Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

zer0spunk posted:

it varies wildly, way more frequently with blanks then commercial pressed stuff, but in both. really down to manufacturing and environment and luck. time ruins everything

its pretty noticeable though, like as visual holes or the entire layer separating. you'll know

all four discs work pretty well. I may rip these just for funsies so I have some digital remembrance of these in case they do end up rotted out in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I implore everyone to backup your media if you have the hard drive space. I did it a few years ago with DVDs and did it about a year ago for my CDs. Already some of them were unreadable.

If I had the hard drive space, I'd be doing the same with my bluray collection.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I recently paid for a year of Back Blaze and am in the process of creating one large redundancy for all my hard drives of media. Probably just going to keep that going annually from now till I die (or a better service comes along).

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Disc rot in pressed CDs is fairly rare outside of a couple manufacturers who had issues (in the UK I believe). I have 2000 CDs many early pressings from 82-86 and have never encountered it.

Pinholes are often confused for disc rot but they've always been there, you just didn't look for them until you read about disc rot on the internet. (I'm convinced if this)

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Boinks posted:

Disc rot in pressed CDs is fairly rare outside of a couple manufacturers who had issues (in the UK I believe). I have 2000 CDs many early pressings from 82-86 and have never encountered it.

Pinholes are often confused for disc rot but they've always been there, you just didn't look for them until you read about disc rot on the internet. (I'm convinced if this)

Pinholes are a form of disc rot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot#Signs_of_disc_rot

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My copy of a Transformers the movie 25th anniversary edition is the only DVD that I've had rot, both discs. Weirdly my OG Rhino release is still pristine.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
VCDs were the poo poo in the early 00s when my friend would pirate everything on earth, burn something to VCD, and bring it over to my house to watch in those endless summers :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My ancient Bill & Ted dvd is the only one I’ve had with rot.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

feedmyleg posted:

I can't imagine wanting to go 8K in the next decade—4K UHD looks perfect to my brain. With Blu I always noticed the black compression and lots of smearing and such, but the 4K picture quality is just so ideally invisible that I can't imagine what 8K could possibly bring to the table that would make it worth it.

The biggest problem is that there's so little out there where you can reasonably get 8k resolution out of. A lot of movies are finished in the 2-4k range.

I'm guessing too that 4k at this point is less if a feature and more of a numbers go up type marketing deal. I wouldn't be surprised if the average person watches practically zero 4k content in a given week.

Especially if they are only streaming.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
They still make them in some countries. My friend has a whole bunch of them.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

As I’m sure has been mentioned in this thread, the real advantage of 4K isn’t the resolution (since a lot of films are finished at 2K anyway), but the larger color depth. HDR is a revelation.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Maybe, but most of the time they happened during manufacturing and no one noticed because CD players can interpolate the missing data.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/what-exactly-causes-pinholes-on-cds.637893/

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The 4K Mission Impossible 6 movie set is like impossible to find now for some reason and that makes me sad

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

man nurse posted:

The 4K Mission Impossible 6 movie set is like impossible to find now for some reason and that makes me sad

The discs self destruct after you watch the movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I didn’t even know “disc rot” was a thing and now I’m staring at my wall of movies in horror.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

I didn’t even know “disc rot” was a thing and now I’m staring at my wall of movies in horror.

That's why I only watch movies on vinyl.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Isn't streaming's popularity going to slow down 8k adoption? 4k streaming is already pushing it where I live (small town America).

I did watch The Sword and The Sorcerer on dvd the other day on a 65 inch oled with my ub820 and I thought it looked pretty darn good. It never got a Blu Ray release.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Wait till you hear about data rot, you won't even be able to look at your Plex anymore.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

mem posted:

Isn't streaming's popularity going to slow down 8k adoption? 4k streaming is already pushing it where I live (small town America).

I did watch The Sword and The Sorcerer on dvd the other day on a 65 inch oled with my ub820 and I thought it looked pretty darn good. It never got a Blu Ray release.

The lack of content will. The problem is that we're getting to a point where the benefits just aren't going to be there.

If 8k becomes a thing, it will be a natural thing. It won't be a leap like HD or 4k. Remember, we have movies being projected at 2k still. It's hard to imagine 8k really has any non-professional use. Even 4k pushes quality in the home.

I think we're getting to the point where resolution doesn't matter.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
How long til we have no pixels and just pools of vectorized color information

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

FunkyAl posted:

How long til we have no pixels and just pools of vectorized color information

h.266 (draft) is leaning heavily on temporal reconstruction so we're getting there.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

oneforthevine posted:

As I’m sure has been mentioned in this thread, the real advantage of 4K isn’t the resolution (since a lot of films are finished at 2K anyway), but the larger color depth. HDR is a revelation.

For sure. I really wouldn't recommend upgrading a regular Blu-Ray to a UHD unless it was initially shot on film prior to the mid-90's, or otherwise very dark and/or colorful, and even then it's sometimes not much of an upgrade.

To be honest, the recent UHD of The Goonies is a good example of UHD not doing a whole lot for the film. It was never a very dark or colorful movie, it's mostly muted tones. I was upgrading from the DVD, so it's automatically an improvement, but I feel like if I had a Blu-Ray, I would have been a bit miffed with the upgrade. That said, it still looks great, and really the only thing that truly benefits from the HDR is Chunk's outfit.

Xenomrph posted:

My previously mentioned only encountered disc rot is the Transformer's The movie 25th anniversary. It was one of a handfull of cases that got damaged when I moved cross country a while ago, so I feel that for whatever reason it got a bunch of extra UV radiation from the sun that contributed to the demise of both discs.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

man nurse posted:

Seriously? That’s so weird! It’s a good one, although I legit have never watched M:I2. I started but turned it off an hour in. I’ve always been surprised at how they made the 180 w #3. Ghost Protocol really shines in 4K.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Is Blu-Ray rot a thing?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

PriorMarcus posted:

Is Blu-Ray rot a thing?

Not that I've seen. I've had a few discs with issues after a lot of use, but I think that's more just due to the number of times the disc was taken in and out of the case. Some scratches are inevitable when you obsessively watch Dredd like once a month for two years straight.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Blu-rays are just more durable in general, for some reason. I've been collecting them for about 10 years, and I have yet to have a SINGLE playback issue, ever. Whereas with DVD even a brand new disc ran about a 5% risk of freezing/skipping.

Now to knock on the largest piece of wood I can find...

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

PriorMarcus posted:

Is Blu-Ray rot a thing?

I thought no, but yeah, kinda?

Apparently, the disc bronzes, which is weird. There's a thread on the blu ray forums where they try and name bad batches w/ manufacturing codes on the disc to figure out if its widespread to a release. Seems like it was cheap plants in france as a big culprit? Interesting.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spatulater bro! posted:

Blu-rays are just more durable in general, for some reason. I've been collecting them for about 10 years, and I have yet to have a SINGLE playback issue, ever. Whereas with DVD even a brand new disc ran about a 5% risk of freezing/skipping.

Now to knock on the largest piece of wood I can find...

When I watched my John Wick Blu-Ray for the first time, there was a noticeable pause at regular intervals.

It turned out that I had watched the DVD, because the monsters at the factory put the discs on the wrong side

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the original Lionsgate Rambo release had a disc rot issue, I believe it was a whole batch from that year that suffered from early disc rot because during manufacturing there was a step the discs did not go through and that led to premature rot.

I think that was my only blu-ray I had to replace because of disc rot.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've had plenty of glitching and playback issues with Blu-rays. But I think the issue was the $20 player I bought on a streetcorner, not the discs themselves. All the ones I remember being glitchy before are fine on my new 4K player.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Collateral UHD announced! But I’m also wondering what that will look like considering that it was p early digital. I’m a sucker for Mann! But why this and not like... Heat? Which definitely has a 4K master, or Manhunter! Or Thief!

I know why with the latter two, just a v interesting selection for what I think is his first movie on UHD.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I think there's a fair amount of filmed scenes to Collateral

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Almost makes me think Tom Cruise has some sort of pull with these releases because I'm struggling to think of a Cruise movie that doesn't have a UHD at this point. Like his entire filmography has a UHD release, it's ridiculous.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The man cut a public service announcement about motion smoothing. He wants his catalogue to look good.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

TheScott2K posted:

The man cut a public service announcement about motion smoothing. He wants his catalogue to look good.

I had no idea. I had to google it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J0Dan0WaZk

My respect for Cruise just increased by a couple percent. He's now at 2%.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

I think there's a fair amount of filmed scenes to Collateral

The wiki indicated just the nightclub scene from how I parsed it.

Basebf555 posted:

Almost makes me think Tom Cruise has some sort of pull with these releases because I'm struggling to think of a Cruise movie that doesn't have a UHD at this point. Like his entire filmography has a UHD release, it's ridiculous.

Surprised there’s no Minority Report release yet. Especially as Spielberg has had some of his catalogue make the jump. Tom Cruise has a lot of great popcorn action flicks though. It really is surprising how consistent he was for awhile there, and how consistent M:I has been over the years aside from 2.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The only blu ray rot I've had was from a bad batch of Criterions produced in 2010. If you have copies of Paris Texas or Walkabout from that first printing, chances are you got the faulty batch and it's already browned over and will totally freeze up during playback. Blu rays typically won't do this since the data material is made with a silver alloy instead of aluminum like CD/DVD, but if there's a defect in the production it can still happen if they aren't sealed correctly.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

a Minority Report UHD would be SWEEEEET

i dont think we'll get one for awhile though

I also want a Live.Die.Repeat UHD too. Get Cruise on that one already. Color of Money as well.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah my understanding is that disc rot, like laser rot, isn't an inevitable thing but something that happens based on circumstances in the pressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

dorium posted:

a Minority Report UHD would be SWEEEEET

For sure. The higher the resolution, the easier it becomes to digitally reverse that awful bleach bypass.