Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It's true. This man has no dick.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

the legal rights of ghosts not being established I guess running nuclear equipment in an area not zoned for it was clearly illegal and actionable

yeah they conveniently leave out any mention of handling and storing fissile material. they even mention right in the beginning how they're all walking around with illegal unlicensed reactors on their backs, which seems like a contamination issue

maybe in ghostbusters 1985 you can just walk into any corner store and buy some plutonium

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

well that's what i heard!!!

(seriously a super weird bit of ADR)

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i too, ponder the legal and jurisdictional guidelines crossed, while watching ghostbusters

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i was always thrown off by the mayor of new york deferring to the archdiocese

taught me at a young age to never vote for a catholic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rjmccall posted:

and iirc they do all get out in one of the movies, which is, like, exactly why it’s irresponsible

in the first movie dickless shuts down the containment and they escaping ghosts create all the events that take place in the third act of that movie, but it could be argued that the ghosts were just pissed off at being locked up in the first place.

in the second movie it becomes apparent that psychic energy can directly affect reality, because all the new yorkers' aggregated bad moods manifest as a river of pink goo under the city. so the EPA was probably correct that storing the psychic energy of 1000 imprisoned ghosts in the basement of the firehouse was akin to storing toxic waste, at least on a spiritual level

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Roosevelt posted:

i too, ponder the legal and jurisdictional guidelines crossed, while watching ghostbusters

i remember being surprised, after many years of watching Dukes of Hazzard, that cops could just arrest you in whereever and that crossing the county line didn't mean poo poo.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

i remember being surprised, after many years of watching Dukes of Hazzard, that cops could just arrest you in whereever and that crossing the county line didn't mean poo poo.

state police don't care about county lines but the county sheriff sure does

city cops also can't arrest you outside of city limits

i mean it's trivial for them to just call up whoever has jurisdiction if you're getting near, say, the state line even. but it is a thing

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
but anyway those duke boys were actually able to operate so successfully as criminals due the poorly-funded law enforcement of their poverty-stricken rural county, which meant the sheriff's office was understaffed and filled with the incompetent and easily bamboozled

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

depends on the state, some states give cops state wide arrest powers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
ah yeah, it looks like california allows that if they're pursuing a warrant or something

man i would be a terrible moonshiner

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
cops sometimes have local agreements giving them authority outside their jurisdictions. even if they don't, there's a generally accepted legal principle (at least in us law) that cops in "hot pursuit" can continue that pursuit across jurisdictional lines, although that's limited to places where us law actually applies, i.e. not across national or rez borders. and even if that weren't true, they could just arrest you the next time they see you, no matter how much later that is, because statutes of limitation are generally suspended when you flee

but it's a funny recurring plot point

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Carthag Tuek posted:

stop being gross dudes

that woman was literally harassed to tears by horny internet dudes like last week

good thing she doesn’t read this thread then

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Scope posted:

Because Dickless over there shut down the containment.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Schadenboner posted:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

wow I never knew that the best-used piece of music from the original GB was actually only the second half of a song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66WxgHIXp6M

also, the first half of it kinda sucks so fair play to the Music Director

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
bustin’ makes me feel good

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

bustin’ bustin' bustin' bustin' bustin' bustin' bustin’ bustin' bustin' bustin' bustin' bustin' bustin’ bustin' bustin' bustin' bustin' bustin' bustin’ bustin' bustin' bustin' bustin' bustin' bustin'

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i ain't afraid of no sleep

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
finished ep 5 of raised by wolves last night. it’s getting very good

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

there's a particularly funny bit of foley at the end of the boys ep 5

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
started a fun new show but discussion is embargoed itt so just idk just watch whatever

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

name the show jonny!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

is it an anime, jonny?

:justpost:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
right now i'm watching abraham lincoln: vampire hunter which is definitely not one!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
halftime update: holy poo poo this movie is good and i hate every single review that's all BuT iT tAkEs iTsElF tOo sErIoUsLy like thats the whole god drat point you absolute hack

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

halftime update: holy poo poo this movie is good and i hate every single review that's all BuT iT tAkEs iTsElF tOo sErIoUsLy like thats the whole god drat point you absolute hack

matt had a good vlog rant where the only two movie options these days are grimdark-realism ~SERIOUS ART~ nolan-garbage or quippy self-aware ironic-poisoned Whedon writing where every character is going "oh wow, so THAT just happened. so huh we're doing THIS now". super serious vs knowingly humorous

and both are loving garbage, bring back fun-and-endearing-sincerity

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i dunno if it's just covid but it seems like movies are dying off. the only ones i'm looking forward to are dune and top gun 2.

everything is just a tv series now. let's have 8 hours of nurse ratched origin story!!!

e: planning to see new bill and ted too i guess

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i dunno if it's just covid but i haven't heard poo poo about movies. the only ones i'm looking forward to are dune and top gun 2.

everything is just a tv series now. let's have 8 hours of nurse ratched origin story!!!

did you watch colour out of space? that was the good poo poo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yeah i really liked that. 2019 was actually a really great year for movies (lumping COOS into 2019 even tho i think itwas like jan 2020). the previous years of like 2010 to 2018 mostly sucked, and now it looks like 2020+ is going to suck.

all of my favorite recent movies have basically been A24 films as well. if it wasn't for A24, movies would be trash

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it was pretty solid, i appreciate that they killed off every named character except the narrator, right up to a fakeout where it looks like he's going to save the girl who was otherwise the main character, but lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

"Alpacas are the animal of the future" was some extremely good foreshadowing

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Clark Nova posted:

"Alpacas are the animal of the future" was some extremely good foreshadowing

ok im curious now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im kind of all over the place these days but here's the latest stack

note that media from that island nation off the coast of china is not included here

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
what do have against taiwanese films

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i dunno buddy, i see a ghost in the shell in there

loving the russian thumbnails

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

did you actually watch a neil breen film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

im kind of all over the place these days but here's the latest stack

note that media from that island nation off the coast of china is not included here

the other shaft remake with samuel l jackson is a good stoned watch