Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

uh, rooftop swordmaster certainly went in an odd direction. like, what even is this?

He's the Hulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i just skimmed through the last 3 or so pages and didn't see it mentioned but drat did anyone catch Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint before scanlations got shut down because it was like the super edgy cocky as gently caress edge of Solo Leveling except way better presented and fun concept, and also the two main characters are hotter than the main character from SL.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is that 전지적작가시점 on Naver?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
ORV is a pretty interesting concept, and the art is by the same group as Solo Leveling so it looks much better than most manwhua.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Oh hell yeah, fight club 3 has started updating again.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Burned through Dungeon Reset and it's pretty good!

About half done with Solo Leveling too now, and this is also really good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
solo levelling had the novel, i think, concept of a character being horny for the main character and he obliviously asked if that was the case and they said yes

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Solo Leveling is good.

I also have liked A Returner's Magic Must be Special too. Silly name but it has good characters and the plot is moving along well enough.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jose posted:

solo levelling had the novel, i think, concept of a character being horny for the main character and he obliviously asked if that was the case and they said yes

I can't read Korean so unless it was translated this is the best I got.

Chapter 70 so far. :perfect:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Trynna read Omniscient and I keep pausing and sighing every few panels cause I can't handle it. I think I am getting too old and boring for this genre.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the main appeal of omniscient is that the mc's super power is his amazingly lovely taste in webnovels. it's very relatable.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i speak merely in comparison to its very close counterpart of solo leveling when i say it's so much better than the latter

e: but also what else has been new and popular in this line of webtoons recently? i read solo leveling and hardcore leveling hero but was wondering if there were any others that are new

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The Strongest Florist is real fun, imo. A super buff dude who is the heir to a gym chain decides to play a VRMMO where he can secretly live out this passion of starting a flower shop in peace.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I've been reading it and it's great. I love his seed attack.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Caught up on:

Solo Leveling
Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint
Dungeon Reset
Solo Login

Currently reading:

Season 2 of Tower of God

What else here do you think I might like?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Caught up on:

Solo Leveling
Dungeon Reset
Solo Login

Currently reading:

Season 2 of Tower of God

Did you do Hardcore Leveling Warrior and God of High School?

I quite recommend the GoHS anime on Crunchyroll as well, they clearly saved animation budget on ToG so they could use it here which works out since ToG is a lot more personal drama and less action. It's going a little fast but also the series is crazy so that kinda works out better

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Did you do Hardcore Leveling Warrior and God of High School?

I quite recommend the GoHS anime on Crunchyroll as well, they clearly saved animation budget on ToG so they could use it here which works out since ToG is a lot more personal drama and less action. It's going a little fast but also the series is crazy so that kinda works out better

I did not, but I've heard the names thrown around.

ToG anime isn't half bad but the pacing is breakneck speeds. english dub has JYB :swoon:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Shugojin posted:

they clearly saved animation budget on ToG so they could use it here
The two shows aren't even made by the same studio. It's more that GoHS was lucky enough to go to a director who, for whatever reason, absolutely worked his rear end off to make it look as good as possible. For example, he storyboarded almost every episode himself.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 5, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

ToG anime isn't half bad but the pacing is breakneck speeds. english dub has JYB :swoon:

Oh do the ones they suggested then. Solid recs based on your prefs

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

goh is at least as bad as tog about pacing, if not worse. the story already wasn't amazing and it's worse in the anime. this isn't exactly a show I'd recommend for the narrative

but if you like watching people punch each other, goh has stellar fight choreography and a ton of style

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Caught up on:

Solo Leveling
Dungeon Reset
Solo Login

Currently reading:

Season 2 of Tower of God

Burning Effect is always the answer I will give.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sindai posted:

The two shows aren't even made by the same studio. It's more that GoHS was lucky enough to go to a director who, for whatever reason, absolutely worked his rear end off to make it look as good as possible. For example, he storyboarded almost every episode himself.

Oh I kind of assumed that being CR Originals then the funding was provided by CR but I could be wrong on that

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Gosu: "No no guys, trust me, I wasn't actually fighting you with my full power, you didn't win"

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Caught up on:

Solo Leveling
Dungeon Reset
Solo Login

Currently reading:

Season 2 of Tower of God

Survival Story of a Sword King in a Fantasy World, perhaps?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Caught up on:

Solo Leveling
Dungeon Reset
Solo Login

Currently reading:

Season 2 of Tower of God

Kubera is probably one of the best fantasy comics I've read. It has a genuinely unique setting with very well written characters.

I Don't Want This Kind of Hero is also very good - the characters in it are very interesting and it does a good job of mixing some surprisingly heavy stuff with humor. Takes a bit to really get into it, though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Gologle posted:

Gosu: "No no guys, trust me, I wasn't actually fighting you with my full power, you didn't win"

This series became Dragonball a while ago. I want Namek to be over now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

control has finally reached the point of explaining how it becomes the world in burning effect

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Elysiume posted:

Survival Story of a Sword King in a Fantasy World, perhaps?

Highly recommend this one

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

Highly recommend this one

the group that were doing this have seemingly just stopped for whatever reason

edit: seems the group doing it got a dcma

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Caught up on Tower of God

That hiatus 😭

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So I doubt webtoons gave much information but basically he's recovering from 2 hernias due to overwork as well as I think arthritis. Who knows when it will come back

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yeah it's been a while.

Unfortunately I just finished re-reading most of it right before the hiatus started :negative:

It's a series worth a re-read due to the huge number of characters etc and how some of them come back to factor into the current plots.

Also does anyone know where to read Burning Effect? It's only bits and pieces on Mangadex and elsewhere that I've found so far.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jose posted:

the group that were doing this have seemingly just stopped for whatever reason

edit: seems the group doing it got a dcma

it's being continued on mangadex now by a totally different scanlation team, *wink wink*.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's being continued on mangadex now by a totally different scanlation team, *wink wink*.

Right but a bunch of the middle / beginning is missing on mangadex

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

From last solo leveling. Just like when your pet dog chews up an expensive rug, but the dog is an undead bug.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Omniscient Reader got me to start reading Solo Leveling and drat it's fun but also drat spending KRW 500 per chapter sucks!!!!!

At least it'll only cost me, like, uh.

Less than $100 to catch up? I think? How many chapters are there anyways.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Omniscient Reader got me to start reading Solo Leveling and drat it's fun but also drat spending KRW 500 per chapter sucks!!!!!

At least it'll only cost me, like, uh.

Less than $100 to catch up? I think? How many chapters are there anyways.

Is it bad to say don't pay to read manga online? Or is that a faux pas still

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I believe in paying artists for their work when possible.

In fact I think it's pretty loving dumb that Omniscient Reader and Solo Leveling are still getting scanned when they are officially available in English. Especially so with Omniscient Reader, cause all chapters are free (sure, there's fastpass, but fastpass chapters become free in the coming weeks).

Unless the official English versions have poo poo translations, which isn't impossible (see: Gosu).

I could technically get a new chapter of Solo Leveling for free every three days (that's how I read Chapter 4), but I'm just impatient and wanted to read more.

Alternatively, I could've paid KRW 200 per chapter if I'd only wanted to rent a chapter for 72 hours instead of owning the chapter. But I don't like rental systems in webtoon platforms, would rather have the option to go back and reread something whenever.

I think I spent like nearly KRW 3,000 a week on webtoons (discounting Solo Leveling which I just got into). Naver gets the bulk of it, while Daum only gets like KRW 400 (Peerless Dad + Burning Effect). Daum stuff doesn't really appeal to me that much.

Doesn't help that Naver has 2 biweekly series I'm reading, so that's double the cost!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idk about the quality of the translation of the scans vs official translation but I do know omniscient reader's scans are way way ahead of the official stuff

you're right about supporting the author but most people are gonna go with whatever's farther ahead, especially if there's a big difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's not that ahead, the webtoon itself has like only 23 chapters right now. A 20 chapter gap is nothing in the grand scheme of things.