Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Azerbaijan launched an invasion of Nagorno-Karabakh (which is technically part of Azerbajian but really a part of Armenia) today with the apparent backing of Turkey. This is the most recent development in the frozen conflict since the clashes along the Azeri-Armenian border in July and perhaps is an even greater escalation than the a four day quasi-war in 2016 that ended in a stalemate. It's the first declared war between two sovereign states since Russia's invasion of Georgia.

Many view this as an extension of the Turkish-Russian proxy conflict already playing out in Libya and Syria. Armenian sources are accusing Turkey of funneling Syrian fighters into Azerbaijan and providing F-16 cover, whereas the Azeris have expressed alarm at Russia's alleged covert rearmament program in Armenia. Russia has just concluded the Kavkaz-2020 joint exercises with Iran and Armenia simulating a naval invasion in the Caspian Sea (no points for guessing who that is aimed it) while Turkey's relationship with Armenia is uh, well,

DOES this conflict continue to escalate?

WHAT does this say about America's ability to enforce peace globally?

WILL this retroactively justify all those panic purchases you made back in March?

WHEN will Tupac kill the marauding Turk with rap magic?

ALL THIS... and more!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/KimKardashian/status/1310278055768846338
Cross posting from trump thread
Anyways things are about to get extremely normal

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/presidentaz/status/507430784710361088?s=20

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I really wonder what are the forces at work stoking the fire of this conflict, there’s no way a guy like Aliyev would think he can start poo poo without getting some form of guarantee... what’s the bigger picture here.... there’s no way this whole thing is just about some tiny strip of nowhere land no one gives a poo poo about.... was there some form of gas reserves discovered? Trouble domestic events happening in Azerbaijan so Aliyev had to lash out to distract people?! I wonder...

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 20:40 on Sep 27, 2020

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The gas deposits are in the Med, and that's why Greece and Turkey have been more confrontational than normal recently

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/Emil_Em1/status/507621572073365506?s=19

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Atrocious Joe posted:

The gas deposits are in the Med, and that's why Greece and Turkey have been more confrontational than normal recently

Well yes I know I’m just wondering what’s causing this conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia and their respective backers

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Erdogan needs a win. Libya is a quagmire, Syrian intervention did not go off as planned, Greeks have diplomatic advantage in the Aegean.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Erdogan needs a win. Libya is a quagmire, Syrian intervention did not go off as planned, Greeks have diplomatic advantage in the Aegean.

stop buying candles invading places then

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
choose your fighter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYTJpWJ-lXM

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKA9xJx-NKg

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Armenia did not embrace heavy metal sad.

Hopefully this brief warfare gets everybody less angry as is the custom.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

this dude seems pretty cool though

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Armenians and us Greeks are naturel allies but that Azeri video was so much better. I am now confuse.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Nonsense posted:

:wrong: https://youtu.be/xqrsHQvp4TU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Thar Azeri video and song sucks. First one good

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Another part of the world that I have to learn something about? I don't think so.

Nice try thread.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

paul_soccer12 posted:

i agree

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/Sturgeons_Law/status/1310297138308370432

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
does anyone else remember when baked alaska's "bodyguard" picked a fight with a group of armenian gangbangers in L.A. and got stabbed a bunch of times? anyways

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
geopolitics are so complicated :psyduck:

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

paul_soccer12 posted:

The first one looks like some Armenian's cocaine ideas after playing some call of duty.

The second one is too polished and lacking soul, like a Disney remake.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

the moderate rebels are here to party

https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1310289755213619200?s=19

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Dante80 posted:

Armenians and us Greeks are naturel allies but that Azeri video was so much better. I am now confuse.

azeris can’t even make the tanks fire on beat. terrible.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

jfc eurovision really did a number on these countries

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
i dated an armenian girl and her dad was a real jerk but her mom was a sweet lady so

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

The naval rivalry between Greece and Turkey over oil drilling sounds about as nonviolent as the bloody Cod War.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Very :nms: Armenian vid of the aftermath of an Azeri mechanized assault. Shows several corpses including a BMP that got turned into a crematorium.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
are there any videos from the azerbaijani side or have they literally spent the entire day getting owned by various armenian missiles

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1310147154187636737

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

sum posted:

Very :nms: Armenian vid of the aftermath of an Azeri mechanized assault. Shows several corpses including a BMP that got turned into a crematorium.
yeesh

i wonder what kind of ATGMs they were using

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Those drat caucasians! :argh:

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The Caucasusian *checks notes* drill and blast zone

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

yeesh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_Armenian_Armed_Forces#Anti-tank_weapons

Some of the footage looks like Kornet missiles are used.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
so, like, every ATGM in the russian export inventory over the past 20 years. good to know!

probably remote-detonated IEDs and anti-tank mines in the mix too. tune in tomorrow for another edition of bellingsquat.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

yeesh

Fun(?) fact about BMPs is that they were designed for the battlefield of WWIII Germany with the expectation that any disabling shot would kill everyone inside due to chemical/radioactive exposure. Consequently the designers de-emphasized the survivability of the crew and passengers in case it was knocked out because they assumed everyone inside would be dead men anyway. This lead to design decisions such as storing ammunition in the passenger compartment and putting fuel tanks in the doors (!!!!). Anyway point being is that they're even more of a death trap than a normal lightly armored AFV.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

sum posted:

Fun(?) fact about BMPs is that they were designed for the battlefield of WWIII Germany with the expectation that any disabling shot would kill everyone inside due to chemical/radioactive exposure. Consequently the designers de-emphasized the survivability of the crew and passengers in case it was knocked out, because they assumed that they would be dead men anyway. This lead to design decisions such as storing ammunition in the passenger compartment and putting fuel in the doors (!!!!). Anyway point being is that they're even more of a death trap than a normal lightly armored AFV.

:stonk:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

so, like, every ATGM in the russian export inventory over the past 20 years.

With some Frenchies sprinkled in for good measure.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

sum posted:

Anyway point being is that they're even more of a death trap than a normal lightly armored AFV.

All IFVs back then were death traps. Hell, the M113 for instance was made with 5083 Aluminum
Also, those fuel tanks in the doors were routinely filled with sand in service..for some weird reason. :D

Dante80 has issued a correction as of 22:17 on Sep 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

sum posted:

Fun(?) fact about BMPs is that they were designed for the battlefield of WWIII Germany with the expectation that any disabling shot would kill everyone inside due to chemical/radioactive exposure. Consequently the designers de-emphasized the survivability of the crew and passengers in case it was knocked out because they assumed everyone inside would be dead men anyway. This lead to design decisions such as storing ammunition in the passenger compartment and putting fuel tanks in the doors (!!!!). Anyway point being is that they're even more of a death trap than a normal lightly armored AFV.
yeah they weren't even thinking about the tactical level as much as they were ruthlessly reinforcing success via massive, operational-level breakthroughs across the whole north german plain. it's not something you can picture on a photograph. like, they were imagining losing 100 vehicles in one area -- just hit with a nuke etc. -- and then would plan for saying, well that didn't work, and pull the survivors toward another area where 500 vehicles just rolled over NATO and just keep driving. whereas this is like rugged, hilly trench warfare.