Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

That's a weird way to seed when all the teams involved are the lower seeds (though there's no homefield advantage to make that matter much) but OK, I guess that makes sense. Messed up seeding is a baseball wild card tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Is there a real reason I should worry about the Astros winning the AL pennant above the normal small-sample-size chaos?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Is there a real reason I should worry about the Astros winning the AL pennant above the normal small-sample-size chaos?

No

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Hahahahaha no. The rotation and bullpen are spotty at best, the bats are ice cold, and there’s always that X Factor of whether or not Dusty will pull your starter early for no reason during the occasional good start. They’re almost certainly going home in the first round. Even if they squeak two wins against the Twins there’s no way they’re beating the A’s or the Sox.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i know it won't happen because of veteran presence and really because he's been pretty decent against non-White Sox teams but i'd be curious to see Alzolay start a Game 3 over Lester.

they can pull Alzolay early and put in Lester.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

i know it won't happen because of veteran presence and really because he's been pretty decent against non-White Sox teams but i'd be curious to see Alzolay start a Game 3 over Lester.

they can pull Alzolay early and put in Lester.

:same:

I get that Lester has ~postseason experience~ but he's also beyond washed up, he is at best 5th starter material at this point and I'm sick of the Cubs treating him like he's still a front of the rotation guy. Q is presumably going to be in the pen as well so set the rotation as Yu, Hendricks, Alzolay, and have an amorphous combo of Lester/Q/Mills piggyback as needed.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

That's a weird way to seed when all the teams involved are the lower seeds (though there's no homefield advantage to make that matter much) but OK, I guess that makes sense. Messed up seeding is a baseball wild card tradition.

The first round series is hosted at the higher seed's ballpark, so home field is very much real.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Cubs have to reach the WS, sacrifice Schwarber to the Old Ones, and then be swept in order to reseal the Hell Gate.

:hmmyes:

But seriously, I'd like a team not from the AL East that hasn't won in a while to win.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/brookob/status/1310633470545231872

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Red Sox fired their manager apparently, wonder if they're just going to rehire Cora once his suspension is served.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Dakota Hudson needs TJS and is likely out 2021 :(

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/faridyu/status/1310646869710823428

:hmmyes:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Yu owns so much lol

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

If the Twins end up having Astudillo on the playoff roster, they will win it all. I feel it in my heart.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

k-spar posted:

If the Twins end up having Astudillo on the playoff roster, they will win it all. I feel it in my heart.

he is the fourth best catcher on the team so they likely will not

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Andy "if we don't make the playoffs, we dont" MacPhail

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Not expecting it but it would be cool and good if the Jays won a series.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm ok with the Cubs getting clowned on by the Marlins. All the more funny when they beat the dodgers.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mattingly's Revenge

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Whatever happened to Puig? I know he caught the rona near the start of the season, but presumably he's long since over it? I'm surprised zero teams tried to roll the dice on him.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I am worried that baseball will take this year as an opportunity to just soft-blackball Puig. They've done it to better players before.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Go: Yankees

OK: Everybody not below

No: Astros, Rays, Cards (I guess, honestly I can't really even muster the effort to hate on them anymore.)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The Blue Jays are starting Matt Shoemaker in game 1. Unless they specifically want an extra day of rest for Ryu, this seems potentially quite foolish.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

The Blue Jays are starting Matt Shoemaker in game 1. Unless they specifically want an extra day of rest for Ryu, this seems potentially quite foolish.

I think that’s the plan, they’ve been talking about how Ryu is better with an extra day off or w/e

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Cards (I guess, honestly I can't really even muster the effort to hate on them anymore.)
I feel like Cardinals hate lies dormant but is easily re-activated as soon as their Devil Magic is

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

bawfuls posted:

I feel like Cardinals hate lies dormant but is easily re-activated as soon as their Devil Magic is

Cardinals hate resides deep in the lizard brain, like a great many of their fans’ mental processes (present company excepted).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I can't even be all that mad about the Cardinals this year, they've had a ton of injuries and Flaherty turned into a pumpkin. The fact that despite these they still managed to navigate an incredibly brutal schedule as MLB tried to pack in all their COVID makeups and come in second for the division is impressive as hell.

That said I would appreciate it if they lost in the first round.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Tommy Edman will be World Series MVP

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sydin posted:

Whatever happened to Puig? I know he caught the rona near the start of the season, but presumably he's long since over it? I'm surprised zero teams tried to roll the dice on him.
Nobody touched him after the Covid thing. I still haven't heard anything but I wonder if this might be it for him in the majors.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nobody touched him after the Covid thing. I still haven't heard anything but I wonder if this might be it for him in the majors.

The thought of Bill James smugly tweeting something about the end of his MLB career is loving nauseating.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Random request but does anyone have John Kruk’s Fancy Nut saved? Been scrubbed from the Internet.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hand Knit posted:

Ryu is better with extra rest and Shoemaker is 4-0 against the Rays (hehe pitcher wins)
It isn't a terrible plan but we will see.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Acceptable
1) Cleveland - Lindor, my family’s from The Cleve
2) Jays - Fun team, a Biggio, S-Tier unis
3) Astros - Chaos Reigns, people will get angrier at Manfred
4) Rays - Morton, Chaos Reigns Lite
5) Twins - Marwin, even more S-Tier unis
6) Cubs - There’s just so many cubsposters, it’ll bring us full circle to 2016 and hopefully end this bullshit era

Ambivalent
Padres
Brewers
Dodgers
Braves
Cardinals
White Sox
A’s

No
Yankees
Marlins - Jeets doesn’t get to demolish a team and then celebrate a WS win right after, Justice for the Dinger Machine RIP
Reds - gently caress Bauer (sorry Votto)

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Yankees only so the rest of you spend the winter crying

jk this team has major DGAF energy and might embarrass themselves in these two games

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/1310729656027541504?s=21

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I don't like the Padres but a Pads/Jays WS matchup would be hella fun.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

Go: Yankees

OK: Everybody not below

No: Astros, Rays, Cards (I guess, honestly I can't really even muster the effort to hate on them anymore.)

The cards gave us our Beefy Lad Hero, so I can't hate them while he's on the team.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Do most systems have a catching coordinator? Hadn't noticed before.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

From what I have been hearing, a lot of player dev positions at the MLB level are getting axed this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

in addition to how great he has been pitching, i should point out that yu darvish has incredible hair this season