Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The one guy who was mad in April and maybe an RPS article? WHO KNOWS!

ehh i mean most of them never liked the game anyway because its not some indie game like cloudpunk and such(nothing wrong with cloudpunk as far as i know). alot of critics seem to want games to be big super arthouse pieces when most arnt' even indie games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

"This promo looks like GTA!" everyone complained, unironically, without thinking that GTA is one of the bestselling franchises and that maybe tricking convincing some of those fans to try or checkout Cyberpunk may increase sales...

Without multiplayer, would the GTA crowd actually care about this game? It is very different from GTA.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

I said come in! posted:

Without multiplayer, would the GTA crowd actually care about this game? It is very different from GTA.

....what?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

A lot of people are imagining it as being GTA, so the marketing is working I guess.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Why would fans of the best-selling open-world single-player crime game franchise of all time want to play a single-player open-world crime game set in the future? Frankly I can't wrap my head around it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wolfsheim posted:

Why would fans of the best-selling open-world single-player crime game franchise of all time want to play a single-player open-world crime game set in the future? Frankly I can't wrap my head around it

Cyberpunk is not a huge car-jacking driving crime simulator where you can explore a giant island with motorcycles or jetskis. Its a story driven FPSRPG mostly taking place in a single city.

Cyberpunk is no more similar to GTA than games like Forza or Payday, because the former has cars and the latter has you robbing banks. Neither is the same as GTA though.

Cyberpunk is much more like Deus Ex. Would you say Deus Ex is the same genre as Grand Theft Auto?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Zaphod42 posted:

Cyberpunk is not a huge car-jacking driving crime simulator where you can explore a giant island with motorcycles or jetskis. Its a story driven FPSRPG mostly taking place in a single city.

Cyberpunk is no more similar to GTA than games like Forza or Payday, because the former has cars and the latter has you robbing banks. Neither is the same as GTA though.

Cyberpunk is much more like Deus Ex. Would you say Deus Ex is the same genre as Grand Theft Auto?

I think it’s going to be Deus Ex gameplay with potentially GTA attitude, likely depending on your lifepath. But I would not put it in the same genre as GTA just bc it’s open world with cars.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
The best xp system is still Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. You got stat points for completing objectives. It did not matter how you completed those objectives.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Is Cyberpunk not a W3 style open-world and more like a big DX hub? Genuinely asking, but the fact that I don't actually know even after watching a lot of the prerelease videos makes me think most people are under the assumption it's a big city where you drive around with the general goal of becoming a more successful criminal, which is the plot of every GTA game.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
The open world aspect of the game should be very similar to GTA in theory. The structure of the story and the character progression will be completely different.

Wolfsheim posted:

Is Cyberpunk not a W3 style open-world and more like a big DX hub? Genuinely asking, but the fact that I don't actually know even after watching a lot of the prerelease videos makes me think most people are under the assumption it's a big city where you drive around with the general goal of becoming a more successful criminal, which is the plot of every GTA game.

There should be more degrees of freedom available. In W3, you couldn't even attack NPCs in the city. This game will have a crime system with NCPD and/or MAXTAC coming after you if you start killing civilians. The same thing will happen if you walk around naked apparently :v:

The plot starts out the same as in GTA. You're a nobody trying to get rich. Later on it seems like there will be an actual storyline though, with more than just doing glorified heists.

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 28, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
the gta thing was from gibson after seeing this trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjxS9ciNlII than poo poo tier critics and journalistis clapped and have repeated it ever since even though gibson walked back on his comments.

https://twitter.com/MTomaszkiewicz/status/1310128883077873665

https://twitter.com/MTomaszkiewicz/status/1310134710715154432

https://twitter.com/PhiWeber/status/1310146557405270016

meanwhile quest director and the senior quest designers said a good things. so thats nice.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 28, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

But like I said, Payday is a game where you rob banks to become a more successful criminal, and even involves boosting cars. But the way you play the game is what determines its genre, not the story.

You could have a turn based strategy game that's about people robbing banks and becoming criminals (check out Empire of Sin) and that's nothing like GTA because its how you play that really matters.

Both Cyberpunk and Deus Ex and GTA all involve walking around and shooting, but the way they play overall is pretty different. It IS a big city, and you do drive around, but the driving has been criticized in previews so far. Its not the focus of the game. Story, dialogue, skill points and character customization, those are the focus of Cyberpunk, in different ways than you do anything similar in GTA.

I don't consider Witcher 3 to be similar to GTA. They both have a big world and quests, but the overall gameplay is pretty different. But definitely its not all or nothing here, there are similarities. I just don't think people should expect quite the scale of GTA's level of driving around.

Which to me is fine, I like Deus Ex more than GTA overall anyways. And games that try to be the ultimate "everything game" end up like Star Citizen. But I'd love to find out that the driving is actually sweet and you can spend all day racing cars, I just don't expect that to be the case. I expect to get caught up in the story and characters.

That dev's twitter banner RULES

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 28, 2020

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Those look like people I would see playing Shadowrun at conventions.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Zaphod42 posted:

Destiny loot cave was much less gamers.txt and much more Destiny being a half-finished mess of a game
In the few months I played Destiny after launch the loot cave was the most fun I had before getting bored and never touching the game again

I was crushed when they patched it out 😟

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I also hate Chromatic Aberration, but it seems they have decided that the artistic vision to show of the game, at least in marketing, it's that. I guess people will associate it with sci-finess. As long as I can turn it off in the game, I will be happy.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

AirRaid posted:

Man there is some horrible blurring going on at the edges of some of these screens. Not sure exactly what it is, but it looks like a combination of effects, possibly some DOF and definitely chromatic abberation that leads to some ugly smearyness over the outer half of the image. Hopefully we'll be able to turn some or all of that off.

I don't see any chromatic aberration, there isn't any colour fringing that I can see. Also I generally haven't seen much if any chromatic aberration in any other CP77 screenshots. Blurry at the edges does not automatically equal chromatic aberration, that is a quite specific artefact that you only get in certain circumstances when using certain (cheap) lenses. In that screenshot in particular, it's just diffraction which is an inevitability when using any kind of lens (to a greater or lesser extent depending on lens quality of course, in that screenshot it's fairly aggressive).

Whether a video game should be simulating lens affects at all is a question of taste of course.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Haven't looked at much but know I'll be getting the game. Has there been any discussion of console vs PC? Keyboard/mouse vs gamepad? My PC hasn't been upgraded in a while, running an i5-4690K and GeForce GTX 970, not sure if I'll be able to upgrade for the game. I also have a PS4 Pro as an alternative.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Corte posted:

Haven't looked at much but know I'll be getting the game. Has there been any discussion of console vs PC? Keyboard/mouse vs gamepad? My PC hasn't been upgraded in a while, running an i5-4690K and GeForce GTX 970, not sure if I'll be able to upgrade for the game. I also have a PS4 Pro as an alternative.

All of the media coverage has been on PCs with gamepads. Your PC is lacking quite a bit, probably comparable to the PS4 Pro version. As a bonus, if you do get the PS4 version there is a free upgrade for PS5 next year.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Firebert posted:

All of the media coverage has been on PCs with gamepads. Your PC is lacking quite a bit, probably comparable to the PS4 Pro version. As a bonus, if you do get the PS4 version there is a free upgrade for PS5 next year.

Thanks! I think I would opt to upgrade my PC before getting a PS5, don't game nearly as much these days. Have typically waited on consoles until they go down in price, have larger catalogues and some of the hits are more affordable. Maybe I'll wait for Boxing Day sales this year and play it over the holidays.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It's probably still worth waiting for the reviews, it very well could be a mess on old consoles like Control was (and we have only seen PC footage).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

I also hate Chromatic Aberration, but it seems they have decided that the artistic vision to show of the game, at least in marketing, it's that. I guess people will associate it with sci-finess. As long as I can turn it off in the game, I will be happy.

It at least feels way more appropriate in Cyberpunk than almost any other game setting.

But yeah, I generally disable motion blur and chromatic aberration. But I can't imagine we won't be able to in this, should be fine.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

But like I said, Payday is a game where you rob banks to become a more successful criminal, and even involves boosting cars. But the way you play the game is what determines its genre, not the story.

You could have a turn based strategy game that's about people robbing banks and becoming criminals (check out Empire of Sin) and that's nothing like GTA because its how you play that really matters.

Both Cyberpunk and Deus Ex and GTA all involve walking around and shooting, but the way they play overall is pretty different. It IS a big city, and you do drive around, but the driving has been criticized in previews so far. Its not the focus of the game. Story, dialogue, skill points and character customization, those are the focus of Cyberpunk, in different ways than you do anything similar in GTA.

I don't consider Witcher 3 to be similar to GTA. They both have a big world and quests, but the overall gameplay is pretty different. But definitely its not all or nothing here, there are similarities. I just don't think people should expect quite the scale of GTA's level of driving around.

Which to me is fine, I like Deus Ex more than GTA overall anyways. And games that try to be the ultimate "everything game" end up like Star Citizen. But I'd love to find out that the driving is actually sweet and you can spend all day racing cars, I just don't expect that to be the case. I expect to get caught up in the story and characters.

Question: why do we care about all of these comparisons and whether or not GTA fans will exclusively play GTA clones?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I think the real question is: is this game GTA? Or is it not GTA. ????

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Corte posted:

Believe it or not, your PC does beat the minimum system requirements. They're quite low.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The advantage of the game having to be able to run on the base PS4 and Xbox.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I think the real question is: is this game GTA? Or is it not GTA. ????

Consider this: GTA San Andreas not only had stats you could increase, extremely clunky driving and combat as well as several optional side missions but it ended up being about working with shadowy government operatives to do crimes. Cyberpunk 2077 is simply an unofficial sequel.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

BTW even though it denies C2077's true, GTA-inspired spirit I did start playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided again a couple days ago just to get into that cyberpunk feeling. So far it's been about 20% gritty cyberpunk combat scenarios/80% me milling around empty apartments and reading my co-worker's emails which I both love and hate.

I also didn't realize this the first time I played it but their portrayal of fascist apartheid eastern european cops are basically just modern-day US cops with a different accent which is pretty depressing!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

BTW even though it denies C2077's true, GTA-inspired spirit I did start playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided again a couple days ago just to get into that cyberpunk feeling. So far it's been about 20% gritty cyberpunk combat scenarios/80% me milling around empty apartments and reading my co-worker's emails which I both love and hate.

I also didn't realize this the first time I played it but their portrayal of fascist apartheid eastern european cops are basically just modern-day US cops with a different accent which is pretty depressing!

I remember in 2016 playing the game and wanting to avoid all the street cops during martial law.

Now? Everyone gets the tazerfist and robots get some AP rounds from my revolver too! (Seriously that thing is silly, 2 rounds kill any EMP’d bot)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev7TR4XwYsQ&t=1047s

So this interview makes it pretty clear that there basically isn't a "main story quest" to Cyberpunk at all. The game isn't structured like Witcher 3, it has a fundamentally different quest system which offers quests based on different conditions and you can even "beat the game" without ever doing what is basically the "main story".

That's exceptionally exciting for replayability. One of my favorite Skyrim mods is the "another life" mod that lets you spawn in another city and avoid taking on the dragonborn quest entirely. Having to go through the same motions every time gets old real fast, and seems anathema to the concept of a character-customization driven RPG with an open and non-linear world.

chitoryu12 posted:

Question: why do we care about all of these comparisons and whether or not GTA fans will exclusively play GTA clones?

Its not too important, but I think some people who are making lots of GTA comparisons are setting themselves up for disappointment, which with how amazing this game looks is pretty crazy.
I have a lot of friends who keep saying "Cyberpunk isn't going to be the second coming of christ", and I keep seeing people saying that online too, because there's so much hype built around this game.
Gamers do weird things when hype reaches critical levels.

I'm just trying to prepare people against a No Man's Sky situation where people start inventing ideas for what the game will have, and then get mad when the game doesn't have all of them.

What exactly "multiplayer" will be like is a prime example. Some people are already imagining GTA Online and I don't think that's in the cards.
But Cyberpunk looks loving rad so we should all be happy as long as we don't get unreasonble.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Believe it or not, your PC does beat the minimum system requirements. They're quite low.

I had heard that, maybe they're working towards a Switch post. Probably will still wait and see, imagine I'll enjoy it more if I'm able to upgrade but thanks!

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm just trying to prepare people against a No Man's Sky situation where people start inventing ideas for what the game will have, and then get mad when the game doesn't have all of them.

Too late, I fear.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev7TR4XwYsQ&t=1047s

So this interview makes it pretty clear that there basically isn't a "main story quest" to Cyberpunk at all. The game isn't structured like Witcher 3, it has a fundamentally different quest system which offers quests based on different conditions and you can even "beat the game" without ever doing what is basically the "main story".

That's exceptionally exciting for replayability. One of my favorite Skyrim mods is the "another life" mod that lets you spawn in another city and avoid taking on the dragonborn quest entirely. Having to go through the same motions every time gets old real fast, and seems anathema to the concept of a character-customization driven RPG with an open and non-linear world.

That really does sound pretty loving awesome.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The problem with No Man's Sky is that they straight up lied about what the game was gonna be in interviews and trailers, it's well documented at this point.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It helps to be modest. Star Citizen has raised 300 million in crowdfunding and investments, and as a show of humility the only thing they've advertised is a mo-capped bartender NPC who nearly works.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Firebert posted:

The problem with No Man's Sky is that they straight up lied about what the game was gonna be in interviews and trailers, it's well documented at this point.

I think, given what's happened to that game since release, we should be able to recognise the difference between "lying" and stating your plans for the game years before the release, then running out of time with a publisher breathing down your neck. It's pretty clear that they fully intended on having those features in the game given that they've since added all of them in free updates.

The real difference between Cyberpunk and NMS is that it's being made by an experienced studio with a good grasp of their capabilities and the ability to simply delay the game until it's as good as they want it to be. I don't think you have much to fear about the game releasing in a considerably worse state than they've been promoting, CDPR know what they're doing at this point.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I don't think you can make the best RPG of this generation and then not get people's hopes up for your next one tbh

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Firebert posted:

While you're not wrong and they massively overstated what they were going to be able to accomplish, What Zaphod said is also true. People WAY overhyped NMS to the point of assuming that "because they said X feature is in, Y feature and maybe Z will be too!"

Sure X feature might not have made it into release, but people whining about Y and Z features only have themselves to blame.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It helps to be modest. Star Citizen has raised 300 million in crowdfunding and investments, and as a show of humility the only thing they've advertised is a mo-capped bartender NPC who nearly works.
They have achieved some interesting things in regards to world creation/rendering, but all the loving bike-shedding taints and ruins the project.

What was it, two years ago or whatever? A million and one bugs and missing features, and during that stupid CitizenCon, they're going on a pretty considerable about of time on procedural fried eggs. What in the gently caress.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I will be astonished if it's something that doesn't match the description of "Witcher 3 except the horse is now a car and side-quests have longer chains and less obvious triggers".

Which will still mean it replaces Witcher 3 as the benchmark game that all other RPGs will be judged against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Firebert posted:

They lied about some things, but there's also a TON of things that players made the gently caress up and then got real rowdy about not being in the game, which was never mentioned.

Trust me, it is indeed all documented. The SA thread was a real hoot at launch.

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't think you can make the best RPG of this generation and then not get people's hopes up for your next one tbh

Its true. And these trailers are just so gobsmacking and inspiring, its got me wanting to start up another Cyberpunk tabletop game in the meantime to release.

As long as you liked Witcher 3 and are just looking forward to Sci-fi Witcher 3 I think everybody's gonna be real happy. But I think there's some people who go past that. Videogames and showing sci-fi futures, like, I dunno man. Some people are weird. Star Citizen has some crazy people who think they're going to basically retire into a virtual reality, its pretty wild.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 29, 2020