Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I liked the Netflix Deathnote movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

Meanwhile the Netflix Death Note movie did nothing but piss people off, me included.

Lakeith Stanfield as L was great though. Make a movie about him, not loving Nat Wolff.

Considering how the original L gets his own movies, maybe they should do it with Lakeith too.

You know a criminal is bad when cops are forced to avoid shooting a hoodie-clad black guy.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

exquisite tea posted:

There seems to be a lot of renewed interest in ATLA and I hope that series one day does get a proper film adaptation, or sequel, or anything really. The creators were really done dirty by Shyamalan and later Nickelodeon for Legend of Korra.

Nickelodeon actually handled Korra perfectly fine. It was a show that started out with high ratings, but then rapidly declined. It didn't get low ratings because nobody knew about it. It just wasn't liked by most people, including critics. Korra was lucky it somehow managed to get 4 seasons. Tons of shows unfairly got hosed over by networks, but Korra wasn't one of them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Night man, Aaaah!
Fighter of the day man, Aaaah!
Champion of the twist.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Nickelodeon actually handled Korra perfectly fine. It was a show that started out with high ratings, but then rapidly declined. It didn't get low ratings because nobody knew about it. It just wasn't liked by most people, including critics. Korra was lucky it somehow managed to get 4 seasons. Tons of shows unfairly got hosed over by networks, but Korra wasn't one of them.

Yeah, it didn't help that the creators were struck with terminal centrist-decorum brain.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I thought Korra got handled bad in reverse, where the creators went in expecting to have just the one season only to be given three more right as they were about to conclude the plot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grendels Dad posted:

At least the Airbender movie was bad in a memorable, nay legendary way.

Nobody, and I mean nobody remembers the Dragonball movie.

What Dragonball movie?

I think a lot of people only remember that because of Dragon Ball Abridged jokes about it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

Yeah, it didn't help that the creators were struck with terminal centrist-decorum brain.

...how so?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I hate to remind people of their mortality but Korra is almost ten years old and predates everyone's brains being broken due to politics.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Each season was basically "This not-capitalistc liberalism ideology is bad". The first season was especially egregious as it hand waves away the inequality issues that the populist villain used to rally the people.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I liked the Netflix Deathnote movie.
Yeah it was perfectly fine/whatever. It wasnt exactly adapting some serious brilliantly written work of literature. Just decided to make a mediocre almost Final Destination-y sorta adaptation and that's fine.
Some boring choices and stupid mistakes but w/e, it's animetown. Still no more grotesque or stupid than like 90% of anime or western comics n cartoons.

In terms of anime adaptations im always tickled when i remember the Ghost in the Shell movie tried to make the whitewashing an evil part of the plot. I almost gave them points for bein clever but lord what a boring forgettable film that ended up being. I thought for sure from the trailers it would at least be a "get high for cool visuals" experience.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I honestly really liked Lady in the Water when I saw it. It's kind of a weird take on the nature of mythmaking, putting it in the context of this one isolated culture and seeing what they come up with. (And Shyamalan casting himself as the important writer is... kind of immaterial? Like if you had no idea who this guy was and happened to just see the movie without that knowledge, does it become a better movie? And it's not even that large a part.)

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Netflix Deathnote has an Atticus Ross score. :discourse:

(I mean yeah it's missing Reznor, but I still remember there being a few good tracks.)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Netflix was supposed to be working on a live action series with the original creators but they quit over creative differences so it's not looking good.

After Legend of Korra, that’s probably good news.

mycot posted:

I hate to remind people of their mortality but Korra is almost ten years old and predates everyone's brains being broken due to politics.

You don’t have to be a C-SPAM poster to realize how strange it is that the first season is about mass inequality in the economy that is resolved by accusing the poor of being whiners and their leaders as frauds.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 27, 2020

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah it was perfectly fine/whatever. It wasnt exactly adapting some serious brilliantly written work of literature. Just decided to make a mediocre almost Final Destination-y sorta adaptation and that's fine.
Some boring choices and stupid mistakes but w/e, it's animetown. Still no more grotesque or stupid than like 90% of anime or western comics n cartoons.

In terms of anime adaptations im always tickled when i remember the Ghost in the Shell movie tried to make the whitewashing an evil part of the plot. I almost gave them points for bein clever but lord what a boring forgettable film that ended up being. I thought for sure from the trailers it would at least be a "get high for cool visuals" experience.

I felt pretty much the same about Death Note. Defoe as Ryuk was fun and it was a fine American take on the property.

Ghost in the Shell was painful to sit through. Pretty visuals and some cool shots but the writing was garbage and as you mentioned the whitewashing being part of villain plot was dumb as hell.

It's like Aeon Flux in that I know I saw it at some point, and I remember it was bad but the specifics of why are hazy other than "Poor writing"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Fartington Butts posted:

Netflix Deathnote has an Atticus Ross score. :discourse:

(I mean yeah it's missing Reznor, but I still remember there being a few good tracks.)

And Makeup and Vanity Set. I cannot hate a movie with Makeup and Vanity set on the soundtrack.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Netflix Deathnote also has really good lighting.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The only thing I don't like about Netflix Death Note is that most of the plot of the movie in which Light gets his reputation as Kira happens in one montage. Seems like too much work for just two minutes of screentime. Nothing wrong with making a two hour movie instead of a 100 minute one.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

muscles like this! posted:

Netflix was supposed to be working on a live action series with the original creators but they quit over creative differences so it's not looking good.

Ah gently caress noooo

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

And Makeup and Vanity Set. I cannot hate a movie with Makeup and Vanity set on the soundtrack.

Holy poo poo I didn't know that. And I haven't listened to them in years which is a crime.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Pirate Jet posted:

You don’t have to be a C-SPAM poster to realize how strange it is that the first season is about mass inequality in the economy that is resolved by accusing the poor of being whiners and their leaders as frauds.

This and the second season being about someone going "maybe the cycle of immortal god-kings is Bad, Actually" suddenly being undercut by a last minute turn of NAH I'M ACTUALLY CRAZY I'M TALKING TO THE KITE-EATING TREE were what got me to dump that series so hard and never try Avatar. I kept seeing the villains as making a way more coherent point than anyone else on the show.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

joylessdivision posted:

I felt pretty much the same about Death Note. Defoe as Ryuk was fun and it was a fine American take on the property.

Ghost in the Shell was painful to sit through. Pretty visuals and some cool shots but the writing was garbage and as you mentioned the whitewashing being part of villain plot was dumb as hell.

It's like Aeon Flux in that I know I saw it at some point, and I remember it was bad but the specifics of why are hazy other than "Poor writing"

I thought Ghost in the Shell is pretty good. Scarlett Johannson's casting is a real mixed bag because the movie itself ties right into the overarching theme of all of the sci-fi movies she's done, which is about what makes someone human and whether technology can make us more or less so, but the fact that they had to cast a white lady and then lampshade it is kinda dumb

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Yankie Death Note is miles better than the cartoon

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The best version of Death note is actually the musical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzpN4Q8VFyA

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mycot posted:

My brains been broken since Bush v. Gore sir/madam

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

END ME SCOOB posted:

This and the second season being about someone going "maybe the cycle of immortal god-kings is Bad, Actually" suddenly being undercut by a last minute turn of NAH I'M ACTUALLY CRAZY I'M TALKING TO THE KITE-EATING TREE were what got me to dump that series so hard and never try Avatar. I kept seeing the villains as making a way more coherent point than anyone else on the show.

To be fair that's part of the point the show makes - the whole point is that the villains have good ideas at their core, but they take them too far and have undesirable endgames, but each villain does have a permanent effect on the world, and it's pointed out in the final season that Korra's choices happen to line up with their philosophies, she just knows how to do it without being destructive in the long run.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DC Murderverse posted:

I thought Ghost in the Shell is pretty good. Scarlett Johannson's casting is a real mixed bag because the movie itself ties right into the overarching theme of all of the sci-fi movies she's done, which is about what makes someone human and whether technology can make us more or less so, but the fact that they had to cast a white lady and then lampshade it is kinda dumb

The thing is that it's not a 'lampshade'. The entire point is a feminist and antiracist one:

"For a Cartesian philosopher, ethnic roots and national identity are simply not a category of truth. This is also why Descartes was immediately popular among women: as one of his early readers put it, cogito – the subject of pure thinking – has no sex.

Today’s claims that sexual identities are socially constructed and not biologically determined are only possible against the background of Cartesian tradition; there is no modern feminism and anti-racism without Descartes’ thought."
-Zizek

There is no actual difference between a 'Japanese mind' and a 'Caucasian mind' or whatever, so the solution to the issue of the character's identity is not to insist that the brain in a jar has a 'Japanese essence' but to note that she is nothing more than a Cartesian subject born into a certain body. This is why, after learning that she is made out of parts of a Japanese woman and forced to look white, the protagonist doesn't strive to return to her ethnic roots and as identify as "Motoko Kusanagi" but instead as simply "Major" - a new mechanical person whose name is even gender neutral. They share roughly the same struggle, but the point of identifying as robot is that this struggle is universalized. Major stands for equality for all speaking beings.

This reduction to a cogito isn't automatically liberating, of course, because these mechanical beings are still caught up in systemic inequality. This is why we have intersectionality: as in Blade Runner, Major was a white woman enslaved by a corporation and open to being killed on a whim. Her white appearance might give her some privilege compared to other robot slaves, but you have to admit that's kinda splitting hairs - especially since she's also depicted as queer. When ethnic and racial minorities are pitted against sexual minorities, you gotta ask who's ultimately benefiting.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BioEnchanted posted:

To be fair that's part of the point the show makes - the whole point is that the villains have good ideas at their core, but they take them too far and have undesirable endgames, but each villain does have a permanent effect on the world, and it's pointed out in the final season that Korra's choices happen to line up with their philosophies, she just knows how to do it without being destructive in the long run.

This. I watched Korra for my first time not too long ago, and season 4 takes the time to sit down and specifically say that yeah, the goals of Amon et al were not evil or bad things. What was bad was the violent extremes they were taken to, in a way that consistently defeated their own aims. And Korra ultimately makes choices that do echo those same ends as her previous villains, but she does so in a healthier way.

By all means, tyrants are awful people who should be opposed and removed. But you should have something better to replace them with, or you risk a power vacuum producing someone even worse who will take power. The importance of thinking things through for the long term, of considering what happens after you win the immediate fight, is a rather important theme in the show.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hell, in season 4, season 3's main villain is even directly called out for his plan having the opposite effect than intended. Korra's just like "You know, taking out the Earth Queen just made a power vacuum that's been filled by some lunatic who's united the whole kingdom under her banner as an empire, right? You made it MORE authoritarian, not less" and the villain's just like "Huh. gently caress."

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

“The poor have good intentions but are too uncivil” is one of the most common methods of suppression of actual progressive movements and is in fact being used right now to some effect to shut down the Black Lives Matter protests erupting across the nation.

This is from 1967:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I never got around to watching Korra, but I think one complicating factor here is that there's a big difference between "uncivil" protest and actual terrorist violence, even when the latter has understandable motivations behind it; there were pretty fundamental differences between, say, the IRA and even the most radical factions of the US Civil Rights Movement. But genre fiction rarely portrays anything in between "working within the system" and outright revolutionary violence; the only question is whether the revolutionary violence is portrayed as good or as bad. And to be fair, depicting the moral and tactical complexities of actually achieving major political change is hard, and generally doesn't have much escapist appeal.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
I mean, John Brown was a terrorist and he was completely, utterly right and justified in his actions.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Silver2195 posted:

And to be fair, depicting the moral and tactical complexities of actually achieving major political change is hard, and generally doesn't have much escapist appeal.

That would require moving out of the territory of genre fiction written for children, and that's not going to happen in a goon thread :v:

edit: that was cranky but seriously I swear there were like 4 boomarked threads going into arguments about ATLA/LOK over the weekend

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 29, 2020

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Silver2195 posted:

I never got around to watching Korra, but I think one complicating factor here is that there's a big difference between "uncivil" protest and actual terrorist violence, even when the latter has understandable motivations behind it; there were pretty fundamental differences between, say, the IRA and even the most radical factions of the US Civil Rights Movement. But genre fiction rarely portrays anything in between "working within the system" and outright revolutionary violence; the only question is whether the revolutionary violence is portrayed as good or as bad. And to be fair, depicting the moral and tactical complexities of actually achieving major political change is hard, and generally doesn't have much escapist appeal.

I mean depending on which incarnation your referring to the IRA literally achieved its goals of freeing Ireland from British colonialism or then later dismantled North Irelands anti-Irish government. That seems like a pretty rousing success to me.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The IRA were absolutely the good guys

I guess the "fundamental difference" you're talking about is that they actually won their country back while black Americans are still facing a majority of the same issues the civil rights activists of the mid 20th century were opposing

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I honestly liked the music score for it but the film performed so badly that it was never released separately. Which is a shame because it was a Clint Mansell and Lorne Balfe gig.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Not to get too heavy in a film thread, but the extent to which the IRA 'won' is incredibly debatable. The situation for Catholics within Northern Ireland was certainly hugely better after the GFA, but that is closer to the goal of the NI Civil Rights movement, which pre-dates the PIRA, than the stated primary aim of any variant of the IRA., The island was not re-united and the Provisional IRA itself was riddled with British informers and agents all the way up to the core strategic planner advising the Army Council (who guided them to politics and peace). Even the guy in charge of the internal security unit, that killed more IRA than the Brits, was an agent.
Both sides ground each other to a mutually acceptable stalemate, but declaring the IRA to have won is a very very surface reading when you look at where, ideologically, they started from and where they ended.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Edit: Never mind, this isn't the thread for this argument.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 29, 2020

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1310974951864885249?s=21
Well that was unexpected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Silver2195 posted:

Lol.

How many more civilians would they have had to kill in order to not be the good guys?

Issuing a correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the provisional IRA's decade-long bombing campaign on civilian targets, you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"