Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I've had an idea for awhile. I love the show drunk history, and I think we should do a GBS version. I'd like to make a discord where I invite one GBS/BYOB any poster really at a time to come up with a historical subject to talk about while extremely drunk on voice chat. I'd love for this to be a weekly thing but at first I think once a month would be good. You would come up with a topic, a general outline and your words about it, I will contribute especially the dialogue part, and would love to have writing help on this as well. I will also drink but slightly less so while we do the interview, trying to keep the absurdly drunk poster on track.

In the discord chat we would have me, my wife recording, the poster, and a sober sitter to make sure the poster isn't like dying, along with maybe a couple GBS posters the drunk historian chooses for moral support and to encourage things. Outside of the audio help I would love to have a visual aspect to this mostly in the form of MS paints and photoshops. If people are willing to animate things awesome but a slideshow of images would be the early goal at least. This would be put together and posted on YouTube. The artists would hear the audio before the rest of the forums. The art part of things would probably need like 10 people. The writing maybe 5. I have a few posters in mind and there is a lot to hash out but I would like to see people nominate their favorite posters. Any history will do even forums history. 10 minutes in length each would be the goal.

UPDATE: Signup sheet to contribute to art for the first installment, The Iliad, has been posted to Google Drive. Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yqeUa3YpZbpZlR6M-DeiVf5_DF733e6Z5dKijisFpVw/edit?usp=sharing. Anyone who signs up gets early VIP access to the full telling by Ugly In The Morning!

HugeGrossBurrito fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
My body is ready, I've been preparing for this my entire life.

In fact I'm drunk right now and researching history right now.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

SniperWoreConverse posted:

My body is ready, I've been preparing for this my entire life.

In fact I'm drunk right now and researching history right now.

Hell yes you were one of the posters I had in mind, also I’m sorry lol

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
This is potentially an amazing idea. I could probably do the Battle of Guningtou, but my availability isn't going to line-up well because I'm in Asia.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Never say sorry

For the non-intellectual this is a lyric from the seminal band Snail, where they deconstruct postmodern era morality.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is potentially an amazing idea. I could probably do the Battle of Guningtou, but my availability isn't going to line-up well because I'm in Asia.

I would stay up for any hour of the night if we can do it on the weekend. Or get drunk in the morning I’m not good with time zones.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Uh can we do an episode of high history? I don't drink but you know I'm down for creating beautiful content, you can get drunk unless you've started smoking again

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'd probably go off track 5 minutes into it and talk about bullshit.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
There is zero percent chance this can gently caress up in any way, I'm completely convinced this will work even if you need to send submissions via pigeon with a usb drive taped to it

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Sid Vicious posted:

Uh can we do an episode of high history? I don't drink but you know I'm down for creating beautiful content, you can get drunk unless you've started smoking again

Yes but brother you better be higher than you’ve ever been lol.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SniperWoreConverse posted:

There is zero percent chance this can gently caress up in any way, I'm completely convinced this will work even if you need to send submissions via pigeon with a usb drive taped to it

You have a really good narrator voice. You'd be great.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I would stay up for any hour of the night if we can do it on the weekend. Or get drunk in the morning I’m not good with time zones.

Assuming you're in North America, your Saturday morning is my Saturday evening. It only gets tricky if you're on the West Coast because of the additional hour differences. 7-8pm my time should be about 7-8am North American time.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
East coast of course

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Assuming we get this done before daylight savings, my 7pm is your 8am (it's nearly 10am here, so it's nearly 11pm there). I think that's reasonable?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Atlas Hugged posted:

Assuming we get this done before daylight savings, my 7pm is your 8am (it's nearly 10am here, so it's nearly 11pm there). I think that's reasonable?

Absolutely

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You have a really good narrator voice. You'd be great.

If this is true then I have been so tranqued I do not recall it, so it's gotta mean I know what I'm talking about. All adds up. I'm in.

I'm compiling my letters now, Theophilus the Penitent, Simon Magus, and Pan Twardowski are involved.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Cool. Let's make a plan.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Pennywise you also in?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Penny you have insights, I'm certain. In fact even if you plaid it strait fully soberized it'd work.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
im basically drunk all the time

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
i mean if i am not asleep i am consously drunk, quite literallt

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Do I get to pick the historical time period lol

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
also i majored in english with a history minor summa cum laud bitches because im dumb a s poo poo

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The way that the show did it was to have the comedian tell the story several times as they got progressively drunker and then editing the different takes together into a single telling that is both comprehensible and funny, just a protip so this doesn't become like people imitating MST3k thinking they're just making it all up the first time they watch it.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

It's okay Guy Mann, a lot of us are actually funny! Not you, but a lot of us!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Sleeveless posted:

The way that the show did it was to have the comedian tell the story several times as they got progressively drunker and then editing the different takes together into a single telling that is both comprehensible and funny, just a protip so this doesn't become like people imitating MST3k thinking they're just making it all up the first time they watch it.

I was at the Baltimore crowd filming at Mother’s and asked about it you are totally right!

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
HGB I am in. Got a topic already.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I was at the Baltimore crowd filming at Mother’s and asked about it you are totally right!

Don't ever tell him he's right oh my god burrito

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Derpies posted:

HGB I am in. Got a topic already.

Excellent

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

This sounds like a lot of fun to listen to. I might even be able to participate.

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009
Would it be Ok if you record those? For timezones that could miss out on the live show :ohdear:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

agrielaios posted:

Would it be Ok if you record those? For timezones that could miss out on the live show :ohdear:

Its definitely going to be recorded and edited and put on YouTube, not live at all.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
this sounds like a fantastic idea.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I'd ask to sign up but all my drunk lectures end up angry racist rants/ No particular race just whoever pissed me off lately

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Oh dude were doing this with video? gently caress yeah I just got my garage all set up for chilling in

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Lol if you want, I was thinking maybe paints and photoshops

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I've got after effects and the good goon statutory ape sent me a GPU that I finally got installed so I'm gonna see what I can do with that

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"

Sleeveless posted:

They also privately go over the story sober, to make sure that they didn't forget anything fyi
Is this regulars only? I am an alcoholic, drunk storyteller, amateur historian, and have a great radio voice

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
All posters are welcome i would like this to be the chief export of gbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've got a draft of my content almost ready. Anywhere I should share it?