Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m willing to bet that those four will be either moved to 2021 or put on streaming

There’s a real possibility that Bad Boys for Life will be the highest grossing movie of 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
The thing I will miss most about Ponderosa buffets isn't the food. It's kid food heaven, you can eat tacos and burgers and pizzas and wings and dessert until you're sick. The best memory of Ponderosa I have is a story my mom told me and made me promise to never tell my dad.

In the late 70s, my mom's family went to Ponderosa. As she tells it, she was wearing all black with "Alice Cooper makeup" like some kind of proto-goth. The school principal was dining there and saw her and talked with her. It was a fate worse than death.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Promoted Pawn posted:

There’s a real possibility that Bad Boys for Life will be the highest grossing movie of 2020.
Contestant: what is Bad Boys for Life

(Audience produces vibrations by rubbing their hind legs against their carapaces)

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

PhazonLink posted:

also software/tech should have changelogs.

:allears:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
There is a Target with some other large anchor stores near my work. I suspect by the end of this year, Target, the dollar store, the pet store, and maybe Michaels will be left. Ross is iffy. OfficeMax is too. Kohls might make it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cowslips Warren posted:

There is a Target with some other large anchor stores near my work. I suspect by the end of this year, Target, the dollar store, the pet store, and maybe Michaels will be left. Ross is iffy. OfficeMax is too. Kohls might make it.

Not Ross :ohdear:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
How much can it cost to maintain and develop a web browser? Firefox pulls in like 500 million a year, mostly from Google for the privilege of making that their default web browser.

Isn’t Mozilla a non-profit? So less taxes on all that revenue too.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Goober Peas posted:

All 4 of our local Bonanza (later Ponderosa) locations had the bad habit of burning down.

There was a Ponderosa in a nearby town growing up that burnt down at least twice. I remember it burning down, rebuilt, then burning down again like two years later and rebuilt again.

I swear it burnt down a third time and was rebuilt but nobody else seems to remember so it just might be my kid brain getting confused.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Krispy Wafer posted:

How much can it cost to maintain and develop a web browser? Firefox pulls in like 500 million a year, mostly from Google for the privilege of making that their default web browser.

Isn’t Mozilla a non-profit? So less taxes on all that revenue too.

If you read the article, they’ve blown a lot of cash on dumbass side projects.

Sucks because it really is so much better than its competition.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

duck trucker posted:

There was a Ponderosa in a nearby town growing up that burnt down at least twice. I remember it burning down, rebuilt, then burning down again like two years later and rebuilt again.

I swear it burnt down a third time and was rebuilt but nobody else seems to remember so it just might be my kid brain getting confused.

One of ours burnt and was rebuilt on 5-7 year intervals and it was always the grease trap. I always wondered how they got insurance after the second fire.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Are there any cell phone providers starting to circle the drain? Google Fi hasn't been worth poo poo in my area lately but I don't want to leap onto a sinking ship.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Are there any cell phone providers starting to circle the drain? Google Fi hasn't been worth poo poo in my area lately but I don't want to leap onto a sinking ship.

Now that Tmobile owns Sprint you probably got at least one solid generation of tech they will survive. I don't know how hot the carrier-resellers are, like I imagine Boost Mobile is in some trouble considering how hard they pretended their lovely retail stores were essential services a few months ago but I haven't seen anything confirming that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

Now that Tmobile owns Sprint you probably got at least one solid generation of tech they will survive. I don't know how hot the carrier-resellers are, like I imagine Boost Mobile is in some trouble considering how hard they pretended their lovely retail stores were essential services a few months ago but I haven't seen anything confirming that.

Boost Mobile was owned by Sprint, and divested to Dish as a part of the T-Mobile and sprint “merger” (which was really T-Mobile buying sprint).

Verizon is buying Tracfone, so there really are very , very few resellers left.

But don’t worry, there will be some drain circling ! US Cellular is still around, mostly in territories the other 3 aren’t willing to build towers in. Curious to see if they are profitable or not.

Also, Dish has spent 10 years saying they’re gonna build a cell network, and it’ll be interesting to see the drama on them building out cell towers now that they are required to build a nationwide network as a part of the T-Mobile merger (spoiler: I highly doubt Dish will actually build towers and lol the FCC won’t enforce poo poo).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The market is so mature no carrier is going to go out of business. They’ll be bought up by someone who wants their millions of users because there’s no other way to enter the market.

Conversely, regulators aren’t going to let Verizon or AT&T get much bigger. They only let Sprint and T-Mobile finally merge so they could better complete with the other two.

We deal with a lot of b2b circuits at work and it’s weird now that all our Sprint vendors are calling themselves T-Mobile. It’s hard to take them seriously.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Duckman2008 posted:

Boost Mobile was owned by Sprint, and divested to Dish as a part of the T-Mobile and sprint “merger” (which was really T-Mobile buying sprint).

Verizon is buying Tracfone, so there really are very , very few resellers left.

But don’t worry, there will be some drain circling ! US Cellular is still around, mostly in territories the other 3 aren’t willing to build towers in. Curious to see if they are profitable or not.

Also, Dish has spent 10 years saying they’re gonna build a cell network, and it’ll be interesting to see the drama on them building out cell towers now that they are required to build a nationwide network as a part of the T-Mobile merger (spoiler: I highly doubt Dish will actually build towers and lol the FCC won’t enforce poo poo).

Thanks, good information.

There are still huge stretches of this country with little to no cell service that I wish would get some towers but that doesn't happen unless cell service becomes a utility.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

The market is so mature no carrier is going to go out of business. They’ll be bought up by someone who wants their millions of users because there’s no other way to enter the market.

Conversely, regulators aren’t going to let Verizon or AT&T get much bigger. They only let Sprint and T-Mobile finally merge so they could better complete with the other two.

We deal with a lot of b2b circuits at work and it’s weird now that all our Sprint vendors are calling themselves T-Mobile. It’s hard to take them seriously.

I agree overall, but the funny thing (on the not let them get much bigger) is Verizon is now buying Tracfone, which is 20 million users.

Anything left that isn’t Verizon, ATT and T-Mobile is gonna get purchased by one of those 3 (not that there is much left).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

How the hell does a 5 year old eat too much for them?

And that is aggravating about Pizza Hut. It used to be so good and now it's up there with gas station pizza chains. I feel like old man yells at cloud when I remember those things but it's good to know that it's not just me.

Turns out eating nothing but icecream and crab legs pisses off small town south carolina shoney's owners something fierce.

My parents were not exactly sad when we finally moved away from that shithole of a town.

Barudak has a new favorite as of 11:53 on Sep 27, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

I agree overall, but the funny thing (on the not let them get much bigger) is Verizon is now buying Tracfone, which is 20 million users.

Anything left that isn’t Verizon, ATT and T-Mobile is gonna get purchased by one of those 3 (not that there is much left).

I'm surprised that Verizon is allowed to buy Tracfone. Did Verizon own a large low cost MVNO carrier reseller like Metro for T-Mobile or Cricket for AT&T? Perhaps that plays into it.

The FCC abandoned their 4 major carrier rule in favor of a stronger 3rd carrier, I guess.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm surprised that Verizon is allowed to buy Tracfone. Did Verizon own a large low cost MVNO carrier reseller like Metro for T-Mobile or Cricket for AT&T? Perhaps that plays into it.

The FCC abandoned their 4 major carrier rule in favor of a stronger 3rd carrier, I guess.

That’s exactly it, Verizon historically has sucked at prepaid. Verizon has something like 110-120 million subscribers (including I think all connections), but only 4 million are prepaid.

Cricket has something like 16 million for ATT, (these are ball park numbers), and Metro for T-Mobile is a bit under that.

So Verizon is basically buying 20 million tracfone subscribers to compete in prepaid. Probably keeping the brand separate from Verizon like ATT did with Cricket. That’s why it’ll likely go through , Verizon has by far the smallest prepaid out of the 3. They’ve always been too afraid of diluting their postpaid number in my opinion.

I don’t know where the wireless industry goes from here. It’s a bit better than it was 5 years ago in terms of customer friendliness , but that’s a fairly low bar. They’re at least, in my opinion, somewhat more transparent. But I don’t see prices going down much more from any of the 3 out of this.

Or they go down like they have recently , via things like auto pay, which is a big pet peeve for me. Requiring auto pay pretty obviously hurts your low income customer disproportionately than those who don’t have to care as much as when said bill drafts (all carriers do some form of this now).

Duckman2008 has a new favorite as of 14:41 on Sep 27, 2020

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Isn't Spectrum a decent reseller option. It's verizon network. Contemplated switching over to them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Krispy Wafer posted:

Lmao if you think this is still true after the last 4 years. We'll get Ma Bell and have the Canadian telecom experience.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I just don't get why Fi has turned into such poo poo lately. I can be by a Tmobile store and can't even get online. Go a half mile down the road and I'm fine.

Either way if I go with ATT or Verizon, the price looks about the same, coverage is what is gonna get me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Lmao if you think this is still true after the last 4 years. We'll get Ma Bell and have the Canadian telecom experience.

Any growth will be relatively small. The 3 major carriers can't buy each other, so that part is set in stone and maybe we'll eventually get a viable 4th, but that'll probably forever go to regional operators in individual markets like US Cellular.

And how is Canada so bad at telecom?

Cowslips Warren posted:

I just don't get why Fi has turned into such poo poo lately. I can be by a Tmobile store and can't even get online. Go a half mile down the road and I'm fine.

Either way if I go with ATT or Verizon, the price looks about the same, coverage is what is gonna get me.

Prices are about the same, but data limits aren't. Verizon has great coverage, but they're miserly with their data.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Sep 27, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

n8r posted:

Isn't Spectrum a decent reseller option. It's verizon network. Contemplated switching over to them.

Spectrum subsidizes lower monthly cell service hoping that you keep spectrum after they raise your cable bill whenever your contract is up. If you leave spectrum internet/cable the rates go up significantly for cell service.

Spectrum also gets lower priority , so the service can be slower than Verizon at times. Mileage will vary on that.

Cable and cell phones are honestly becoming similar at this point, both have different ways of encouraging switching every 2 years. At this point everyone knows the cable bill goes up after 2 years. For cell phones, it’s opposite, the bill doesn’t go up (usually), but you won’t get the equipment discounts they offer new customers.

Edit: the 4th carrier is supposed to be Dish network replacing sprint. It’s just Dish is famous for promising to build a network , they actually have a ton of frequency to do it, but they never actually build the towers.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

Any growth will be relatively small. The 3 major carriers can't buy each other, so that part is set in stone and maybe we'll eventually get a viable 4th, but that'll probably forever go to regional operators in individual markets like US Cellular.

Why buy when you can merge? They can just spin it as "reducing redundancies" or whatever language gets trotted out each time.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Why buy when you can merge? They can just spin it as "reducing redundancies" or whatever language gets trotted out each time.

AT&T tried that and had to give T-Mobile a 5 billion dollar breakup fee, which ironically they spent on lower frequency spectrum to compete better against AT&T.

AT&T should be circling the drain. They are such a terribly run company.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

AT&T tried that and had to give T-Mobile a 5 billion dollar breakup fee, which ironically they spent on lower frequency spectrum to compete better against AT&T.

ATT is in the form of direct TV. They lose a few million subscribers every quarter. Hilariously bad purchase.

Good thing they paid Randall Stephenson a billion whatever dollars over the past 15 years to saddle the company with a ton of debt and bad assets and retire right when the problems started happening.

I believe you and I both formerly worked in different parts of ATT. Everyone I know who has ever worked there is super happy to now watch the company bleed money. Absolutely toxic work environment.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I thought breaking up Bell was supposed to increase competition? How come you guys have only three carriers, who added up are less competent than the original?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

I thought breaking up Bell was supposed to increase competition? How come you guys have only three carriers, who added up are less competent than the original?

It did, it just slowly consolidated back into Ma Bell again. There are graphs showing how many Baby Bells there were after the break and it's like dozens, but they were all slowly gobbled up. The irony is that AT&T is almost an monopoly again, but it's over land lines and no one cares about those anymore. At this point they're probably an albatross since AT&T has to maintain that infrastructure.

Duckman2008 posted:

ATT is in the form of direct TV. They lose a few million subscribers every quarter. Hilariously bad purchase.

Good thing they paid Randall Stephenson a billion whatever dollars over the past 15 years to saddle the company with a ton of debt and bad assets and retire right when the problems started happening.

I believe you and I both formerly worked in different parts of ATT. Everyone I know who has ever worked there is super happy to now watch the company bleed money. Absolutely toxic work environment.

AT&T has 180 billion dollars in debt. How the gently caress do you even manage that. There are whole countries with less debt.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Boywhiz88 posted:

If you read the article, they’ve blown a lot of cash on dumbass side projects.

Sucks because it really is so much better than its competition.

Yeah I used to donate because I think it's kind of important we keep some way of accessing the internet not built by an ad company around but instead of doing what they're in a unique position to do as the sole remaining semi-viable independent browser they were tossing most their budget into an obvious non-starter tablet OS. These days it's more like they're a generic charity organization and they actually do support a lot of worthwhile causes but like, claw back that browser market share first and then worry about fixing every single other problem in the world.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

If you have the time, doing some research as to what services rate best in your area is worthwhile, especially if you live somewhere that you can get a map that shows quality of coverage, not just a very small percentage of the signal being detectable, the method the carriers use for their giant country wide maps. It is probably going to be AT&T and Verizon but every network outside of major cities usually features comical dead zones.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Rick posted:

If you have the time, doing some research as to what services rate best in your area is worthwhile, especially if you live somewhere that you can get a map that shows quality of coverage, not just a very small percentage of the signal being detectable, the method the carriers use for their giant country wide maps. It is probably going to be AT&T and Verizon but every network outside of major cities usually features comical dead zones.

How can you find signal quality maps?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Volmarias posted:

How can you find signal quality maps?

https://webcoveragemap.rootmetrics.com/en-US

That'll get you there. Also if you are lucky and PCMag tested your region this is pretty helpful: https://www.pcmag.com/fastest-mobile-networks/2020

Last are maps by these guys but I have no idea how they get their data: https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/Best-Coverage-in-Arizona-USA

E: and if you just want to see a map with number of complaints, which, can be kind of useful: https://www.deadcellzones.com/Arizona.html

Rick has a new favorite as of 00:35 on Sep 28, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Weatherman posted:

That was like the last time we had serious antitrust enforcement in this country

The problem is that since then, the government has become more and more permissive of industry consolidation and now it's too late to do much

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Rick posted:

https://webcoveragemap.rootmetrics.com/en-US

That'll get you there. Also if you are lucky and PCMag tested your region this is pretty helpful: https://www.pcmag.com/fastest-mobile-networks/2020

Last are maps by these guys but I have no idea how they get their data: https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/Best-Coverage-in-Arizona-USA

E: and if you just want to see a map with number of complaints, which, can be kind of useful: https://www.deadcellzones.com/Arizona.html

Neat, thanks!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

Awesome, thank you.

Funny, Google Fi isn't even listed as a carrier.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Awesome, thank you.

Funny, Google Fi isn't even listed as a carrier.

Google Fi barely qualifies as a carrier.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Google Fi barely qualifies as a carrier.

poo poo maybe my mom and my accounts are the only thing keeping them afloat.

gently caress it, it still looks like Verizon in my future.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Krispy Wafer posted:

When the iPhone was first available, exclusively on AT&T, their billing systems were a bit antiquated.

Apple insisted on unlimited data, and the customers got it, but the bills faithfully enumerated every bit from every connection made in the last month. People got entire reams through the post for a month or two till AT&T reconsidered their procedures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

dish wants to kick non-profitable customers off of boost

I was with virgin mobile for over a decade then got shunted to boost when they shut down, looking forward to losing my mobile service for being a poor