Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Spencer Mansion bit of RE3 is kind of shorter, though oddly most of the slow-paced areas are at the back. I want an RE game that starts with you waking up in a Lab and ends in civilization, in reverse of the formula.

Big QTE chase, Downtown exploration, Nemesis Chase, Sewer Exploration, Nemesis Fight, Nemesis Chase, RPD Exploration, Nemesis Fight, Hospital Exploration, Hold the Line, NEST 2, Final Nemesis Fights

If anything RE3 is too faithful to the linearity and brevity of the original.

I haven't played anything of the RE5-RE6 era. What's the kindest thing to say about those two?

RE6 presents a vision for advancements in 3rd person action games that’s as revolutionary as RE4 was. It remains to be seen if anyone will capitalize on the achievements made therein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010

(Snip)
I haven't played anything of the RE5-RE6 era. What's the kindest thing to say about those two?

The combat, with its focus on strategic limb shooting to set up melee attacks, is rad AF

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
september 28th.

daylight.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

They suck.

5 is better than 6 but they're both pretty bad. 6 was the 1st game in the series I just flat out quit on and 5 was a slog.

IMO, both Revelations games are superior.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I still like both games, especially 5, but they both suffer heavily from being coop focused.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
5 is a decent 3rd person action game hamstrung by an annoying ai partner

6 built out the melee into a relatively in depth system with a bunch of moves but the game itself sucks pretty bad

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

5= very good, play it
6= I'd rather get an eyeball papercut than play it again

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

codo27 posted:

5= very good, play it
6= I'd rather get an eyeball papercut than play it again

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

5 is 4 but worse in every appreciable way, but still okay. 6 is a game with impossibly deep, counter-intuitive mechanics it never teaches you even the tiniest bit about, and has a slog of a campaign with awful setpieces that don't let said mechanics shine at all. I've heard Mercenaries can be fun if you can be damned to get that far? That's probably just Stockholm syndrome though; RE6 is a flop and should be skipped.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
5 is very good with coop and I'm playing it for the sixth or seventh time with a new friend who's never played Resident Evil, it's a blast. People are absolutely right about the solo player AI partner though, the only time it's ever useful in the entire game is an on the rails shooting segment where it has nearly 100% accuracy and is killing enemies the second they spawn (It's also much easier to kill the boss with the AI in harder difficulties)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a lot of good bits in 6 but the game really does its best to hide them from you. If it wasn't a Resi game it would be regarded as a janky cult classic like Dragon's Dogma but here we are.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
RE5 and 6 are both pretty dire solo games, though 5 is better than 6 in that regard.

As co-op games, RE5 is one of the best of its generation and 6 has some real high highs and super low lows.

RealFoxy posted:

5 is very good with coop and I'm playing it for the sixth or seventh time with a new friend who's never played Resident Evil, it's a blast. People are absolutely right about the solo player AI partner though, the only time it's ever useful in the entire game is an on the rails shooting segment where it has nearly 100% accuracy and is killing enemies the second they spawn (It's also much easier to kill the boss with the AI in harder difficulties)

Yeah, I didn't notice the snipers in the swamp level of RE5 until my second time through, because AI Sheva was killing them all as soon as they were in range. I remember wondering what the hell she was shooting at.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sakurazuka posted:

There's a lot of good bits in 6 but the game really does its best to hide them from you. If it wasn't a Resi game it would be regarded as a janky cult classic like Dragon's Dogma but here we are.
I think this is a bit of an insult to Dragon's Dogma. I have done by best to play that game and enjoy it and I couldn't do it, even though I tried it two or three times at this point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, RE5 is a fantastic co-op game, just not a good single player game. It's Mercenaries mode is also a lot better implemented than RE4's and was also pretty well supported.

RE6's Mercenary Mode is fantastic but the game itself is a mix of genuinely good and shockingly terrible moments in single player or co-op.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
I’m the weirdo who thinks RE6 is a great game and I highly recommend it. Even more fun if you can play with a friend.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RE6 is very fun if you approach it as MST3K The Game and just tell dumb jokes with your co-op partner everything time something stupid happens (this is every 30 seconds at most). I cannot recommend it enough as a co-op gam. I also could not hate it more as a solo game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Couch co-op RE6 is amazing and I recommend it whole-heartedly. Everything about it very isn't.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
RE5 is a insanely fun coop game with questionable partner AI. But the game gets insanely crazy towards the end. Like the last two chapters of it were so much fun for me.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
As fun as it sounds, my issue is that I don't have anybody to join me for couch co-op, so I'll either have to do it single-player, or do online co-op once I get to RE5 and RE6.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

its important to understand that RE6 isn't as bad as 90% of people will tell you, because everyone suggests that the best part of the game is the absolutely worst campaign and walk away from it assuming the game can't possibly be any good if that part is the best part (it isn't, get over it, it just has Leon it's very clearly the worst campaign by leaps and bounds)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The J'avo are definitely the better and more creative enemies over his lovely and boring zombies... otherwise, it's pretty much the distinction between "bad" and "slightly worse," though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Online coop is fine if it’s someone you know. I couldn’t imagine doing RE5/6 with some random though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the pacing in the game is bad in general but the pacing in the leon campaign is the worst, including the horrible forced slow walking in the very first section. plus basically everything from the mines through the catacombs is on par with the snowmobile section as some of the worst sections of the game.

Kibayasu posted:

Online coop is fine if it’s someone you know. I couldn’t imagine doing RE5/6 with some random though.

yeah in my experience trying to play both with randoms its always some really impatient person who wants to do nothing but speed run the game because they've played every part 10,000 times on professional

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

the pacing in the game is bad in general but the pacing in the leon campaign is the worst, including the horrible forced slow walking in the very first section. plus basically everything from the mines through the catacombs is on par with the snowmobile section as some of the worst sections of the game.
God, yes, that entire part sucks so bad. Hell, everything from the start of the graveyard onwards is just pure, unmitigated garbage.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I enjoy the chaotic city parts and the giant fish part of the catacombs of Leon’s campaign.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

rabidsquid posted:

its important to understand that RE6 isn't as bad as 90% of people will tell you, because everyone suggests that the best part of the game is the absolutely worst campaign and walk away from it assuming the game can't possibly be any good if that part is the best part (it isn't, get over it, it just has Leon it's very clearly the worst campaign by leaps and bounds)

No it's Ada, and the game is dogshit. There's LPs of it, people can just check out clips. It's a tedious cover shooter with very few interesting moments that runs about 20 hours longer than is acceptable for the amount of story they had to work with.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kibayasu posted:

I enjoy the chaotic city parts and the giant fish part of the catacombs of Leon’s campaign.

the city is probably the best part of his campaign, but the part you spoilered is one of the many countless parts of the Leon campaign where Helena gets to just gently caress off and watch the other person play the game

Mulva posted:

No it's Ada, and the game is dogshit. There's LPs of it, people can just check out clips. It's a tedious cover shooter with very few interesting moments that runs about 20 hours longer than is acceptable for the amount of story they had to work with.

the Ada part wasn't even a multiplayer campaign until they patched Hunk in, also its mercilessly shorter. also there are no parts of the game that are a cover shooter, although if you played Chris's campaign that way you would be really unhappy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I didn't hate my RE6 experience but in not sure if I'll ever get the motivation to redownload it and play any more. For me it was a very "I've played every post-4 mainline game and I just want to fight some more zombies" playthrough, that's the main mindset in which I'd recommend it.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

rabidsquid posted:

the Ada part wasn't even a multiplayer campaign until they patched Hunk in, also its mercilessly shorter. also there are no parts of the game that are a cover shooter, although if you played Chris's campaign that way you would be really unhappy.

If you aren’t running around meleeing everything to death you’re playing the game wrong.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
RE5 just felt like bloated RE4 to me. Not bad, but the law of diminishing returns was setting in fast and I was personally a little queasy about punching tribesmen with my big American arms. RE6 just felt like Capcom inevitably not knowing or understanding what they've done correctly with RE4 and the series collapsing under it's own weight again and leaning hard into silly superhero global spy movie poo poo. At this rate, I expect RE IX to be a mess before the series is rebooted as an excellent bioweapon dating sim or something.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 29, 2020

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Disco Pope posted:

I expect RE IX to be a mess before the series is rebooted as an excellent bioweapon dating sim or something.
Finally, Code Veronica remake.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Linearity notwithstanding I think the biggest issue with REmake3 was they just cut far too much from the original game. The expansion of the hospital was nice but not enough to make up for the loss of the Clock Tower, Raccoon City Park and the Dead Factory. The final segment being a rehash of NEST didn’t help either.

Nemesis himself was a let down. Admittedly having him pursue you the entire game like he does in Downtown would get exhausting after a time, but all his other appearances are scripted/cutscenes. Mr X in REmake2 is one of the best stalker/pursuer enemies there has ever been. He just needed a slight buff/retune for Nemesis.

To be fair to the original while it was more linear than 1 or 2 in terms of pathing I think people forget the live selection choices that can make multiple play throughs very different each time.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Linearity notwithstanding I think the biggest issue with REmake3 was they just cut far too much from the original game. The expansion of the hospital was nice but not enough to make up for the loss of the Clock Tower, Raccoon City Park and the Dead Factory. The final segment being a rehash of NEST didn’t help either.

Nemesis himself was a let down. Admittedly having him pursue you the entire game like he does in Downtown would get exhausting after a time, but all his other appearances are scripted/cutscenes. Mr X in REmake2 is one of the best stalker/pursuer enemies there has ever been. He just needed a slight buff/retune for Nemesis.

To be fair to the original while it was more linear than 1 or 2 in terms of pathing I think people forget the live selection choices that can make multiple play throughs very different each time.

Yeah, I like RE3 and will probably play it for a little while longer from a speed-run angle before I'm done with it, but it's never scary. I found RE2 pretty terrifying at times and a friend of mine had to quit playing because Mr X made her too anxious. The park or the dead factory might have been good places to lean into the horror a little more. Even Nemesis isnt that scary knowing that most of his appearances are canned, and you get the huge relief of never seeing him again as a stalker once Carlos hits RPD, about 50% through the game. You never feel like the odds are against you. I was firing Magnum rounds with abandon on my second playthrough and was fine.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Disco Pope posted:

I found RE2 pretty terrifying at times and a friend of mine had to quit playing because Mr X made her too anxious. The park or the dead factory might have been good places to lean into the horror a little more. Even Nemesis isnt that scary knowing that most of his appearances are canned, and you get the huge relief of never seeing him again as a stalker once Carlos hits RPD
Nemesis-as-Swamp Thing stalking Jill in a completely overgrown and partially flooded version of Raccoon City Park could've been really cool. Put it after "Bitch can't even swim", and you get a less sudden transition from Trashman Nemesis to Dog Nemesis, giving us a chance to see a bit more of a fully-unleashed monster man.

But yes, even that wouldn't solve the basic structural problem of the game having very minimal decision-making vis-a-vis routes.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

There was a period of time where some (possibly falsified) leaks were suggesting that RE3 was going to be a loose and more experimental remake, and I was really hoping for the outside chance we might get something totally freeform where all you had to do was escape Raccoon while dynamic forces engaged each other in the streets.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I really like the idea of "we might do something interesting" as deliberate misinformation on Capcom's part.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The reason I was thinking it might be an open campaign was because some of the earliest leaked materials were, if I remember correctly, a map of Raccoon City that implied that you could plot your own route.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The most tense parts of 3make were the ones that didn't involve Nemesis at all which felt pretty backwards to me. It was like his reputation got too far away from him.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

The most tense parts of 3make were the ones that didn't involve Nemesis at all which felt pretty backwards to me. It was like his reputation got too far away from him.

yeah, when RE2R remake came out, i heard a lot of chatter about how if the new Mr. X was this bad, a new version of Nemesis would be able to come out of your screen and strangle you or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

There was a period of time where some (possibly falsified) leaks were suggesting that RE3 was going to be a loose and more experimental remake, and I was really hoping for the outside chance we might get something totally freeform where all you had to do was escape Raccoon while dynamic forces engaged each other in the streets.
RE3 would have been the perfect game for that kind of gameplay too, since the story is centered around Jill and Nemesis, not any location more specific than Raccoon City itself. Like, any game set in the city with Nemesis chasing Jill would be an RE3 in my book, even if the only commonality between them otherwise was the game starting in/around Jill's apartment.

If you absolutely have to preserve canon or whatever, then I guess the vaccine thing is important too, but even that doesn't have to include any specific location. The standard hospital location could just be one of many, with alternatives being picking up vaccines from doomed Umbrella scientists who get killed by Nikolai or whatever.