Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

This thread is for anything that fits into the space where those two circles overlap. Including but certainly not limited to:
- Car anime/manga
- Itasha
- Stupid/awesome car stuff in other anime/manga

For those not familiar with car anime, lets take a look at probably the two most famous series to date.

Initial D (succeeded by MF Ghost)
Originally written and illustrated by Shuichi Shigeno, Initial D is the story of young driving savant Takumi Fujiwara as he rises from a lowly tofu delivery driver to a street racing legend. All of the action takes place on the touge (twisting mountain roads) of Gunma and the surrounding prefectures. As such the driving action in Initial D is very much technique focused rather than power and speed. To make a point of this, Shigeno has Takumi drive his father's 1985 Toyota Corolla Sprinter which, while a fine automobile in its day, is fairly outdated by the time of the series (originally stated as 199X but the car lineup later pushes it towards 200X) putting Takumi on the backfoot in almost every race.

Wangan Midnight
Written by Michiharu Kusunoki, Wangan Midnight is loosely based on the exploits of the real-life 'Midnight Club' who engaged in high-speed races on the highways of Tokyo. Wangan Midnight follows Akio Asakura as he attempts to tame a supposedly cursed S30 Fairlady/Datsun Z, known as the Devil Z. The polar opposite of Initial D, this series focuses on high speeds and high power tuning.

Other notable works include:
Capeta
Shakotan Boogie
Over Rev!
SS
Circuit no Okami

Really though, this clip sums up everything there is to know and enjoy about car anime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgmyVTVc-Yc&t=61s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I kinda hate Initial D, Takumi is such a boring character who can never lose. Shame because I like everything else.

I enjoyed Wangan Midnight way more, theres even a section where the MC has to work lovely jobs for months on end to fix his car.

There are quite a few other series about cars that look cool, but I can never find translations for them. Shakotan Boogie looks extrememly my poo poo and same goes for Over Rev looks like Initial D but with more interesting Characters

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TpFZE1IMjw

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

track day bro! posted:

I kinda hate Initial D, Takumi is such a boring character who can never lose. Shame because I like everything else.

I enjoyed Wangan Midnight way more, theres even a section where the MC has to work lovely jobs for months on end to fix his car.

There are quite a few other series about cars that look cool, but I can never find translations for them. Shakotan Boogie looks extrememly my poo poo and same goes for Over Rev looks like Initial D but with more interesting Characters

I will concede that Takumi is probably not the greatest character but I still like the series as a whole. (when it's not being slightly creepy about women)

I still need to watch/read more Wangan though, I only saw the first few episodes a very long time ago.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

RillAkBea posted:

I will concede that Takumi is probably not the greatest character but I still like the series as a whole. (when it's not being slightly creepy about women)

I still need to watch/read more Wangan though, I only saw the first few episodes a very long time ago.

They could've made the series focus on Keisuke getting on dunked by Takumi and learning to be a better driver. Because honestly he felt like he got more character development than Takumi.

Or maybe have him at least lose a few races (apart from the single one where his engine explodes) so then at least it feels like he comes back and learns something idk.

Wangan is a bit more focused on the cars themselves rather than racing, which is why I kinda enjoyed it. It's more about people who love to drive fairly loving fast on the C1 loop and their cars.

shakotan Boogie looks pretty fun from this blog post
https://itrolls.wordpress.com/2017/11/30/the-cars-of-shakotan☆boogie-manga/

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Pretty much every driver in the first season is better than Takumi, his one true skill is just following every other driver and copying what they do and then pulling a rabbit out of his hat to win. Its even commented on by Ryosuke later on when he tells one of the red sun/project D mechanics that he has been counting on Takumi's magical bullshit plot armor to win the races they should losing.

P.S. Night Kids 4 lyfe. Fight me.

Also, Xavier Wulf has a while album riffing on Initial D. Its pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdSycxbY15c