Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
My 5x8tb ZFS RAIDZ2 pool went offline and did a scrub and is now showing 3 CKSUM errors on one of the drives. A little reading through the linked documentation ( http://zfsonlinux.org/msg/ZFS-8000-9P ) indicates I should investigate whether that drive had actual issues or if was just a random error. What is the best way to go about that in Linux. It's Proxmox, which is based on Debian, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I would run dmesg and see if there's any errors for the drive in question (drive ready / reset errors) in the log, and smartctl -A to see what it has to say.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Checksum errors indicate that the disk returned data that didn't match what ZFS knows the checksum (stored in the hashtree-parent record) to be, which is different from a traditional read or write-error as those shows up in the console messages (ie. dmesg and/or /var/log/messages (or whereever Linux stores logs nowadays)).
Which means, in addition to checking logs and S.M.A.R.T attributes (which you should be graphing with collectd, prometheus, zabbix, librenms, or something else), you should also reseat the cable at both ends (ie. controller/socket as well as the disk) and/or replace the cable if you have a spare.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I'd say the majority of errors my ZFS pool has thrown on the last 8 years have been solved by shutting down and reseating the cables. I've got a drawer of Monoprice SATA cables, plus a few spare SAS breakouts for the HBA, and when I get checksum errors or any other errors during a scrub, swapping the cable normally fixes it.

I don't think I'm buying garbage cables, but literally everything in my setup is at least 6-7 years old except the 4 12TB drives I just swapped in.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If you chart S.M.A:R.T attributes and can link ZFS checksum errors to increases in ECC/CRC error rate/count without seeing an increase in uncorrectable errors, it's usually a sign that there's something transient affecting the disk firmware/controller - something that's usually also solved by the power-cycle involved in reseating a cable.
Similarily, transient problems affecting the controller (whether on a HBA on a daughterboard, on the motherboard, or integrated into the CPU/SoC) also have a good chance of being dealt with by the power-cycle.

So reseating the cable is definitely one of the first trouble-shooting steps if you have physical access to the computer.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Less Fat Luke posted:

I hate the amount of waste shucking creates, like goddamn just sell the same binned bare drives with the smaller warranty for slightly less :(

I use the shells to make my own easystores with the drives its replacing.

and they would never do what you said about selling normal drives for less. it's lovely but they want to hit the market of people that don't know how to install hardware to have more storage.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
B&H has some discounts on WD drives for another ~3.5 hours FYI.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Dealzone/di/6573
Don't get the 4GB internal Red, though!

Edit: Be sure to look at the coupon price. For example the Internal Red 10TB is $90 off so $239

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

So I've run into never-ending weird "power sense ERR ERR BLAH BLAH BLAH!" errors with an LSI 9260i card -> SAS expander -> ZFS pool hanging on by a thread that makes me want to throw my case off my balcony into traffic. My 20 drive RAIDZ2 pool in my dual Xeon ESXi server is my baby so I came here for HBA recommendations and any massive case recommendations. If I have to test a drive again with a full scan, it shows healthy, then errors out on the rebuild in a minute again, I'm going to throw a loving fit. If I reseat any cables again like blowing on old NES cartridges... sorry, ranty tonight.

I've worked with Supermicro cases a lot from the beginnings of my IT career so I'm looking at them, but if you have experience with any cheaper ones that are still good, I'm all ears.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Do you have enough cooling in your case? I was getting the power sense errors and bus resets using an LSI HBA until I cranked up the case fan minimum RPM to get a lot more air moving through the system. Most HBAs just have a passive heatsink and rely on the server chassis super-high RPM fans to push air over them.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SAS HBAs are designed for high static-pressure fans (not just high rpm) mounted in the case to provide the airflow necessary for cooling the hot bits - and the same is true of CPU heatsinks, other HBAs (especially fiber NICs), memory (ever notice how they're aligned with the airflow on server motherboards).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

OpenZFS Developer Summit 2020 looks interesting.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Less Fat Luke posted:

Do you have enough cooling in your case? I was getting the power sense errors and bus resets using an LSI HBA until I cranked up the case fan minimum RPM to get a lot more air moving through the system. Most HBAs just have a passive heatsink and rely on the server chassis super-high RPM fans to push air over them.

I thought I did; I have a little bracket thing with two somewhat high 80mm RPM fans positioned over the card on the expansion slots pushing air inwards with the side off. This thing, basically. I'll have to do some digging to see what this card's airflow requirements are and if the fans have a chance of delivering it. They certainly are not the the jet turbine 80 mm fans in server chassis in datacenter.

I'll have to look and see if there is some contraption to allow the bracket to position the fans in the same airflow channel as the CPUs' and exhaust fan, not perpendicular on the side. If some Rube Goldberg contraption and some weedwhacker fans will save me from a rebuild costing a few grand, so be it. :)

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Can also add a fan right to any HBA:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/8u7syj/how_i_cooled_my_lsi_sas92118i_card_with_a_noctua/

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
That's unnecessarily fancy install. When the fan died on my old GPU I just ziptied a 12cm around the card. Worked just fine.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Most people seem to just reapply paste then wedge screws in the heat sink

https://www.google.com/amp/s/josephlo.wordpress.com/2018/04/25/dell-h310-hba-cooling/amp/

40mmx10mm fans from Noctua are like $16.

There is a dude who 3D printed a bracket for his h310 but that’s probably overkill

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/77nryf/i_designed_and_3d_printed_a_fan_mount_for_my_dell/

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Hey folks!

I'm trying to upgrade FreeNAS (or more accurately, install a whole new version - latest 11.3U4.1) on my HP N40L, and I'm encountering an error that I'm not sure how to deal with. When installing (from a Kingston USB drive) to my boot drive (a Samsung Fit 32GB), I get "Operation not permitted dd: /dev/da0: operation not permitted The FreeNAS installation on da0 has failed".

The closest thing I can find online is either that the iso is bad (checked the checksum, it matches) or, if I'm interpreting this link correctly, maybe it's already installed?

I guess I'm not sure what I'm supposed to see once it's successfully installed, so I don't know that it's correctly reading the installer from the Kingston drive and trying to write it to the Samsung - if it boots up successfully and is installed, does it still just look like the installer media? Without the Kingston drive in, I just see a blinking cursor in the top left.

Just for funsies, tried connecting to it via IP (the old IP, and scanning for it using arp -a, no dice).

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 28, 2020

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

console will look like this:

Are you sure your boot drive has space?

phosdex fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 28, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I probably need to invest in some large external storage later this year. I need at least 12tb but probably willing to go up to 16tb depending on price .

Has to be a single drive, USB and external power (obviously at that size its external) I've seen some western digital at 12tb and some at 14tb for not that much more, but I'm always wary of those odd sizes (like some of the Seagate that fail more often are 1.5tb and 3tb)

Should I be worried about a 14tb? What drives in the 12-16tb range would you guys recommend? At this point it sounds like they're all decent and just price tends to be an issue these days.

For what I'm using it for, it's Gonna be used with a Playstation 5 but I'll wait to see confirmation on what limits they have. I'm just curious on the difference between 12-16tb drives currently

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

phosdex posted:

console will look like this:

Are you sure your boot drive has space?
Thank you, that's definitely not what I'm seeing.

It's definitely big enough, but it occurs to me that my first attempt to install may have caused the drive to not appear empty. I'll reformat it, but I don't see instructions on how to ensure the install drive is blank. Is there a preferred "format to blank" option? (I've got windows and macOS.)

Reformatting worked, it's up and running, but I can't get in to the webUI. U:admin/P:freenas, U:admin/P:<what I entered during install>, U:root/P:<what I entered during install> all don't work. Edit: And, changing the password via the console, root/that changed pass don't work

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 28, 2020

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Username is root, I think default password is freenas.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Oops, I knew I missed one in my post, sorry. That one didn't work either.

It’s not quite PEBKAC, but close: the keyboard I used wasn’t sending ‘e’ correctly. Entering the password without that worked.

And now ada3 is reporting SMART errors. Is there anything I should do other than shut it down, and start shopping for drives? Are WD Reds still the go to?

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 28, 2020

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Krakkles posted:

Oops, I knew I missed one in my post, sorry. That one didn't work either.

It’s not quite PEBKAC, but close: the keyboard I used wasn’t sending ‘e’ correctly. Entering the password without that worked.

And now ada3 is reporting SMART errors. Is there anything I should do other than shut it down, and start shopping for drives? Are WD Reds still the go to?

No on reds unless you're buying 10TB+ sizes, 8TB reds and below are cursed with SMR and should be avoided for NAS use. Think the red pros are supposed to be SMR-free but lol at trusting WD, they sell 7200rpm drives that they market as 5400s

honestly at this point I'm considering just going back to seagate, they do SMR too but at least they'll tell you

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's 2-6TB that's SMR, not 8TB.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Good to know. I'm probably going for 4TB (I figure I'm at 2 now, if I double it, by the time these are failing I'll be thinking about going up again). Looking at seagates!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
So I'll be building out my new network in the next few weeks as the equipment comes in and I'm realizing now is a perfect time to establish a theme for naming conventions of devices. Wanted to see if anyone had really good ideas. So far I've thought of the following areas
- Sopranos (Tony, Melfi, Paulie, Big Pussy, etc.)
- Babylon 5 (Agamemnon, White Star, Black Star)
- The Expanse (Rocinante, Anubis, Barbapiccola, Canterbury, Nauvoo, Donnager, etc.)
- Guitarists (Hendrix, Vaughan, Clapton, King, Vai, Satriani, Bonamassa)

Maybe stratify within each of them. Network appliances are named after the mafia/OPA/UN ships, User PCs are the cops/UN/etc.

But way open to other suggestions! Want to have some fun with it and lean even more into my geekiness here.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

TraderStav posted:

So I'll be building out my new network in the next few weeks as the equipment comes in and I'm realizing now is a perfect time to establish a theme for naming conventions of devices. Wanted to see if anyone had really good ideas. So far I've thought of the following areas
- Sopranos (Tony, Melfi, Paulie, Big Pussy, etc.)
- Babylon 5 (Agamemnon, White Star, Black Star)
- The Expanse (Rocinante, Anubis, Barbapiccola, Canterbury, Nauvoo, Donnager, etc.)
- Guitarists (Hendrix, Vaughan, Clapton, King, Vai, Satriani, Bonamassa)

Maybe stratify within each of them. Network appliances are named after the mafia/OPA/UN ships, User PCs are the cops/UN/etc.

But way open to other suggestions! Want to have some fun with it and lean even more into my geekiness here.
As someone who just worked on a project where servers were named after lethal weapon characters... don't do this.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Charles posted:

It's 2-6TB that's SMR, not 8TB.

You're right, mixed up the two.

Anyway, this is a relatively current list of drives that have SMR:

https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/list-of-known-smr-drives.141/

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Matt Zerella posted:

As someone who just worked on a project where servers were named after lethal weapon characters... don't do this.
For home use it's fine. If someone does this to me in a company with more than 300 people there will be an HR complaint for workplace violence filed against me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I named my hypervisors after some of our cats that passed on :(

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

How are SeaGate Ironwolf drives?

Googling seems to suggest they’re the new NAS drive, and the price looks fine. Pro vs non-pro?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
They're fine. And all CMR, so no awkward WD Red situations.

Jumping from IronWolf regular to IronWolf Pro gets you a higher workload rating, 2 more years of warranty, 2 years of free data recovery, and — the main feature for most users — higher spindle speeds for some capacities. If you just want to shovel some data on a small NAS, regular will do the job and be a decent chunk cheaper.

The non-Pros are also generally quieter/cooler/lower-power than WD's new fake 5400 rpm drives, if any of those factors are a concern.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 29, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Awesome, thank you! I don't think I need the higher spindle speeds - of course "faster is better", but like you said, shovel data on a NAS. The other features, though, sound worth the minimal additional cost.

When it gets here in ~a week, I'll probably be back with questions about how to not screw up swapping & resilvering it in FreeNAS - thank you for all of your patience and help!!!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Earlier this year I bought a ds918+, 2 6tb ironwolves, and a 480gb m.2 ssd for cache. I've moved all my photos and music to it, and have started building up a plex library. I love it. Every night it sends an encrypted backup diff to backblaze. I don't backup my tv or movies, so the total backup is pretty small. I think I pay backblaze like $1.50 a month. Just checked, up to $2.14.

I am a computer toucher at work, and have no interest in touching them unless being paid to do so (computers are bad!!), so I appreciate the kind of "set it and forget it" experience synology gave me. Last night I got another 6tb ironwolf and plopped it in. I can't believe how easy it was. It's still "expanding", but whatever, I assume it will finish at some point.

I have no questions, comments, nor concerns. Just appreciating how easy it was to get into it.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 29, 2020

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Google Backup & Sync is such a turd of a program. I'm on a fresh install of windows so I thought I'd see whether I can restore my files from Google as a test. That went along the lines of:

1. Download & install Backup & Sync
2. Set Documents, Pictures, and Videos folders to be backed up
3. As expected a new entry for "My Computer" shows up on drive.google.com with the three new empty folders. So far so good.
4. In the web UI, selected contents of Documents folder under "Old Computer" and dragged it into the Documents folder under "New Computer"
5. Let the sync run...and it only synced empty folders. No actual files.

Of course there are the usual dead ends of community forum posts from users describing similar issues.

I also have a scheduled SyncToy run that I use to backup these 3 folders to my NAS, so to resolve my situation I just restored from that copy.

This experience definitely makes me want to ditch Backup & Sync though. I will continue to backup to my NAS, which in turn is backed up to b2. I'd prefer to have these most irreplaceable files backed up on a second cloud provider as well though.

The main thing I liked about Google Backup & Sync was that it made it easy to see those files on my phone, automatically identifying subjects in the pictures, or being able to find a photo by searching "turtle", and any new pictures I take on my phone are automatically backed up with the same capabilities. Crashplan has a lovely client...Google has a lovely client... why is this poo poo so hard to get right.

Maybe I should just stick these three folders inside the "Google Drive" folder, since that seems way easier to sync down to a new machine. Then just change location of those folders in windows.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

fletcher posted:

Google Backup & Sync is such a turd of a program. I'm on a fresh install of windows so I thought I'd see whether I can restore my files from Google as a test. That went along the lines of:

1. Download & install Backup & Sync
2. Set Documents, Pictures, and Videos folders to be backed up
3. As expected a new entry for "My Computer" shows up on drive.google.com with the three new empty folders. So far so good.
4. In the web UI, selected contents of Documents folder under "Old Computer" and dragged it into the Documents folder under "New Computer"
5. Let the sync run...and it only synced empty folders. No actual files.

Of course there are the usual dead ends of community forum posts from users describing similar issues.

I also have a scheduled SyncToy run that I use to backup these 3 folders to my NAS, so to resolve my situation I just restored from that copy.

This experience definitely makes me want to ditch Backup & Sync though. I will continue to backup to my NAS, which in turn is backed up to b2. I'd prefer to have these most irreplaceable files backed up on a second cloud provider as well though.

The main thing I liked about Google Backup & Sync was that it made it easy to see those files on my phone, automatically identifying subjects in the pictures, or being able to find a photo by searching "turtle", and any new pictures I take on my phone are automatically backed up with the same capabilities. Crashplan has a lovely client...Google has a lovely client... why is this poo poo so hard to get right.

Maybe I should just stick these three folders inside the "Google Drive" folder, since that seems way easier to sync down to a new machine. Then just change location of those folders in windows.

IIRC Backup and Sync doesn't put files back into directories you modify on the web.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I ordered some SATA cables and moved my encased drives on that the other day. I’ve been pleasantly impressed with the speed gains, but it would be nice for a little extra snappiness for dealing with photos. Is there a way to set up caching on the SSD I have sitting larger unused like Synology apparently does with NVMe?

Also anyone have a reasonably priced case recommendation so I can start not having these drives just sitting on a table?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Buff Hardback posted:

IIRC Backup and Sync doesn't put files back into directories you modify on the web.

What's the right way to handle that scenario with Backup & Sync then? The only posts I could find about it recommended the steps I took.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

fletcher posted:

What's the right way to handle that scenario with Backup & Sync then? The only posts I could find about it recommended the steps I took.

The "cleanest" (it isn't really clean at all): just download the folders and put them back manually where they're supposed to go.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Google Drive File Stream works a bit more like Google Drive used to, but you have to be a Gsuite subscriber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is there any reason to not run FreeNAS or whatever under ESX so I can use the overhead to do other things?