Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Is this running in any form of virt? Something common is that homelab people install proxmox or similar and don't passthru, so the VM itself does not have aes instructions running inside

It's bizarre that it would recommend RC4/MD5, which is practically nothing in 2020, instead of something like elliptical-curve/aes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I use AES128-SHA with sabnzbd and gigabit fiber, seems faster than the default anyway

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I've been using Usenet for almost a decade now. I use sabnzbd+, some indexers, and two usenet providers with nzbhydra to search for stuff. Is there anything I'm missing out on or is this still a really solid setup?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Knot My President! posted:

I've been using Usenet for almost a decade now. I use sabnzbd+, some indexers, and two usenet providers with nzbhydra to search for stuff. Is there anything I'm missing out on or is this still a really solid setup?

nah, you're good. the only advice you can get is diversifying and have an index backup or two and then a fill server on that side of it, and you're already doing that.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

nah, you're good. the only advice you can get is diversifying and have an index backup or two and then a fill server on that side of it, and you're already doing that.

Nice, that's good to hear :) for indexers I'm using Drunken Slug and NZBplanet-- are there any others that are worth looking into?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Biowarfare posted:

Is this running in any form of virt? ...

It's not explicitly in virt but I'd like to take a closer look at how Unraid does it's docker as it might be. I did check the OpenSSL ciphers within the same container as NZBGet and AES was at least an option, although that's not to necessarily say it could get to the hardware instructions...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Knot My President! posted:

Nice, that's good to hear :) for indexers I'm using Drunken Slug and NZBplanet-- are there any others that are worth looking into?

i mean if nothing is coming up empty for you, thern you're good. i prefer ones where i can pay a lifetime membership, or just use the free varieties wtih like 5 downloads a day which is enough so i use:
nzbgeek (lifetime)
nzbplanet (lifetime)
drunkenslug (free)
simplynzb (free)
abnzb (free)
nzbfinder (free)

I would like to throw a free account of DogNZB in there just for completeness, but I havent been able to find an invite nor have they done an open-reg in awhile :smith:

Anyways no harm in throwing those free ones into hydra at a lower-tier just incase you need them.

you also may want to upgrade to nzbhydra2, i found it better than 1.

and then eweka and newshosting but im gunna let my newshosting lapse and just use eweka. its by far the best in terms of retention a nd not getting DMCA-obliterated so it has everything even tho speeds usually top out around 40-50MB/s on a gigabit fiber for me.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 28, 2020

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I don't think dog does open reg anymore.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Very rarely a Dog invite will go up on r/usenetinvites, but after finally getting one I discovered that their free invite accounts are actually 10 day trials, after which you have to buy a proper account.

I'm currently rocking Geek, Simply, Slug, Dog (kinda), Cat and Planet. For free accounts and a Sonarr/Radarr setup, Simply only gives like 10 API calls a day which immediately get eaten up by RSS updates, while free Planet accounts don't get any API calls at all. Slug and Cat are both decent free options with 50 and 100 daily API calls respectively. Geek is the only one I've paid for so far, and maybe just because I also have it listed first but 95% of my transfers come in on Geek.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

With basically everything I do going through hydra, dogs unbelievably poo poo api reliability means I hardly use it

I've no idea when my vip or whatever runs out but I won't bother renewing

Xaris posted:

I would like to throw a free account of DogNZB in there just for completeness, but I havent been able to find an invite nor have they done an open-reg in awhile :smith:

pm me if you really want but don't discuss it :nono:

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 29, 2020

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Geek is the only indexer I have set up currently, and I don't have any problems.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

more falafel please posted:

Geek is the only indexer I have set up currently, and I don't have any problems.

Same here..though once in a while it'll tell me I can only get something in 1080p instead of 720p which I prefer, but no biggie.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Skarsnik posted:

With basically everything I do going through hydra, dogs unbelievably poo poo api reliability means I hardly use it
I've no idea when my vip or whatever runs out but I won't bother renewing

pm me if you really want but don't discuss it :nono:
Thanks for the offer but someone hooked me up several days ago. And yeah Hydra2 isn't exactly picking up anything special from it as far as I'm seeing so far, and yeah the free account is just an 11-day trial which expires so that's kinda lame and it's super expensive at $30/year (or $50/3). Not worth it if anyone is wondering.

I'll second Geek gets you pretty much everything and Lifetime is affordable if you dont like remembering/managing yearly subscriptions like I do. Planet and Finder also has one that picks up some stuff but mostly Geek is the bulk lifting there. Drunken Slug free is also a good add-on and picks up mostly whatever Geek isn't getting and have, although it's API is going to be limited at 50hits/day but that's okay if you aren't pulling in much on the regular and have hydra use it as last-resort indexer. If I were to pay for one on a yearly basis, it'd prob be Slug but not really necessary, at least for my purposes. I reset my Hydra2 install a couple months back so my stats aren't exactly good from historical use, but I'm at 62% Geek, 14% Slug, 12% Finder, 10% Planet and the others like <2%.

yeah i understand why there's a no invite discussion because it quickly devolves into begging on places like reddit, but this thread gets like 3 posts a month these days and goon pop is like a fraction of what it once was that i don't think it'd be a big deal if someone new pops in wanting some recs or ones to try out. when i was getting into usenet again after a (very very long hiatus), the cult of secrecy poo poo (especially nzbs.in which ended up being really overrated for the secrecy-premium that it commands such that even reddit bans/edits out of posts for even mentioning, like loving lol) is really kinda dumb in this age when it's pretty much a dying-stagnant thing. makes a bit more sense for things like private trackers where everyone is expected to maintain some sharing torrent ratio -- but the real secret is people can get 99% of stuff just from easy, accessible, and cheaper places like Geek/Planet/etc.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 30, 2020

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Xaris posted:

yeah i understand why there's a no invite discussion because it quickly devolves into begging on places like reddit, but this thread gets like 3 posts a month these days and goon pop is like a fraction of what it once was that i don't think it'd be a big deal if someone new pops in wanting some recs or ones to try out.
If you want to know how the thread would without invite discussion disallowed, then imaging the same amount of on-topic posts as now but spread out more as there'd be a 90% post increase along the lines of "gibe invite plox". That's roughly how it was.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Heners_UK posted:

NZBGet, I'm still only getting 45MB/s on a 1gbps connection.

A few fixes helped here in NZBGet settings:
* Added a 128MB article cache in Dowload Queue settings - using larger doesn't appear to help necessarily.
* DirectWrite was already enabled in Dowload Queue settings
* Added a 2048KB write buffer in Dowload Queue settings (double the recomendation, not sure if doubling helps)
* Ended up just using default cipher
* Checked Unraid was actually using the SSD - it was.

I've got it up to 80MB/s on annecdotal tests using Newsdemon and Newshosting (both simultaneously). I think there's more I can do frankly as a quick speedtest within a VM and in another docker indicates that my Gigabit connection is getting 800-900mbits (roughy 100-115MB/s)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Heners_UK posted:

* Added a 128MB article cache in Dowload Queue settings - using larger doesn't appear to help necessarily.
* Added a 2048KB write buffer in Dowload Queue settings (double the recomendation, not sure if doubling helps)

I've got it up to 80MB/s on annecdotal tests using Newsdemon and Newshosting (both simultaneously). I think there's more I can do frankly as a quick speedtest within a VM and in another docker indicates that my Gigabit connection is getting 800-900mbits (roughy 100-115MB/s)

Have you tried SABNZB? I found it worked a lot better on my Synology NAS.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Keito posted:

If you want to know how the thread would without invite discussion disallowed, then imaging the same amount of on-topic posts as now but spread out more as there'd be a 90% post increase along the lines of "gibe invite plox". That's roughly how it was.

Out of curiosity how does one actually get an invite to a random place if they can't discuss it? Not saying the rule here is bad, I think it makes sense, but I genuinely have interest in joining a place that only does invites (or applications) and I don't know of any avenues today (Discord, Reddit etc..) that allow for such information exchange. For someone who doesn't have IRL friends that do this stuff, and not really being able to discuss it amongst my fake online friends, I'm kinda out of options.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I would suggest signing up when they aren't invite only, and if that never happens, pick one of the alternatives where that does happen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bank posted:

Out of curiosity how does one actually get an invite to a random place if they can't discuss it? Not saying the rule here is bad, I think it makes sense, but I genuinely have interest in joining a place that only does invites (or applications) and I don't know of any avenues today (Discord, Reddit etc..) that allow for such information exchange. For someone who doesn't have IRL friends that do this stuff, and not really being able to discuss it amongst my fake online friends, I'm kinda out of options.

Plexaholics on Facebook group often has people trading invites. That group can be a bit much at times though.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Heners_UK posted:

I'm not sure if it means anything, but i'm on newsdemon and today i've noticed my speeds are absolutely crippled.

I haven't actually been using it daily but i typically get about 8MB/s downloads while today it's struggling to get above 700KB/s.

I've got a 5G connection and i'm getting normal speeds on everything else (though my plex server is also acting a little sluggish for streaming), but i'm not sure if i'm suddenly getting my traffic throttled (it's been 9 months and no throttling so far) or if something specific is going on with newsdemon.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Kin posted:

I'm not sure if it means anything, but i'm on newsdemon and today i've noticed my speeds are absolutely crippled.

I haven't actually been using it daily but i typically get about 8MB/s downloads while today it's struggling to get above 700KB/s.

I've got a 5G connection and i'm getting normal speeds on everything else (though my plex server is also acting a little sluggish for streaming), but i'm not sure if i'm suddenly getting my traffic throttled (it's been 9 months and no throttling so far) or if something specific is going on with newsdemon.

Just tested and I'm getting a consistent 10.7 MB/s, through newsdemon, which is what I have NZBget throttled to.

edit: is this a conversation about a specific OS setup? The thread moves too slow for me to remember what's going on.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Just tested and I'm getting a consistent 10.7 MB/s, through newsdemon, which is what I have NZBget throttled to.

edit: is this a conversation about a specific OS setup? The thread moves too slow for me to remember what's going on.

For me, I was hoping to see if anyone else was getting issues with speeds using newsdemon. I've never had an issue until today, but I've tried a number of things to get the speed back up such as changing ports, using a VPN, etc without any joy.

If it isn't newsdemon, It seems like my network (Three) has somehow started throttling all of my usenet traffic despite the above SSL/VPN combo.

edit: And now it's not being throttled.

I was seeing speed drops on two different machines, once using SABnzbd and the other GetNZB and now both are back up and running again so it definitely feels like something odd was happening this evening.

Kin fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 4, 2020

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Is anyone running Lidarr with Beets to manage your library? I recently made the switch from iTunes to Beets, and am wondering if there's any surefire way to have it play nice with Lidarr.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Well poo poo, looks like nzb.su is gone. Time to find another indexer!

e: never mind, I’m an idiot that didn’t check DNS on his SAB server.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 6, 2020

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Is anyone running Lidarr with Beets to manage your library? I recently made the switch from iTunes to Beets, and am wondering if there's any surefire way to have it play nice with Lidarr.

I don't use Lidarr (just too many different release versions to try and manage), but I also manually run everything through the Picard MusicBrainz client to true up metadata before dumping into my Plex library, does Beets automate that process? i.e. if I point it at my current music directory can I start blindly throwing folders in there and Beets will tag them up and grab album art and whatnot?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Takes No Damage posted:

I don't use Lidarr (just too many different release versions to try and manage), but I also manually run everything through the Picard MusicBrainz client to true up metadata before dumping into my Plex library, does Beets automate that process? i.e. if I point it at my current music directory can I start blindly throwing folders in there and Beets will tag them up and grab album art and whatnot?

Yes, it does all the legwork for you, and has a boatload of plugins to do pretty much anything imaginable. Being that it's all Python/CLI though there's a bit of a learning curve that took me a few days to clear with some trial and error (of course backup first!). With some scripting you can automate it to your heart's content.

My whole reason to switch from iTunes library management was because I've moved to Plex serving all my music, and Beets does much better organizing/tagging/etc. for Plex to read.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Yes, it does all the legwork for you, and has a boatload of plugins to do pretty much anything imaginable. Being that it's all Python/CLI though there's a bit of a learning curve that took me a few days to clear with some trial and error (of course backup first!). With some scripting you can automate it to your heart's content.

My whole reason to switch from iTunes library management was because I've moved to Plex serving all my music, and Beets does much better organizing/tagging/etc. for Plex to read.

Interesting, I'll check it out. I see from the Getting Started section of their webpage it can be set up to only touch metadata, not copy or move any of the files themselves. I already have a kind of 2-step config for my music library (I set everything up in a local folder that gets rsync'd to the Plex library on the NAS every night), if I can have this just sit there running as a service and keep an eye on the tags in the local copy that should automatically flow up to Plex every day without my having to manually MusicBrainz it first.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I'm sure you could set it up to do that in a pinch. Personally, I run Beets on my Synology over SSH whenever I have something new to add. I have a basic script to have it collect from the various download folders on the Syno, tag, and move to my music folder. My Mac Mini runs my Plex server, and I have it scan the NAS once an hour to pick up new stuff.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Sorry if this belongs somewhere else, but this seems like a good place to ask given we're like-minded..

I use secure ports for Usenet and a seedbox in another country where things get transferred to my HTPC via SFTP. Is there any reason to get a VPN? With Black Friday coming up next month I want to keep my eyes peeled for deals just in case, but it almost seems like it might give me a headache in the long-run. I do care a bit about my privacy, but since I use Gmail/Google for a lot of stuff, they probably know tons about me already anyway. A VPN seems like it'll just muck up some of my access to websites, but I don't like the thought of being spied on.. If there's another place I should be asking this please point me to it, but would love some guidance!

(If there's a VPN provider folks could recommend I'd be all over that, too..)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
If you set up a VPN correctly, and it's shouldn't cause problems per se. However do use SSL from downloading via usetnet. It'ss encrypted traffic that's good enough. The different in say VPN+Bittorrent is bittorrent is unencrypted and amongst hundreds of peers. so it's easy to get DMCA notices out the wazoo (that said DMCA notices are an absolute loving joke, still, it's probably better not to get them) whereas SSL Usenet is encrypted between client-server so either the server would have to be compromised or your client would have to be compromised.

One problem with VPN is that they can be speed-limited so if you have a Gigabit fiber connection or something it's possible the VPN will induce a bigger limit on speed. Thata said when I used NordVPN for bittorrenting I stil got pretty drat good speeds from it. Personally I don't see a reason to pay for a VPN for usenet, but if you want to setup Deluge or something as a torrent fallback in Sonarr/Radar incase Usenet fails to find something, then definitely set one up for that.

It sounds like your foreign seedbox to htpc transfer is already a step way above 99% percentile in protecting, again just use SSL for downloading and transferring and you won't have a problem. That's not to say there's no way ever it can't be tracked but unless you're the president of a major country or something to that degree, then the amount of effort anyone would have to do single you out would be insane.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 18, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Big changelog today, but the one that stuck out to me was you can now add a show with just Pilot episode monitoring. Super useful, as I have a big folder full of these shows I've done by hand over the years, and now I can just have Sonarr do it in one click.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

EL BROMANCE posted:

Big changelog today, but the one that stuck out to me was you can now add a show with just Pilot episode monitoring. Super useful, as I have a big folder full of these shows I've done by hand over the years, and now I can just have Sonarr do it in one click.

Me too, never thought of this functionality but now it's there I'll use it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Why would you just want just the pilot episode of a bunch of shows? Couldn't you always just choose a single episode to be monitored? Am I completely not understanding what you are talking about?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
You may not like the show... And therefore don't have to delete it all. Or you never get round to watching it and don't want to store it all because you've forgotten.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s more that it’s now a default option on the add show screen so you don’t have to go into the show itself and manually monitor/unmonitor episodes. It’s not a big new feature or anything, just a ‘hey that’s useful’ one.

Plus it means I can filter down the shows I only ever set to Pilot and then flush them easily as necessary.

E: posted at same time as dude above.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
That's what I was curious about, but it looks like that's exactly what it is.

https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/issues/3768

I guess it's great if you like exploring on your own, but I hate wasting time on pilots and would rather wait for folks to review at least the first season of something before watching it.

Besides, I can think of at least a few shows I end up loving that have terrible pilots.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve told my friends already ‘hey you might see a bunch of shows go up with just one episode more than usual, let me know if you want more’. Crowd sourcing my recommendation engine!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
NGD $7/TB Blocks

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Can somebody explain this to me? I have been thinking about trying Usenet for a while but am on some private trackers so having to pay to get involved and lack of clear instructions around Usenet have been off putting. Im only just seeing we have this thread and OP seems better than anything else ive seen though, is it still up to date?

Am I paying to download 1TB of data only and will need to by more when i hit the limit? Do i need to pay for some other membership to access (i see something about a free trial..) of is it unlimited access till i hit the limit? Would this be a good deal / indexer for a new user?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Mr. Crow posted:

Am I paying to download 1TB of data only and will need to by more when i hit the limit?

Yes.

Mr. Crow posted:

Do i need to pay for some other membership to access (i see something about a free trial..) of is it unlimited access till i hit the limit?

The free trial is unrelated to this block account, you get 1TB of unlimited (speed) access.