Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Deep Red is the better movie

definitely deep red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Tenebrae has the better soundtrack and swooping camera murder scene.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ambitious Spider posted:

I refused to see the ring because I was a lame freshman in college who was mad there was a pg13 remake of a Japanese film I never saw to begin with.

Should probably rectify that.

Yes, you should definitely watch Ringu.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Watching Lord of Illusion directors cut now. Hoping for titillation and disturbing images. Letssgo

Also a lot of Seinfeld alumni in this.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I have zero idea what is goin on with this flick, but famke is already making this a lock for best movie so...

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Had a friend come over for drinks and we ended up watching The Seventh Curse because it’s the most insane movie that’s streaming. Always a favorite.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm just gonna say it, Renfield is the best part of the original Dracula, better than Legosi's Dracula

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I love Bela as Dracula but he'd actually be 4th on my list of standout performances behind Dwight Frye as Renfield, Edward Van Sloan as Van Helsing, and Lupita Tovar as Eva in the Spanish version.

In another world there exists a copy of the film with that cast directed by Browning with Melford as cinematographer that is just brilliant.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Gripweed posted:

I'm just gonna say it, Renfield is the best part of the original Dracula, better than Legosi's Dracula

Dwight Frye was an unsung Universal MVP, just like Michael Ripper was for Hammer

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Bella's the most iconic and an excellent dracula but I think Christopher Lee is my favorite one :thunk:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

Bella's the most iconic and an excellent dracula but I think Christopher Lee is my favorite one :thunk:

That makes sense.

Bella did the role twice and was excellent both times. Lee did the role a lot and is always the highlight of the movie, but the movies aren't nearly as good usually.

You spend more time with lee though in the role and he's just a great presence regardless.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kvlt! posted:

Edward was the vampire not Bella

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Gripweed posted:

:vince:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hahahaha

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

actually she becomes a vamp in Breaking Dawn tyvm

that was loving hilarious tho ngl

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

dorium posted:

Watching Lord of Illusion directors cut now. Hoping for titillation and disturbing images. Letssgo

owns owns owns, I know cult imagery and such has been done to death in horror but honestly Nix's portrayal and the cult compound in the last part of the movie really is still disturbing to me, plus the director's cut is legit a really enjoyable yarn, good call

I'm re-reading Clive Barker's Books of Blood again, I deeply appreciate the tonal juxtosposition of opening (minus the titular story) with the straight-up and very direct Midnight Meat Train, followed by the Yattering and Jack, both great stories

also there's a graphic novel of Yattering and Jack that does a fantastic job illustrating the Yattering IMO

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
man I spent the last 2 days reading through 300+ pages to get all caught up and I JUST completed that, I'm stoked, this thread is great and I will barf out a bunch of words about horror movies and such soon, this thread is always weirdly right on the same page as me in regards to discussions I have about almost anything, from Exorcist 3 (maybe my favorite spook-a-doodle of all time) to the b/w classics to fukkin monster squad

edit: well I mean "almost anything about horror" not something like say a job interview strategy for tomorrow

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress glen danzing and his stupid movie

He can choke on my butthole

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

gently caress glen danzing and his stupid movie

He can choke on my butthole

Thank you! Verotika isn't even fun bad. Like... maybe 15 minutes are even worth making fun of.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah it’s just worth it to peek into the mind of a dumb person.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmfao what the hell

I’m glad this was deleted but lmfao

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

actually she becomes a vamp in Breaking Dawn tyvm

When fighting posers...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, I'm going to say that Pee Wee's Big Adventure should probably count as horror.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gonna write these up in the review thread but man the gaps in quality between some of those universal monster classics is wide. I’ve fallen asleep during The Mummy (aka Wrinkles Dracula) three times.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Tangentially related, did they just close the Paranormal sub forum after just a day or so?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Iron Crowned posted:

So, I'm going to say that Pee Wee's Big Adventure should probably count as horror.

If my 4 year old's reaction to Large Marge is any indication, then yeah you're absolutely right. We usually have to skip that scene.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spatulater bro! posted:

If my 4 year old's reaction to Large Marge is any indication, then yeah you're absolutely right. We usually have to skip that scene.

Large Marge is the obvious one, but there are also several clowns, between 1 and 3 kaiju depending on definition, and a cameo by Elvira.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I don’t actually agree but that movie definitely scares the poo poo out of kids. There’s the obvious stuff like Large Marge but I think a lot of it has to do with how it dangerous and mean the adult world seems. Like I remember the scene where they laugh at him for thinking the Alamo has a basement really upsetting me when I was little. That cacophonous Danny Elfman score really makes the world feel insane too.

edit: It’s crazy to think how far Burton fell from his height in the 80s and 90s. Argento is maybe the only guy who fell harder. Though maybe thats a bad comparison because Burton still makes huge profitable movies, they just suck.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 28, 2020

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The_Doctor posted:

Tangentially related, did they just close the Paranormal sub forum after just a day or so?

or is that just what they want you to think :tinfoil:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

Gonna write these up in the review thread but man the gaps in quality between some of those universal monster classics is wide. I’ve fallen asleep during The Mummy (aka Wrinkles Dracula) three times.

I just posted about The Mummy and the first few sequels in the thread and haha yea he really is Wrinkles Dracula. I'm gonna use that from now on.

For those following along:

Chunky = Chucky
Juicy Zombie aka Juicy Boy = Tarman
Wrinkles Dracula = Mummy

Also, just in case there's any regular posters who haven't seen it yet, and I can't imagine there are many of you, but...
:spooky: From Beyond will be on Shudder starting October 1st :spooky:

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 28, 2020

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'll be watching From Beyond for the first time at some point in the next month

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

The_Doctor posted:

There was never a forum like that. You just saw some swamp gas. Move along.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Nope? It's still there for me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What are they hiding...

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What are they hiding...

Cui bono? I personally think the mods bono, because the mods are aliens.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What are they hiding...

Mods on SA have a history of cover ups so...

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

married but discreet posted:

There was never a forum like that. You just saw some swamp gas. Move along.

Liar! Look at this blurry, out of focus photo I have of the forum! It’s real I tell you!!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Scream Stream thread is up!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought it was this thread I asked about what happened re: Joe Bob Briggs and his articles because I didn't really know who he was until I saw that rise to the top (but it's not in my history here so must've been another one). Anyway, a poster responded saying while it wasn't a great look, that he's a good guy and there wasn't any real fall out from it. Just wanted to say 'thanks!' as I decided to take a dive in and watched the first two episodes of the most reason season and I love it. It's weird that I can't think of anything equivalent back home in the UK to these kinds of shows, as continuity announcers as such a thing on UK tv - from kids morning shows to people sat at desks at each region introducing the evenings TV. If I'm wrong/forgetting about late night equivalents, please let me know!

Definitely going to watch a whole lot more of these for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Every October I make a list of horror movies on Netflix worth watching in an attempt to keep people from watching The Forest or whatever out of desperation. I used to do it on Tumblr, but now I do it as a Letterboxd list

This year I got really stupid and included movies from a Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and Shudder. There’s over 150 movies on this year’s list because I’m an idiot

Anyway, I know you connoisseurs don’t need the recommendations, but you might like to know what’s where, especially if you’re trying to fill out a challenge list

https://letterboxd.com/benitocereno/list/the-haunting-of-netflix-house-viii-the-satanic/