Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Aero does suck though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jimbot posted:

People have different tastes and enjoyed the level of engagement and strategy it required of them.

what the

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Andrast posted:

Aero does suck though

It's weird that it's so slow but also meant for flyers, who are inherently mobile.

FF7R was really fun though.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
FF7R combat is pretty good, but nothing's gunna top how amazing KH2's combat works

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I remember the spells that I cast in Kingdom Hearts 2 would actually hit things every now and then, so I'd have to agree it's better.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Arist posted:

It's weird that it's so slow but also meant for flyers, who are inherently mobile.

Some abilities and spells are just flat-out better, resistances be damned. Aerial combat is pretty yuck and clunky but outside of that it's just some balances changes to smooth the edges.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
KH1's knock off Star Fox 64 Gummi Ship segments ruled, didnt like the change in 2 to make them more on rails setpiece focused.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

I don't get this at all. Combat in FF7R was bad. Real bad. I hated it the whole way through, especially the awful magic that missed half the time. If I ever played through it again I would set the combat difficulty to the absolute lowest so I just don't have to think about it.

I hate combat in games like FF7R or Kingdom Hearts where you smack enemies around with a sword that acts like it's made of foam and appears to weigh two pounds.

Oh wow, that's a lot of bad games then. On the list of good games that have swords that're sharp there's The Wonderful 101, Metal Gear Rising, some Star Wars games, No More Heroes...

Andrast posted:

Aero does suck though

Arist posted:

Aero worked a lot better for me than Blizzard personally.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

17776 Sequel!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wish we had a poo poo-ton more Elemental materias.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

RareAcumen posted:

Oh wow, that's a lot of bad games then. On the list of good games that have swords that're sharp there's The Wonderful 101, Metal Gear Rising, some Star Wars games, No More Heroes...

Sekiro, Dark Souls, Nioh, Bloodborne, Shadow of War and Mordor, Assassin's Creed games, the Ninja Gaiden games... wow hardly any...

Astoundingly you can even make a game where enemies take more than one hit and it doesn't feel like you're knocking around a beach ball with a wiffle bat.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Your problem, strategically and aesthetically, is using a sword instead of playing Tifa.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Yeah Tifa does throw a good shoryuken

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

Sekiro, Dark Souls, Nioh, Bloodborne, Shadow of War and Mordor, Assassin's Creed games, the Ninja Gaiden games... wow hardly any...

Astoundingly you can even make a game where enemies take more than one hit and it doesn't feel like you're knocking around a beach ball with a wiffle bat.

Well I was just thinking of enemies that actually get cut so Dark Souls where bosses have giant health bars and never show any signs of physical damage never really occured to me. Likewise with Assassin's Creed where you'd stab someone in the neck and they'd get right back up because that only took out half of their health. It's kinda the same reason I didn't mention Devil May Cry or Zelda, so we're going by completely different criteria on this.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn6050gfzHs

look my only video game opinion is that if this motherfucker does not show up in Kingdom Hearts 4 I will flip out

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Sydin posted:

A friend of mine back in high school was obsessed with Advent Children and made us all watch it with him at his birthday party. Having never played FF7 it was even more completely incomprehensible to me, and for the life of me I do not remember a single plot point or even line of dialogue from it. I remember motorcycles, somebody dropping a cellphone I think? That's about it. I do clearly remember checking my watch a lot.

The soundtrack was dope, that was pretty much it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Advent Children needed even more crisp flip phones snapping open and shut, flip phones ruled.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I'm sorry, I know Boogie chat has been banned but uuuuuuuh this happened :magical:

https://twitter.com/defnoodles/status/1310688402304450560

Edit: btw I have no idea if this guy I'm linking to is a chud or not, I just saw it because Boogie is trending on twitter and this tweet is the only one I can find that actually explains the context of the photo instead of making a meme about it.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

:hellyeah: 17776 is legit one of the best pieces of fiction from the last decade, and I say that as someone who doesn't give a poo poo about sports. The premise for this installment looks completely insane and I can't wait to see where Jon Bois takes it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jamie Faith posted:

I'm sorry, I know Boogie chat has been banned but uuuuuuuh this happened :magical:

Edit: btw I have no idea if this guy I'm linking to is a chud or not, I just saw it because Boogie is trending on twitter and this tweet is the only one I can find that actually explains the context of the photo instead of making a meme about it.

I dont like boogie but showing up to a youtubers house to harass them is uhhh not okay

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

I started playing through the 2013 HD Edition just last week after having it sit on my backlog for years, but this video convinced me to pick up the Definitive Edition whenever it goes on sale. I'll probably even play the whole campaign again just to see for myself how well done the updated AI is, assuming I'm not already burned out with the single player by then.

Anyone here know if AoE 1 is worth trying out these days? Also, wasn't there also a Star Wars RTS that used the same engine?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Genthil posted:

Also, wasn't there also a Star Wars RTS that used the same engine?

Galactic Battlegrounds - it looks like a reskin of AoE2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4W3SqRffqA
Sage talks about depression and burnout, the evergreen struggle of youtubers.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Augus posted:

I dont like boogie but showing up to a youtubers house to harass them is uhhh not okay

Yeah what the gently caress

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Yet another reason why it may not be such a great idea to develop an internet following of any kind

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Arcsquad12 posted:

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4W3SqRffqA
Sage talks about depression and burnout, the evergreen struggle of youtubers.

Right, that was it! Turns out I already bought it on GOG five years ago. :v:

I wish the best of luck for Bennett getting to Italy and reuniting with his fiance because drat that's a really lovely situation he's in, to say the least. :smith:

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Augus posted:

I dont like boogie but showing up to a youTubers house to harass them is uhhh not okay

Yeah. Like my knee jerk reaction is to dunk on Boogie but apparently boogie was actually in the right here (atleast in this one instance)

Also, didnt ppl show up Spoony's house too once? jeeze :smith:

Casey Finnigan posted:

Yet another reason why it may not be such a great idea to develop an internet following of any kind

I remember someone once said being "internet famous" has all the downsides of hollywood fame but none of the upsides. Like you get stalkers and people acting like creeps preventing you from living a normal life. But you dont get like, a mansion or a million dollar car or anything like that. :negative:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR1SibNH-lA

tehsnakerer made a video about YIIK. it's just over 2 and a half ours long. enjoy it or don't.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Bennett has been having a very rough time recently. I'm glad to hear he's not cancelling the show, but I don't think anyone would blame him for taking some time off given the poo poo that's happened.

His talk of writing a novel has me curious, although I guess it'll be a while before we hear anything more about that. I've been writing one of the past couple of years and it's only now getting close to being finished. Although, I guess compared to working on a youtube show for thirteen years (!) it probably feels like a cakewalk.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

Yeah. Like my knee jerk reaction is to dunk on Boogie but apparently boogie was actually in the right here (atleast in this one instance)

Also, didnt ppl show up Spoony's house too once? jeeze :smith:

I remember someone once said being "internet famous" has all the downsides of hollywood fame but none of the upsides. Like you get stalkers and people acting like creeps preventing you from living a normal life. But you dont get like, a mansion or a million dollar car or anything like that. :negative:

I made mistake of checking out the relevant tweets. Straight into the gaping abyss of Drama youtube trolls.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

With the kind of absolute shitheels that stalk Spoony, I'd hope they show up to the wrong house and get mauled or something.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I think with Spoony it wasn't people doing it out of malice but fans that actually wanted to meet him. Spoony was in the right though not wanting them to come to his house, really you shouldn't try and personally go to a person's house who you don't know of already and wasn't told where they lived. I'd be weirded out if any of my coworkers showed up to my house uninvited.

E: IIRC didn't something happen to one of the game grumps where a fan moved next door to them and faked a relationship with them? I want to say I heard it on a retsupurae podcast

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Boogie fired a "warning shot" which what the gently caress

Arrest them both

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 29, 2020

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Leal posted:

E: IIRC didn't something happen to one of the game grumps where a fan moved next door to them and faked a relationship with them? I want to say I heard it on a retsupurae podcast

That was Rooster Teeth, I believe.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

JordanKai posted:

Being an eceleb sounds incredibly miserable

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

JordanKai posted:

The Rooster Teeth incident involved Gavin Free,

quote:

Free has been in a relationship with Meg Turney since 2013. On 26 January 2018, an armed fan broke into the couple's Austin home armed with a handgun, firing one shot while the two hid in a closet and contacted authorities. The suspect was confronted by police in the driveway and after an exchange of gunfire was killed by one of the officers. The gunman, an obsessed fan of Turney's, had driven 11 hours from Albuquerque, New Mexico to the couple's home. He was reportedly resentful of Free's fame and relationship.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ah, the incident that finally shined a spotlight on Joel Heyman and made it clear that he wasn't just weird he was crazy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Annointed posted:

I made mistake of checking out the relevant tweets. Straight into the gaping abyss of Drama youtube trolls.

Related, isn’t there a hole we can throw Keemstar into, hopefully without wi-fi.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jamie Faith posted:

i mean i am not a fan of boogie but as someone who has had people talk about showing up at my house and poo poo. i can't blame him fully for pulling a piece of some weird nutter.

Groovelord Neato posted:

yep. still played the piss out of that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

And now other people on twitter state that boogie didn't shoot at the stalker, just fired a warning shot into the air. This is getting confusing Imma just wait and see.