Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It's not in the patch notes but a dev post further down the thread says it's fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

hopeandjoy posted:

I don't see any notes about adjusting the AI under female-dominated religions, so it seems issues with matrilineal marriage are still a thing.
Filter for dev responses only, it shows several responses on this topic
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-42-1-1-patch-notes.1428193/?prdxDevPosts=1

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

That response is interesting. I suppose it didn’t even occur to me that “dynastic survival” is the game mechanic and not a thing characters care about.

The patch note re: text explaining that your knight personally didn’t kill so many people was funny. It will unfortunately change the way I think about my knights, as I view them as murder machines.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
My king kicked the bucket and my realm got divided under his two daughters. Inherited almost 2k gold and all the MAA so I should be fine. Kinda sucks that I get -10 opinion just because I'm a woman ruler.
Is there no way to fix this under Christianity? I don't want to start a new faith, I like that the pope gives me money all the time.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Trevor Hale posted:

That response is interesting. I suppose it didn’t even occur to me that “dynastic survival” is the game mechanic and not a thing characters care about.

Yeah, same.

That said, it should make playing with gender inverted rules feel better as a player, which is the most important thing imo.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Highlighting some really good stuff in those patch notes I haven't seen others mention:

quote:

- Winning a Great Holy War as the attacker now refills all the levies and garrisons in the counties taken
- Restricted the Intrigue(Scheming) event "Confused Heritage" to players only, as the AI was going a bit wild with it and turning everyone into bastards unnecessarily
- Vikings should now mostly prefer to conquer contiguous areas overseas (their vassals can still go their own way though)
- Add character list filters for: not my faith, not my religion, not my culture, not my culture group, has no claims, has claims on me, and not player dynasty.
- When a war goal has multiple options (E.G., claim wars, holy wars), those are now sorted by tier then roughly by distance from your realm, rather than in arbitrary order

From the replies:

quote:

Yes the [issue where Crusaders constantly converted to Islam] should be gone.

Excited to give it a spin later.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 28, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Great patch notes, but it seems I'll still be setting realms with equal rights to male preferential inheritance if that dev post is anything to go by.

quote:

- Sternly told the AI that when it's trying to support the player, it shouldn't try to retreat just because the enemy is coming right at it (except if it hasn't yet arrived at the player's location)

Hell yeah.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

quote:

- The AI now only wants to spend money on recruiting guest claimants that have claims on bordering realms

Border gore sinners REPENT!

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Didn't see anything about the clan government/lay clergy 'low noble' button giving cities to clan rulers instead of republican rulers. Once you got the wrong kind of ruler for cities you couldn't fix it by revoking anymore. This made cities make no money or levies.

On a related note, in my last game me and my vassals, and fellow vassals would randomly flip between being clan or feudal. I just have no clue what makes you either because I wasn't muslim.

Found this good fix in bugfixes:

quote:

- Titles with title-specific succession laws (E.G., Male Preference) that match your realm law are no longer considered separate when calculating partition splits, so they'll no longer always go to your primary heir unless the law is actually distinct from your realm laws

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

man, this patch is gonna own. strong mongols, vikings that don't grab random pieces of coastline everywhere, a dynasty tree that you can actually move around

what more could you actually want

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Katana_Warrior posted:

man, this patch is gonna own. strong mongols, vikings that don't grab random pieces of coastline everywhere, a dynasty tree that you can actually move around

Universities that provide an education?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Tournaments would be nice!

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Katana_Warrior posted:

Agreed it looks a great patch, but I didn't see anything about it letting you see a character's approval of a third party.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jedit posted:

Universities that provide an education?

They do?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
CK patch notes are always fun.

quote:

The AI is now reluctant to betroth boys to old women, regardless of them sharing their dynasty or not.

The Strong Blood dynasty modifier now only improves the chance of characters with no inherited genetic traits getting a positive one by 400%, rather than 40000%.

wandering characters with absurd amounts of gold will now tend to spend it all on improving themselves (no more inviting wanderers with 7000 gold and banishing them!)

Reduced the chance of children reincarnating with an ancestor's sinful personality traits

Gave the AI dancing lessons

Gave the AI some self-confidence lessons. Just because its liege is a complete coward, that doesn't mean it should avoid making or joining factions. It should only do so if they themselves are cowed

Sternly told the AI that when it's trying to support the player, it shouldn't try to retreat just because the enemy is coming right at it (except if it hasn't yet arrived at the player's location)

Taught the AI how to count. It will now when deciding whether to raise its troops consider all its troops, not just its levies. So it won't refrain from raising its troops just because its levies alone would be pointless to raise

Told the AI that it really doesn't make any sense to try to retreat from a dangerous enemy while at sea

Great Holy War is actually great

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

quote:

- The Renown gain from alive dynasty members is now capped at 2/month (100 alive members)

This one was well deserved, it was way too easy to get 100+ renown per month in the mid-late game just by having thousands of dynasty members. Seems to encourage you actually spreading your dynasty around to other independent realms, and should make it more tempting to push your relatives claims, even if they might not end as a direct vassal.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

quote:

- Children can no longer start a literalist debate

I kind of like these though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

e: awwww I just realized this patch wasn't actually live.

Broken Cog posted:

This one was well deserved, it was way too easy to get 100+ renown per month in the mid-late game just by having thousands of dynasty members. Seems to encourage you actually spreading your dynasty around to other independent realms, and should make it more tempting to push your relatives claims, even if they might not end as a direct vassal.

Yeah and this has actually been super fun to do, particularly in the tribal start. But then the AI's inability to manage it's realm usually means they collapse super quickly to internal rebellion and get devoured immediately. :smith:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

quote:

A Head of Faith will no longer forsake their religion if your spouse is charming enough

A faction will no longer courteously greet you before calling you a tyrant

Added a 10 year cooldown to childhood events if the child decides to kill the animal instead of adopting it. You monsters.

Babies will no longer be assigned commander traits through a yearly event

Barons married to other landed characters will no longer be naked

Characters that should be naked no longer wear cloaks

Children are no longer encouraged to pick up more spouses

Children can no longer be educated by hardened criminals

Children can no longer be granted a bishopric as they are too young to handle both managerial tasks and religious duties

Fixed lowborns getting kinslayer traits when murdering other lowborns

Infertile spouses will now no longer wish each other 'a long life and many children'

The Pope can no longer publicly accept cannibalism

Two players having a child together will no longer have a screaming competition about the name

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

quote:

The Pope can no longer publicly accept cannibalism

Gotta love paradox

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

:allears: ck patch notes give dwarf fortress patch notes a run for their metaphorical money

e: wait, that means the Pope can still secretely be a cannibal lmao. loving Borgias...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PittTheElder posted:

e: awwww I just realized this patch wasn't actually live.

Tomorrow sometime

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Getting to the end of my first CK3 ironman run, starting as Dynasty Doukas in the Byzantine Empire (duke-level). I got really lucky with a couple of things in the game. Once I was able to create the Kingdom of Pontus, the Byzantine Emperor granted me a huge duchy. Of course, this came with it's own set of problems as that vassal was strong as poo poo and I had to appease him by putting his extremely lovely self on my council (and none of his heirs were ever any better, so lots of negative events from some 5 skill councilor). Later on, I became easily the largest and most powerful vassal, which meant I could serve on the council whenever I wanted either by hook or demand (and later by feudal contract). The Emperor struck out west and conquered West Francia in one holy war and then granted me every county he got. Unfortunately for him, I was just finishing a claim throne scheme and that additional power allowed me to be Emperor with little problem.

Since then, my only real opponent was the Arabian Empire, but we were too closely matched for them to come stepping, so I just waited until they had some internal strife and snatched up all the holy sites while they were distracted. Also, for some reason, they were very reticent to create MAA regiments. Shitload of levies that would just get slaughtered by my professional armies.

Started my own religion once I had the Pope cut down to size and had most of Europe under my rule. That made it really easy to have the religion supplant all the other christian ones. The feast tenet is really strong, but also has caused a majority of my rulers and vassals to die of being too fat. At least they die doing what they love.

Unless there is some really drastic change, this will have been my most successful run in terms of territory expansion in either CK3 or CK2.

in case you're wondering, I'm 2 vassals over my limit atm.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

for a second there I thought the indian subcontinent had succesfully revived Paganism :stare:

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Trevor Hale posted:

The patch note re: text explaining that your knight personally didn’t kill so many people was funny. It will unfortunately change the way I think about my knights, as I view them as murder machines.

Aww, same. I was imagining a game of Dynasty Warriors playing out every in every battle.

1.1 patch looking real solid

CK3 1.1 Patch Notes posted:

- Added ethnicities for East African, South Indian and Slavic, and Arctic/Circumpolar

Anyone dive enough into the DNA or character modeling systems to know what "ethnicities" means in this context? This was under the "Art" heading and I know those groups have their own cultures groups, so I assume this has something to do with character looks, right?

Side question I seriously doubt anyone will know: Does CK3 have a robust enough portrait system to like, invent new ethnic looks whole-cloth? When CK2 added new portraits they were all done individually and by hand, obviously. I'm wondering if it's easier to add new ethnic groups in CK3 -- which would rule and I hope they tweak and differentiate lot of them as time goes on.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm still sad that they are keeping the inheritance the same.

I don't want to keep murdering family members.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
anything in the patch notes about making the Feast sound effect less awful?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

quote:

Fixed excommunication being available for faiths with Communion but non-spiritual heads

Didn't realize this wasn't intended. Still seems like Communion is super strong due to indulgences.

edit:
oh here's another neat one:

quote:

You can now manage the focus of your children even if they're landed, as long as you're their liege

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 28, 2020

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Trevor Hale posted:

I will simply continue to think of my knights as one man armies

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

quote:

You can no longer lose a friend you didn't have

:smith:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Does being a Catholic allow you to push your second sons into the clergy (and thus disinherit them)?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I am incredibly hyped for this patch. I was just playing a bit again over the weekend and feeling pretty bummed about several things that are about to be fixed, including the world not developing and becoming a walkover because nobody but me would upgrade castles.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Is there a way to see what the exact sources of my renown, prestige and piety gain are? E.g. you have say 5 renown gain and click it and it says "sources: 2x independent kings, 70 dynasty members, 4 barons" etc

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

on the plus side I'm stoked about the AI being taught to dislike border gore

as it should :colbert:

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

OctaMurk posted:

Is there a way to see what the exact sources of my renown, prestige and piety gain are? E.g. you have say 5 renown gain and click it and it says "sources: 2x independent kings, 70 dynasty members, 4 barons" etc

Tool tip on your renown in the header

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

you hover over the particular thing you want a breakdown until the tooltip goes solid than you can see exact amounts.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How does the update work with games in progress?

In any case I am glad I got to the primogeniture era before this, my title succession law abuse was out of control. I mean at this point the empire is stable enough that I could blow all the prestige making all the titles electoral but that's :effort:

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Josef bugman posted:

There are some changes in there that should stop primary heirs losing so many counties - I'm hoping murder may be less necessary.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oh the kidnap ruler strat got super nerfed, people posted the at war case but it's also been penalized across the board lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

i

Are you not using the other coping mechanisms for partition? Or is it needing coping mechanisms you dislike?

If it's the first, you can also use one or more of 1) disinheriting 2) celibacy perk 3) marrying off your children later in life so they don't have as many kids 4) conquering territory you can hand off to your kids so they get less of the ancestral lands 5) not forming new kingdoms/empires (only applies when you've moved away from confederate partition) Failing those, IME it tends to be fairly easy to press your claims on your siblings, so long as you keep the oldest most developed holdings.

If it's the latter, then I don't have many good recommendations. The ERE and the Czechs have early single heir inheritance, but that rather limits the playing area.

...Hope that was actually helpful, and not just telling you stuff you already knew.