Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Dutch 1-2-4 :ok: Also that sprint for second got a bit spicy there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

1-2-4 for the Dutch

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:
Gonna lol if its 1-2-3 after the Italian lady gets DQ for that sprint

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:
quote is not edit

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

colonel tom posted:

Gonna lol if its 1-2-3 after the Italian lady gets DQ for that sprint

It's a distinct possibility after seeing that slomo

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
https://streamable.com/p7od08

Bashing her still broken wrist :gonk:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

That’s some top notch souplesse.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Imagine not charging your Di2 before a world championship race?

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/el...0iSFtRRb8PeQcps

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I’m the guy that’s dragged a microphone and massive guitar amp up the hill

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm the one Romanian cyclist they found on a cafe ride in Timisoara.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Like every year, I am again perplexed by the existence and presence of Polychronis Tzortzakis. At some point I'm going to have to look up how starting spots are assigned to nations, because... Greece?! The only races he's ever won were a) the Greek championships (where he races against 49 year old amateurs and people who got popped for doping in Europe Tour 2.2 races), and b) the GC of Europe and Africa Tour 2.2 races (there's a race called "In the steps of the Romans", held in Bulgaria. The more you know)

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Whoa, the Lithuanian starter (somehow NOT Ramunas?!) has won the GC of Tour of Yancheng Coastal Wetlands in 2015. He, Ramunas and the Romanian guy are all teammates these days btw

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I went shopping and now the break has an extra rider? How did that happen?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Kind of nuts the Swiss are up there riding for a 22 year old at the world's

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I wonder how GvA will ruin Wout's race.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

I went shopping and now the break has an extra rider? How did that happen?

I think it's the same 7 guys it's always been. A Danish rider tried to bridge ~15 minutes ago but I don't think that worked out.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Smirr posted:

I think it's the same 7 guys it's always been. A Danish rider tried to bridge ~15 minutes ago but I don't think that worked out.

Its my own dumb rear end fault the Italian rider took off his jacket.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Its my own dumb rear end fault the Italian rider took off his jacket.

The Italian is a Mexican, but tbf it took me half an hour to figure out the Norwegian guy isn't Thai

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Smirr posted:

The Italian is a Mexican, but tbf it took me half an hour to figure out the Norwegian guy isn't Thai

I mean its the same colour flag.

Switzerland must think Hirschi is on top form the way they're working.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Smirr posted:

Like every year, I am again perplexed by the existence and presence of Polychronis Tzortzakis. At some point I'm going to have to look up how starting spots are assigned to nations, because... Greece?! The only races he's ever won were a) the Greek championships (where he races against 49 year old amateurs and people who got popped for doping in Europe Tour 2.2 races), and b) the GC of Europe and Africa Tour 2.2 races (there's a race called "In the steps of the Romans", held in Bulgaria. The more you know)

it's tiered by the nations' place in the uci world rankings. the top 50 get at least one rider, higher get more. then a nation that hasn't qualified this way but has a rider in the top 200 individual uci ranking gets a spot. then reigning world, and continental champs get spots. the host nation can also get extra spots if they don't already have the max.

greece are apparently 37th best cycling nation according to the uci rankings.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 27, 2020

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

HappyCamperGL posted:

it's tiered by the nations' place in the uci world rankings. the top 50 get at least one rider, higher get more. then a nation that hasn't qualified this way but has a rider in the top 200 individual uci ranking gets a spot. then reigning world, and continental champs get spots. the host nation can also get extra spots if they don't already have the max.

greece are apparently 37th best cycling nation according to the uci rankings.

Interesting, thanks for the write-up. I guess the thing that I find weird is that national championships give (quite a few) UCI points. But then again there's quite a few countries without national championships.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
A detailed discussion of how the other nations can beat Wout Van Aert but no-one has mentioned GvA attacking him when he gets a puncture.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I think the Swiss may have killed Michi Schär for nothing. They're down to three riders now and no one else seems interested in keeping the pace high (at least this far out - I really don't know what they were trying to accomplish really)

e: thank you, Russian dude

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're showing how much they want free movement in Europe by providing maximum movement for a lot of Europeans for free.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Uh-oh, the Spaniards are coming to the front of the peloton.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

They're showing how much they want free movement in Europe by providing maximum movement for a lot of Europeans for free.

Another irl lol.

I thought they were setting up Hirschi for a long ranger, get the break down to a minute and go?

And here come the French. Can't wait to see Alaphilippes 300m attack before cracking.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Another irl lol.

I thought they were setting up Hirschi for a long ranger, get the break down to a minute and go?

And here come the French. Can't wait to see Alaphilippes 300m attack before cracking.

Stand up, sit down, shake the head, the three pronged Alaphilippe attack strategy

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Man, :france:!!! I can't wait for them to not win

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

France are murdering everyone

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The futility of the French attack 2m from the top of the hill. It's almost art.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Generous of Dan Lloyd to think Alaphilippe wouldn’t burn his team if he wasn’t feeling good

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Meanwhile the entire Belgium team continue to do absolutely no work.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Meanwhile the entire Belgium team continue to do absolutely no work.

I was just about to comment on that, how they're just hanging on in full strength while a couple of Frenchmen murder themselves on a rolling descent

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Throwing themselves on the road like a carpet for the other teams to ride over.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They might have killed off some of the last part-timers. But nobody cared about them anyway.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Whats the plan here for the French? they're too far out for Alaphilippe to launch on the next climb and they havent got the team to keep at this for another lap

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I suppose if you keep 8 Belge around eventually they'll start killing each other.

There's no way GVA isn't plotting how to ditch a few already

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Whats the plan here for the French? they're too far out for Alaphilippe to launch on the next climb and they havent got the team to keep at this for another lap

That's what baffling me too. Even assuming that Alaphilippe is in tip-top form, surely the French team knows that he can't attack on the penultimate lap?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they're just trying to make sure they're mentioned in the reports. The national version of getting your team jersey on the TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

goatface posted:

They might have killed off some of the last part-timers. But nobody cared about them anyway.

+ Luke Rowe (soon, probably)