Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

otter posted:

Honest question coming from the world's cheapest man here.
Is there a reason besides cost to use virtualbox over parallels?
I tried VB and I swear it tried to violate me.

It devoured my virtual machines and crapped out unuseable, unbootable wastes of hard drive space and won't even apologize.
I am now subscribing to Parallels on the upgrade deal since I bought it way back in 2009ish and it even let me build a windows 95, 98, ME, and 2000 machines to try to play Red Alert before I learned that OpenRA was a thing and that I was completely wasting my time. (I actually got Parallels to run my printer/scanner, and old versions of Roxio Toast, blu-ray authoring and acrobat pro that are no longer supported in 64 bit so i have a sweet rear end Sierra virtual machine.)

I think the frustration saved per hour far outpaced the whatever it was, $45/year subscription and I hate shelling out for anything.

personally I like it because it works out of the box with vagrant, but I rarely interact with VB itself when I use vagrant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

otter posted:

Honest question coming from the world's cheapest man here.
Is there a reason besides cost to use virtualbox over parallels?
I tried VB and I swear it tried to violate me.

It devoured my virtual machines and crapped out unuseable, unbootable wastes of hard drive space and won't even apologize.
I am now subscribing to Parallels on the upgrade deal since I bought it way back in 2009ish and it even let me build a windows 95, 98, ME, and 2000 machines to try to play Red Alert before I learned that OpenRA was a thing and that I was completely wasting my time. (I actually got Parallels to run my printer/scanner, and old versions of Roxio Toast, blu-ray authoring and acrobat pro that are no longer supported in 64 bit so i have a sweet rear end Sierra virtual machine.)

I think the frustration saved per hour far outpaced the whatever it was, $45/year subscription and I hate shelling out for anything.

It has no advantage, it sucks

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

One last thing about the Security Updates and 10.15.7..

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211849

The info on this page indicates that a bug in Apple Mail in 10.13.6 only was addressed, and while they didn't say Bluetooth was patched, they thanked someone for pointing something out, which leads to me to conclude they didn't want to identify where they applied a fix.

A bug with the app Sandbox was fixed across all three OSes.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

the real question is, who the hell is running linux in a VM where they need sound...or a GUI :lol:

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Matt Zerella posted:

the real question is, who the hell is running linux in a VM where they need sound...or a GUI :lol:

Both of the other people in the world besides me that have the tin box Quake 3 Arena retail for linux?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Matt Zerella posted:

Sound is active on a VM by default....

Also the stupid RHCSA s study guide “installl server with GUI”

I really hope people aren’t practicing what this guide is using for examples

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Can Parallels spin up a BootCamp partition in a window like VMware can?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Sound is active on a VM by default....

Also the stupid RHCSA s study guide “installl server with GUI”

I really hope people aren’t practicing what this guide is using for examples

My coworker is doing AWS training and they want him to spin up windows instances and load balance IIS. So yeah, do it for the cert I guess, sorry to sound so flippant.

Ive repurposed an old i5 system as a Proxmox host and I do all my VM work there now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ziploc posted:

Can Parallels spin up a BootCamp partition in a window like VMware can?

Yes

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

My coworker is doing AWS training and they want him to spin up windows instances and load balance IIS. So yeah, do it for the cert I guess, sorry to sound so flippant.

Ive repurposed an old i5 system as a Proxmox host and I do all my VM work there now.

Yea I just have to turn my brain off. I’ve been using linux for the last twenty years I just decided to start getting some certs to open up some doors. The only place I’ve worked that had more than a handful of linux servers used to chmod 777 and everyone in the IT department logged in as root.

I have a SFF HP elitedesk with an SSD and a bunch of ram in it that I play around with VMware on but it’s nice to have a VM on my MacBook as well.

I mean really there isn’t much difference since it’s just in the other room... just whining about how unstable vbox is

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Bob Morales posted:

The only place I’ve worked that had more than a handful of linux servers used to chmod 777 and everyone in the IT department logged in as root.

I was going to make a crack about "must have been government work" but it brings back painful memories of trying to convince the state to stop paying microsoft 8 figures per year for windows and office when you can do practically everything through native linux apps and a web browser especially now that they are transitioning all of their legacy apps to the web based apps and half of those are just run out of an emulated 3270 terminal to begin with. The others are just databases for narrations of case data that could relatively easily be ported to a native linux client.

They would have saved the money from porting the clients over in a year just for the windows 7 update debacle which was followed immediately by the windows 10 update debacle... Now I work for a contractor to the state who does things even worse.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Huh. I saw that VMWare Fusion 12 had been released a few weeks ago (with Big Sur support), but didn't see till just now that the licensing has changed. They now have a free-for-personal-use version ("Player") and a more-expensive-than-before "Pro" version. Judging by the feature list comparison, Player should meet needs for a lot of people.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

otter posted:

I was going to make a crack about "must have been government work”

Manufacturing, metal shop.

Random collection of CentOS 6/7 versions, a few RHEL 5’s, no windows domain (but windows clients), MS access apps accessing databases across multiple MySQL servers (combining them would make too much sense and make things too easy), all physical servers (no VMware), just a total shitshow. Bash script backups for production data to usb hard drives, no directory services (each server had its own users), rsync’ed file servers across locations, and the best was a VB program that scanned each MySQL table for changes and kept each location in sync!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Bob Morales posted:

Random collection of CentOS 6/7 versions, a few RHEL 5’s, no windows domain (but windows clients), MS access apps accessing databases across multiple MySQL servers (combining them would make too much sense and make things too easy), all physical servers (no VMware), just a total shitshow. Bash script backups for production data to usb hard drives, no directory services (each server had its own users), rsync’ed file servers across locations, and the best was a VB program that scanned each MySQL table for changes and kept each location in sync!

Ah, CentOS. I remember when it came out we called it the RedHatted Stepchild. :rimshot:. Prior to my government work I worked for a small ISP that had a closet NOC like you describe. it was a costco storage rack like in my garage but with beige boxes stacked on it 2 deep, 2 high. It was in that room that I spied the first version of what would become OSX in late spring of 2000. It was being used as a server for live video feed of the local fireworks show that year. Good times. I feel old now. I didn't own an OSX box until I got my G4 Cube in 2002.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

“ssh keys? I never could get those to work...”

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

BobHoward posted:

Huh. I saw that VMWare Fusion 12 had been released a few weeks ago (with Big Sur support), but didn't see till just now that the licensing has changed. They now have a free-for-personal-use version ("Player") and a more-expensive-than-before "Pro" version. Judging by the feature list comparison, Player should meet needs for a lot of people.

Huh neat I literally just today installed the Parallel trial to see if using an old app I used to run in Wine was worth $45. It’s just a work time saver, but if VMWare has a free solution that’s awesome.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

WHY do I update virtualbox?

The latest 6.1 won't start my Linux VM's if I have sound enabled. wtf

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=99762

Also lichess is broken in safari in iOS 14 :argh:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

yesss, I think I just got a BINGO

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BobHoward posted:

Is the Player version able to update VMs? If I install a new application or create some documents do they persist between reloads? Because I remember VM Viewer from ages ago and VMs were immutable.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Over four goddamned hours on the latest i5 MacBook Air to install the 12.0.1 *point* release of Xcode:

Like what in god's name is this thing doing that could take this long?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
transmit or forklift?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Okay, and for the record I apologize for being quite so abrasive. However, I stand by the fact that you need to handle this offsite, especially considering your power constraints

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Is the Player version able to update VMs? If I install a new application or create some documents do they persist between reloads? Because I remember VM Viewer from ages ago and VMs were immutable.

That was my first thought too, but their feature comparison says that Player can do almost everything Pro can. The exceptions are encrypted VMs, advanced network config, and other enterprise-y sounding things.

"Player" is an odd product name. Even if you don't know about the old Viewer product, it suggests many more limitations than the feature list shows. Would've been better to call it "Lite".

oh, and for clarification since I think I was a little fuzzy on this before, Player isn't always free. You have to pay for it if you plan to use it in a professional context, and the price is higher than a non-Pro VMWare Fusion license used to be. The free license requires accepting a special license agreement where you promise it's for personal use only.

Since I don't have to lie at all to make that promise, I downloaded it and was going to try it out, but it turns out that Fusion 12 requires Catalina or later. Guess who decided to skip Catalina altogether?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That's good to know. I can step off the Professional upgrade treadmill then.

My use is 100% personal as well, as I only have the one VM for Win 10 stuff. Everything else is either THE CLOUD or running on a local ESX box.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

barkbell posted:

transmit or forklift?
Some usage context would probably be useful for someone that knows one or the other. Transmit is probably more mature since it's been around longer. The older version of ForkLift was fine for me before, but I had pretty simple needs.

That old version of ForkLift is free on the App Store and still works afaik, might as well try it out:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/forklift-file-manager-and-ftp-sftp-webdav-amazon-s3-client/id412448059?mt=12

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Was using Dropbox to sync stuff, but finding that the free version is a pain to sync with files larger than 1gb. May be my internet at fault, not sure.

Anyone using one of those roll your own cloud services like BitTorrent sync that they can recommend? Bonus points if you can send the files to someone externally.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

barkbell posted:

transmit or forklift?

I prefer Transmit. It’s worth the money if you use FTP a lot.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Transmit is really good software and totally worth the price of admission IMO.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Remember cyberduck? Hopefully not.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
for sftp. ya cyberduck i didnt like when i tried it 10 years ago. fetch was good in 1998 tho

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

the_lion posted:

Was using Dropbox to sync stuff, but finding that the free version is a pain to sync with files larger than 1gb. May be my internet at fault, not sure.

Anyone using one of those roll your own cloud services like BitTorrent sync that they can recommend? Bonus points if you can send the files to someone externally.
I use Resilio Sync (formerly BitTorrent Sync) daily. Works great even when the connection isn't. You can share files and folders with other people, but that requires them to also install Resilio Sync. Tends to be a dealbreaker for whatever reason, even though they can use the free version.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

Remember cyberduck? Hopefully not.
They've got another app called Mountain Duck that I find really useful for mounting network volumes and integrating them nicely into Finder.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

barkbell posted:

for sftp. ya cyberduck i didnt like when i tried it 10 years ago. fetch was good in 1998 tho
Fetch is still around! And has this wacky story behind it:

quote:

Fetch Softworks was founded by Jim Matthews, who wrote Fetch as an employee of Dartmouth College. The first version of Fetch was created in 1989 and was intended primarily for the college’s internal use. Eventually, Dartmouth made Fetch available as shareware for general users and free for educational and charitable organizations. Over the years Fetch became widely used throughout the world, providing its users with a stable means for transferring files over the Internet.

In December 2000, Jim had the opportunity to participate on the Who Wants to be a Millionaire show with Regis Philbin. He used some of his show winnings to purchase Fetch’s source code and name from Dartmouth College and launch Fetch Softworks, so that the product could be enhanced and marketed independently.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God I remember supporting Fetch for elderly dialup customers who were attempting to graduate from AOL

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://mrmacintosh.com/mojave-2020-005-security-update-causing-major-problems-updated/

The new Mojave update is causing all sorts of fuckups; can't create any new users, at boot there's less than 2-3 GB of free RAM on 16 GB machines, 8 GB machines have almost no RAM for apps, programs like cDock don't work..

Could be because it's the weekend, but Apple hasn't pulled the update, allowing yet even more Mojave users to experience the joys of having no RAM.

One person said Apple just told them to upgrade to Catalina, that'll fix it.

(It did but he couldn't run any of his 32 bit apps soooooo..)

Current workarounds include using time machine snapshots to roll back to just before, reinstalling Mojave from the recovery partition, or the aforementioned upgrade to Catalina

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 28, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Binary Badger posted:

What about those of us that have macs that can't update to Catalina? loving Apple.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Has anyone here tried Swift Playgrounds on an older Macbook? On my 2015 MBP the fans immediately go to 100% and my battery starts draining like crazy. The app seems super slow, too, so i'm just going to use it on my iPad. It seems like this isn't an isolated issue (https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/129167), is this because it's a Catalyst app?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

TACD posted:

They've got another app called Mountain Duck that I find really useful for mounting network volumes and integrating them nicely into Finder.

Holy poo poo thank you

Binary Badger posted:

(It did but he couldn't run any of his 32 bit apps soooooo..)

Yeah for anyone who thought this was going to be as nice and simple/easy as the transition from PPC, well, uh, the ecosystem has grown and evolved quite a bit since then and Apple will have a vested interest in making sure customers paying for *new* hardware are the ones supported, and this whole mess is over as quickly as possible, thank you very much.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 28, 2020

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

What about those of us that have macs that can't update to Catalina? loving Apple.

It was someone tweeting at @AppleSupport, so some intern assigned to the account tweeted back a platitude and generic advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rleonis
Apr 3, 2010
I updated Mojave on my backup laptop (to 004 security update) and, it started to feel slow also safari "the webpage was reloaded" on certain websites. Awful.

Speaking about their update to Catalina, i have latest macbook air and after i Catalina update it started to shutdown and after reboot show weird "BAD MAGIC", now it's on repair and Apple agreed to replace logic board for me.

https://borncity.com/win/2020/01/22/macos-catalina-bad-magic-iboot-panic-header-bug/

rleonis fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 28, 2020