Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The entire TdF was just to lull people into a false sense of security for the Worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

He was already world champion of my heart

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
:siren: Michael Matthews wins a wasteman sprint for like 9th at Worlds :siren:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

WVA showing precisely why he shouldn't have been expecting a group to work effectively with him

Imo he should look into being good at only one out of: sprinting, climbing, time trialing. Instead of being good at all three

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
good, very good in fact

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Really is bizarre and I hope someone asks Wout in an interview why he didnt help close Alaphilippe down straight away instead of sitting up and giving him 15 seconds of a buffer.

Did he honestly think any of those riders would drag him back?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Excellent result for Hirschi.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Hirschi got bronze :hellyeah:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

serious gaylord posted:

Wout refusing to chase right at the start cost him the worlds lol.

i know it's easier said than done but that's a case where he had to attack that group, maybe take one guy with him for the "even if I lose the sprint I'm guaranteed a medal" factor

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lol Sean Kelly is sticking the boot into him for precisely that.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i know it's easier said than done but that's a case where he had to attack that group, maybe take one guy with him for the "even if I lose the sprint I'm guaranteed a medal" factor

Its not even that, he just had to put 3 decent turns in and they'd have got him back. Instead he sat up for 2km and then got surprised when no-one was fully committing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

:siren: Michael Matthews wins a wasteman sprint for like 9th at Worlds :siren:

how many times has this happened btw, it's probably fewer than i remember, but

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

how many times has this happened btw, it's probably fewer than i remember, but

Been on the podium lots after the winner has hosed off up the road.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's traditionally second or third isn't he?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
No, there's not only 36 finishers it's just that it's only been 5 minutes since the winner finished and they're still coming in

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's been a long old day on the road.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
40 year-old Valverde remains the least fail Spaniard.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if you take out Leblanc and Brochard because, you know, Festina (probably unfair, but still), the last French champ was Hinault lol

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

serious gaylord posted:

And here come the French. Can't wait to see Alaphilippes 300m attack before cracking.

serious gaylord posted:

Never doubted my personal hero Julian Alaphilippe.

Lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i hope he fucks poo poo up in a QS Worlds kit

I kinda feel bad for Mads, he wasn't really a bad champ but he barely got to wear it and was mostly on stage race domestique work when he did

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

silver in both the tt and road race is pretty good. less than a minute away from being double champ.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

serious gaylord posted:

Really is bizarre and I hope someone asks Wout in an interview why he didnt help close Alaphilippe down straight away instead of sitting up and giving him 15 seconds of a buffer.

Did he honestly think any of those riders would drag him back?

Apparently according to Belgian Twitter, Roglic should have collaborated with Wout since they're trade teammates (isn't that against the UCI rules for worlds anyway?), and they're acting like Roglic stabbed him in the back.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Dear Belgian Twitter,

Nobody in that group had anything left in the tank except Wout, as shown by him easily sprinting from the front and winning by a couple bike lengths.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

paperwind posted:

Roglic should have collaborated with Wout since they're trade teammates (isn't that against the UCI rules for worlds anyway?)

There’s no way they could bust him for it, since it would be good for everyone in the group.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't know if it's against the rules but it's not really common practice anymore

Reminded that Freddy Martens once claimed that Eddy Merckx was under orders to chase him down because Martens was running Shimano gears and Eddy was buddies with Tulio lol

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:
Didn't get to watch this one live but I'm very happy for my good friend Julian. He will be fun in the rainbow bands.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

HappyCamperGL posted:

silver in both the tt and road race is pretty good. less than a minute away from being double champ.

2nd is just first loser.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Pro Cycling: The Assassination of Wout Van Aert by the Coward Primoz Roglic

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

NTT are officially out, team has two months to find a new title sponsor.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Belgian Twitter: Roglic should have paid back all the help, Kwiatkowski did nothing, :qq:

Alaphilippe:

https://twitter.com/OutOfCycling/status/1310655245991763968

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Jesus

Naeson could move his right leg after a crash so he got pushed to the finish while cycling with the other leg

https://twitter.com/sporza_koers/status/1310956682374242305?s=19

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

getting assistance from another team. should be a fine and time penalty incoming.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

wanty-gobert have bought ccc's license. so they will be world tour from next year.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Jumbo have shitcanned Gronewegen until next year with a giant asterix over his return. It all depends on what the UCI hit him with.

Word is hes going to get a 12 month ban.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Jumbo have shitcanned Gronewegen until next year with a giant asterix over his return. It all depends on what the UCI hit him with.

Word is hes going to get a 12 month ban.

So he’ll actually serve what, 6 months of that, considering his injury?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
12 months of racing fixtures that will probably all have lengthy footnotes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think the ban would take him up to the end of his contract.

I dunno he might come out of this with a fine instead who knows with the UCI

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I turn this on 30 minutes in and there’s already a 7:30 break?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

After being out front forever Vansevenant crashes with about 4K to go and loses almost all of his time.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

being in the break all day then crashing with 4k to go and a 35s lead over the peloton. brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Uran can’t believe his luck