Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I saw Deano score 145 in an ODI against England back in the 90s at the Gabba. He was unstoppable, sixes, fours, leaping over the stumps after taking a quick single. I'll never forget it. RIP legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Well, that ruins my loving day.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's so nice to watch Alastair bat again.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He is feasting on the fruits of professional county bowling, as a gentleman cricketer should.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Which is good because his team are falling apart.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cook out for 172 playing a lovely little defensive nothing shot.

Rest of Essex so far: 94/5.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Hope somerset win for big jack leach and also my mum

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The IPL is trying out a thing where the third umpire checks for no-balls. Surprised it took so long. Of course because it’s the IPL there’s a gimmick where a big alarm sound plays when one is bowled

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They were doing it in the Eng/WI series. It worked well enough, without sirens.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
When it eventually makes it way to the Big Bash League, the No Ball Siren will be sponsored by KFC

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:siren:Missed the line!:siren:
Should have gone to
Specsavers.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Bob Willis Trophy is reaching its thrilling conclusion I see

code:
Batsman	How Out	Bowler			Runs	Mins	Balls	4s	6s	SR

Browne	c Abell		b Gregory	13	31	26	3	0	50.00
Cook	c Davies	b Gregory	31	101	63	5	0	49.21
Westley	lbw		b C Overton	0	7	6	0	0	0.00
Lawrence	lbw	b Leach		35	118	88	5	0	39.77
Walter		lbw	b Leach		21	120	84	2	0	25.00
ten Doeschate		not out		36	123	108	5	0	33.33
Wheater			not out		4	58	47	0	0	8.51
Extras	8nb 0w 1b 10lb	19	
Total	(69.4 overs)	159-for5wickets	

Vando fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 27, 2020

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
That's what you get for trying to play cricket in England in practically October

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

tarbrush posted:

That's what you get for trying to play cricket in England in practically October

what

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR TRYING TO PLAY CRICKET IN ENGLAND IN PRACTICALLY OCTOBER.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Dead Goon posted:

THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR TRYING TO PLAY CRICKET IN ENGLAND IN PRACTICALLY OCTOBER.

what does it have to do with playing in October

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Should have been timeless

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Vando posted:

what does it have to do with playing in October

wearing two jumpers means they can't run between the wickets as fast

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Commentators were not impressed with how the pitch played. That and Essex relying so heavily on Cook being Cook that they shut the gently caress down as soon as he was out.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

goatface posted:

Commentators were not impressed with how the pitch played. That and Essex relying so heavily on Cook being Cook that they shut the gently caress down as soon as he was out.

They had no reason not to. Draw = win if you have a first innings lead makes for ultra-conservative cricket.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There was a chunk of the afternoon where it looked like they were more likely to lose. That's what the commentary was annoyed about, they weren't playing well enough to protect their wickets but the pitch was offering gently caress all to the bowlers.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Yeah that was not a results pitch at all, after the new ball and the dodgy as hell Cook decision the wickets were pretty much players getting themselves out, no real stress at all for Essex

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Exciting end to the T20 game between Leicestershire and Notts tonight.
Last ball: Notts need 2 to win, unless they lose a wicket. Imad Wasim is on strike, on 1(1) with Fat Sam at the non-strikers end.
Bowler sends down a slower ball which Wasim swipes out to cow corner; fielder runs in, gets there in plenty of time and - knowing his arm is up against the legendarily sluggish pie-eater - basically misses the ball and Notts win.

That's after one of their other players misfielded the last ball of the previous over, which ended up going for 4 rather than a single.

Still, it's better than the IPL, where shithouse spinners earn hundreds of thousands of dollars for sending down long-hops and looking baffled when they get spanked for 6.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/bbctms/status/1316822103681794049

I think England should do it

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

No better time for an overseas tour than now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Covid bubbled up in a hotel in the UK or security bubbled up in a hotel in Pakistan. Pretty much the same experience.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I say, good on them. Pakistan needs to be opened up for international cricket again.

And the IPL has shown that you can bubble up touring teams of foreigners.

If they can get the logistics right for a multi city tour of Pakistan, (and that is a big IF), then I see it as a positive for the game. And hopefully will lead to many more tours, giving the cricket starved Pakistanis something to watch.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I mean if you’re going to test the waters then doing it with a disposable team like England is a good start imo.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

New County Championship format for next season has been unveiled:

* Each county will play 10 four-day games in the group stage - five home and five away.
* The top two teams in each group will go through to a second group stage called "Division One". The six teams in Division One play a further four matches, with the side that finishes top of Division One crowned 2021 County Championship winners.
* The top two teams in Division One will contest five-day Bob Willis Trophy final at Lord's.
* The remaining 12 teams that do not go into Division One will move into Divisions Two and Three, in which teams will play another four matches.

The further divisions thing is just stupid, just let the division winners and the best performing runners up go into a semi-final then have the final

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Those Division Two and Three games are going to be just thrillers I can tell.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So they each play 9 games, 5 against random sides, 4 against seeded? And if you're not in the top division, the last four games are entirely meaningless.

The latter games might at least be competitive, I suppose.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
14 games, 5 home/5 away in the initial group stage, then 4 in whatever division you end up in

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh. So about the same number of games. I thought it was meant to be a reduction for everything still being hosed up next summer and trying to fit it into whatever schedule ends up being available.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
This year was the reduced schedule, next year they're planning on a regular number of games. The whole format change is just trying to chase the gold that came out of this year's BWT.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Seems like an odd choice to me. Next summer is either going to be some manner of hosed up or packed full of the usual things and a load of big events that should have been this year.

Are they still planning on launching the hundred next summer? loving about with the format of one thing while you forcibly introduce another isn't exactly going to give the most reliable consumer data. Smells like management consultant work if I'm honest.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I hope they are going to do the rounds in blocks instead of the mess of the current 3 different formats

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
The United States will need a lot of bribes immigrants from all the Indias hard work over the next decade to play with the red ball:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/30121504/usa-cricket-targets-icc-full-membership-2030

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Well they did win the first ever international cricket match, right?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
New Zealand really chalk up those moral victories.

https://twitter.com/ovshake42/status/1318605504730464256

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Shamelessly stolen from my news feed:

quote:

Pakcelona CC needed three runs to win off the final delivery in their chase of 108 against Catalunya CC. They ran a single, but seemed destined to end up one short, only to level the game in dramatic fashion.

Having played all around a short-of-a-length delivery, Adalat Ali, the Pakcelona batsman, scrambled for a run even as the wicketkeeper collected the ball. The gloveman was presumably under the impression that, once he collected it, the ball would be dead, but the batsmen came up with a canny tactic to keep the ball alive.

Ali, now at the non-striker’s end, left his ground and ran towards the striker’s end, with his partner Azeem Azam staying in place until the keeper threw the ball to the bowler in an attempt to run out the out-of-his-ground batsman.

As soon as the keeper released the ball, no safe from being run out at the striker’s end, Azam sprinted towards the non-striker’s end to complete the second run and tie the scores.

The bowler, after collecting the throw from the keeper, attempted a direct hit at the non-striker’s end, and missed. It allowed Pakcelona to level the scores, and push the match to a Golden Ball.

There's a video in the link, which is of poor quality, but arguably still better than the actual cricket it shows.