Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Annabel Pee posted:

Watching 'Criminal: UK' on Netflix and it's such a let down. Interesting premise, great cast, (A different guest plays the criminal each episode, David Tennant & Kit Harrington are two) But the plots are fairly generic and feel like they could do with one more clever twist or so per story, its pretty much always the person is accused of murder and did it, or the person is admitting to murder and is actually covering up for someone else. It has the weird feel lots of Netflix stuff has where it almost seems written by an AI to appeal to as many people as possible, maybe thats even true and they are designed for foreign markets in mind, I noticed they also have a Criminal: France, Spain and Germany on Netflix too.

We watched the first one and it was kind of unmemorable for us. I think it's just a different style, kind of like a true crime story but without the True part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Only just watched the kit Harrington one now actually and I was only half watching at this point but he seemed to play some posh guy falsely accused of rape which was really gross.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I ended up watching all of UK, but it could have been so much better. A show that consists entirely of one room (two I guess technically) needs to have really good writing.

Looking forward to Criminal: US where they turn the camera off and beat the poo poo out of the suspects.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For David Tennant crime series, we liked Deadwater Fell more than Criminal:UK, but we liked Broadchurch more than Deadwater Fell.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
We mildly enjoyed Broadchurch S1 but only made it 3 episodes into the snooze-fest that is S2.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

We mildly enjoyed Broadchurch S1 but only made it 3 episodes into the snooze-fest that is S2.

S3 picks up again once the trial is over. It's a bit more of a standard cold case mystery.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I couldn't even hack the pace of S1 Broadchurch, if something moves that slow it needs to be extreeeemely visually compelling.

Unrelated, last week I put "Justified" on expressly for some pulp to half ignore, couldn't even remember the title or streaming service after 1 episode, but we're on #4 now and I'm completely hooked. I don't usually like police procedurals but the humor and Timothy Olyphant's high level of competence make it fun as hell at times.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Remy Marathe posted:

I couldn't even hack the pace of S1 Broadchurch, if something moves that slow it needs to be extreeeemely visually compelling.

I definitely get that... We actually started Broadchurch once and got turned off by the pacing and heavy style. A friend kept gushing about it so we gave it another chance and got hooked. Olivia Coleman and Jodie Whittaker are so good in it. And I thought they did a really nice job with the small town dynamic.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I definitely get that... We actually started Broadchurch once and got turned off by the pacing and heavy style. A friend kept gushing about it so we gave it another chance and got hooked. Olivia Coleman and Jodie Whittaker are so good in it. And I thought they did a really nice job with the small town dynamic.

I'm surprised to hear someone say Jodie Whittaker was good in it because I felt she was the weakest link by far. She recites lines with barely any inflection or emotion, her volume changes but she reads as dead. At first I thought she was playing a state of shock but even in S2 when she's angry, there's nothing behind it. Matter of fact, if you look at her photos from various films and tv, she always has the same blank expression, like a mannequin. Now Olivia Coleman and most of the rest were very good.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Remy Marathe posted:

Unrelated, last week I put "Justified" on expressly for some pulp to half ignore, couldn't even remember the title or streaming service after 1 episode, but we're on #4 now and I'm completely hooked. I don't usually like police procedurals but the humor and Timothy Olyphant's high level of competence make it fun as hell at times.

Justified is a real treat almost the entire run, save for some sag in later seasons.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Season 4 of Fargo is two episodes in. Anyone making a thread? I don't want to maintain an OP but it's a good start so far.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Remy Marathe posted:

What I love most about Justified is it isn't really a police procedural, or it stops being one after season 1, and it really becomes a show about the main character confronting the demons of his past as they all come back to gently caress up the present.

So what I'm saying is, if you are hooked already on episode 4 oh man are you in for a TREAT come Season 2. I don't think I'm being hyperbolic when I state that Season 2 of Justified is one of the finest seasons of television to ever be produced.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So what I'm saying is, if you are hooked already on episode 4 oh man are you in for a TREAT come Season 2. I don't think I'm being hyperbolic when I state that Season 2 of Justified is one of the finest seasons of television to ever be produced.

I would agree. I didn't start watching it until Season 2 and was hooked.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I've been binging Detroiters which I just found out existed after binging I Think You Should Leave. I am loving the comedy of Tim Robinson, anyone got any recommendations of the same style of humor?

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Flaggy posted:

I've been binging Detroiters which I just found out existed after binging I Think You Should Leave. I am loving the comedy of Tim Robinson, anyone got any recommendations of the same style of humor?

Netflix did a series a while ago called The Characters where each comedian gets their own sketch comedy episode, and Tim Robinson got one that's basically like a half hour pilot for I Think You Should Leave, so definitely try that.

You might also like Kroll Show if you haven't seen that, it seems it was very hit or miss with people but I think it's got some talented people being silly as gently caress and is often very good.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 29, 2020

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I are in the 6th and final season of Cougar Town and the 2nd season of 12 Monkeys, and we're enjoying both. After binging Black Monday, then Happy Endings, then Scrubs since the start of the pandemic, Cougar Town is a very conventional and predictable sitcom by comparison. But it's comfort food, and a fine show to decompress with before bed, after our recent binges of Perry Mason, I May Destroy You, and now 12 Monkeys -- all prety heavy.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Annabel Pee posted:

Only just watched the kit Harrington one now actually and I was only half watching at this point but he seemed to play some posh guy falsely accused of rape which was really gross.

Yeah, it's UK-specific political commentary.

A high-profile 'false allegation' debacle in '18 left police insisting that phones be turned over. It's a political hot potato.

Very awkward episode.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Watched Never Have I Ever a while back, which I found refreshing. Its strong point is that it sticks with its characters, their backgrounds, motives and convictions, and takes an unusual but not belaboured perspective. Its quirks never become too gimmicky and it doesn't drag its feet, like some shows of its ilk are wont to do. Solid acting and a charismatic lead pretty much seal the deal; the writing isn't spectacular and there is very little risk taken with the story, but definitely an enjoyable watch.

Gave Z Nation a shot at one point, out of boredom, but it was too campy and low budget to even function as a guilty pleasure for me.

Finished Raised By Wolves today - I had watched the bulk of it already because I mistakenly thought there were only 9 episodes - and it's a mixed bag for me: I feel there is far more emphasis on the art than on the matter of the show. It is deliberately slow and beautifully shot, but the narrative is wafer thin and offers very little in the way of resolution or satisfaction. The portrayal of the androids is so physically demanding that I think they've cast performers from some kind of modern expressive dance theatre, whose facial and physical contortions pretty much make up their entire act. This - and the rest of the casting and acting - fits the overall esthetic really well, but the story is just a shambles of diverse elements from other, well known stories. It's not boring as such, but I went into it thinking it was going to be hard sci-fi, like from the short stories of the 1940s and 50s, and found there is zero risk taken or innovation effectuated in the narrative.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Haunting of hill house is not as compelling on rewatch. Some good stuff still, sure, but it's dragging on me. More sad than spooky.

Mixed feelings about Bly Manor now I've learned it's a gothic romance.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't seen much about it but if its in keeping with the source material "gothic romance" is a technically accurate description but also a very unfinished thought.

Still I'd expect it to be more psychological and emotional than scary just like Hill House.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I finally finished Cougar Town, in our binge of multiple sitcoms since the pandemic started. After how fantastic Black Monday, Happy Endings, and Scrubs were, Cougar Town wasn't as funny or entertaining, but it settled into a comfortable groove before totally wearing out its welcome for us in the final season. By the end, everyone had become shrill, unlikable caricatures of their former selves, and we were relieved when it was over.

This week we started our latest sitcom that's full of shrill, unlikable caricatures, but everyone assures us it improves dramatically: Schitt's Creek. So far it's very subtle, gentle humor (very Canadian), but there are glimmers of humanity, and I think it's already growing on us.

As far as dramatic shows, after our most recent binges of I May Destroy You, Perry Mason, and seasons 3 and 4 of Mr. Robot, we're now over halfway through season 2 of Twelve Monkeys, which is good so far. Some episodes drag, and it's clear that they're dealing with a very low budget, but it might be the best time travel show I've ever seen. (I love Legends of Tomorrow, but I've never watched it for the time travel stuff, or think of it as a "time travel show.") Twelve Monkeys is so well-done, neither of us are overly bothered by the fact that it centers around a deadly pandemic that killed off most of the world's population. And it still feels more hopeful than watching the news these days.

Also, it was a pleasant surprise that the actress who plays our favorite character in Twelve Monkeys is also a regular cast member on Schitt's Creek. The more Emily Hampshire, the better!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This week we started our latest sitcom that's full of shrill, unlikable caricatures, but everyone assures us it improves dramatically: Schitt's Creek. So far it's very subtle, gentle humor (very Canadian), but there are glimmers of humanity, and I think it's already growing on us.

It definitely gets better. Keep going.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Binging though Grimm now and man those first couple of seasons were just good.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
GLOW got cancelled because of Covid and it sucks. I understand why. But it was a good show and I feel bad for all the people involved.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Weird. Season 4 was already going to be the final season and I thought they had already been filming it.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

e: wrong thread

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

sticklefifer posted:

Weird. Season 4 was already going to be the final season and I thought they had already been filming it.

Apparently they were able to film the first episode before lockdowns and quarantine started.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

In a situation like this, do you think a show would ever just release the final season's scripts, either online or bound into a book? Most people probably wouldn't be interested, but it would probably be fun for some fans. Are scripts no fun to read, or are are mid-seasons revisions common enough that writers' wouldn't want to release an early draft?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Carnivale did that? It was only like 1/3rd of the way through its story but I think they eventually just shared what the outline was for the rest of it?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't you hold on to them in a bit in case some other network picked up the show?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The impression I got was that its not even beyond the question that they could finish up on Netflix. Its just that their contracts are up and renewing everyone in the pandemic limbo doesn't make sense.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
The contracts aren’t up; the season 4 contracts would not have changed. In fact they paid the season regulars in full, even though only one episode of content was shot.

The costs of production became untenable. The action of wrestling isn’t an easy thing to depict safely right now. Also the show has a very large cast, which exacerbates the costs of Covid compliance — more talent means more vanities to support them. You can’t just run 10 actors through the same hair and makeup trailer anymore and expect them all to be ready in two hours.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Zypher posted:

The contracts aren’t up; the season 4 contracts would not have changed. In fact they paid the season regulars in full, even though only one episode of content was shot.

The costs of production became untenable. The action of wrestling isn’t an easy thing to depict safely right now. Also the show has a very large cast, which exacerbates the costs of Covid compliance — more talent means more vanities to support them. You can’t just run 10 actors through the same hair and makeup trailer anymore and expect them all to be ready in two hours.

Right but the contracts would have been up by the time it was safe to shoot again

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
No. That’s not how it works. A season regular is contracted for a season, not for a period of time. A stoppage in production doesn’t re-open negotiations unless studios go nuclear and blow everything up with force majeure.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Surely there has to be some kind of reasonable clock on such a contract. You can't be locked into a contract for years if a studio puts production on hold. Right? That doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
It's typically not an issue because there are countless financial incentives for studios/networks to keep moving forward*. And in the hypothetical you've described, they'd almost certainly negotiate in good faith because they can't afford to burn a bridge with an agency that has, say, 50 other clients making deals on various other shows.

Actors get paid a lot of money to be series regulars because the studio is paying for complete exclusivity. They "own" the actor until production is done; any other work they do, say a week on an unrelated feature film, has to be run past the studio for approval of the dates for release (and they get to re-approve if those dates on the other production change at all). Also don't forget that many series regular deals are negotiated for multiple seasons. Netflix used to try to get actors into 7 season deals at the start (not that those deals would ever last all seven seasons; if your show is popular enough to last that long, you have enough leverage to force a renegotiation earlier than that... which is partially why those deals went out of style)

*Funnily enough, while studios can pretty much dictate the schedules of their series regulars, recurrings and guest stars are one of many things that can make a stoppage of work very expensive very quickly. Once your work starts, you're paid to be "held" until your work finishes on that episode, however long that takes. It's done to prevent studios from abusing scheduling too much and to incentivize making the schedules of actors who are only there for short periods of time as compact as possible.

Sorry for the business-related derail

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I find it educational if nothing else.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finished The Good Place last night. Overall I don't know if S4 was the strongest but the finale was pretty great. 4 seasons of how to be a better person and definitely it's the meditation on love and immortality that's going to stick with me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I finished The Good Place last night. Overall I don't know if S4 was the strongest but the finale was pretty great. 4 seasons of how to be a better person and definitely it's the meditation on love and immortality that's going to stick with me.

Season 3 and 4 were mostly terrible, but the last two episodes tied it together pretty well. The first season is still fantastic. It was basically all downhill from there, but it started so high that my connection to the characters let me drag myself through the last couple seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

It definitely gets better. Keep going.

Seconded. I thought it was just mildly ok for most of the first season, but right around the end it starts hitting on all cylinders, and from season two on it's just a wonderful show.