Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I apologized when I realized I had upset DDD i dont know what else you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kvlt! posted:

I apologized when I realized I had upset DDD i dont know what else you want

I'm trying not to be a dick and I apologize if I've failed. I think you're focusing on the wrong part. Its good you apologized to Deb for that, but like... its kind of a problem that she thought it was a common thing that keeps her away or that the conversation turned into "I don't care what people call me and neither should you." We just shouldn't be jerks. In general. In life. As a joke to someone who maybe might not know we were joking or might be having a bad day. We just should avoid it. I apologize if I was one.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 26, 2020

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I'm trying not to be a dick and I apologize if I've failed. I think you're focusing on the wrong part. Its good you apologized to Deb for that, but like... its kind of a problem that she thought it was a common thing that keeps her away or that the conversation turned into "I don't care what people call me and neither should you." We just shouldn't be jerks. In general. In life. As a joke to someone who maybe might not know we were joking or might be having a bad day. We just should avoid it. I apologize if I was one.

no youre totally good that's a very fair point, I apologize as well

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

STAC Goat posted:

This is the least jerky horror community on the internet and the only reason I've delved as deep into horror movies as I have :unsmith:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The black horror discussion is really making me sad that Candyman got pushed back, it looks so good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Theyr'e doing another CG Resident Evil movie. The previous one was good, so I'm optimistic

https://twitter.com/Jawmuncher/status/1309935117863919616?s=20

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm gonna finally watch Blacula and maybe give Spike Lee's Ganja and Hess remake Da Sweet Blood of Jesus a look. It doesn't sound terribly well reviewed but it gives me an excuse to rewatch Ganja and Hess and that's a film/idea I'm interested to digest more.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I like to think I have a pretty high tolerance for bad movies and an addition to that I’m a huge (and I do mean huge as in I’ve sacrificed flesh in dedication of) Misfits Fan and I have one thing to say

Glenn Danzig should not be making Films

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Lumbermouth posted:

This is the least jerky horror community on the internet and the only reason I've delved as deep into horror movies as I have :unsmith:

Yeah this. We're all a bunch of weirdos and misfits to varying degrees and it's nice to have a community where we can talk about spookadoodles without judgement, and we should all be careful with what we say to each other.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Danzig is a himbo

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lumbermouth posted:

:yeah:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Danzig should for all intents and purposes, keep working as much as he wants. That seems to be the only time that man is happy (he is also inexplicably very nice to his fans as I haven’t heard a bad story about his regular encounters with regular people, but I chalk that up to him being grateful that people appreciate the work), but if you’re in the same industry or slight him somehow you bring the wrath of a very angry crypt keeper down upon your head. He dissed Narduwar, NARDUWAR! Who does that.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ive never listened to the misfits but i wanna do a double feature of Verotika and Fred Dursts movie

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Could I get some recs for horror movies with either a Black director or a predominantly Black cast? I'm doing Hooptober on Letterboxd in conjunction with the October challenge and per Hooptober's requirements, I need to watch at least two (will likely end up watching more). My plan was to watch Bones and Antebellum, but Antebellum will probably get dropped because I didn't hear good things. Have a few good options, but would relish input from the thread.

Some of the ones I've seen already and liked: the Jordan Peele movies, Ganja and Hess, People Under The Stairs, Tales From The Hood, Candyman, Attack The Block, The First Purge

I've always thought Vampire in Brooklyn was underrated. It has Eddie Murphy in a 100% non-comedic role, but in a movie that veers wildly between comedy and nominally serious drama.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its fine it just has no idea if it wants to be a wacky comedy or a serious horror. Like Murphy's playing the Dracula role completely straight with Angela Bassett but he's also doing comedy with Kadeem Hardison and the thing where he puts on a ton of makeup and a body suit to play another character but he's also playing him as an evil hatemonger or something. Its weird.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 26, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

ive never listened to the misfits but i wanna do a double feature of Verotika and Fred Dursts movie

I stand by the statement that The Fanatic is the movie that everyone thinks The Room is. Fanatic is some true honest garbage work.

Vampire in Brooklyn is also unofficially my first spookadoodle of the season. I had already planned on watching that this morning.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I saw a set of video interviews with Danzig from Rolling Stone I think a few years ago and he just seemed like a nice chill dude who liked old horror movies and punk. Nothing like the insufferable caricature from that old video of him showing off his collection of ~*totally twisted books*~ :devil: :rock:.

The guy is definitely delusional about the extent of his abilities as an artist though.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I think Vampire in Brooklyn has a hard time working because Eddie Murphy doesn't really have the screen presence to pull off a malevolent vampire.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Danzig is buff and handsome but dumb as a pile of bricks

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, its fine it just has no idea if it wants to be a wacky comedy or a serious horror. Like Murphy's playing the Dracula role completely straight with Angela Bassett but he's also doing comedy with Kadeem Hardison and the thing where he puts on a ton of makeup and a body suit to play another character but he's also playing him as a racist hatemonger or something. Its weird.

I don't consider wild tonal shifts to be a flaw, to the point where it's one of my biggest issues with American filmmaking (and the tastes of American audiences) in general.

TheKingslayer posted:

I think Vampire in Brooklyn has a hard time working because Eddie Murphy doesn't really have the screen presence to pull off a malevolent vampire.

this is fair though

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My friend used to have a Misfits video, and just how much of a dork Danzig is was hilarious. He really likes Wolverine.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't consider wild tonal shifts to be a flaw, to the point where it's one of my biggest issues with American filmmaking (and the tastes of American audiences) in general.
I don't consider it a flaw if it works. I just think its a particularly tough note to play and if you mess it up it kind of kills the whole piece.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

FreudianSlippers posted:

A true himbo icon

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

is this a reference to the pile of bricks outside Danzigs house that kept getting smaller as people stole his bricks as souvenirs

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Richleau posted:

How's about the Indonesian classic Mystics in Bali? I always loved that film. It has it all. Flying heads, crazy laughter, sick rear end old women, blood pacts, a German lady who has never acted before or ever again, over the top gore, human to animal to human transformation, neat special effects and all based on a real legend from Indonesia!

Fuckin love Mystics in Bali.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Happy 50th birthday, Sherri Moon Zombie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hell yeah.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Also in case anyone didn't know Rob has an in character insta for his dog.

Pretty normal stuff but him sitting there typing this stuff up is a hilarious image

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Decided to randomly watch Satanic Panic and recognized the area code and realized it's all filmed in Dallas. It's fun seeing locations in a movie im very familiar with. This must be how the big wigs that live in LA feel all the time.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Retro Futurist posted:

Also in case anyone didn't know Rob has an in character insta for his dog.

Pretty normal stuff but him sitting there typing this stuff up is a hilarious image

i don't have an insta so i never knew this but this is the best thing

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i rewatched Lords of Salem last night and I really wish Rob would give Sheri another lead role/another role thats not a Baby-esque character. I think she has some real acting chops. Or she should act outside of his movies.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Decided to randomly watch Satanic Panic and recognized the area code and realized it's all filmed in Dallas. It's fun seeing locations in a movie im very familiar with. This must be how the big wigs that live in LA feel all the time.

This has been one of the many joys of watching The Boys to me. Both it and Handmaid's Tale are extremely shot in Toronto.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
My biggest complaint about Return of the Living Dead is that it wasn’t shot in Louisville. Aren’t there even palm trees in some shots?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Ringu is so much better than Ju-On. My only real complaint is that, having seen the American version of The Ring, I was let down by the face reveals in Ringu. In The Ring, the people who got hosed up by the tape looked, well, hosed up. In Ringu it's like, "please don't look upon his hideous visage. He died in a gruesome way." *Pulls down sheet to reveal dude with caked on makeup doing his best "surprised" face*.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Untrustable posted:

Ringu is so much better than Ju-On. My only real complaint is that, having seen the American version of The Ring, I was let down by the face reveals in Ringu. In The Ring, the people who got hosed up by the tape looked, well, hosed up. In Ringu it's like, "please don't look upon his hideous visage. He died in a gruesome way." *Pulls down sheet to reveal dude with caked on makeup doing his best "surprised" face*.

I refused to see the ring because I was a lame freshman in college who was mad there was a pg13 remake of a Japanese film I never saw to begin with.

Should probably rectify that.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

If I’m going to try and finish an Argento that I bounced off two years ago, should I go with Deep Red or Tenebrae?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Lumbermouth posted:

If I’m going to try and finish an Argento that I bounced off two years ago, should I go with Deep Red or Tenebrae?

Deep Red is the better movie

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

david_a posted:

My biggest complaint about Return of the Living Dead is that it wasn’t shot in Louisville. Aren’t there even palm trees in some shots?

Greetings from Springwood, Ohio!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tenebrae is my fave from the limited pool of Argento I’ve seen, personally. It’s such a great story.