Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Harold Krell posted:

Concept for a parallaxing sky level for a game I'm making.

This concept is really great and looks cool already, but if you clean up the pixel art and push the colors with ~math~ you'll get a lot further. The stray pixels and uneven line widths are just too obvious. As far as the color gradation the atmospheric discoloration of basket is way more obvious than the balloon itself. It'd be really cool if you could push the atmosphere for the 2nd or 3rd levels of balloons all the way back in the distance, but that just means more fading towards sky colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Click for Huge

Updated the fall ruins for the site. Tweaked the colors, fixed a bunch of little mistakes I hadn't noticed before, touched up the sky and thinned out branches- there's a bunch of little animated falling leaves that I'm still tweaking too to go with it.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Nice warm / cool balance!

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I posted this over in the Digital Art thread on accident, I meant to post it here:

Silly question time. I saw the tutorials in the OP. If I have absolutely zero art experience, much less pixel art, is there a good/better place to start? My goal is to literally make small pixel versions of my players' D&D party and maybe branch into some monsters if it goes well. Hopefully this doesn't sound disrespectful of artists, because I know absolute ton of talent goes into making small pixel art as well, as it takes a good eye to put something small like that into something cohesive and good looking.

In all likelihood nothing much bigger than, say, a Final Fantasy 16bit era sprite.

perc2
May 16, 2020

If you're working at quite low resolutions, I think you can get by with following pixel art tutorials, studying good pixel art, and working off that -- the low pixel res means you can kind of be "constructive" and work around any flaws in draftsmanship you might have.

However, the thing about being a good pixel artist is eventually at some point you'll need to learn about hue, value, perspective, form, and you'll need to have some degree of competent draftsmanship. Also as your art improves, so does your aesthetic judgement and this takes years to cultivate. But if you just want to get to the level where you can make some amusing sprites, don't dive headfirst into a full on program unless you have some serious long term goals. Have fun making pixel art, post it to get feedback, and study the work of others.

https://lospec.com/pixel-art-tutorials

This should keep you entertained for a while :D

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

perc2 posted:

If you're working at quite low resolutions, I think you can get by with following pixel art tutorials, studying good pixel art, and working off that -- the low pixel res means you can kind of be "constructive" and work around any flaws in draftsmanship you might have.

However, the thing about being a good pixel artist is eventually at some point you'll need to learn about hue, value, perspective, form, and you'll need to have some degree of competent draftsmanship. Also as your art improves, so does your aesthetic judgement and this takes years to cultivate. But if you just want to get to the level where you can make some amusing sprites, don't dive headfirst into a full on program unless you have some serious long term goals. Have fun making pixel art, post it to get feedback, and study the work of others.

https://lospec.com/pixel-art-tutorials

This should keep you entertained for a while :D

Thank you so much! Yeah, this is more a "try to do a cool thing for my players and friends" deal than an aspiring to be an artist thing.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

holy crap this thread is full of amazing pixel arts!

tbqh i just came here to invite you all to make smilies for charity with byob--because this seemed like the best place to scout for s-tier smiley-makers. but now i think i'm going to spend the next hour or so clicking through the thread and soaking in the ega/vga/8b/16b goodness.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So I ripped the hat straight off from the Red Mage sprite, but mostly because our warforged paladin wears a fancy red hat. From there down I did a bunch of eyeballing the FF sprites, but made an honest go of making our Paladin with the Bag of Holding on my own. It certainly could have gone worse.

In hindsight, I should probably bring the right foot up a pixel or two since he's supposed to be in 3/4 view from the shoulders down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Sorry for the double post, but apparently I can't edit in a second picture.

Added some texture to the bag with a darker brown, brought the right hand in a bit, and fixed the right foot to make it look like 3/4.

Bloody hell, just pretend he has the mouth from 1, because he does now, I just tinkered and went back.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saxophone fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 28, 2020

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Saxophone posted:

Added some texture to the bag with a darker brown, brought the right hand in a bit, and fixed the right foot to make it look like 3/4.

Bloody hell, just pretend he has the mouth from 1, because he does now, I just tinkered and went back.

You'll want to save them as a png or gif otherwise it loses quality

perc2
May 16, 2020

Saxophone posted:

1) As Ash Crimson said, save it as PNG so it doesn't compress and the pixels and colours look sharp

2) Make sure the canvas background is transparent so you can set it against backgrounds, like the forum post color.

3) Don't leave excess canvas sticking out like you have on the left, crop it around the sprite.

4) Think more carefully about color choice - your colours are very dark and highly saturated, so it makes it very hard to read, especially that blue. What you want to do is to desaturate and lighten the colors a bit - save very saturated colors for tiny parts that you want to 'pop'. Especially, don't make the outline pure black, it's hard to read - look at a tutorial like this from the list of ones I linked earlier and notice how the finished sprites have desaturated, softer outlines.

Great first go, however!

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Thanks! That website has a lot of good stuff I didn't even think about.

I think one of my issues is I was using Piskell and didn't see any like, preloaded pallettes. And I don't have a good foundation-- ok, I don't have ANY foundation for picking pallettes, or color theory or anything really.

That png info is good though because I saved it and it was so tiny I couldn't blow it up into anything worth looking at so I did some paint shenanigans with the print screen of it blown up in graphicsgale. Basically I'm a hot mess who hasn't attempted to do anything artistic since grade school.

I was basically trying to emulate Final Fantasy sprites style in that and they seem to have pretty heavy use of outlining in black, so I'll take a look and see if I can find better examples.

I had a lot of fun doing it and good god I had no clue I could spend literal hours agonizing over the placement of singular pixels.

perc2
May 16, 2020

If you're referring to the sprites here: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Red_Mage_(Final_Fantasy), the first couple of iterations have black outlines but you'll notice that the color palettes and pixel placement is very well designed (the original sprite only uses 4 colors), then you can get away with it - but even then the colors in those sprites are designed around a far less saturated and lighter palette, whereas the colors you picked were largely random, very dark and saturated. You can make the black work if you get your colors right, but not without understanding about how to offset values against each other...

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Absolutely! My colors don't really "fade" into one another and they look rough butted up against black.

perc2
May 16, 2020

I did a quick paintover your sprite and tried to keep it in your style and the early FF vibe, but with no shading to make it readable. I think if you start with base colors, and get them right, then you can look to introducing some shading - get it readable against the black first. It's a really rough paintover, you'd want to clean up those outlines further, but you get the idea.

EDIT: And polished with some subtle shading, why not!

perc2 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 28, 2020

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I didn't know what else to do so I did more

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I love that otter

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Hi friends, Sebmojo and I are soliciting feedback as to how WE can improve CC for YOU! If that's something you'd like to weigh in on, you can go here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3942698

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I actually came here to post some pixel dnd content too! (McKilligan, I know your site! Had no clue you were a goon.) I've been working on all my friend's dnd characters for my friends for Christmas, in a snes squeenix sort of style. The idea is to print them on transparency to make minis.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
A small update:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ash Crimson posted:

A small update:

Low contrast background is cool but I would suggest higher contrast sprites, or at least use your darkest tone in the palette for the sprite outlines.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Scut posted:

Low contrast background is cool but I would suggest higher contrast sprites, or at least use your darkest tone in the palette for the sprite outlines.

What about now:

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Ash Crimson posted:

What about now:

This is better. You can definitely push it more which will give you more "contrast space" for other things you want to pop. Right now the heirarchy readds something like characters >>>>> road > rocks > trees > dirt/grass/etc. Making assumptions about the game design, if you make the trees pop as much as the road, you'll probably be good.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

anothergod posted:

This is better. You can definitely push it more which will give you more "contrast space" for other things you want to pop. Right now the heirarchy readds something like characters >>>>> road > rocks > trees > dirt/grass/etc. Making assumptions about the game design, if you make the trees pop as much as the road, you'll probably be good.

These trees any better?

I'm reluctant to make them stand out anymore as the sprites are supposed to be the focal point, but im willing to change the trees up again if need be.

Edit:

Now with (hopefully!) better water tiles:

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 17, 2020

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Ash Crimson posted:

These trees any better?
Yup. If you don't want them to pop too much, how do they look if you remove their outlines but keep their dithered shading?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Yeah dude those trees look perfect. I'm a big fan of varying textures to help create contrast while maintaining particular hue/value/saturation levels.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Spent a bit of time getting ready for when Lowtax gets perma'ed.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Scarodactyl posted:

that's a thing of beauty, I'd donate to get that in the smilie database

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Scut posted:

that's a thing of beauty, I'd donate to get that in the smilie database

Good news! :vincefrog:

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

:vincefrog:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Scarodactyl posted:

:vince:

Have a happy Cacodemon I pixelled for therapeutic\chillness

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Finally getting started on animating more characters for Kandria.

I hope the silhouettes are distinguishable enough. I tried to push it some more but that ended up looking weird.

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 14, 2020

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm back thinking about this brawler. I know, I'm back thinking about it a LOT

I wanted to cut down on the total amount of colours for her and to shrink her to be closer~ to NES sized sprites. She's I think 3 pixels too tall to be 2 pairs of sprites overlayed but I'm ok with that. Her limbs are nice and long too so I feel I could make attacks that read well. I'm trying to not have just a fist move about with a huge stump of an arm behind it. Oh and of course her run is 8 frames and way way overdone but gently caress it I over animate

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

glorious

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Hey folks, hope this is the correct way, I'm looking for someone to create pixel-art for my indie-pen&paper-rpg, a dark sci-fi dune/babylon5/foundation-esque game about power plays, dirty deeds and wavering loyalties. Is ...is this the right place to ask if anyone's willing to take this up? Or are there better places to look for artists?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Mr.Misfit posted:

Hey folks, hope this is the correct way, I'm looking for someone to create pixel-art for my indie-pen&paper-rpg, a dark sci-fi dune/babylon5/foundation-esque game about power plays, dirty deeds and wavering loyalties. Is ...is this the right place to ask if anyone's willing to take this up? Or are there better places to look for artists?
If you're offering money, there's a hired goons thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527487

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mr.Misfit posted:

I'd also suggest Twitter as a good place to find artists.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mr.Misfit posted:

a lot of pixel artists put a portfolio up on pixeljoint

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

exmarx posted:

Did another lot of these

some more portraits in pre-set palettes (resurrect 32 / ega / windows 7 ms paint / rosy 42)

General Specific posted:

Do you start with a greyscale and map the palette to the levels, or work with the palette from start to finish? I'd love to see the WIP steps of putting together something like this portrait or the fish.

this is from ages ago, but no to working in greyscale – when you're working from an existing palette (particularly a challenging one), the relative saturation and hues in a ramp inform whether another level of shading/highlight is possible, and therefore what your rendering needs to look like. for example, in the princess nokia portrait (second from left) it would have been great to have a colour between the pink and the yellow – since there wasn't one, i knew i needed to rely on specular highlights.

process-wise, it's just a matter of picking out your key tone, main shading colour, and main highlight colour. then if there are any suitable in-between tones, you can fill in the gaps: