Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SoR Blaze posted:

As someone who is a big Ratchet and Clank fan, and has played almost every game in the series (excluding the early gen mobile games and 2 of the poorly received ps3 games), I can tell you that the ps4 reboot is probably the overall best in the series. It refines a lot of good ideas from the ps3 era and is really good. It's only glaring flaw is that one of the weapons was a pre-order bonus that you can't get anymore, but the arsenal the game sets you up with is kind of a greatest hits of the series. That's definitely the one to play

My one complaint is the story is a bit too blatantly movie-tie-in-game at times, and there's some bits that look like scenes from the movie rushed together with gameplay stuck between them like Quark's allegiances flip-flopping over a span of like half an hour. On the whole though, it's still a fantastic game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

SiKboy posted:

In the Yakuza 5 page, it has this tip:

which is kind of misleading/not technically correct. I would suggest replacing it with

"In chapter 3, do not open any key lockers as Haruka, as she cant use the contents and her inventory is separate from the rest of the characters until post game. You can still pick them up however, as any she collects are shared with the other character in the chapter and he can use them to open the lockers".

As pretty much the first thing I did in the chapter is pick up a key with Haruka (out of reflex, see shiny, pick up shiny) then I remembered the tip and regretted it, but its actually fine, when the game lets you use the other character in the chapter he had the key Haruka had picked up. Its not picking them up thats the problem, its USING them you should avoid.

Thank you - I've replaced the tip.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

MockingQuantum posted:

Anything for Battle Brothers?

As others have said it is a good idea to look up some background, but if you are looking for starter tips

- It's often better to have fewer, better armed soldiers than a large number of poorly armed ones.

- Armor always takes precedent over weapons. Enemies strike fast and they strike hard, and being lightly armored is a death sentence when facing anyone but the weakest enemies. You can get some decent armor for relatively cheap.

- One handed spears give bonus to hit chance so start the guys with low accuracy out on spear/shield.

- Carry extra replacement shields with you for when your pawns' shields break, which they often do.

- Don't mess around with orcs. The goblins they use have some nasty tricks and the orcs themselves will just powderize even geared pawns if you aren't very careful. Stick with humans or the undead.

- Figure out what you want to specialize each pawn in and build them around that, especially when it comes to per-round stamina. For example, if an attack costs 40 stamina and you have 80 stamina, then you can swing twice. But if you level up and make it 81 then you're not going to get any functional benefit from it.

- Don't drive your pawns too hard in battle. There are a lot of great abilities they can use, but they exhaust your pawns quickly, and you don't want to have to take a rest round when surrounded by enemies.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 25, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Anything for Kid Icarus on the NES?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Anything for Dead by Daylight?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Scalding Coffee posted:

Anything for Kid Icarus on the NES?

I am nowhere near qualified to talk about it without some serious Wikipedia/GameFAQs study time, but the game is brutal and (iirc) requires you to grind respawning enemies for score as much as possible so you can take advantage of the treasure rooms.

Overall the Game Boy sequel is more forgiving and generally more fun to play, as it adds a lot of contemporary sensibilities from later NES/early SNES titles.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

PMush Perfect posted:

Survivor:
Time management is the most important thing. Always be doing something. Preferably a gen.
Don't stand still at a pallet; If you've got distance on the killer, loop around and circle back to the pallet.
Hit up youtube if you want to learn how to loop the killer.

Killer:
Kill.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Dead By Daylight question, how realistic is it to actually escape the killer when they're on you? It seems pretty impossible if they don't severely mess up or you don't get lucky and have a convenient place to break line of sight and juke. Is it usually just "run and waste as much of their time as possible while your friends do generators"?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Depends on the killer. Some are really strong chasers or have anti-looping abilities. There are a few strong loops in each map that if you memorize the pathing and have good reflexes and dead hard / lithe / some other chasing perk you can often last long enough that they get frustrated and leave. If you can get a loop or two and then run to the next one that's generally when the killer will break off, but even if they don't, you've wasted a ton of time that (hopefully) your teammates are capitalizing on it.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I have some more for Paper Mario: The Origami King.

• Battles get you confetti and coins, and not much else. If the battle system is grating on you, avoiding them won't impact the game. Any battle required by the plot will be unavoidable.
  • That being said, battles are one of the easier ways to get coins and confetti if you're running low.
  • When in a battle, you can open Olivia's Hint box (default button is X) and effectively stop the timer while you study the board. You won't be able to make experimental moves, but if you just wanna look at the board for awhile without losing time, this is the best way to do so.
  • The game has a pseudo-dynamic difficulty setting. Certain puzzles or challenges will become easier (sometimes for a price) if you fail more than a couple times in a row.
  • You will unlock a Toad at Shogun Studios who (after finding him) will give you free hints to any Max HP hearts you've missed. He is very hard to miss, but found next to the warp pipe for that area.
  • There are several tools found later in the game that help make 100% completion easier.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 27, 2020

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Addendum to that: The battles do get harder as the game goes on, so you probably want to at least do enough battles as you go that you get a good grasp of how the puzzling works so you're not dumped into the deep end when the difficulty increases.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

PMush Perfect posted:

Your primary goal as a killer and a survivor is to get points, and escaping is generally secondary. It's possible to hit every generator and get out immediately and still have an awful score because the game isn't for doing that, it's for terrorizing survivors to build up points, including if you are playing as one. As a survivor you should be juking your away away from the killer and doing risky moves to save fellows. And a killer you should be hooking people then walking away, so you can hit them again later. Camping hooks as a killer to prevent unhooks and doing super slow stealth to avoid getting spotted both are detrimental to your final result.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Your primary goal as a killer and a survivor is to get points, and escaping is generally secondary. It's possible to hit every generator and get out immediately and still have an awful score because the game isn't for doing that, it's for terrorizing survivors to build up points, including if you are playing as one. As a survivor you should be juking your away away from the killer and doing risky moves to save fellows. And a killer you should be hooking people then walking away, so you can hit them again later. Camping hooks as a killer to prevent unhooks and doing super slow stealth to avoid getting spotted both are detrimental to your final result.
Yeah, to me the best "Before I Play" I feel like I could tell anyone about Dead by Daylight is:
If you've ever seen a slasher movie, you're doing that. The goal is to have a round that feels like a slasher movie---narrow escapes, narrow catches, down-to-the-wire escapes or losses. The more stuff from a game that you can describe later including the word "almost," the more you've played the game as intended, and probably the more fun that you and everyone else playing had.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's a lot more counterintuitive than I expected, so good job bringing it up.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

flatluigi posted:

Addendum to that: The battles do get harder as the game goes on, so you probably want to at least do enough battles as you go that you get a good grasp of how the puzzling works so you're not dumped into the deep end when the difficulty increases.

That's a good point. The beginning battles do teach you the ropes pretty well and set you up a bit for later, more challenging puzzles. But when they get hard, they get hard (at least, for me). Especially the boss battles, which I never really got the hang of and struggled through every time.

If you aren't a fan of the puzzle battle system (and still want to play through the game for some reason), I'd refer to what's already in the Wiki and say spend the ~200 coins on Toads' Cheering to get them to perform the first move that pretty much solves the puzzle for you in every battle.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The threshold to get Toads to make the first move is 100 coins. I tested it.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The threshold to get Toads to make the first move is 100 coins. I tested it.

I can confirm this. Also check in with the Battle Toad whenever you're prompted. At some point later in the game they will give you the ability to enable basically an autowin feature for the battles if you truly hate them.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
A small one for Wasteland 3:

In combat, you can take actions with your characters in any order on your turn. You do not have to go in the order of their portraits and use up all of your squad's AP one character at a time.

That is probably obvious to most, but I thought I would mention it so that you don't discover it by accident 20 hours in like I did! I'll blame that on playing Chimera Squad shortly beforehand.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Here's something for the game Phasmophobia, the new early access VR horror game that's gaining traction. You can play both normally and in VR. If you have a VR headset, the game is said to become a 1000 times more scary. I don't have one sadly. :shobon: After playing 20 hours though, every moment is as scary as the first for me, and here's some tips I can share for those interested, cross-posted from the Horror Games Thread. I'll update this with any fixes as a few I'm not 110% sure on.

- First of all, use the in-game voice chats for the best experience.

- Your first few rounds, the EMF reader is your best friend. Simply walk around the house with it active immediately and if you get ANY signs, then the ghost will be there most of the time. Grab the video camera and set it up to check for ghost orbs. Grab the book and spirit box and place them nearby. Granted, sometimes the ghost might simply be so passive it won't give any results for awhile, so sometimes it might still be a crapshoot, and you might just need to rely on moving the camera around and hope someone in the van sees ghost orbs. Once you're able to, buy the thermometer immediately and finding the ghost gets much easier.

- Lights flicker whenever the ghost moves through them. This can be handy for tracking its movements by turning on hallway lights. Don't turn on too many though, or the breaker will flip. Or the ghost might just be a dick and flip the breaker itself.

- Lights need to be off to see spirit orbs, using the live feed camera in the van. They look like little fireflies and can be a little hard to see sometimes. Early on, one thing you can do is have someone hold the video camera (always make sure its one with right click, the light on the back will be green), and move room to room, and have someone in the van watch and check for ghost orbs.

- When it comes to talking to the ghost, whether by getting its attention normally, using the ouija board you'll find on the maps, or using the spirit box, there is a set of phrases you'll want to use. This list is decently sized, and I imagine more will be added over time. It's good practice to just use the ghost's name always from my experience. When using the spirit box, turn off all lights, though candle light will still work to get a response, and work to keep your sanity up. If the whiteboard says the ghost only likes it when people are alone, this simply means one person needs to be in the room, the rest can wait outside and nearby.

- You don't need to hold your flashlight out at all times. Hit T(I believe is the default) with another item out.

- Sanity reduces over time, draining quickly in the dark after the five minute mark once you begin the mission proper. As it gets lower, the ghost will get more aggressive. Also now, low sanity will cause all lights to flicker, with ONLY the insane player able to see it.

- The camera is your big money maker to start. There's a bone in every map(I believe, I might be wrong). Take a picture of it, then pick it up for more money at the end. Take photos of EMF readings. Take photos of fingerprints if they appear. The ghost visible? Take a picture if you are able to! Also turn on every sink you come across by clicking on the faucet, let it fill. When the ghost is active it might turn the water brown, which you take a picture of for more money. Also, one camera gets five pictures, so it might be worth someone bringing an extra camera for more photos.

- On the subject of fingerprints. Whenever something spooky happens, like a door opening/closing on its own, the ghost briefly appearing in windows, or the lights turning on/off on their own, use the UV light on the doors/windows/switches and check for green. They won't always appear though.

- The crucifix only works while it's either in the hands of who has it, or on the floor, and will only work if the ghost is within a specific distance when it starts its hunt. Basically, if you know where the ghost is (as it spends most its time haunting one room but will occasionally wander), place the crucifix on the center of the room. It will prevent the hunt twice (this could change).

- For lighting candles/smudge sticks, hold it as your main item and hit F while you have the lighter as another item. I believe if you have a lighter as your main item and lit, you hit the same key to light someone else's candle/smudge stick.

- In the truck you have an activity chart. 0 means the ghost ain't doing poo poo, 10 means it will be in Hunt Mode and the walkie-talkie comms will be disabled, with the varying numbers between serving to show how active it is at any moment. At lower numbers the ghost might simply throw stuff, walk around audibly, where high levels it will more directly mess with the players, become visible briefly, make spooky noises.

- On the subject of the ghost entering Hunt Mode, if you know where the ghost is at the moment it enters it (you'll know as all lights, including your flashlight, begin flickering hard), you'll have a eight seconds to break line of sight and go hide before it starts to gun for someone's rear end, though smudge sticks will increase this time. It will hear you if you talk, so stay quiet and pray. Closets and bathrooms make good hiding spots. Also, all doors to the outside lock, so no escaping during the hunt.

- In the end, figuring out what the ghost actually is, is only worth $10 atm. If you got other forms of evidence, such as photos, no harm in simply making an educated guess based off what you could gather and leaving. Better to lose $10 than have someone die, since when you die, you lose all extra equipment you bring along, getting refunded half the total cost as insurance.

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 1, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That is a loooot of stuff for a Before I Play. Like, 4X levels of stuff. Is all of it really necessary to know before even going in, or can some of it be discovered as you play?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
My fault, I'm afraid. I asked for that to be crossposted from the horror thread because it's good information and I don't know the game well enough to filter out what really matters. I just wanted to have it here so that we can try and figure out how to make a good wiki article from it. From streams I've watches, this is a very complex, random and often vague multiplayer game, so a lot of that can absolutely matter to you if it catches you at just the wrong moment. The game is also not big on giving you any hints it doesn't absolutely need to.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

That is a loooot of stuff for a Before I Play. Like, 4X levels of stuff. Is all of it really necessary to know before even going in, or can some of it be discovered as you play?

If we want to trim it down, speaking as someone who just started playing (I was the one who asked for tips in the Horror Game thread), these feel like stuff I wouldn't have (easily) figured out on my own, or things that seem to trip up a lot of new players:

quote:

- Use the in-game voice chats for the best experience.

- Your first few rounds, the EMF reader is your best friend. Simply walk around the house with it active immediately and if you get ANY signs, then the ghost will be there most of the time.

- Lights flicker whenever the ghost moves through them. This can be handy for tracking its movements by turning on hallway lights. Don't turn on too many though, or the breaker will flip. Or the ghost might just be a dick and flip the breaker itself.

- When it comes to talking to the ghost, whether by getting its attention normally, using the ouija board you'll find on the maps, or using the spirit box, there is a set of phrases you'll want to use. This list is decently sized, and I imagine more will be added over time. It's good practice to just use the ghost's name always from my experience.

- You don't need to hold your flashlight out at all times. Hit T(I believe is the default) with another item out.

- The crucifix only works while it's either in the hands of who has it, or on the floor, and will only work if the ghost is within a specific distance when it starts its hunt. Basically, if you know where the ghost is (as it spends most its time haunting one room but will occasionally wander), place the crucifix on the center of the room. It will prevent the hunt twice (this could change).

- In the end, figuring out what the ghost actually is, is only worth $10 atm. If you got other forms of evidence, such as photos, no harm in simply making an educated guess based off what you could gather and leaving. Better to lose $10 than have someone die, since when you die, you lose all extra equipment you bring along, getting refunded half the total cost as insurance.

- It's not currently clear if you need to have local voice chat enabled for the spirit box to work, so may be best to play it safe and assume it's needed.

The rest are useful tips, but are the sort of thing that I suspect most players would pick up after a few rounds, or do a google search for (or, potentially, stuff that would get changed in an update anyway)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Looks like we've already got a really good start on it. :) Thanks MockingQuantum.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Looks like we've already got a really good start on it. :) Thanks MockingQuantum.

It probably could be cut even more, but those are all things that (at the moment) seem to be causing a lot of confusion among new players, including some streamers that otherwise seem to have a good handle on the game. It's one that might be worth revisiting pretty soon, since the game is getting updated frequently and the dev seems to be pretty active in adding better in-game explanations on how things work.

A lot of the fun of the game for me has been figuring out some of the more esoteric stuff by trial and error, so I think it might be an easy game to over-hint, but it's also one that would be easy to bounce off of because the game isn't great at explaining stuff, like the mounted flashlight thing.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

There's like almost no useful feedback in the game because it's early access and limited knowledge is used to help make it spooky. Unless somebody tells you (or you read these kind of tips), you're basically fumbling around in the dark. The tips from Mocking's list all seem good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Speaking of overexplaining, next on my list of pages to clean up and trim down is RimWorld. It's a complex game, so I'm not gonna cut it down to just a couple tips, but some of them are redundant and/or outdated, and all of them could use better sorting.

Edit: Well, now they're organized, at least.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 1, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I agree that the article could do with some serious trimming and reworking. I don't think it has been updated since way before Royal was even a thing. Rimworld changes a lot and often very quickly, we could do with some content control there.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I sorted the existing tips into categories and removed the obviously redundant ones.

It could also definitely use something about colonist traits, because god drat is starting with Pyromaniacs a bad idea.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 1, 2020

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Anything for I, Dracula: Genesis? Being a new-ish roguelite I want to know if there are any newbie traps and such, especially when I've read 1 of the reviews saying that unlocks will make the game harder. That feels almost the same as Dead Cells/Undermine in which you shouldn't unlock stuff just because you can since you don't want to dilute the pool.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1175360/I_Dracula_Genesis/

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Spelunky 2 yet? I played the first one but only made it to the final boss once so any tips and differences would be appreciated.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
Can someone explain the new Mario 35 to me. I have had two rounds now where I had to quit in second place because it was just me and one dude playing for more than 30+ minutes, and I just don't have the time. Is there anything beyond throwing enemies at the other people?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

MussoliniB posted:

Can someone explain the new Mario 35 to me. I have had two rounds now where I had to quit in second place because it was just me and one dude playing for more than 30+ minutes, and I just don't have the time. Is there anything beyond throwing enemies at the other people?
Have you ever played the original Super Mario Bros.? Yes? No? It's fine either way.

Imagine that game. Imagine if it was a battle royale game involving up to 35 players. You can help or hinder each other. Mostly, you hinder each other. Imagine the total clusterfuck this would be.

That is Mario 35.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Spelunky 2 yet? I played the first one but only made it to the final boss once so any tips and differences would be appreciated.

IMO it is mostly the same tips from the first one. Always be carrying something to set off traps or throw at enemies. Look before you leap. Try to save your pet if you can but don't get yourself injured to do it. Break open pots and jars for loot but do it carefully as they can also contain enemies. You'll get a feel for what you can and can't do and for the new traps and enemies as you play.

I guess one thing for new players would be too turn on the instant restart option in the menu because I think it's off by default.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Also a helpful thing to know is you can burn or blow up turkeys (out of sight if the turkey guy) for health.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Money is much more plentiful in this one, so hold off on killing shopkeepers unless you REALLY need something.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Also it defaults to auto-sprint, press to walk, IIRC. This is changable if you habitally just glue shift down.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

anilEhilated posted:

A few more tips:

1. Whipping is slightly different than the first Spelunky and will taking some getting used to. Most notable is that the backwards range on the whip is bigger. A good strat for bats is to face away from them and when they are close, whip. The backwards hitbox on the whip will kill the bat.

2. You can steal from shopkeeps and potentially be forgiven. You have to steal from the shopkeep, not kill him, and in the next level, NOT hurt any shopkeeps at all. If you get out without damaging another shopkeep, you will be forgiven and they won't come after you. However, any damage to a shopkeep counts against you, even if you didn't cause it.

3. You get more time per level now, 3 minutes compared to 2 minutes 30.

4. Ghost pots are high risk and reward. You get a diamond from breaking it, and diamonds now scale in value depending on the world. However breaking one summons the Ghost.

5. Various animals can be tamed and ridden! The turkeys are one of them, try it out!

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Kuros posted:

2. You can steal from shopkeeps and potentially be forgiven. You have to steal from the shopkeep, not kill him, and in the next level, NOT hurt any shopkeeps at all. If you get out without damaging another shopkeep, you will be forgiven and they won't come after you. However, any damage to a shopkeep counts against you, even if you didn't cause it.

From watching some people test it, you can damage the shopkeepers but as long as you don't kill them you'll be forgiven. You'll get a notice on the screen that "You Feel Forgiven" to let you know when it takes effect. If you steal something again then you just need to go one full level to be forgiven (i.e. steal on 1-2 and clear 1-3, you'll be forgiven on 1-4).

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Kuros posted:

A few more tips:

1. Whipping is slightly different than the first Spelunky and will taking some getting used to. Most notable is that the backwards range on the whip is bigger. A good strat for bats is to face away from them and when they are close, whip. The backwards hitbox on the whip will kill the bat.

Is this different at all? Backwards-whip bat-killing was my standard strat in the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Anyone got some hints for Elminage Gothic?