one that's been "proofread" (because then I have to identify and delete every reference to memes or anime I can find, because my boss doesn't know them and his "writing team" consists of two incels who spend all their time doing animes)...well, there are some hiccups.

I present, with no context, the following sentence I am expected to "fix and make not poo poo":

script posted:

Shut up you intent of a rostear I'd like you better when you were quite.

Okay, so this isn't the worst one I've ever seen. Clearly, the second half of the sentence is meant to be "I liked you better when you were quiet." However, I have exactly zero clue what the rest of the sentence means.

Goons, what do you think it means? Any ideas are better than what I'm coming up with. They are the poll options.

Possible clues:
- I can't explain the story, but I can say that this line was spoken by [the broad concept of] God.
- "rostear" might mean "rooster"
- "God" is speaking to, shall we say, a gentleman who greatly enjoys rural pursuits and the political beliefs typically associated with his race, gender, and social class.
- Someone may or may not have exploded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

"shut up you intent of a rostear" is gen z slang for "may i kindly suck you off"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
You crow like a rooster, shut up.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

"shut up you intent of a rostear" is gen z slang for "may i kindly suck you off"

I change my answer to this.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

UltraRed posted:

You crow like a rooster, shut up.

Ohhhh that might actually be valid, thank you for the legit idea!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

If God was Gen Z then everyone in America could still do their TikTok dances!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I made a typo in the poll title. I am no better than he is!

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

What language did it start as?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Flannelette posted:

What language did it start as?

This is what happens when he writes in English and he's rushing. His primary language is Spanish, more or less. English is his third and this is not representative of his abilities, but the dude works 13 hours a day every day and it falls apart sometimes.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

If we assume rostear is a rooster / cock, then perhaps the intent of a rostear is to gently caress

or just write about secretions of the cock and see what they say if you submit that as a translation

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

inkmoth posted:

If we assume rostear is a rooster / cock, then perhaps the intent of a rostear is to gently caress

or just write about secretions of the cock and see what they say if you submit that as a translation

Unfortunately, due to our rating, I don't think that's it.

HOWEVER

Maybe God was calling the guy a cock and they didn't think God would say "cock"? But that's a goddamn terrible line that I'd rewrite anyways, so I refuse to accept it.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 27, 2020

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I mean, a rooster is stereotypically very loud. So it makes sense you would want someone with the intent of a rooster to be quiet. To go with the crowing idea.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
I believe he's being called a "wannabe cuck."

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

inkmoth posted:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

OP massive noob who vouldn't suss out rooster. Report and destroy via steam press.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Xaintrailles posted:

I believe he's being called a "wannabe cuck."

Please do not make me explain this. I already had to explain why it's not appropriate for a female character to call herself a grenade.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

OP massive noob who vouldn't suss out rooster. Report and destroy via steam press.

WHAT IS THIS INTENT

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

WHAT IS THIS INTENT

What is the intent of a rooster? To peck the brains of intellectual noobs.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

What is the intent of a rooster? To peck the brains of intellectual noobs.

I'd like you better when you're not quite :unsmith:

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

quote:

Shut up you intent of a rostear I'd like you better when you were quite.

Is this in response to the person saying something mean? My initial reading was more "stop your attempts at roasting; I like you better when you are quiet."

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Stop your crowing, I liked you better when you were quiet.
Stop blowing your own trumpet; I liked you better when you were quiet.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Shack up your intense NFL roster I'd like GNU better when the Who was shite.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Hush your crowing, you noisy old rooster. I liked it better when you were quiet.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I think intent might mean like mind, or brain. Shut up cock brains, or maybe dick brains, or maybe dick head

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
infantile rooster

:smug:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Stop your clucking, I'm god Ok?!

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Imbecile co-star / coaster / toaster

or

"Shut up and fill your Intent to Roster Form, I'd like you better if you were quite correctly rostered"

https://www.nysfbla.org/intent-to-roster-form-2/

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Shut up about your intended roast and, like, improve your quiche

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

My chilean gf told me it's very likely a translation from "intento de gallo" which sort of means "intent of a rooster", but is meant as like "you're trying to be a rooster" as in "you're trying to be cool but are failing". Appearantly being called a rooster or being a rooster is being a cocky, macho guy.

So my guess it's like "You're behaving cocky like a rooster, but I liked you better when you were quiet".

e: she added that "propably it's a conversation about who has the biggest dick or something like that"

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Pro-tip: If you're translating something and the meaning isn't 100% clear, just put <FONZ NOISES> and move on.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Just according to rooster*

*translator's note: rooster means plan

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Spoony rooster, will you pay for insolence of yours!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Please do not make me explain this. I already had to explain why it's not appropriate for a female character to call herself a grenade.

idgi

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

It's also a short summary of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqDSvU-sDSE

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Put the line into AI dungeon and see what it comes up with. That's your answer.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Son of Rodney posted:

My chilean gf told me it's very likely a translation from "intento de gallo" which sort of means "intent of a rooster", but is meant as like "you're trying to be a rooster" as in "you're trying to be cool but are failing". Appearantly being called a rooster or being a rooster is being a cocky, macho guy.

I quite agree with this interpretation. "Ser gallito" in Spain has an equivalent interpretation, like "you are being way too cocky/talking too big for what you are", and while here it'd be "aprendiz" for "intento", the meaning is the same. So the whole thing may be trying to say something like "shut up and stop trying to be so cocky", but they translated the rooster thing directly so it got a bit mangled.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Cyks posted:

Is this in response to the person saying something mean? My initial reading was more "stop your attempts at roasting; I like you better when you are quiet."

This is along the lines of what I was thinking.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
They come to snuff the rooster, you know he ain’t gonna die

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Management posted:

They come to snuff the rooster, you know he ain’t gonna die

The rooster died. It's in a coma

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the author intended to say poster, not rooster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I used google translate to translate the original quote into Spanish and then back into English. I’m 100% confident in the results that google has provided.

“Shut up intention of a rostear. I'd like you better when you're calm.”

Also it appears your writer also knows Portuguese since google told me that rostear means face in Portuguese

So, the final quote in English turns out to be.

“Shut up intention of a face. I’d like you better when you’re calm. “

This is a common saying here in Utah, once again google figures it all out