Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
What appear to be good sales on RyJ Short Churchill, Partagas Shorts, and Montecristo Petit Edmundo have popped up on iHavanas and on COH H. Upmann 46 is currently on sale.

Edit: the Petit Edmuno isn't a box of 25 so my calculations were off on that one a bit.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
Get all of the short churchills

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Quick pic of what I have left from my Ophidian haul a couple years ago, plan to smoke the Sancho Panza this afternoon after some garage work.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
That bolivar is my favorite smoke of all time. I have two left :(

I got my patio heater yesterday and assembled it. Came in handy last night when it dipped into the 50s.

I also finished the fire pit this afternoon so we are pretty set for outdoor heating now.

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 26, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I was camping with my fiance all week and that fully ruled! Made a bunch of foil packs, smoked cigars, read books, and made friends with the woodland critters.

I broke out the Hamlet custom roll I got from an event over the summer and that was absolutely fantastic. I kept a little review as I smoked it if anyone is interested.

The Fun Police at the condo association and our landlord made us take down the tarp we put up to seal the balcony for the winter. Looks like we'll be discovering how effective electric blankets are in Chicago winters.

The NFM household is also going to be exploring more pipe tobacco this autumn to help keep costs down. It was super fun for camp. Looking at Three Nuns, Night Cap, and Seattle Club Plum Pudding Reserve instead of cigar purchases next week. I'm a huge fan of Night Cap, so I'm really excited to see how these others go.

I missed you guys in the woods!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Post the review! I love reading cigar reviews.

Also boo on the condo association, that's total bullshit.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Finally got some cedar shelves to organize my tupperdors :3:

Unfortunately they're just a hair too big to fit two of in one tupperware, but I found some smaller ones online I can use on top of the existing.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
My humidor is a shadow of its former self. A Coleman cooler with a bunch of 5 finger bags and a bovida pack.

But the poo poo works.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Kenning's fault! ahem

Vitola: Shagfoot Toro
Appearance: lightly veronese milk chocolate wrapper. Visible seams. Extra dark binder revealed by the shagfoot.

Pairing: New Glarus Staghorn Octoberfest

Pre Light:

The wrapper smells strongly of cedar. The foot smells sweeter, but still dominated by cedar. The clipped cap smells of earth and hay.

First third:
The shagfoot splays out like an exploded cigar in Looney Tunes. Opening notes are black pepper, cream, hay, and allspice.

The shag is substantially spicy. The moment the burn line hit the wrapper, it smoothed and mellowed out instantly. A pretty sharp trick and a great use of the format. I've only had the Punch Egg Roll and Chop Suey of the shagfoot variety, and I did not detect such a change.

Milk chocolate, matching the wrapper, is very mild, but feels like a blanket on the once rowdy flavors. Cedar begins to dominate.

There's something very timeless and reassuring about the cedar flavor. Like an old trunk.

Raspberry pokes its head out from time to time - a really mild, sweet red reminder.

Second third

Very creamy. A much more settled in track.

Cedar has slowly come to dominate, but the most fantastic milk chocolate replaces the cream base for a few puffs at a time.

On the tail end of this third, the chocolate notes are coming to supplant the cedar as the dominant flavor.

Final third

Cedar, cocoa, and spice are all building as this gets close to the end. The flavors teased in the shagfoot are really coming into play.

In true Hamlet fashion, I've also noticed that this cigar, ignoring the flavor bomb for the first inch of shag, has steadily built in strength without my even noticing. It's quite full now.

Conclusion

This is fantastic. Aside from impeccable construction, I'm not sure what necessarily makes a Hamlet a Hamlet. I have described them as "cigars with cigarette consistency" production wise.

I've found myself discovering Hamlet in a big way this year. Between Nudies, the 25th Anniversary line, the Tabaquero being new to me, I've really been impressed by the marca. Really fantastic, I'd blind purchase a custom roll of his any day.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Dramatika posted:

Finally got some cedar shelves to organize my tupperdors :3:

Unfortunately they're just a hair too big to fit two of in one tupperware, but I found some smaller ones online I can use on top of the existing.

I used those same trays. I used a plane to shave off a bit off the top of the trays (plus a little
sanding). Didn’t take much, and they fit great now.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Last night I sparked up a CAO Flathead Carb for the first time in a while. I made sure I had a full stomach and it was quite tasty, lots of prunes and marshmallow with a bit of pepper. I ended up not having as much time as I expected, so I ditched it halfway, but it made me feel better about having several of these in my humidor, since the first two I smoked were pretty intimidating in terms of strength. It was still beefy, but much more manageable.

NewFatMike posted:

Kenning's fault! ahem

Vitola: Shagfoot Toro
Appearance: lightly veronese milk chocolate wrapper. Visible seams. Extra dark binder revealed by the shagfoot.

Pairing: New Glarus Staghorn Octoberfest

Pre Light:

The wrapper smells strongly of cedar. The foot smells sweeter, but still dominated by cedar. The clipped cap smells of earth and hay.

First third:
The shagfoot splays out like an exploded cigar in Looney Tunes. Opening notes are black pepper, cream, hay, and allspice.

The shag is substantially spicy. The moment the burn line hit the wrapper, it smoothed and mellowed out instantly. A pretty sharp trick and a great use of the format. I've only had the Punch Egg Roll and Chop Suey of the shagfoot variety, and I did not detect such a change.

Milk chocolate, matching the wrapper, is very mild, but feels like a blanket on the once rowdy flavors. Cedar begins to dominate.

There's something very timeless and reassuring about the cedar flavor. Like an old trunk.

Raspberry pokes its head out from time to time - a really mild, sweet red reminder.

Second third

Very creamy. A much more settled in track.

Cedar has slowly come to dominate, but the most fantastic milk chocolate replaces the cream base for a few puffs at a time.

On the tail end of this third, the chocolate notes are coming to supplant the cedar as the dominant flavor.

Final third

Cedar, cocoa, and spice are all building as this gets close to the end. The flavors teased in the shagfoot are really coming into play.

In true Hamlet fashion, I've also noticed that this cigar, ignoring the flavor bomb for the first inch of shag, has steadily built in strength without my even noticing. It's quite full now.

Conclusion

This is fantastic. Aside from impeccable construction, I'm not sure what necessarily makes a Hamlet a Hamlet. I have described them as "cigars with cigarette consistency" production wise.

I've found myself discovering Hamlet in a big way this year. Between Nudies, the 25th Anniversary line, the Tabaquero being new to me, I've really been impressed by the marca. Really fantastic, I'd blind purchase a custom roll of his any day.

Ohhh, I've been looking at a couple of Hamlet releases and feeling tempted, and this post might have pushed me over the edge. I haven't see shagfoot cigars before either, that's pretty fun.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
RASCC and PLPC on flash sale today for those interested

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Maksimus54 posted:

RASCC and PLPC on flash sale today for those interested

I’m tempted but I’ve already made far too many international orders. If anyone scoops these and wants to sell ~5-10 from their box I’d be down though.

goblox
Sep 13, 2012

My local b&m store had a box of these available that I decided to split with some friends. These LFD bulls are easily one of my top 10 favorite cigars. Tons of leathery smoke that is fantastic.

I picked this up because it was recommended here. Not an everyday cigar for me, however, the amount of creaminess of this natural egg was a surprise. I was able to smoke it a good bit past the middle before it kind of turned into a big mess.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

goblox posted:

My local b&m store had a box of these available that I decided to split with some friends. These LFD bulls are easily one of my top 10 favorite cigars. Tons of leathery smoke that is fantastic.

I picked this up because it was recommended here. Not an everyday cigar for me, however, the amount of creaminess of this natural egg was a surprise. I was able to smoke it a good bit past the middle before it kind of turned into a big mess.

Those LFD Bulls are fantastic. My B&M usually has a limit of 1 per customer, everytime we hit it up my father and I snag one. Such a treat

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked part of a Diesel Uncut before I got pulled into a work call and then later in the day tried to smoke a Gran Habano Azteca but didn't finish that either. The Diesel Uncut was surprisingly good especially with a retail price of $3.50, bet you can snag them super cheap. The Gran Habano Azteca would have been good if it wasn’t impossible to get decent smoke out of, it tasted like the burnt edges when you bake brownies but I got frustrated and killed it.

Edit: I think I might have jokingly suggested the egg and as penance I will get one and smoke it as well.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 29, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Maksimus54 posted:

Those LFD Bulls are fantastic. My B&M usually has a limit of 1 per customer, everytime we hit it up my father and I snag one. Such a treat

I was absolutely certain that label art was a woman on a jet ski. A matador makes much more sense.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

I was absolutely certain that label art was a woman on a jet ski. A matador makes much more sense.

Haha, I can see that!

Had a Espinosa Laranja Reserva last night which was my last of a fiver. Very interesting cigar that I absolutely think is worth trying, but not sure I'd buy more. They're also sneaky strong.

goblox
Sep 13, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

Now I can't unsee it.

Lyon posted:

Edit: I think I might have jokingly suggested the egg and as penance I will get one and smoke it as well.

Looking back I believe you did. I enjoyed it and have enjoyed the novelty cigars a bit. The partagas culebras are one of my favorite smokes. I would love to find a tatuaje old man and the c to share with some friends.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I got my replacement Xikar 3-tactical in today. It’s pretty dang nice but I’m glad I didn’t have to pay for it, retail or otherwise.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked the Southern Draw Pennsylvania today, it was pretty good, a lot of pepper, wood, some coffee and chocolate mixed in there. Definitely had that meaty broadleaf character even if it’s PA instead of CT.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Haha, I can see that!

Had a Espinosa Laranja Reserva last night which was my last of a fiver. Very interesting cigar that I absolutely think is worth trying, but not sure I'd buy more. They're also sneaky strong.

I felt the same way about the Laranja, it was good and I would definitely smoke it again but probably wouldn’t go out of my way to buy it. There are some Espinosa/601 samplers I still eye up sometimes so maybe I’ll end up with another one in the future.

I really like Espinosa/601 as my under the radar and semi budget brand. Even the Famous Smoke exclusives were pretty decent.

Edit: looking back I’ve also had some Espinosa sticks I rated pretty poorly but I don’t think I’ve ever had a terrible 601.

goblox posted:

Looking back I believe you did. I enjoyed it and have enjoyed the novelty cigars a bit. The partagas culebras are one of my favorite smokes. I would love to find a tatuaje old man and the c to share with some friends.

The weird shapes still throw me off a bit. I’ve looked at the culebras but never pulled the trigger. Are there any other crazy vitolas?

Lyon fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 30, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've seen some ridiculous stunt rolls, like the aforementioned football, and a cigar that was rolling in the shape of a pipe and could actually be smoked. Those are usually for special events and stuff though.

Had an excellent smoke with the Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu no. 5 last night. The 50 cab was a great buy to split with my buddies, it's nice to have a super rich smoke available without having to commit to a couple hours for it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Love that little Verocru!

I had a positively transcendent La Aurora Platinum corona this morning with breakfast. Really got all the spice with a creamy, woody, sweet base. Some days it just smokes right!

Got a big order placed from Smoking Pipes today for me and my partner. Re-upped on the Nightcap by Peterson, and the Three Nuns and Plum Pudding Reserve are new to me!

Really can't wait to show off the new pipe I snagged. My fiance is super into it and it's been growing on me, which is great (especially since the green one I was eyeing got sold before I could get paid!).

My birthday is this upcoming weekend, and along with a vasectomy next Tuesday I'll be doing some celebrating and, in a way, mourning being the end point of 3.5 billion years of procreation.

Gonna have plenty of good smokes, though! I've been stashing away some good stuff for the date, doesn't hurt that we're tightening the belt here to make it extra special.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Thanks for reminding me to do a consult with my urologist. Two kids is enough for my wife and I.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Bastion of Sexual Anarchy
Same

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I got some things in the mail today,

This hat is now the center of my persona and I will be living life accordingly.

I’m smoking a LAdC from the box right now and I’ve got to say after trying some Cubans this actually does have a similar characteristic to it. I’m not sure exactly what it is or what the flavor is, maybe a sort of barnyard funk or “horse blanket” as people say in the beer world? I’m not sure but it’s definitely not too far off the mark. I don’t know that I need 20 of these but it was worth it for the hat.

Edit: Kenning did you get the My Father La Promesa? I think you’d love it if you like that leather flavor profile. I just smoked one and it’s really good and leathery. Leather, wood, with a slight underlying sweetness.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 2, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yes! I have a box of lanceros coming on Tuesday and I'm very excited! I'm just really in love with lanceros lately, the Leafs I've been smoking have been delightful. I had a La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor a couple weeks ago and really liked it. It was a little perfumey and a little funky, which is awesome.

So thread, it's my birthday today (Friday) and I've decided on a birthday cigar.

This is a 9.25 x 48 DPG Blue I got as a single from CA a month or so ago. I'm going to post up and smoke this on the deck and invite friends and family to come drop in on video chat. It's not quite the same as a birthday party, but I think it'll be a fun COVID alternative. I'll definitely deliver my impressions of the cigar once the night is over!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hahahaha hell yeah those things rule! I think they're called Exclusivos or something. They're wonderful, I hope you love it!

And happy birthday fellow celebrator! I'm doing my main celebrating tomorrow, Sunday is the actual day.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Happy birthday ya filthy animals!!!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Cheers man, thanks!

NewFatMike posted:

Hahahaha hell yeah those things rule! I think they're called Exclusivos or something. They're wonderful, I hope you love it!

And happy birthday fellow celebrator! I'm doing my main celebrating tomorrow, Sunday is the actual day.

Yeah, it's an Exclusivo. Glad it comes well-recommended! And I hope you get to enjoy some fun smokes this weekend as well. Happy birthday!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Wow folks, cigarbid is awesome. So awesome, my first tupperdor is at absolute max capacity and i cant fit all my sticks inside it now. Have 6 that are in a plastic ziplock bag right now.

I did not foresee this coming.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Looks like someone needs to upgrade to a bigger box!

There are some excellent deals on Cigar Bid! That said, I've become wary of listings on Cigar Bid that aren't whole boxes. I think they part out boxes into 5 and 10 packs in order to move product that's been sitting around, and I think it's more likely that 5 and 10 pack listings will be dry. Also, with their, um, economy shipping standards I feel like the cigars in the boxes are less likely to get damaged in transit at all. I've been meaning to do a Cigar Bid round again, since I've done several on Cigar Auctioneer and the prices are someone lower as a rule on CB.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

In a very, very cool Zoom event with Manuel Inoa, the master blender at La Aurora. It's extremely awesome event. Gonna be having an Hors d'Ages 2017 tomorrow for my birthday, having the 115th tonight. Got a 2018 Hors d'Ages hiding in my humidor as well.

I love La Aurora so much. Happy birthday indeed!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Kenning posted:

Looks like someone needs to upgrade to a bigger box!

I think ill start a second one, the first one i have is a pretty good size, i have 2 of those cedar trays in there. Unless sistema makes a taller one or something that could fit 3-4 trays. The width and depth of the one i have now is perfect.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I think ill start a second one, the first one i have is a pretty good size, i have 2 of those cedar trays in there. Unless sistema makes a taller one or something that could fit 3-4 trays. The width and depth of the one i have now is perfect.

I have six full ones and more cigars coming. My name is Dave and I’m a cigaraholic.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Smoking a boli pc a fellow goon sent and goddamn I forgot how much I love these.

Especially after a super disappointing monsdales.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That La Aurora 115 was pretty excellent, almost a diet Hors D'Age. Great spice, with the cream to fall right back on.

I'll be having a 2017 and 2018 Hors D'Age tomorrow. loving psyched!

E: Up Down Cigar, my go to in Chicago, is out of the 2018, so I'll be extra relishing it.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I may have found someone selling small packs of the partagas maduro no 1 which is one CC I have really been wanting to try but they are not cheap. I may have to say gently caress it and buy them.

E: all gone :(

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 3, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
What’s the deal with Lost and Found cigars? Has anyone tried any of the different offerings? I guess they’re supposedly small batch cigars that got lost in the aging rooms of factories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Probably some marketing wank for factory seconds cigars.